HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gameday Thread:Edmonton @ Vancouver 10/11

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 08:08 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
York in the middle is in tough, isn't he? MAN it would be nice to have a stud at center ice.
Ah.....the dark side.....

Centerman.....d-man.....taste great.......less filling.

I feel we need some experience and composure on our backline to even think about competing this spring. Or arriving for that matter. The young talent up front might start putting itself together.

Although I would highly agree we are lacking faceoff talent and experience in the middle this season.

MacT has his hands full. I'm trying to give him a clean slate this season and be optimistic. I made a personal promise not to start being too critical about him until December. We'll see how that goes. I'm not saying MacT is a bad coach. I just hope he's the right one for this young club.

As much as people hate to hear it, a team this young and inexperienced needs to focus on defence and at least some systems with a huge emphasis on team play.

I just hope in December I'm not complaining about a coaching philosophy of "try and out skate the other team and play chase the puck". And 3 different line combos per week. (It seems like this year they are bragging about this approach now)

When you win those high flying "Smytty shirt flapping" games it feels pretty triumpant. But they are too rare. You need to put some runs together. And when we won 10 in a row 2 seasons ago you didn't hear too many people complaining about the tight checking games.

They made Salo look like Brodeur that month.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:10 PM
momentai

Geez... we all got extremely negative in just two days. It's a wonder what time can do. Well, the Oilers' play tonight didn't help any.

It's only been two games and we've seen two different Oiler teams show up. One in the second of half of the San Jose game and the one against the Canucks tonight. The Oilers had better pull themselves out of this one against Calgary.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Goodness, I hope that isn't the case with the Oil trading Semi. Let's just say that I would feel worse about Kevin Lowe as a GM than Mizral does.. But I doubt it. Lowe would have to be completely insane to be trading any of our dmen away at this point.
The only way Lowe trades Semi at this point is if he caught him in bed with Mrs. Lowe.

At least I hope so.

The thing that gets me is this: Both Semenov and Pisani had decent rookie seasons last year...both have supposedly lackluster camps, yet Pisani doesn't miss a shift and Semenov needs to be given a message?

Old
10-11-2003, 08:16 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Geez... we all got extremely negative in just two days. It's a wonder what time can do. Well, the Oilers' play tonight didn't help any.
With a performance like tonight. The Oilers sure as hell make it easy to jump off the bandwagon. I still can't believe Semenov was not in the lineup.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

My take on this game...

The better coached team won. Why you ask?

I am all for rewarding your grinders with 30 second stints of powerplay time but when "Torque" and "RPM" are out there at the start of each powerplay it frustrates me because as much as i like at least one of those lines...we do have more talented guys that should be there.

The powerplay was brutal tonight and it even gave up a short hander on a weak back check. What happened to Bergeron and Hemsky as the d-man on the powerplay...i think it was and would have continued to work? Then have Staios and Brewer as the second unit, this way that waste of a hockey stick in Cory Cross doesn't have to touch the ice and turn the game back into even strength!

Its sad it really is. MacT and Simmer have to realize that in order for our powerplay to work we need our most talented guys on the ice...in case you missed it the announcers even commented on how Crawford let Cooke out on the last powerplay to try and score hit hat trick but that he usually wouldn't see that ice time. My point is if Cooke shouldn't see it neither should Pisani and Moreau.

The reffing was fair yet i am not sure i would go as far as to call it good. They called a tight game but called it down the middle so we can't blame the game on them.

Tommy Salo was average. Both goalies seemed to be going down early on a lot of shots tonight but that plays into their consistent style. Tommy made a lot of nice saves including the beauty glove off of Naslund and on all three Vancouver goals there was at least 1 more player responsible other than Tommy.
But in order to be a true number 1 in this league you have to make at least one of those saves...odd man rushes are a part of the game and hopefully as the year goes on Tommy will improve in stopping them.
Grade = B

Three of the defensemen were average, two were brutal, and one was above average. It should be common sense as to who was above average if you watched the game...that would be the guy with the least experience but most poise = Marc Andre Bergeron. Although the powerplay was disgusting Bergie did what he could in that aspect and played a pretty solid game.
Brewer, Smith, and Staios were all average, not good enough to help us win the game but weren't really the main reasons we gave up goals or lost the game.
Ferguson and Cross would NOT make my beer league teams, seriously we would cut them...signing Cross to a three year deal may turn out to be the worst decision of Kevin Lowe's term as general manager. The guy has no speed, very little skill, and lately hasn't even been using his size to his advantage. Ferguson was better than Cross because he was less noticable but that could be because he saw less ice either way neither of them belong in this league because they are slow and talentless.
All i can say is that Semenov better damn well be in the line up on Tuesday in Calgary or someone needs to give their head a shake, hell Huddy should lace them up he probably has more left in the tank than Cross.
Overall Grade = C- (Bergie's A definitely boosts the overall rating)

