HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-Term Goalie Situation

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2005, 10:27 AM
  #1
L-train*
 
L-train*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly Suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Long-Term Goalie Situation

What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.

L-train* is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
  #2
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.
nothing is clear... Esche has been getting steadily better... he played great for us last season, and was excellent in the World Cup (kept the US from getting embarassed).

Jester is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
  #3
L-train*
 
L-train*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly Suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Huh... Esche is a lot younger than I thought he was... He's in his prime right now, 27 years old. His GAA has moved slowly downward... I guess he could be the man, but the soft goals like the one he gave up last night absolutely kill me.

L-train* is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
  #4
Synthetic
Registered User
 
Synthetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Columbia, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Everyone gives up soft goals, and Esche is showing a marked improvement. He's looking better and better as time goes on. I say stay with the formula if we keep on winning like we are.

Synthetic is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:46 AM
  #5
DeleteThisAccount
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: And eating brains
Country: United States
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
Huh... Esche is a lot younger than I thought he was... He's in his prime right now, 27 years old. His GAA has moved slowly downward... I guess he could be the man, but the soft goals like the one he gave up last night absolutely kill me.
Just so we're clear here...you're talking about the slapshot from the point that Therien stood right in front of him on right?

DeleteThisAccount is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
  #6
L-train*
 
L-train*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly Suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Just so we're clear here...you're talking about the slapshot from the point that Therien stood right in front of him on right?
Yeah, that's one of several I've seen... as a goalie, you should always be ready for anything.

L-train* is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
  #7
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
I got an idea, why don't we make room and sign Khabibulin for 6.75 million. He is definatley a top tier goalie with an outstanding 3.83 GAA and .850 Save% good enough for 42 in goaltenders. Definatley stats that justify getting 6.75 million.

I'll take Esche at 1 million and Nittimaki 450K.

spudnick is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
  #8
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
Yeah, that's one of several I've seen... as a goalie, you should always be ready for anything.
he was ready for it... just didn't get all of it... as a dman you cannot let shots pass through you, which is what Therien did there.

Jester is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
  #9
Benji Frank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
That toe save he made on Thornton last night pops into my head as one he shouldn't have had. I'm sure there were a few others.

He ultimately got the win & has been getting quite a few W's over the last year and a bit ...

That alone gives Clarke, Hitchcock and the Flyers organization a reason to ride him.......

In today's capped world, he's a steal @ 1 million.

Benji Frank is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 12:26 PM
  #10
clumsysnake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.
So...where's the true-upper-tier-goalie tree? We can pluck one there.

If it were possible to get a theodore or a luongo then I would definitely go for it. I made a post here earlier wondering how we could get luongo....but such deals are rare. And there's no reason to trade for the has-beens like belfour or hasek or some maybe goalie who'll be no better than esche.

clumsysnake is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
  #11
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,108
vCash: 500
Goaltenders that won in the AHL and in junior leagues should be given a chance to repeat it in the NHL.

Kafka is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
  #12
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.
what has Nitty not done to show he won't be an upper tier goalie? He has to wait his turn until Esche shows he can/can't get it done. You really can't make a determinatioon Nitty as of yet or for that matter Esche. I heard through the grapevine that Garth Snow is available for the right price. Since he got us to the cup before maybe w can revist history.

jb** is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 01:50 PM
  #13
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Long term, we are solid. Besides Esche who should be good for at least a couple more years we have Nittymakki who is just about ready, and then we have Beauchemin developing in the system in the meantime.

BTW, Esche is statitstically solidly in the middle of the pack among NHL starting goalies right now after an abysmal start. He is back to .900 Save% and under 3.00 GAA, which isnt bad at all in todays NHL. I bet that by seasons end he will be over .910 and around 2.50, which will be good enough to be in the top ten.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
  #14
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
what has Nitty not done to show he won't be an upper tier goalie? He has to wait his turn until Esche shows he can/can't get it done. You really can't make a determinatioon Nitty as of yet or for that matter Esche. I heard through the grapevine that Garth Snow is available for the right price. Since he got us to the cup before maybe w can revist history.
1) As most everyone knows, I am one of Esche's biggest critics and I will say that his play has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the season. I still think he leaves big rebounds that ultimately can hurt, but, for the time being, he's winning.

2) It is way too early to say whether or not Niittymaki will be a top-tier NHL goaltender or not.

3) I highly doubt that the Isles would trade Snow. He and DiPietro make a solid tandem and Wade Dubieliwicz is not ready to play in the NHL yet.

4) Ron Hextall was in the house last night. Why not give him a shot? With the new rules, he could probably get 10-15 assists too not to mention the fact that the equipment being used now is probably bigger than what he played with!

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
  #15
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Aside from the first goal last night, I thought Esche was great. He competed, like the Ottawa game he competed. If he learns to control his rebounds better and is agressively squaring to the puck like he has been then we are o.k.. He seems better with the long shot and he is playing the puck quite well right now, let him play he is winning.

facts is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
  #16
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
I've seen enough of Niittymaki to know that he has the potential to be a very good number one goaltender. I would still consider him to be the Flyers' goaltender of the future, as his potential upside is clearly higher than that of Esche's. Esche is about as good now as he'll ever be.

With that said, Esche is the guy right now. He's recovered from how he was playing early in the season, and though he's not the best in the league, he gives the team a chance to win every night and is more than capable of taking this team on another deep playoff run.

Beauchemin might be better than both.

Brad* is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 05:39 PM
  #17
clumsysnake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've seen enough of Niittymaki to know that he has the potential to be a very good number one goaltender. I would still consider him to be the Flyers' goaltender of the future, as his potential upside is clearly higher than that of Esche's. Esche is about as good now as he'll ever be.

With that said, Esche is the guy right now. He's recovered from how he was playing early in the season, and though he's not the best in the league, he gives the team a chance to win every night and is more than capable of taking this team on another deep playoff run.
Agreed. While Nittymaki has good skills and may eventually become a great NHL goalie, he's not even close to surefire prospect. I disagree with the people who want to give 40 games to Nitty. We can't afford to lose tons of games just to give a rookie a chance to prove himself.

That said, Esche has to step up his play from where it is right now for us to really be a cup contender. I would keep giving him 90% of the games until we see him stop improving. The only argument to give Nitty a true extended look is if 40 games into the season, Esche hasn't shown enough for us to be comfortable. While Nitty's ability is a big unknown, if we know Esche can't get it done, we should take the chance with Frank. I don't see that happening tho. Esche certainly wasnt the problem against the bolts last season.

clumsysnake is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.