Notices

Kapanen, Miettinen or Jokinen?

Old
11-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Kapanen, Miettinen or Jokinen?

We're about at 1/5th of the season so far, so we've got a good indication of the type of season the Stars and its players are having.

How would you rank these three Finnish forwards, who all have different roles, different ages and different statistics to show for it? Based on the season they're having now and their long-term projection.

So far;

15 games - 2 goals - 6 assists for 08 points (pace: 44) for Niko Kapanen
15 games - 2 goals - 6 assists for 08 points (pace: 44) for Antti Miettinen
15 games - 6 goals - 4 assists for 10 points (pace: 55) for Jussi Jokinen

Last edited by Ajacied: 11-08-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Shack

Send a message via MSN to Shack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
We're about at 1/5th of the season so far, so we've got a good indication of the type of season the Stars and its players are having.

So far;

I've been really impressed the way Jussi Jokinen has come to league. When he gets a little more weight and toughness I think he'll be within top20 players in the league. He's a good goal scorer and sees the ice well. He has good hockey sence and can do some great passes. He doesn't have that much strenght so he must keep moving.

Niko Kapanen ja Antti Miettinen have improved alot. I've followed Niko for the last 4 years and he has made some big steps. He has great passing ability and is really good playmaker. I haven't followed Miettinen alot, so don't wan't to say anything about him.

Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:

How would you rank these three Finnish forwards, who all have different roles, different ages and different statistics to show for it? Based on the season they're having now and their long-term projection.

So far;

Obviously, my choice is Jokinen. He's been an absolute perfect fit with Modano and Lehtinen, something neither Kapanen or Miettinen could do. And for all the talk about his ability to score goals, he can pass just as well. He easily could of had 2 or 3 more assists last night because of his brilliant passing.

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Happy Girl

Jokinen has been a great addition to the Modano line. Hope he keeps it up!

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Ruutu15

jokinen has been great for dallas, he was the ideal addition to mo/lehts, he is defensively responsible and jokinen brings a scoring touch, desperately needed for dallas.

miettinen has been what i didn't expect, he plays a pretty physical game and hustles like crazy, gotta love that.

Ruutu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Rotang

Jokinen is a natural goal scorer, and he fits perfectly between Mo and Lehtinen - did you see some of the passes he was making last game

But my favorite of the three would have to be Miettenen. That kid has got some explosive speed and hits everything that moves.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiggitystank
Jokinen is a natural goal scorer, and he fits perfectly between Mo and Lehtinen - did you see some of the passes he was making last game

But my favorite of the three would have to be Miettenen. That kid has got some explosive speed and hits everything that moves.
After the game last night I was listening to Ralph on his show and he was talking about Miettinen. I believe he is #2 on the team for hits behind Morrow, but he does hit everything that moves and irritates the heck out of the other team. He'll hit the other team and then that player will look and see who hit him and when they see Miettinen they think What the???

But Jussi, Antti and Niko just play such different games that its hard to rank them. Jussi is a great goal scorer and is great with Mike and Lehtinen. Niko is just so sound defensively and can kill penalties with the best of them. I think he has improved leaps and bounds over last season and when he gets the ice time he can produce. Antti has these slick moves that you wonder how he just did that.

I'm not disappointed in any of them and think they all bring something to the team.

Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2005, 07:09 PM
starshockeyfan56

I can't pick just one. All of them are fabulous!

I really love Jokinen's goal scoring ability (make no mistake that Kapanen and Miettinen can score as well). I love Kapanen's ability to make the plays, and Miettinens ability to get down and dirty.

They all have soft hands, fantastic shots, and great hustle.

And, while Jokinen is doing fabulous, lets remember that he is stationed with two of the most gifted forwards in the league..
cant hurt your chances

starshockeyfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Jokinen's amazing, I'd pick him, even though Miettinen in the long run might turn out to be better.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Nahkiainen

It's really a shame (for Niko, not for Dallas) that Kapanen is stuck behind Modano and Arnott in Stars' center ice depth. He has the skills to be a 2nd line center. IMO his defencive abilities have gone unnoticed, his positioning and work ethics are first class. They (Kapanen, Miettinen, Jokinen) could form a nice Finnish-line in the future, their abilities could work well together and they all are still quite young. I have loved Miettinen since his junior years, Jokinen is still in his, and Kapanen has yet to show whether he could carry the responsibility of a scoring line center (which I think he could do). To pick one is too hard a task for me, I admire all three and I hope that someday they will form the core of Dallas' offensive corps.

Nahkiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahkiainen
IMO his defencive abilities have gone unnoticed, his positioning and work ethics are first class.
Welcome to the boards!

His defensive skills have not gone unnoticed, at least not on me and I don't think on his coaches either. His defensive game is great. He plays on the penalty kill most nights and is never a defensive liability.

I don't know if you saw it or heard about opening night when he got hurt. He was laying there sprawling on the ice because he threw his entire body in front of the goal to prevent LA from scoring (and that he did). He jammed his shoulder into the goal post. He left the game, but was back the next game.

I am also hoping at some point Niko gets a chance to play on the second line. I think with more ice time people will see what an asset he is to this team.

Old
11-15-2005, 05:49 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I doubt Niko will ever have the tools to play on a 2nd line consistantly. Ideally he's a perfect 3rd line centre.

His hands are alright, his passing is awesome and the hands are as quick as his hockey brain. Brilliant vision and always turns his game up a level in important games. I doubt he'll ever score more than 10 goals in an NHL season, but then again, he's a clutch performer, especially on the national team, so it's hard to know.

