HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday Thread:Edmonton @ Vancouver 10/11

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Silver

vCash: 500
Anyone here have ESPN NHL Hockey? (AKA Sega 2K4)

If you do, you know how damned annoying all the comments about the shoulder are.

Millen always sounds like that with "puck support." If I hear him pontificate about that one more time........

Old
10-11-2003, 08:10 PM
momentai

Geez, I was saying that the San Jose game showed a lot of hitting and aggressiveness... Well, looks like that went right out the freaking window tonight.

The Oilers are getting killed tonight and the score really isn't indicative of how the Canucks have manhandled the OIler team everywhere on the ice. Hardly anyone on the team is skating AT ALL... and they can't manage to get any loose pucks or keep the puck on their own sticks without it getting pokechecked off.

And our powerplay is still pathetic. It's all well and good that they've worked on setting up the plays within the offensive zone... Guess the Oilers need to work on how to actually get into the offensive zone in the first place.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
You know whats the problem? recieving passes. Why on earth can't we recieve passes? puck first then skate. Why are they mishandling the pucks like it's a hot potato?? jitters? omg sadness.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I thought if a 2 game message was necessary....then fine. Cross looked like he need an oxygen mask after that 1st period.
I never understood that 2 game message. Semi proved most of the year last season how valuable he was to the team. All of a sudden he has a little bump in training camp, that washes away all the good things he did last season, and he gets sat down for Cross and Ferguson. I don't get it... but it's always MacT with his veterans...

Old
10-11-2003, 08:18 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Really sad effort tonight. The only Oiler who I would say is having a good game is Bergeron, at least he's still skating, getting pucks and making good decisions. Everyone else is either pretty indifferent or just plain bad. The chances Horcoff and York blew in the first really coulda changed things. But it's always the same with Horcoff, play a good, fast hockey team, and watch him revert back to the player who is 2 steps behind all the time.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What a pass!

Where's a finisher when ya need one?

Old
10-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Silver

How bad is it when you average less than half a shot per powerplay?

We'd be better off declining penalties.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:28 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
What a pass!

Where's a finisher when ya need one?
Can't blame Smith on that one. He did his best. At least he was there.

Smith seems like the only player that cares out there tonight. Every shift.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

14 whole shots

Old
10-11-2003, 08:33 PM
momentai

So... do we start missing Janne Niinimaa yet?

Old
10-11-2003, 08:35 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Yep, and yet I bet we would miss him alot less if Semenov was in the lineup.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Oi'll say!

Not a pretty sight, eh?

They played the whole game like they played against SJ in the first 30 mins of the opener.

That looked like a Minnesota/Dallas game.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Digger12

Quote:
I know I'm sure missing Semenov...

He had better be in the lineup next game after this 'performance' tonight.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:40 PM
gretzky2kurri

There's alot of work ahead.

I still keep wondering how we could change the face of our D with a Comrie package.

Comrie and Brewer could land a couple solid D-men.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Fists of Fuhry

two words....

UG and LY kinda like this guy

http://www.com.cuhk.edu.hk/ubeat/010...ly4%20copy.jpg

Old
10-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Lowetide

I'm not too down on them. The Canucks are a team that is clearly a step above the Oilers in terms of the cycle they're in, and they should win a home game between the two.

MacT said it was a test. They failed. Semenov will likely draw back in for the Calgary game and the powerplay can't be any worse than it was tonight.

York in the middle is in tough, isn't he? MAN it would be nice to have a stud at center ice.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:45 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I'm not too down on them. The Canucks are a team that is clearly a step above the Oilers in terms of the cycle they're in, and they should win a home game between the two.

MacT said it was a test. They failed. Semenov will likely draw back in for the Calgary game and the powerplay can't be any worse than it was tonight.

York in the middle is in tough, isn't he? MAN it would be nice to have a stud at center ice.
The Canucks are a better team, no doubt. But there's a difference between getting beat when putting out your best effort... and getting beat like the Oilers were tonight.

Hoo boy did they fail and I'll never understand how the heck Semenov was benched in the first place. One training camp DOES NOT wipe out an entire season of good play.

York was soft out there tonight... I was shaking my head when he got pushed away by Cooke on the goal mouth tap in from jovonoski.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
The Canucks are a better team, no doubt. But there's a difference between getting beat when putting out your best effort... and getting beat like the Oilers were tonight.

Hoo boy did they fail and I'll never understand how the heck Semenov was benched in the first place. One training camp DOES NOT wipe out an entire season of good play.

York was soft out there tonight... I was shaking my head when he got pushed away by Cooke on the goal mouth tap in from jovonoski.
I think the Oilers are intimidated. I thought it was just like last year when the Oil would come out, give it some gas and the first thing to go wrong they're inthe tank. The Staios clip SHOULD have been a penalty, but it wasn't.

That kind of thing happens in every game. I think the Oilers as a group don't play with the same type of confidence against this team as they do against other clubs. They have the same kind of relationship with Dallas.

