HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
When was the Poti all star appearance--- 02-03? He got that just because they were looking to replace Leetch with another Ranger. Poti is not an all star in any way, shape or form. He frankly sucks and has since the day he came here. I don't know how anyone could point the finger at two somewhat raw rookies and use their mistakes in some kind of comparison to his. He's the veteran supposed to be our Number 1 D offense contributing quarterback. As our Number 1 he's been benched twice already. He's sulked both times. His defensive game improved somewhat but still has lapses. I won't say his offensive game disappeared because it's never appeared at all this year and he still doesn't hit and he basically has a no trade contract because anyone would be nuts to take him off our hands--at least not without giving us something just as atrocious back.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
am i the only one who notices a weekly hate poti thread trend?
They usually coincide with each horrible game he plays.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers were among four teams interested in Tom Poti when Edmonton was shopping.The Penguins,Bruins,Islanders and Rangers
You wonder what the other teams were offering if we got him with York and 4th for Poti and Rem Murray.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's very obvious that Poti is not part of the solution, either short or long term. But, the defense is a mess and it's not just him. Kaspar isn't effective when he plays too many minutes and Malik (who will be here long after Poti is gone) and Roszival clearly aren't very effective either when they play top pair minutes. Which makes sense, because only the Ranger organization would consider them a top pair.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
phishman3579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
It's very obvious that Poti is not part of the solution, either short or long term. But, the defense is a mess and it's not just him. Kaspar isn't effective when he plays too many minutes and Malik (who will be here long after Poti is gone) and Roszival clearly aren't very effective either when they play top pair minutes. Which makes sense, because only the Ranger organization would consider them a top pair.
Why can't we got some blue collar defensemen? Defensemen who don't have a high skill range but work there ***** off each game; kind of like our 3rd and 4th line players.

Old
11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Excellent post, Brook.

11-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
Why can't we got some blue collar defensemen? Defensemen who don't have a high skill range but work there ***** off each game; kind of like our 3rd and 4th line players.
We have a problem with our top pairing (and the points on the power play). Importing more bottom pairing defensemen will not help that. Once again the organization is playing players out of position and it's hurting them. I don't see any easy solution. We need a solid puck moving defenseman who can man the point and score some points from the blueline. That would be a start.

Old
11-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Fletch

Rozsival is on the ice...

for three goals against; Malik somehow two, and Poti's the focus today. Defensively he was fine. Offensively, he was hesitant, and thus bad. He got off five shots, three decent shots, and it's clear that he's not working on the PP, although the PP isn't set up to be very effective.

Old
11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
We have a problem with our top pairing (and the points on the power play). Importing more bottom pairing defensemen will not help that. Once again the organization is playing players out of position and it's hurting them. I don't see any easy solution. We need a solid puck moving defenseman who can man the point and score some points from the blueline. That would be a start.

Sounds like a guy who we once had that some felt there was no need for or no place for.

Old
11-08-2005, 06:40 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I think that people's displeasure with Poti is not specifically because of last night. He's a repeat offender, not a one time deal.
Oh, absolutely. ANd I'm not a Poti defender, I don't like the guy either, but the venom in this thread has been directed at him for last night, all I'm saying is that last night, he was one of many to not show up.

That being said, yea, he needs to go, he's not part of the solution for this team.

Old
11-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
That's where the problem comes in. These guys are playing out of their roles.

It's the same worry i have if we lose some scoring. Asking a third line forward to suddenly be a first or second line forward.

Old
11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
mikesect424

I'm all for trading Poti, but if that can't happen, at least reduce his minutes. Also, I don't understand Malik on the point. He's too slow and as evidenced in the pittsburgh game, will be prone to giving up shorthanded opportunities. On one PP, he looked like he was going to camp out in front of the net, which is something we need, but that didn't last. We definately need to remove Poti and Malik from the PP and play either 4 or 5 forwards, like we were in the beginning of the season.

Old
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
for three goals against; Malik somehow two, and Poti's the focus today. Defensively he was fine. Offensively, he was hesitant, and thus bad. He got off five shots, three decent shots, and it's clear that he's not working on the PP, although the PP isn't set up to be very effective.
poti should not be the focus however he was brought here to quaterback our powerplay and at any given time he is the worst player out there, he made numerous bad passes, he could not keep the puck in the zone, i recall he had one nice shot when he came in from the point but thats about all the good i can remember from him last nite

something that you are neglecting is poti's turnovers last nite and in general because he usually makes a bad turnover or two a game and that gives the oppossing team scoring chances

malik and roszival are no heroes either, if i had my way id move both malik and poti, roszival is fine for depth or for a 5-6 guy but we need someone to quaterback the powerplay and we need a big physical stay at home d-man, poti and malik do not fit the bill for either