Glad to see Jussi performing well, a bit disappointed in Antti's stats, but Antti usually turns it up in the end of the season. Glad to hear he's hitting much, may be something for the olympic team...

IMO their roles on the olympic team would be:

Jere Lehtinen - MVP winger on the first line, second pp and first pk unit.
Niko Kapanen - Workhorse third/fourth line centre, some pp time, first pk unit, last man on the ice.
Jussi Jokinen - Secondary scorer on the second or third line, good pp minutes, tried in many combinations.
Antti Miettinen - third/fourth line winger, limited pp time, second pk unit.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2005, 06:50 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
I doubt Niko will ever have the tools to play on a 2nd line consistantly. Ideally he's a perfect 3rd line centre.

His hands are alright, his passing is awesome and the hands are as quick as his hockey brain. Brilliant vision and always turns his game up a level in important games. I doubt he'll ever score more than 10 goals in an NHL season, but then again, he's a clutch performer, especially on the national team, so it's hard to know.

Glad to see Jussi performing well, a bit disappointed in Antti's stats, but Antti usually turns it up in the end of the season. Glad to hear he's hitting much, may be something for the olympic team...

IMO their roles on the olympic team would be:

Jere Lehtinen - MVP winger on the first line, second pp and first pk unit.
Niko Kapanen - Workhorse third/fourth line centre, some pp time, first pk unit, last man on the ice.
Jussi Jokinen - Secondary scorer on the second or third line, good pp minutes, tried in many combinations.
Antti Miettinen - third/fourth line winger, limited pp time, second pk unit.
Agreed otherwise, but I don't think that scoring 15-20 goals a NHL season is beyond Niko's capabilities. Probably won't happen too many times though.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Icey

Well Niko is getting more ice time then he did in the beginning of the season, so he's doing something right. With his increased ice time you have seen his production go up. In the first 9 games he had one point, the second 9 games he has 9 points. He very much has the potential to be a second line center, but that isn't going to happen as long as Arnott and Modano are on the team.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Mike Bossy*

Jokinen > Kapanen > Miettinen

Mike Bossy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Update after 20 games..

20 games - 02 goals - 10 assists for 12 points (pace: 49) for Niko Kapanen
20 games - 02 goals - 07 assists for 09 points (pace: 37) for Antti Miettinen
20 games - 07 goals - 07 assists for 14 points (pace: 57) for Jussi Jokinen

My take btw: Miettinen > Jokinen > Kapanen

Old
11-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Korkki

Guy Carbonneau was interviewed in Finnish Satakunnan Kansa newspaper (he is in Pori watching the Ässät organization and some Finnish players at the moment) and he bashed Niko Kapanen. He says that Niko's games vary too much. Sometimes a good game, sometimes bad but mostly bad games. He seems to be a bit disappointed for Niko.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Icey

Are you sure that is what he said? Maybe something got lost in the translation, but I heard Guy talk about Niko just a week or so ago and he said nothing like that, just the opposite. His coaches and team mates say good things about him. Niko has the best work ethic on the team. He plays hard every night.

Niko has more goals and assists this season then he had all of last season. He's #9 on the team in points (got two more last night). I have a feeling he was misunderstood. Coaches don't normally bash players in public.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Dr GLU

I would say that critcism of Kapanen was valid in the early season when he wasn't seeing a lot of ice time and didn't have consistent linemates.

Since they put Barnes, Kapanen, and Miettinen together, though, Niko has been fantastic. That line cycles the puck well and is also dangerous on the rush while being an effective trio defensively as well.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Korkki

Straight translation (only a part):
----------------------------------------------
... Only the name of Niko Kapanen makes the NHL-legend to look a bit disappointed.
- Can't say that we are not satisfied with him. Niko has too big difference of a good day and a bad day and sorry to say, but there are too many bad days during the season.
-----------------------------------------------

Guy was interviewed on the 1st intermission of the game and he said he was mainly looking for Ilves's Perttu Lindgren and Ässät's undrafted Leo Komarov. Also he said that the new NHL rules has made the game different and that Hisey may be part of Dallas squad next season because he is perfectly fitted player for the new rules. Also he said about our biggest prospect Joensuu that he needs to have more muscles to be a really great player. And then he said that there is no as noisy crowd in NHL like here in Pori (ok, I think he just wanted to be nice)

EDIT: Guy also had a conversation with Nickerson, because he came over to watch also him but Nicke is suspended. Nicke was sent here to play, not to fight.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
mikkoz

Is Niko getting any PP time, if he isnt, i think he should.

mikkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkoz
Is Niko getting any PP time, if he isnt, i think he should.
Which one of the 6 forwards would he replace (Modano, Jokinen, Lehtinen, Morrow, Arnott and Guerin)?

Old
11-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Ruutu15

well the thing about the 6 forwards is occaisonally modano or arnott will play the point, so knock out a defense men, i'd say robidas, and you can squeeze in kapanen.

Ruutu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2005, 09:32 AM
mikkoz

Quote:
Which one of the 6 forwards would he replace (Modano, Jokinen, Lehtinen, Morrow, Arnott and Guerin)?
Well if they produce you dont have to. Also he´d have to replace Modano and thats not gonna happen without injuries. Im guessing the 2nd PP line is Morrow - Arnott - Guerin where he dont fit in at all. But basicly he is really really good in PP, not as good as Saku Koivu, but close. So if there is a spot, give him a go.

mikkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki
And then he said that there is no as noisy crowd in NHL like here in Pori (ok, I think he just wanted to be nice)
Did he say that before or after he was hit by one of the bottles thrown by the crowd because of yet another lost game?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote