HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-Term Goalie Situation

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2005, 10:27 AM
L-train*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Long-Term Goalie Situation

What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.

Old
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
What should the Flyers do? It's pretty clear Esche shouldn't be the man for much longer, due to his inconsistiency and Niittymaki isn't going to be an upper-tier goalkeeper. I feel that the Flyers could really use a true, top-tier elite goalie. How should they go about that? Deal a young prospect or something? Draft? Free Agency?

I honestly feel that having a true upper-tier goalie will be key to the Flyers winning some Stanley Cups over the next 5 years or so.
nothing is clear... Esche has been getting steadily better... he played great for us last season, and was excellent in the World Cup (kept the US from getting embarassed).

Old
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
L-train*

Huh... Esche is a lot younger than I thought he was... He's in his prime right now, 27 years old. His GAA has moved slowly downward... I guess he could be the man, but the soft goals like the one he gave up last night absolutely kill me.

Old
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Everyone gives up soft goals, and Esche is showing a marked improvement. He's looking better and better as time goes on. I say stay with the formula if we keep on winning like we are.

Old
11-09-2005, 10:46 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Huh... Esche is a lot younger than I thought he was... He's in his prime right now, 27 years old. His GAA has moved slowly downward... I guess he could be the man, but the soft goals like the one he gave up last night absolutely kill me.
Just so we're clear here...you're talking about the slapshot from the point that Therien stood right in front of him on right?

Old
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
L-train*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Just so we're clear here...you're talking about the slapshot from the point that Therien stood right in front of him on right?
Yeah, that's one of several I've seen... as a goalie, you should always be ready for anything.

Old
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
spudnick

I got an idea, why don't we make room and sign Khabibulin for 6.75 million. He is definatley a top tier goalie with an outstanding 3.83 GAA and .850 Save% good enough for 42 in goaltenders. Definatley stats that justify getting 6.75 million.

I'll take Esche at 1 million and Nittimaki 450K.

Old
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of several I've seen... as a goalie, you should always be ready for anything.
he was ready for it... just didn't get all of it... as a dman you cannot let shots pass through you, which is what Therien did there.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Benji Frank

That toe save he made on Thornton last night pops into my head as one he shouldn't have had. I'm sure there were a few others.

He ultimately got the win & has been getting quite a few W's over the last year and a bit ...

That alone gives Clarke, Hitchcock and the Flyers organization a reason to ride him.......

In today's capped world, he's a steal @ 1 million.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:26 PM
clumsysnake

Quote:

So...where's the true-upper-tier-goalie tree? We can pluck one there.

If it were possible to get a theodore or a luongo then I would definitely go for it. I made a post here earlier wondering how we could get luongo....but such deals are rare. And there's no reason to trade for the has-beens like belfour or hasek or some maybe goalie who'll be no better than esche.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Kafka

Goaltenders that won in the AHL and in junior leagues should be given a chance to repeat it in the NHL.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
jb**

Quote:

what has Nitty not done to show he won't be an upper tier goalie? He has to wait his turn until Esche shows he can/can't get it done. You really can't make a determinatioon Nitty as of yet or for that matter Esche. I heard through the grapevine that Garth Snow is available for the right price. Since he got us to the cup before maybe w can revist history.

Old
11-09-2005, 01:50 PM
MojoJojo

Long term, we are solid. Besides Esche who should be good for at least a couple more years we have Nittymakki who is just about ready, and then we have Beauchemin developing in the system in the meantime.

BTW, Esche is statitstically solidly in the middle of the pack among NHL starting goalies right now after an abysmal start. He is back to .900 Save% and under 3.00 GAA, which isnt bad at all in todays NHL. I bet that by seasons end he will be over .910 and around 2.50, which will be good enough to be in the top ten.

Old
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
what has Nitty not done to show he won't be an upper tier goalie? He has to wait his turn until Esche shows he can/can't get it done. You really can't make a determinatioon Nitty as of yet or for that matter Esche. I heard through the grapevine that Garth Snow is available for the right price. Since he got us to the cup before maybe w can revist history.
1) As most everyone knows, I am one of Esche's biggest critics and I will say that his play has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the season. I still think he leaves big rebounds that ultimately can hurt, but, for the time being, he's winning.

2) It is way too early to say whether or not Niittymaki will be a top-tier NHL goaltender or not.

3) I highly doubt that the Isles would trade Snow. He and DiPietro make a solid tandem and Wade Dubieliwicz is not ready to play in the NHL yet.

4) Ron Hextall was in the house last night. Why not give him a shot? With the new rules, he could probably get 10-15 assists too not to mention the fact that the equipment being used now is probably bigger than what he played with!

Old
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
facts

Aside from the first goal last night, I thought Esche was great. He competed, like the Ottawa game he competed. If he learns to control his rebounds better and is agressively squaring to the puck like he has been then we are o.k.. He seems better with the long shot and he is playing the puck quite well right now, let him play he is winning.

Old
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Brad*

I've seen enough of Niittymaki to know that he has the potential to be a very good number one goaltender. I would still consider him to be the Flyers' goaltender of the future, as his potential upside is clearly higher than that of Esche's. Esche is about as good now as he'll ever be.

With that said, Esche is the guy right now. He's recovered from how he was playing early in the season, and though he's not the best in the league, he gives the team a chance to win every night and is more than capable of taking this team on another deep playoff run.

Beauchemin might be better than both.

Old
11-09-2005, 05:39 PM
clumsysnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've seen enough of Niittymaki to know that he has the potential to be a very good number one goaltender. I would still consider him to be the Flyers' goaltender of the future, as his potential upside is clearly higher than that of Esche's. Esche is about as good now as he'll ever be.

With that said, Esche is the guy right now. He's recovered from how he was playing early in the season, and though he's not the best in the league, he gives the team a chance to win every night and is more than capable of taking this team on another deep playoff run.
Agreed. While Nittymaki has good skills and may eventually become a great NHL goalie, he's not even close to surefire prospect. I disagree with the people who want to give 40 games to Nitty. We can't afford to lose tons of games just to give a rookie a chance to prove himself.

That said, Esche has to step up his play from where it is right now for us to really be a cup contender. I would keep giving him 90% of the games until we see him stop improving. The only argument to give Nitty a true extended look is if 40 games into the season, Esche hasn't shown enough for us to be comfortable. While Nitty's ability is a big unknown, if we know Esche can't get it done, we should take the chance with Frank. I don't see that happening tho. Esche certainly wasnt the problem against the bolts last season.

Closed Thread