Old
11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

With it being unanimous that Poti is a dog

and really doesn't provide the type of offensive game we need from him, who are the legitimate trading partners and what can we expect in return. I would imagine that the focus who be to trade him to the other conference so we don't have to with his deal with his turning his game around (insert huge laugh). He is a UFA next year. So the kind of trade I envision is one of comparable value in terms of salary and length. Zubov comes to my mind that may fit into what I am thinking, but I don't know his contract status. Though older, he would provide the type of PP pointman we would want and his being older fits in with buying time for a player like Pock to develop more.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
and really doesn't provide the type of offensive game we need from him, who are the legitimate trading partners and what can we expect in return. I would imagine that the focus who be to trade him to the other conference so we don't have to with his deal with his turning his game around (insert huge laugh). He is a UFA next year. So the kind of trade I envision is one of comparable value in terms of salary and length. Zubov comes to my mind that may fit into what I am thinking, but I don't know his contract status. Though older, he would provide the type of PP pointman we would want and his being older fits in with buying time for a player like Pock to develop more.
I'm going to post my reply in a new thread, so there are more Poti threads

Old
11-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

nothing of any value. the guy is supposed to be an offensive defenseman yet he never hits the net and rarely keeps the puck in the zone.

he is heartless but worse than that he has very little talent anymore.

the rangers would be better off if lampman, pock, or strudwick for that matter played in his spot. would the rangers even miss him in the lineup? honestly when he was scratched did anybody say to themselves "geez we really miss poti tonight?"

he in a word
sucks

Old
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

The other tread is more about bashing Poti

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
I'm going to post my reply in a new thread, so there are more Poti threads
I'm asking for a dialogue about what we can get for Poti. I'm not asking what people think about him, that is well established and that is not the topic being asked.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Yeah, we know, but he has to have some value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
nothing of any value. the guy is supposed to be an offensive defenseman yet he never hits the net and rarely keeps the puck in the zone.

he is heartless but worse than that he has very little talent anymore.
The old saying; one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I'm asking if people know of situations where the moon and stars may come into alignment and we actually get something. I thtrew out Zubov, but I don't know if that is reasonable, let alone feasible.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The old saying; one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I'm asking if people know of situations where the moon and stars may come into alignment and we actually get something. I thtrew out Zubov, but I don't know if that is reasonable, let alone feasible.
Zubov?

If the Rangers want anything in return for poti they need to package him with a prospect or two.

I thought not buying out kaspar was the biggest mistake this offseason. I was wrong it. Qualifing poti was the biggest mistake.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Supposedly there are rumblings oout of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Zubov?

If the Rangers want anything in return for poti they need to package him with a prospect or two.

I thought not buying out kaspar was the biggest mistake this offseason. I was wrong it. Qualifing poti was the biggest mistake.
Something like Poti and Puriton for Zubov could be a combo that works. Zubov earns $4M, Poti and Puriton come in around $3M.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Merged threads.

Poti has no trade value right now. He is below average defensively. Not producing offensively. Making a lot of money.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:29 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

True enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Merged threads.

Poti has no trade value right now. He is below average defensively. Not producing offensively. Making a lot of money.
but likewise there are other players who their teams also deem as having little value. In the new NHL cap room also becomes a component in trades. If one team is over the cap, another is not, a trade can occur because one team could receive an advantage by taking a player of similar value ($) that has less length of contract (Poti's) and unburden themselves after the year by the expiration of the contract they received.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:29 PM
shoothepuck

Anyone. The Ranger's should take anyone or anything any team has to offer. If nothing is offered, bench Poti, and play anyone in his place. He does more harm in the line-up than out. You would think that he's worth at least a draft pick(low), but other teams are not blind. He should have been moved after the benching incident. Sather's boy or not, his time is up.

Old
11-08-2005, 11:26 PM
JerseyRangers

Poti Trade Value

Honestly I can't see how he has any. Yeah, maybe you could dump him for someone more worthless who is a bigger drain on the salary cap and has more years left on his contract. What exactly does that accomplish?

Watching him play he's got virtually no value. Yeah, he's not the only culprit. I stated in another thread that the best thing Renney could do would be to sit Roszival, Malik and Poti but then who plays? Going into the season I think we all realized that defensively we were screwed. For the first time in years our forwards are actually backchecking and thats taken some of the pressure off of the d. However the problem remains that we are woefully thin on d and that this will continue to plague us unless we make a trade.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Something like Poti and Puriton for Zubov could be a combo that works. Zubov earns $4M, Poti and Puriton come in around $3M.
Works for whom? While it's a great trade for the Rangers, Dallas would have to be insane to that trade. Unlike Poti, Zubov can actually run a power play successfully.

Closed Thread