HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doug Weight.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2005, 08:30 PM
  #26
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman72
I've got to say that I think and hope that he comes back to the Oil at the deadline. This is where he belongs and he never would have left but for the bags of money that you just can't ignore.
I thought he left because the Oilers didn't want to lose him as a UFA and get nothing for him - the bags of money just came after St. Louis got stupid with what they thought he was worth.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 08:39 PM
  #27
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
Yeah you can't compare Weight's value to Lang's. Lang had 3 years on his contract at a fairly reasonable salary. Weight will be a UFA and will thus get something more like what Zhamnov was traded for, or Smolinski or any other seemingly rental-type player.

MY guess:
-2nd round pick
-mid-low level prospect, ie a projected NHLer but not a first or second liner

So if it was Ottawa making the trade:
-2nd round pick in 2006
-Christoph Schubert
No defensemen! We need forwards (unless you're going to dangle Brian Lee out there - then I might change my mind). Bochenski?

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
  #28
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,261
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
No defensemen! We need forwards (unless you're going to dangle Brian Lee out there - then I might change my mind). Bochenski?
I would definately offer up Bochenski to get Weight.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:42 PM
  #29
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,677
vCash: 500
Kolanos, Lisin and a third?

rt is online now  
Old
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
  #30
trublu16
Registered User
 
trublu16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Barely amonth into the season, Blues are the slum lords of the NHL. And Weight already seen as a trade dealine line guy. But his value is considered as a grinder a a mid level pic. What a joke.

Lets see, the more that you argue who will be coming for his services the better for the blues. I know and understand that he is a goner at the trade dealine, the only question is for what?

So let the bidding wars begin for Weight. And the blues should snag some pics for him(possibly a high 2nd or a low 1st and a 3rd)

trublu16 is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 12:34 AM
  #31
expensivedirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Remember trublu that he is moving on in his age and has a hefty contract. He is also counterproductive to the Blues youth movement. You won't be netting much for him. A mid level prospect and a third is about as good as it gets.

Now with that said, I wouldnt mind him in Vancouver to play on our top line in the playoffs. Could shuffle between third and 1st.

To St.Louis

One of Josef Baljai *sp?*, Jason King, Kirill Koltsov, Thomas Mozjis and a third.

To Vancouver

Doug Weight

expensivedirt is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 12:42 AM
  #32
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16
But his value is considered as a grinder a a mid level pic. What a joke.
Who's the grinder?

rt is online now  
Old
11-10-2005, 12:50 AM
  #33
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,677
vCash: 500
I was actually kind of hoping that the Coyotes might have a chance at picking him up before the deadline. Nedved has been injured alot, and despite Comrie's very solid play as of late, I think we could use another top center (can't have too many )

NHL ready ( ?) guys like Kolanos, Lehoux, and Lundmark could be available. Guys a step below top prospect status ala Lisin, Porter, or Spiller could be probably be had. A first rounder is pretty steep, but depending on what else is involved in the deal from our end I could possibly see a second going to St. Louis.
The potential line-up excites me:
Nagy-Weight-Doan
Leclerc-Nedved-Saprykin
Sanderson-Comrie-Johnson
Nash-Ricci-Devereaux
Although, I guess Doug Weight would probably make every lineup look better.


Last edited by rt: 11-10-2005 at 02:22 AM.
rt is online now  
Old
11-10-2005, 02:29 AM
  #34
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
No defensemen! We need forwards (unless you're going to dangle Brian Lee out there - then I might change my mind). Bochenski?
Don't you think that Weight has a say in, to which team he wants to go? I mean wouldn't he rather like to play for a Stanley Cup contender than for a team that barely makes the show?

I think that Bochenski is a good start from an Ottawa perspective and Muckler can toss in a 2nd or 3rd, if needed.

Safir* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 02:30 AM
  #35
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivedirt
Remember trublu that he is moving on in his age and has a hefty contract. He is also counterproductive to the Blues youth movement. You won't be netting much for him. A mid level prospect and a third is about as good as it gets.

Now with that said, I wouldnt mind him in Vancouver to play on our top line in the playoffs. Could shuffle between third and 1st.

To St.Louis

One of Josef Baljai *sp?*, Jason King, Kirill Koltsov, Thomas Mozjis and a third.

To Vancouver

Doug Weight
Don't you guys have enough centers (Morrison, Sedin, Linden, Park, Kessler)? Don't the Canucks need one or maybe two Dman?

Safir* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 05:16 AM
  #36
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärppä32
Don't you think that Weight has a say in, to which team he wants to go? I mean wouldn't he rather like to play for a Stanley Cup contender than for a team that barely makes the show?

I think that Bochenski is a good start from an Ottawa perspective and Muckler can toss in a 2nd or 3rd, if needed.
Well obviously every trade proposed on these boards is under the assumption that all players that have a NTC have waived it, and I don't think Ottawa is going to be a "team that barely makes the show" this year.

