HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Val Bure?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Jazz

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Val Bure?

I was wondering if there was any update on Val Bure's status? When is he expected back?

Old
11-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Osprey

There's been little progress and he still has pain. Nothing is helping much and no one has any idea when he'll be able to return. I think it's fairly safe to say he's out for the rest of this month, as well.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:57 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
There's been little progress and he still has pain. Nothing is helping much and no one has any idea when he'll be able to return. I think it's fairly safe to say he's out for the rest of this month, as well.
I think its safe to say he will never play for the Kings.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old
11-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Oh, to have signed Selanne instead :sigh:

11-09-2005, 05:05 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Oh, to have signed Selanne instead :sigh:
I'll pass.

Old
11-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
I'll pass.
You'd offload Garon to the first person to offer a bag of pucks, so of course you'd also turn up your nose at a superstar with as many points as anyone on the Kings . At least you're consistent

Old
11-09-2005, 07:30 AM
kingbrath

Quote:
I think its safe to say he will never play for the Kings.

I hope I'm wrong.

It hurts to say it to...but I agree with you!
I hope Im wrong becuase I would REALLY lke to see Bure in a Kings jrsey this season!

Old
11-09-2005, 10:14 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
I would REALLY lke to see Bure in a Kings jrsey this season!
Well, he's on the Jumbotron when they show those NHL 2K6 spots

Old
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
took420s

From Foxsportsnet.com

"Winger Valeri Bure was expected to contribute large offensive numbers for the talented Kings this season, but all he's chipped in with is medical bills. Bure has not played since late September because of a disk problem in his back. Medical officials tried to treat the protruding disk with epidurals, but nasty side effects forced them to discontinue Bure's treatment. It reportedly will be several weeks before the veteran winger is able to rejoin the team."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5066040

I never liked this signing, he's as soft as his brother with 1/4 of the talent

I hope he proves me wrong this season but I have already began to say, "Bure who?"

Old
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
You'd offload Garon to the first person to offer a bag of pucks, so of course you'd also turn up your nose at a superstar with as many points as anyone on the Kings . At least you're consistent
That was pretty funny.

But seriously though, I can't stand Selenne or Karyia. I wouldn't want either of them on our team unless we got them for absolutely next to nothing.

Old
11-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
From Foxsportsnet.com

"Winger Valeri Bure was expected to contribute large offensive numbers for the talented Kings this season, but all he's chipped in with is medical bills. Bure has not played since late September because of a disk problem in his back. Medical officials tried to treat the protruding disk with epidurals, but nasty side effects forced them to discontinue Bure's treatment. It reportedly will be several weeks before the veteran winger is able to rejoin the team."

I hope he proves me wrong this season but I have already began to say, "Bure who?"
That's kinda strange. So they are just going to hope for the best, the disk goes back into place or let him play with a protruding disk????? Wow....I really must be out of the current medical loop!

Old
11-09-2005, 02:41 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
From Foxsportsnet.com

Ditto on that! I said the exact same thing the day we signed him. Yes, he's a twenty goal scorer.........but major baggage comes along with it. Some posters here made this signing look like it was going to solve problems. Depth is always good, but not like this. People moaned when we signed Straka, but this is the exact same scenario.

Old
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Fingolfin

Straka was a much better player than Bure ever will be, albeit just as injury prone. The *trade* for Straka was a good one, it was just bad timing. Had Allison, Deadmarsh and Palffy all been healthy, trading for Straka would have been a great pickup for a cup run. Hell, that *might* have even justified the Carter trade. Unfortunately, the injuries did happen, and picking up Straka turned into a case of too little, too late.

As for Bure, I really hope he gets well soon, as the guy is great on the PP, and is the BEST shootout player the Kings have. LA knew the risk when they signed him, and if he doesn't play, his salary will come off the books by the trade deadline.

- Fin

Old
11-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
Straka was a much better player than Bure ever will be, albeit just as injury prone. The *trade* for Straka was a good one, it was just bad timing. Had Allison, Deadmarsh and Palffy all been healthy, trading for Straka would have been a great pickup for a cup run. Hell, that *might* have even justified the Carter trade. Unfortunately, the injuries did happen, and picking up Straka turned into a case of too little, too late.

As for Bure, I really hope he gets well soon, as the guy is great on the PP, and is the BEST shootout player the Kings have. LA knew the risk when they signed him, and if he doesn't play, his salary will come off the books by the trade deadline.

