HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Phil Esposito vs. Peter Forsberg

View Poll Results: Phil Esposito vs. Peter Forsberg
Phil Esposito 57 61.96%
Peter Forsberg 33 35.87%
Too close to pick one 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Phil Esposito vs. Peter Forsberg

We were having a debate on the NHL board and I just wanted to get a consensus on who you think was/is the greater player.

Simple question: who was/is the greater hockey player, Espo or Forsberg?

Old
11-09-2005, 11:31 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Two totally different players from two different era's.

Old
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Little Wing

Send a message via Yahoo to Little Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
I agree, however i'll bite and say Forsberg

Old
11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
While that is true one has 5 Art Ross's, 2 Harts, and 2 Pearsons while the other only has the one Hart and one Art Ross.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:28 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
While that is true one has 5 Art Ross's, 2 Harts, and 2 Pearsons while the other only has the one Hart and one Art Ross.
yeah...I don't see how this is really close

I find Esposito gets unfairly underrated around here. He's got a ton of awards, he obliterated the single-season scoring record untill Gretzky showed up, and he was clutch (over 1ppg playoffs, lead Summit Series in scoring)

Old
11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
yeah...I don't see how this is really close

I find Esposito gets unfairly underrated around here. He's got a ton of awards, he obliterated the single-season scoring record untill Gretzky showed up, and he was clutch (over 1ppg playoffs, lead Summit Series in scoring)
The debate in reference is locked in the ever so clever stance of "The athletes now would have OWNED the 60's 70's and 80's, therefore they are far superior."

Old
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
RorschachWJK

Esposito now, but might well be Forsberg in 5 years or so.

Old
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
wilka91*

When are we going to compare players from the 21st century to those from the 19th?

Old
11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
God Bless Canada

Espo, and it's not even close. He may be the best pure goal scoring centre ever. His nose for the net and offensive instincts are off the charts. Not only that, but he's the best leader since Jean Beliveau.

This is not to diminish Forsberg's accomplishments. He's a sure-fire future HHOFer. But I'd say Espo is the fourth-best centre ever (after Gretzky, Lemieux and Beliveau) and one of the top 10 players ever.

Old
11-09-2005, 01:21 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
This isn't even close Esposito.

Old
11-09-2005, 01:25 PM
reckoning

Quote:
The debate in reference is locked in the ever so clever stance of "The athletes now would have OWNED the 60's 70's and 80's, therefore they are far superior."
I know that argument, they never seem to take into account the fact that if yesterdays players were playing today that they`d have access to all of todays traing/conditioning/coaching methods so that whole argument of todays athletes being in superior condition would be negated.

I bet those same people think Ruiz or Klitschko are better boxers than Muhammad Ali was.

Back on topic; I`d give Esposito the edge.

Old
11-09-2005, 01:54 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
I know that argument, they never seem to take into account the fact that if yesterdays players were playing today that they`d have access to all of todays traing/conditioning/coaching methods so that whole argument of todays athletes being in superior condition would be negated.

I bet those same people think Ruiz or Klitschko are better boxers than Muhammad Ali was.

Back on topic; I`d give Esposito the edge.
Espo with his outsize personality and scoring feats was as much a star as Orr in the late 60's and early 70's. His play in Summit 72 showed how dominant he was as a leader and as a player. Having said that, Forsberg might be the best 2 way player in history.

I'd say its like asking if Orr was better than Lemieux. Apples and oranges.

Slight edge to Espo.

Old
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
Espo with his outsize personality and scoring feats was as much a star as Orr in the late 60's and early 70's. His play in Summit 72 showed how dominant he was as a leader and as a player. Having said that, Forsberg might be the best 2 way player in history.
I'd say its like asking if Orr was better than Lemieux. Apples and oranges.