In a perfect world, Weight would fetch what Lang got in '04. But I'm realistic enough to know he won't. I'd be thrilled to get a 1st back for him, but a good prospect and a 2nd is probably going to be the max we can expect.

Edmonton - I looked over their prospect list, and I don't see them moving Pouliot in a deal for Weight. Cogliano doesn't excite me at the moment.

Phoenix - I'll get back to you later.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 05:46 AM
  #37
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Well obviously every trade proposed on these boards is under the assumption that all players that have a NTC have waived it, and I don't think Ottawa is going to be a "team that barely makes the show" this year.
Oh...you kind of misunderstood me IB.

When I was talking about a Stanley Cup contender, I was talking about the Senators. Oilers and Coyotes will have to fight very hard to make it to the playoffs.

Sens: Weight
Blues: Bochenski & a 2nd rounder.

--> My highest offer from the Sens.

Safir* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 06:01 AM
  #38
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Well obviously every trade proposed on these boards is under the assumption that all players that have a NTC have waived it, and I don't think Ottawa is going to be a "team that barely makes the show" this year.

In a perfect world, Weight would fetch what Lang got in '04. But I'm realistic enough to know he won't. I'd be thrilled to get a 1st back for him, but a good prospect and a 2nd is probably going to be the max we can expect.

Edmonton - I looked over their prospect list, and I don't see them moving Pouliot in a deal for Weight. Cogliano doesn't excite me at the moment.

Phoenix - I'll get back to you later.
He should.

The Blues might be better off trying to target Eaves from Ottawa. Edit-this part was for Tom.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 06:05 AM
  #39
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
He should. The Blues might be better off trying to target Eaves from Ottawa.
I wouldn't support such a deal and I see Eaves as a regular on next years roster.

Safir* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 06:07 AM
  #40
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärppä32
I wouldn't support such a deal and I see Eaves as a regular on next years roster.
So you think that Eaves is more valuable than Bochenski and a 2nd? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eaves, but from what I saw when he was at BC, I think his game will translate more to a third liner in the NHL.

Legionnaire is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 06:14 AM
  #41
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
So you think that Eaves is more valuable than Bochenski and a 2nd? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eaves, but from what I saw when he was at BC, I think his game will translate more to a third liner in the NHL.
No. I just prefer Eaves over Bochenski.

Eaves is the kind of player that the Sens have been missing for so long. Yes on the offensive loaden Senators Eaves might be 3rd liner, but a perfect grinder and PK guy. His value to the club is higher than his player value. I see him a line with Fisher and Neill.


Last edited by Safir*: 11-10-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Safir* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 06:38 AM
  #42
Michael Karlstrom II
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
i love how some people are so sure of themselves. i have to admit that the current trade market has tossed us a couple curve balls recently to throw off our measuring sticks but then that is always the case when there are unpredictable GM's making decesions around the NHL such as Mad Mike in NY and Keenen in Florida to name just two who always confound us here on these boards making our own evaluations.

As for Weight... he is a proven front line lower end center. I dont think he would make most people's top 10 list of who you would want powering your team for a playoff run, but if you were stuck with him in the role, you could still get the job done if the rest of your team was A-ok.

If Weight could be used on a second line, he would be pretty dang awesome.

If St Louis tried to move him right this moment, there would be alot of trouble finding anyone willing to take that salary. His trade value would be very low as a result. Most teams right now sort of figure that their scoring line center jobs are adequetly handled and the couple teams that want a center really don't have much payroom and/or tradeable assets to give up for a guy like Weight.

Now if St Louis holds Weight until the deadline, there will be more teams wanting to grab him. At that point the salary/cap hit isn't as brutal. More teams will have had a season to figure out that their center ice spot isn't as solid as they had hoped for. Injuries will have popped up at bad time.

When Weight gets dealt [and he will] it will be for at least a first round value in return. Some team that is headed for the playoffs with a chance to win and a need for a great second line center will give up at least that much. Also, I figure a near-NHL ready lower-tier prospect or a useful third line younger type player will probably also be involved in the deal.

Trade value at the deadline when the deal goes down will thus be someone to step into the Blues lineup now and a top grade propect. Bet on it

 
Old
11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
  #43
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Legionnaire - I agree with you on Eaves. If I got impressed with Cogliano enough I might consider an offer with him, but right now I'm not. (Give me a few more months when Weight would be more likely to be traded, I may well have changed my mind on him.)