Some forwards had better games, some were the same but others had pretty forgetable outings. One of the names that deserves mention in the better category is Brad Isbister...i thought he had more jump in his step from start to finish and continued to play with agression. Just to add to that I thought his hit on Linden was more of a blind side check than from behind and i think the announcers over-reacted pretty bad but a better game from Izzy.
Horcoff as well as both Reasoner and Dvorak at times were also better tonight than against San Jose. Dvorak's hands weren't there but his feet were moving in comparison to a lot of other guys.
The "Torque" line continued to click during the 5 on 5 game but because their wasn't a whole lot of 5 on 5 hockey played tonight their energy level seemed to diminish as the game wore on. Torres and Laraque were both average tonight down a level or two from Thursday against the Sharks.
Chimera could fit into the average category tonight just only because there were a number of guys who had worse games but by no means is this what will continue to warrant Chimera second line minutes. Last but not least Ales Hemsky was only average tonight, besides a nice pass early in the game to someone who rang it off Hedberg's lid and his great saucer to Smith late in the game, he seemed slow and a little intimidated as he was easily pushed off the puck at times.
Ales and the rest of this list will have to pick up their games a notch in order to get back on a winning note in the near future.
Now for the bad, Moreau isn't playing like a guy with long term security in his contract and an "A" on his chest, i expect more from him in terms of intensity and perhaps offense come Tuesday.
Pisani is bad, both games he has looked out of place and moreso tonight...Izzy was the whipping boy in game 1 and i think Fernando is my favorite to take over that position. Sorry but his one way contract was another mistake and Rita would have his position on this roster if that was not the case.
Mike York was another Oiler forward who frustrated me tonight after impressing me against San Jose. York is supposed to be fast which in tern makes up for his lack of size but tonight he was flat footed from the opening draw, couldn't complete a pass if his life depended on it, and took lazy unnecessary penalties when the team was just starting to gain momentum.
And finally, Ryan Smyth, I don't know if he was hurting or just didn't earn his ice time tonight but I thought he was one of the least effective Oilers on this night. Why is he no longer going to the front of the net looking for deflections and rebounds on the powerplay? Centermen are still allowed to do that if that is their role and someone needs to inform Ryan of this. His overall game was unfortunate tonight and i was left wanting and expecting more from him.
Ryan, Mike, Ethan, and Fernando better get in the zone between now and Tuesday and show up in Calgary with their game faces or else MacT may be given the green light to once again go into his magical line juggling act.
Overal grade = D (I couldn't give them anything higher because they don't deserve it. When you don't score any goals or even create any high quality chances or shots in in general a D should be considered a blessing)

Outside of Bergeron and maybe Isibister i thought this team put forth a lack of effort tonight and i thought MacT was partially to blame for the weak powerplay as he had the wrong guys on the ice.

The funniest part of the whole night was how hard everyone and their dog was trying to investigate into the whole Comrie situation. Ron McLean was hounding KLO for any sort of information and then rather than talking to MacT about the game at hand they lead his interview off with more bait to try and make him discuss the lack of Comrie and what his future holds. Even the announcers and the Satellite Hot Stove were getting in on the act and throwing out their two bits but in the end we don't know anymore than we did this morning or at least i don't. Hopefully the Oilers either start playing better hockey or deal with the Comrie situation ASAP otherwise it is going to be a huge distraction for this club, on and off the ice.
Tuesday just better be a different story cuz i don't want to have to walk out of the Saddledome with my Oiler jersey on and my head hung in disgust.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:24 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
They will score many more goals than the Sedin line, and it all starts tonight
You are in BIG trouble then.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Lowetide

Quote:

It's only been two games and we've seen two different Oiler teams show up. One in the second of half of the San Jose game and the one against the Canucks tonight. The Oilers had better pull themselves out of this one against Calgary.

I saw some positives tonight:

1. Staios took it personally. He could have played in 1970, and I mean that as a compliment.

2. Hemsky is a "hair" better in physical games. I'm not saying he's a shrinking violet, but he was a typical rookie in the playoffs (rookies aree usually ineffective in their first year playoffs. Pace and style). He found room today.

3. Brewer, Bergeron, Staios and Smith can skate well enough to play in the NHL. So can Semenov. This truth was hilighted tonight, and one would expect MacTavish to take action.

4. Ferguson seemed to find the ice less as the game went on.

5. Isbister was a little dirty. The Oilers could use more of this.

6. The 4line competed. They weren't exceptional, but there was alot of try, and I recall a couple of plays (Horcoff was alone early, puck almost got there) early that could have gone.