Slight edge to Espo.
He doesn't even come CLOSE to the two-way play of Fedorov let alone all of NHL history.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Big Phil

Yeah it isnt even close Esposito no question. 5 Art Ross Trophies, 2 Hart Trophies, 7 first team all-stars, two Cups. Throw in his efforts in the '72 Summit Series and you see what kind of leader he is. Give Forsberg a few years see if he wins a scoring title again and leads Philly to the Cup then we'll talk. Forsberg was never the best player on his team in '96 or '01 his two Cup wins.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Goldark

Quote:
Having said that, Forsberg might be the best 2 way player in history.
He might, if guys like Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe weren't ahead of him.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Goldark

By the way, I voted Esposito, and it's really not that close.

Old
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
pei fan

Quote:
...............and one had Bobby Orr.

Old
11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Forsberg might be the best 2 way player in history.
For the majority of his career, you could make the argument Forsberg wasn't even the best 2way player on his team.

Don't get me wrong, Forsberg's a great player, but it kills me how overrated his defensive game is when I see comments like this.

Old
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
Pete has been on a stacked contender his entire career.

Old
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Esposito for me. I've only seen him play in the Summit Series on DVD but he's amazing.

Old
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
Forsberg's had Sakic, Bourque, Roy, Blake, Sundin, Nolan, Foote, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury and Ozolinch.

Old
11-09-2005, 05:44 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

As a Forsberg fan I'm upset at this comparison!! It makes him look bad.

They are two totally different kinds of player but Esposito is clearly better from all I've ever seen and known. I'd take Messier over him, but barely, and Yzerman isn't far behind. They are the highest echelon of hockey perfection, below the hockey gods of course. (If it even needs saying: Among forwards, Gretzky and Lemieux are the hockey gods. It's unfair to every other forward to even try and compare them to those two.)

Forsberg, Jagr and Fedorov are all on par, in my opinion, as among those on the third tier of greatness, with super skills in some areas of their game.

Imagine one player combining Forsberg's passing, vision and strength on his skates, with Jagr's size, shot and nose for the net and with Fedorov's skating, movement and defensive ability. Then you'd be justified in putting him in the class of Esposito, Messier and Howe.

I take nothing away from any of them. These are all the heroes of my life.

Old
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
As a Forsberg fan I'm upset at this comparison!! It makes him look bad.

They are two totally different kinds of player but Esposito is clearly better from all I've ever seen and known. I'd take Messier over him, but barely, and Yzerman isn't far behind. They are the highest echelon of hockey perfection, below the hockey gods of course. (If it even needs saying: Among forwards, Gretzky and Lemieux are the hockey gods. It's unfair to every other forward to even try and compare them to those two.)

Forsberg, Jagr and Fedorov are all on par, in my opinion, as among those on the third tier of greatness, with super skills in some areas of their game.

Imagine one player combining Forsberg's passing, vision and strength on his skates, with Jagr's size, shot and nose for the net and with Fedorov's skating, movement and defensive ability. Then you'd be justified in putting him in the class of Esposito, Messier and Howe.

I take nothing away from any of them. These are all the heroes of my life.
Not even big mouth Phil would say he skated like Fedorov. And Phil's defensive play was a joke. What about his "team" play consisting of refusing to come off the ice even with coaches hollering at him.

His signature "move" was to park himself in front of the net and use his size to jam the puck in. His slapper didnt exist. He couldnt skate. He didnt like to pass (see 76 goals 76 assists). He was too slow/tired to come back.

I wouldnt put him in the class of Howe.
Nor Messier in either Howe or Espo's class.

Old
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
oh yeah, totally. Esposito's career goals scored were the result of 717 shots that Bobby Orr bounced off him

People put WAY to much emphasis on being a "complete" player I think. He couldn't skate, he didn't backcheck...so what? He was the most prolific goal scorer of his generation. And remember, a goal is a goal is a goal, whether it's an end to end rush or a garbage goal at the side of the net. They're all worth the same.

Old
11-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Marcus-74

Peter Forsberg without a question... and not just because Esposito is a ******* redneck IMO.

On which aspect of hockey is Esposito actually better, except scoring? And since this comparison is slightly unfair to Forsberg (He is not a finished article yet), the choise is even easier to make.

Closed Thread