Karlstrom - all of this is in the "at the deadline, what could Weight get" scenario. I mentioned here that this is how I'm looking at what we could get for Weight.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 07:11 AM
  #44
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,261
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
So you think that Eaves is more valuable than Bochenski and a 2nd? I don't.
The Sens hold Eaves in much higher regard than Bochenski. Bochenski is a pure goal scorer who doesn't do much else. Eaves can do everything.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 09:13 AM
  #45
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Legionnaire - If I got impressed with Cogliano enough I might consider an offer with him, but right now I'm not. (Give me a few more months when Weight would be more likely to be traded, I may well have changed my mind on him.)
IB,
I respect your opinion and think you have many good points in your posts. But perhaps you are under rating Cogliano, I am fine that you are, and a lot of GM's did at the draft as well. He has been the best Michigan player this year, won the CCHA Rookie of the Month honors. He will lead his team in points this year. He has been compared to a Paul Kariya with his speed and vision (and size unfortunately). I think this kid is as talented as anyone in our farm system, Schremp included.

As far as a trade goes. I think if edmonton is in a playoff spot then they will trade for him, and I am pretty sure that Dougie would waive his NTC to come back here. But....... What does edmonton have to give St.Louis. We will not part with Pouliot, Schremp or Cogs. What I could see happening is a Brodziak or Winchester with a second. Maybe we send a additional player and get one of our defense men back. Just a thought. I think if edmonton is in the playoffs when the trade deadline comes, we will acquire dougie unless we make a move for a different center before then. JMO.

Cogliano will be a mix of Daniel Briere and Paul Kariya.

rigger is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
  #46
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
IB,
I respect your opinion and think you have many good points in your posts. But perhaps you are under rating Cogliano, I am fine that you are, and a lot of GM's did at the draft as well. He has been the best Michigan player this year, won the CCHA Rookie of the Month honors. He will lead his team in points this year. He has been compared to a Paul Kariya with his speed and vision (and size unfortunately). I think this kid is as talented as anyone in our farm system, Schremp included.

As far as a trade goes. I think if edmonton is in a playoff spot then they will trade for him, and I am pretty sure that Dougie would waive his NTC to come back here. But....... What does edmonton have to give St.Louis. We will not part with Pouliot, Schremp or Cogs. What I could see happening is a Brodziak or Winchester with a second. Maybe we send a additional player and get one of our defense men back. Just a thought. I think if edmonton is in the playoffs when the trade deadline comes, we will acquire dougie unless we make a move for a different center before then. JMO.

Cogliano will be a mix of Daniel Briere and Paul Kariya.
He doesn't have the shot of either of those guys though so that doesn't quite fit.

Legionnaire is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
  #47
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
He doesn't have the shot of either of those guys though so that doesn't quite fit.
You may be right, but early on in his career, which makes it very hard to judge. He has proven to be quite the finisher.

Paul Kariya
39 gp: 0.64 gpg - 2.56 ppg

Cogliano
9 gp: 0.78 ggp - 1.67 ppg

He was held pointless in the first few games of the season, the adjustment period from tier 2 to NCAA. If he played this well all season he would have a goal a game average and 2 point. No doubt Karyia had more talent then then AC has now, but he is a very good player and will do very well in the new NHL.

rigger is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
  #48
RTWAP*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thug Life
Country: US Virgin Islands
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 500
Weight for Smolinksi, Glass/Bochenski and a 3rd round pick.

RTWAP* is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 10:39 AM
  #49
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
Weight for Smolinksi, Glass/Bochenski and a 3rd round pick.
I don't think St. Louis will want to take any salary back, we'll have room for Weight's contract near the deadline anyways (plus Smoke's vet. leadership will help in the playoffs). I really think that Bochenski and a 2nd/3rd will get it done.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
11-10-2005, 10:48 AM
  #50
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
IB,
I respect your opinion and think you have many good points in your posts. But perhaps you are under rating Cogliano, I am fine that you are, and a lot of GM's did at the draft as well. He has been the best Michigan player this year, won the CCHA Rookie of the Month honors. He will lead his team in points this year. He has been compared to a Paul Kariya with his speed and vision (and size unfortunately). I think this kid is as talented as anyone in our farm system, Schremp included.

As far as a trade goes. I think if edmonton is in a playoff spot then they will trade for him, and I am pretty sure that Dougie would waive his NTC to come back here. But....... What does edmonton have to give St.Louis. We will not part with Pouliot, Schremp or Cogs. What I could see happening is a Brodziak or Winchester with a second. Maybe we send a additional player and get one of our defense men back. Just a thought. I think if edmonton is in the playoffs when the trade deadline comes, we will acquire dougie unless we make a move for a different center before then. JMO.

Cogliano will be a mix of Daniel Briere and Paul Kariya.
1. I'll freely admit, I may be underrating Cogliano. That's why I'm willing to see what he does in the next 3-4 months and then evaluate him again closer to when Weight might be traded.
2. Since Pouliot, Schremp and Cogliano are off limits, I'd be hard pressed to consider another prospect back at the moment. And if we're sending Lynch or Woywitka back to Edmonton, I'd expect a prospect back to take their place.

Not saying a deal couldn't be worked out, but there's no rush to get one done today. Let me do some research, see who I like in the Oilers farm system, and see what we can come up with.

Irish Blues is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.