- Fin
Fin,

Do you know that LA knew the risk when they signed him? Link? Did he already have a bad back that LA knew about? I'm just curious where you got that information. Thanks!

Old
11-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney
Fin,

Do you know that LA knew the risk when they signed him? Link? Did he already have a bad back that LA knew about? I'm just curious where you got that information. Thanks!
When I say they knew the risk, I'm referring to Bure's proneness to injury. His last four seasons in the NHL saw him play 78, 31, 51 and 68 games respectively. I don't think there was any indication that Bure had a bad back when they signed him, but I think for damn sure that Taylor & Co. knew he could miss significant time.

- Fin

Old
11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
When I say they knew the risk, I'm referring to Bure's proneness to injury. His last four seasons in the NHL saw him play 78, 31, 51 and 68 games respectively. I don't think there was any indication that Bure had a bad back when they signed him, but I think for damn sure that Taylor & Co. knew he could miss significant time.

- Fin

Ah, ok...Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought perhaps I had missed something.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Ditto on that! I said the exact same thing the day we signed him. Yes, he's a twenty goal scorer.........but major baggage comes along with it. Some posters here made this signing look like it was going to solve problems. Depth is always good, but not like this. People moaned when we signed Straka, but this is the exact same scenario.
I was very happy with the Straka signing. Until he went down he was producing though. I think he had 6 goals and a 6 assists in his first 15 games?

Sure he ended up getting hurt (as expected by most) but at least he made it onto the ice.

I even liked the Carter signing, but I was remembering the Oil's Carter who could actually contribute and not the player we got.

Depth is great if the guys are actually healthy, unfortunately Bure is not.

Old
11-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
That was pretty funny.

But seriously though, I can't stand Selenne or Karyia. I wouldn't want either of them on our team unless we got them for absolutely next to nothing.
250,000 less than Bure and with his production thus far this year? I'd say that was next to nothing. He's looked like the Selanne of old after his knee surgeries.

Old
11-13-2005, 12:02 AM
kingbrath

Any news on this guy???? I really hope to see him play this year!

Old
11-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
Any news on this guy???? I really hope to see him play this year!
This is from Nov 5. I think we have our new Allison.
Surgery not an option. Reaction to epidurals and going to consider acupuncture???????

Valeri Bure: Stops Treatment on Back; Return is Weeks Away

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Saturday, November 5, 2005
Update: Bure (back) has stopped the treatment for his back after having a reaction to an epidural shot the LA Times reports.

Recommendation: He is now considering acupuncture to relieve the pain, and has been told by doctors that surgery is not an option. There is still no timetable for his return and it will probably be weeks before Bure can practice.
Updated on Saturday, Nov 5, 2005 12:42 pm ES

Old
11-13-2005, 04:16 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Since when do docs say surgery is not an option?

Old
11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Actually, lots of times. However, I don't know the situation here, so I can't comment on this. We really don't know what the injury is. Have you seen the MRI report? Me either. Surgery might not be an option. ~shrugh Shoulders~

Old
11-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Because it's just an inflammation that Bure has. Surgery can repair tears and remove debris, but there's not much that can be done for inflammations, at least that I know of. I'm pretty sure that's why surgery isn't an option in Bure's case. Something along those lines was mentioned in an article a few weeks back.

Old
11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Because it's just an inflammation that Bure has. Surgery can repair tears and remove debris, but there's not much that can be done for inflammations, at least that I know of. I'm pretty sure that's why surgery isn't an option in Bure's case. Something along those lines was mentioned in an article a few weeks back.
Umm, it can repair buldging disks and herinated disks. The problem is we really don't know what the actual condition is.
So far we have heard both. The NSAIDS and the epidurals, yes would reduce the amount of inflammation and relieve pressure but that is standard first line therapy. They have mentioned a lot of the things thus far, no???

As a side note, I find it curious that Luc stated he had such a bad bad break, almost completly thru the bone/cracked in half and yet he will be back in a matter of weeks. I just don't get these guys sometimes.

Old
11-14-2005, 07:51 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney
... such a bad bad break, almost completly thru the bone/cracked in half and yet he will be back in a matter of weeks. I just don't get these guys sometimes.
Stop being confused.

It's well known that a BREAK can heal much faster than a SPRAIN.

Closed Thread