Thats why Lowe went out and got some size. Now I guess he has to tell these guys to use it.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think the Oilers are intimidated. I thought it was just like last year when the Oil would come out, give it some gas and the first thing to go wrong they're inthe tank. The Staios clip SHOULD have been a penalty, but it wasn't.

That kind of thing happens in every game. I think the Oilers as a group don't play with the same type of confidence against this team as they do against other clubs. They have the same kind of relationship with Dallas.

Thats why Lowe went out and got some size. Now I guess he has to tell these guys to use it.
Perhaps... but if this was happening when we were smaller and Lowe decided we needed to get bigger to solve the problem... We got bigger as a team and the same kind of thing happens again.

It's not so much a size issue IMO.. it's a mental attitude that they have to come into the game with... Size isn't going to change a thing with this team.. someone has to get the team better prepared mentally for games such as these. Because judging from today's game, they were woefully ill prepared to deal with the circumstances of tonight.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Man, didn't the canucks do horrible tonight? Luckily they played defence. And this is what our team looks like without a first line, not bad at all actually. You'll get romped next time. I hope Grenier can play next time and go after Isbister, please Crawford, stick him in.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:00 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Trading Brewer would be a mistake IMO. I wish Semenov was in tonight, atleast we know he can skate, unlike Ferggy and Cross. But it makes me wonder, are they sending him a message or are they making sure he's healthy for a trade with Comrie? I really don't want Semenov traded, but it might be a possability. Or was it stated it was just a lession for Semenov? Because I never heard anything official about that.

PS: Poor game all around...both teams sucked on the PP. We didn't look to bad once we set up, but we spent entire power plays just trying to enter the zone. Same problem as last season.

Good note, Smyth was W10 L3 76% in the faceoff circle tonight!

Old
10-11-2003, 09:04 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAsT
Trading Brewer would be a mistake IMO. I wish Semenov was in tonight, atleast we know he can skate, unlike Ferggy and Cross. But it makes me wonder, are they sending him a message or are they making sure he's healthy for a trade with Comrie? I really don't want Semenov traded, but it might be a possability. Or was it stated it was just a lession for Semenov? Because I never heard anything official about that.
Goodness, I hope that isn't the case with the Oil trading Semi. Let's just say that I would feel worse about Kevin Lowe as a GM than Mizral does.. But I doubt it. Lowe would have to be completely insane to be trading any of our dmen away at this point.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

PS: Poor game all around...both teams sucked on the PP. We didn't look to bad once we set up, but we spent entire power plays just trying to enter the zone. Same problem as last season.

Good note, Smyth was W10 L3 76% in the faceoff circle tonight!
And he won 4 of those 10 against Trevor Linden who's a natural centre.

10-11-2003, 09:05 PM
FacelessButcher

Well not a very good effort I think the first goal with the pick really deflated us and should have been called, the third goal my GOD DO NOT PUT CROSS ON THE POWERPLAY EVER he has absolutely no chance of back-checking should he miss a pinch, more importantly he still brings nothing to it hes not a good passer and his shot is nothing special he has no vision, and no lateral movement or powerplay quarterback qualities what so ever. U want to feed him extra time Mactavish put him infront of the net on the PK to deliver the lumber to someones back whenever Smith is not doing it.This is my pp and pk lines

PP1
Smyth-York-Dvorak
Brewer-Semenov

York wins draws can make plays,Dvo is a sniper,Smyth corner work+tips, Brewer vision+ puck movement+ nice wrister, Semenov cannon

PP2
Isbister-Horcoff-Hemsky
Staios-Bergeron

Horc wins draws+reads play well+finds seams, Isbister corners+make goalie mad+ cause hassle, Hemsky vision+ puck movement+ sweet passer, Staios use to play forward has marginal offensive instincts and can play safe to keep Bergie out of trouble, Bergeron good puck distrubutor+ offensive knack seems well suited on the PP.

PK1
Moreau-Reasoner
Staios-Smith

Reasoner wins draws+good defensively+good skater causes short handed chances, Moreau good chem with Reasoner+ makes smart defensive plays+rarely a liability, Staios solid especially when paired with Smith,Smith lay lumber+ control power forwards+ keep crease clear for Tommy+block shots.

PK2
Dvorak-Horcoff
Brewer-Cross

Dvorak good speed+defensive awareness+ scary with Horc SHG shall rain like wine IMO, Horcoff faceoff man+two-way player+good speed can attack the point intelligently, Brewer makes the plays he needs to make to keep the puck out of the net+dominance on smaller forwards down low is something special(worth occasional bone-head passes), Cross a big guy in front who can keep the crease clear and block incoming shots.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:06 PM
elphy101

Quote:
. Or was it stated it was just a lession for Semenov? Because I never heard anything official about that.
Semenov had a pretty bad training camp from all reports. He seems to every year.

That on top of the fact that MacT just hates sitting his veterans and you have Semenov in the pressbox. All I have to say is we have two great 7th defensemen in Cross and Ferguson. Too bad MacT doesn't see them as such. There is room in the top 6 for one of them, and definitely not on the powerplay (Cross on the PP is just stupid).

Closed Thread