HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boy O Boy - These kids are GOOD!

View Poll Results: Which young D would take from this bunch?
CAL - Phaneuf 55 71.43%
CHI - Seabrook 3 3.90%
NYR - Tyutin 2 2.60%
OTT - Meszaros 5 6.49%
PHO - Ballard 7 9.09%
PHO - Michalek 1 1.30%
PIT - Whitney 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Boy O Boy - These kids are GOOD!

Anyone have the pleasure of watching any of these young rookie defensemen this season? I'm jealous as hell that we don't have any of these studs, we sure could use one.

If you could chose one, who would it be? I take Dion Phaneuf, hands down. I wanted to the Sabres to draft this guy, I wish I could find the old thread on it...

I've listed my 7 favourites, I know there are other good ones too..

Old
11-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
All of the above....

11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
All of the above....

Meszaros was a homer pick. I love what he is doing for the Senators.

But I am pretty sure that Phaneuf will have the better career.

Old
11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I'd rank them as so :

1. Phaneuf
2. Tyutin
3. Whitney
4. Meszaros
5. Seabrook
6. Ballard
7. Michalek

Old
11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Rowley Birkin

Mezsaros. man, was i annoyed that we grabbed Stafford instead of him. and i'm not using the benefit of hindsight because i said the same thing at the time of the draft. especially since the Oilers wanted to trade up to get Stafford.

Phaneuf is probably the best all rounder of the bunch, and definately the most highly rated, but i'd take Vanek over him every day.

Michalek is an interesting one. kinda below the radar almost. i was in a hockey sim league about a year or so ago, and drafted him in the 30something'th round. shame the commishes were *******s and they folded the competition......

anyway, i know the Sabres lack top end talent but i'm really liking the pool of mid level D prospects we've got over the last couple of drafts. Sekera and Gragnani in particular are very interesting guys. and there were a couple of people here really high on Buravchikov {sp} as well. its not all doom and gloom.

Old
11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Meszaros was a homer pick. I love what he is doing for the Senators.

But I am pretty sure that Phaneuf will have the better career.
Meszaros is more galling than Havlat in that he was THERE, with a known need on the blueline. It seems too many people like him on draft day, not enough loved him --- at least not enough on the Sabres scouting and personnel staff. I like Stafford's game. I love Meszaros' game.

Old
11-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Phaneuf is probably the best all rounder of the bunch, and definately the most highly rated, but i'd take Vanek over him every day.
Phaneuf has a long way to go before becoming an elite #1 defender, but he sure is on his way. He's emerging as a leader on a Flames team that is full of character players. Unless Vanek becomes the next Jaromir Jagr, I'll take Phaneuf, because he's the next Scott Stevens type IMO.

Old
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
jpb

Especially ironic is that the Sabres had Ballard and should have had Meszaros. I like what Drury brings to the table, but too much overpayment going on, in assets given up and salary being paid.

Old
11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Don't forget about Steve Eminger.

Old
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Booooooh, no Pitkänen?

From those? Phaneuf.

Old
11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Unless Vanek becomes the next Jaromir Jagr, I'll take Phaneuf, because he's the next Scott Stevens type IMO.
if you are expecting Vanek to be the most dominant offensive player in the game, then i think your aiming a little high.

at the time the Vanek pick was a no brainer, and its a decision i'm happy with as a fan. to this day. i know your critical of him at the moment and i can't remember your earlier opinions of him so forgive me if i'm wrongly accusing you here, but a lot of people here are up and down on the guy as often as a hooker's drawers.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Phaneuf is a bad player by any stretch... it would have been nice to have two top ten picks in that draft.

the Meszaros one hurts because we could and should have picked him. that was the blatantly obvious move as far as many fans were concerned at the time. especially as the Oilers wanted Stafford so badly.

Last edited by Rowley Birkin: 11-08-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old
11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
if you are expecting Vanek to be the most dominant offensive player in the game, then i think your aiming a little high.

at the time the Vanek pick was a no brainer, and its a decision i'm happy with as a fan. to this day. i know your critical of him at the moment and i can't remember your earlier opinions of him so forgive me if i'm wrongly accusing you here, but a lot of people here are up and down on the guy as often as a hooker's drawers.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Phaneuf is a bad player by any stretch... it would have been nice to have two top ten picks in that draft.

the Meszaros one hurts because we could and should have picked him. that was the blatantly obvious move as far as many fans were concerned at the time. especially as the Oilers wanted Stafford so badly.

Rowley I think I confused you with the Jagr comment. What I was trying to say was that I expect Phaneuf to become one of the best (if not the best) D-man of his era. Therefore I was saying that unless Vanek is going to be one of the most dominant offensive players of his time, I'd prefer Phaneuf, because I have him billed as the next Scott Stevens. A guy that dominates on the PK, the PP, 5 on 5 and carries a nasty mean streak to go along with the package. I was Vanek's biggest fan before the season started due to his play in pre season and in the first couple of games in the year, where it could be argued that he was our most dangerous player. Since then he's disappointed me, and most will say that he's been the most disappointing rookie so far. It's still early and I have not given up on him. I think my stance on TV is pretty clear, so I'll stop right here.

Old
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke
Booooooh, no Pitkänen?