7. They lost 3-0. It could have been worse.

8. The pk was a high wire act, but they didn't give up a goal.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:40 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
We need to sign Comrie or Trade him. If we Trade him i would hope it is for Tyler Arnason fron Chicago a decently big centre at 5'11 210 and has abilty now and lots of potential and hopefully we could get a decent Defenceman to

Old
10-11-2003, 08:46 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl161861
I'm wearing my lucky Oilers shirt tonight- they won the last game when I wore it. Superstitious? maybe. Pumped and Excited? definitely !
Burn that Jersey!!! or ask LoweTide real nicely to do his naked ritual dance around it for a proper exorcism

Old
10-11-2003, 08:51 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
3. Brewer, Bergeron, Staios and Smith can skate well enough to play in the NHL. So can Semenov. This truth was hilighted tonight, and one would expect MacTavish to take action.
I wonder who that leaves out... It couldn't be Cross and Ferguson would it?

Man, if we kept Niinimaa.. we could have a d pairing of

Niinimaa-Smith
Brewer-Staios
Semenov-Bergeron

How nice would that be?

Old
10-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I thought Cross was OK from what I heard.

But Fergy must REALLY be slow. He barely beat DANIEL SEDIN in a chase for the puck. BARELY.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'm not quite sure it's the disaster everyone is making it out to be.

Smyth was rather kickass, I thought. The only Oiler who showed up with any emotion, and as a consequence of it got beat down physically, yet persevered. There's not many things that Edmonton can look to Calgary as a role model for, but this is one of them - Give Ryan Smyth the captaincy of the Edmonton Oilers! He will take it and run with it.

Why does Laraque see more time in the slot on the power play than Isbister?

Old
10-11-2003, 09:41 PM
windowlicker

the oilers were so badly outplayed it looked funny. it looked like they didnt even belong in thesame league as the canucks. and that scares me. maybe all that talent, all those points we traded away (marchant, carter, niinimaa) really is too much for a young team in transition. i just felt such disgust tonite...
and WHAT THE HELL IS CROSS DOING ON THE PP..... I MEAN that was COMICAL..... for that matter.. WHat the hell is he doing on this TEAM...

this performance really scares me.. i mean... we play colorado this year.. dont we??? what happens then?

it also looked like everytime the nucks pressured.. we Tried to stop them, but since theyre an NHL team and edmonton ices an AHL line up(evidently).. all we could do was hack, slash and chase..... after this perfomance it seems the only way we can get on a Possible equal footing with teams like vancouver is to somehow sign Berard Immediately.. get rid of cross and ferguson, start playing semenov and get a Very above average return for MC.. Immediately...

(im sorry, but tonite not only was the oil not in thesame class as the canucks.. they were not in thesame league)

Old
10-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Digger12

Just a point of perspective...everyone here (myself included) has been railing about the deficiencies of Ferguson and Cross, yet they were a combined -1 tonight. The Smith/Staios combo were a combined -5, yet nobody talks about them. If someone just looked at the boxscore and nothing else, they'd wonder about the terrible game Staios had; he was on the ice for every Canuck goal. It just goes to show how stats rarely tell the whole story.

Lowetide was on the right track...the Oilers came into GM Place and played like they didn't expect to win. It felt like we were watching a game against the Stars at Reunion Arena. :mad:

Old
10-11-2003, 10:07 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Just a point of perspective...everyone here (myself included) has been railing about the deficiencies of Ferguson and Cross, yet they were a combined -1 tonight. The Smith/Staios combo were a combined -5, yet nobody talks about them. If someone just looked at the boxscore and nothing else, they'd wonder about the terrible game Staios had; he was on the ice for every Canuck goal. It just goes to show how stats rarely tell the whole story.

Lowetide was on the right track...the Oilers came into GM Place and played like they didn't expect to win. It felt like we were watching a game against the Stars at Reunion Arena. :mad:
How can Smith+Staios be -5 and Cross+ Ferguson -1
when we have only had 5 goals scored on us in two games?

Old
10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Oilers Hockey

Tell me about it. The Oilers got outplayed in every facet of the game tonight, shots, faceoffs, battles along the boards and the middle, defense, offense, goaltending, and I feel a speedy young team can easily exploit the Canucks weaknesses (ie. Minnesota) but the Oilers just didn't care about the game tonight. It was like watching the Canucks vs the Roadrunners. I am not pessimistic about this season already, but this was a game we needed to win! Man I am so mad right now.

It was REALLY apparent during this game how big the holes in the Oilers defence is, and how soft the Oilers are. The most physical player was Smith, and Lowe signed some big guys that need to hit WAY more often. Laraque looked like a big fat zero out there.

The only Oiler who seemed to truly be into the game was Smyth. Sorry, but I am so disgusted right now I just don't know what to say.

The Oilers didn't even play like an 8th seed tonight, they played worse than basement dwellers! The only positive I can take from this game is the penalty kill.