From those? Phaneuf.
This was a list of the best rookie defensemen.

Old
11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Just to be contrary, I voted Tjutin. Plus, I'm already sick of Phaneuf.

Old
11-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Just to be contrary, I voted Tjutin. Plus, I'm already sick of Phaneuf.
Definitely one good thing to come out of the Crosby Hype Factory is that it has absorbed the Phaneuf Hype Factory.

Old
11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
What's up with Ryan Suter? Is he playing in the NHL?

Old
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
What's up with Ryan Suter? Is he playing in the NHL?
Yup he's playing in Nashville, from what I heard (at least early in the season) was that he is playing with Hamhuis.

Old
11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Definitely one good thing to come out of the Crosby Hype Factory is that it has absorbed the Phaneuf Hype Factory.
Hate it or Love it, those are 2 guys that are the future of the NHL. Hype or no hype, they are performing at a very, very high level.

EDIT: Crosby would be contending with Briere as our best forward, and Phaneuf would already be our best defenseman. And this is not hype talking, this is from watching them play. Kalinin couldn't hold Dion's jockstrap right now.

Old
11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Hate it or Love it, those are 2 guys that are the future of the NHL. Hype or no hype, they are performing at a very, very high level.

EDIT: Crosby would be contending with Briere as our best forward, and Phaneuf would already be our best defenseman. And this is not hype talking, this is from watching them play. Kalinin couldn't hold Dion's jockstrap right now.
And...? Nothing in my post indicated anything negative about either guy.

Old
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Rowley I think I confused you with the Jagr comment. What I was trying to say was that I expect Phaneuf to become one of the best (if not the best) D-man of his era. Therefore I was saying that unless Vanek is going to be one of the most dominant offensive players of his time, I'd prefer Phaneuf, because I have him billed as the next Scott Stevens. A guy that dominates on the PK, the PP, 5 on 5 and carries a nasty mean streak to go along with the package. I was Vanek's biggest fan before the season started due to his play in pre season and in the first couple of games in the year, where it could be argued that he was our most dangerous player. Since then he's disappointed me, and most will say that he's been the most disappointing rookie so far. It's still early and I have not given up on him. I think my stance on TV is pretty clear, so I'll stop right here.
i understood what you meant, but its some expectation asking any player to be 'the next Jagr', even if they are called Ovechkin. i also think its too early to be calling Phaneuf 'the next Stevens' as that is some kinda big pressure as well. i must admit, i always thought Stevens was a great guy and one of my favourite players.

but basically, if i had to choose between Vanek and Phaneuf on 2003 draft day, i'd take Vanek. and that hasn't changed since then.

i think the part of your post i highlighted makes my point. i think TV is a guy who will frustrate you one minute, and amaze you the next at the best of times. so i definately think its waaaaay too early to be writing him off, or even heavily criticising him. he's gonna be a great player for us sometime. we're lucky to have him in the pipeline.

Old
11-08-2005, 03:41 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Mezsaros. man, was i annoyed that we grabbed Stafford instead of him. and i'm not using the benefit of hindsight because i said the same thing at the time of the draft. especially since the Oilers wanted to trade up to get Stafford.
I feel like I've disagreed with you a lot lately, Rowley, but if there was a percentage greater than 100 that made sense, that would be how much I agree with you here. I still can't believe they turned down the [reported] 1st and 2nd to drop one spot. I would have made that move in a heartbeat, then and now. It's not like they were dropping from Crosby to Ryan, or Kovalchuk to Spezza. Hmm, that second one might not be the best example

Old
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Kalinin couldn't hold Dion's jockstrap right now.
I'm not sure there are too many defencemen whose jockstrap Kalinin could hold right now ... the guys gotta get ti going pretty quick!!

Old
11-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I have to agree with you for once here Rowley. the Stafford pick is still mind boggling to me.

but i disagree with the TV and Phaneuf choice. At the time i thought Vanek was the best and right choice to draft at #5. (i was hoping to trade up for Horton or Staal but anayways). but if i had to choose one player to be wearing a Buffalo Sabres jersey right this moment. it would be Dion hands down. Teams may not pick in the top 5 very often, but theres usualy a "thomas vanek type" there every year. theres only a few Phaneufs every 5 - 10 years.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
I feel like I've disagreed with you a lot lately, Rowley, but if there was a percentage greater than 100 that made sense, that would be how much I agree with you here. I still can't believe they turned down the [reported] 1st and 2nd to drop one spot. I would have made that move in a heartbeat, then and now. It's not like they were dropping from Crosby to Ryan, or Kovalchuk to Spezza. Hmm, that second one might not be the best example
Kriukov over Orpik
Novotny over Gleason
Ballard over Eminger
Stafford over Meszaros

Id take any two of those defensemen we didn't get over all four of the guys we drafted.

Old
11-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Even though I think Phaneuf has the most potential, and is learning from Hamrlik and Rhett... I'd take Meszaros.. I dunno, I love the kids game.

I think we should just let the Sens do our drafting for us, and give them a 5th rounder each year to do it.

Seriously though, I think Phaneuf and Meszaros will turn out to be more complete players than the rest of these guys (not to say they're not potential all-stars in any way).

God I hate Buffalo's scouting staff.

Closed Thread