I look forward to better game against the Flames.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Tell me about it. The Oilers got outplayed in every facet of the game tonight, shots, faceoffs, battles along the boards and the middle, defense, offense, goaltending, and I feel a speedy young team can easily exploit the Canucks weaknesses (ie. Minnesota) but the Oilers just didn't care about the game tonight. It was like watching the Canucks vs the Roadrunners. I am not pessimistic about this season already, but this was a game we needed to win! Man I am so mad right now.

It was REALLY apparent during this game how big the holes in the Oilers defence is, and how soft the Oilers are. The most physical player was Smith, and Lowe signed some big guys that need to hit WAY more often. Laraque looked like a big fat zero out there.

The only Oiler who seemed to truly be into the game was Smyth. Sorry, but I am so disgusted right now I just don't know what to say.

The Oilers didn't even play like an 8th seed tonight, they played worse than basement dwellers! The only positive I can take from this game is the penalty kill.

I look forward to better game against the Flames.
Your post shows what the problem is with Oilers fans. They expect too much from the team. The Oilers won more faceoffs than the Canucks. They were 53% and the Canucks were 47%. Ryan Smyth was 76% on faceoffs and won 4 of his 10 faceoffs against Trevor Linden. It's only two games and fans are already giving up on the season. Sheesh. What would fans act like if they were last year's Carolina. Some fans really want something to complain about. It's never ending. No wonder there are rumours that players don't want to come to Edmonton. Edmonton fans are pretty knowlegeable but also pretty negative when the team loses. Heck, there are some fans that are negative win or lose.

10-11-2003, 10:28 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
First... Weird watching the Oilers and not seeing Marchant.

Don't think the Oilers played well this evening, and it's not that big a deal. Things didn't click, and they'll move on.

I was just watching a tape of the game, and on the first goal Cooke should have been called for high sticking, not interference. It looked to me that he was just racing up ice and caught Staios in the face with his stick. Missed call.

Seeing the Oilers play tonight kind of reminded me of the Nucks a couple of years ago. There is talent on the club but it's young and the confidence is all over the place. There are also holes in the roster that get exploited, and then frustrate the team. I wouldn't be blaming the coach or the GM on this... it's a direction they likely felt they needed to go if down the road they are going to be stronger. All the same, very frustrating for the fans.

I thought the Sedins had no trouble playing against the Torque line. All three guys play well in traffic, and don't need speed to compete. They are puck control, and play very good D. Thought they had good chances against which ever line they were against. I think they will be a decent second line this year.

The Canucks have a great third line, and good players, forwards, defense and goalies sitting out. It's the deepest Canucks team I've seen iced.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
How can Smith+Staios be -5 and Cross+ Ferguson -1
when we have only had 5 goals scored on us in two games?
You misunderstood. I meant the combined +/- of Staios/Smyth was -5 for TONIGHT'S game. Same for Fergie/Cross being a combined -1 tonight.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Oilers Hockey

I was wrong about faceoffs. At least theres another positive.

And I don't expect too much from this team, but I expect a solid effort, and if you ask anyone, the Oilers did not even try tonight. I eman, I don't expect them to win the Cup, or even get past the first round, but is putting in a solid effort against a rival team too much to ask?

Old
10-12-2003, 06:45 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'm not quite sure it's the disaster everyone is making it out to be.

Smyth was rather kickass, I thought. The only Oiler who showed up with any emotion, and as a consequence of it got beat down physically, yet persevered. There's not many things that Edmonton can look to Calgary as a role model for, but this is one of them - Give Ryan Smyth the captaincy of the Edmonton Oilers! He will take it and run with it.

Why does Laraque see more time in the slot on the power play than Isbister?

you've got to be kidding!!! thought this was one of the worst games i have ever seen smyth play, and i mean EVER..... watch the game again and look at all those TERRIBLE passes and give-aways adn i think you'll rethink your position on this

and yes... this game was nothing BUT a disaster, dont try and sugarcoat it, this was a horrific loss... sure they will rebound, but that doesnt make this performance any better

Old
10-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Mizral

I thought MA Bergeron was very impressive tonight.

Other than that, I don't have much good to say about the Oilers tonight. Actually, one last thing: I thought the Oilers PK did very well, although perhaps it was a bit risky. From my recolection, most teams that play an aggressive PK against my Canucks end up getting goals scored against them en masse.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:59 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
My Favourite part of the game is when the cbc announcer said "Henrik is having a few words with Larauqe" i just burst out laughing because what a lopsided fight that would of been.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:13 AM
KrazyCanuck19

haha

No matter how boring the game was, it's always great to see the Canucks stomp the Oilers.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:30 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Matt Cooke is a "cheap shot" artist. He injured Brad Stuart, San Jose's top defenseman. In yesterday's game, Matt Cooke got away with a blatant high stick and the Canucks scored. In case you didn't know, Matt Cooke highsticked Staios and he Staios needed eight stiches near the eye.

Closed Thread