HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday Thread:Edmonton @ Vancouver 10/11

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
you've got to be kidding!!! thought this was one of the worst games i have ever seen smyth play, and i mean EVER..... watch the game again and look at all those TERRIBLE passes and give-aways adn i think you'll rethink your position on this

and yes... this game was nothing BUT a disaster, dont try and sugarcoat it, this was a horrific loss... sure they will rebound, but that doesnt make this performance any better
Game 2 of an 82 game schedule is horrific? Relax. They didn't play very well, that was quite obvious. If this team has any pride, they'll rebound. They lost all the games to the nux last year, why did you expect it would be different?

Oilers are a good team that still has a few "issues" to address. In the span of 72 hours we've seen the good and the bad. Although I was upset they lost, I'll be extremely pissed off if they crap their pants against Calgary next game.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:11 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Matt Cooke is a "cheap shot" artist. He injured Brad Stuart, San Jose's top defenseman. In yesterday's game, Matt Cooke got away with a blatant high stick and the Canucks scored. In case you didn't know, Matt Cooke highsticked Staios and he Staios needed eight stiches near the eye.
Absolutely Cooke high sticked Staio in the eye... but I've watched that several times on video, and Staios is coming up behind Cooker who is just careless with his stick. I think you are going in the wrong direction saying Cooke would purposely high stick a player in the eye. It's one thing not to like a player because he finishes his checks, rarely if ever fights while being annoying... but try to be realistic.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Cerebral

Hey now, no reason for us Oiler faithful to jump ship after the second game of the season.. Edmonton can still end up 81-1-0-0

Old
10-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
Absolutely Cooke high sticked Staio in the eye... but I've watched that several times on video, and Staios is coming up behind Cooker who is just careless with his stick. I think you are going in the wrong direction saying Cooke would purposely high stick a player in the eye. It's one thing not to like a player because he finishes his checks, rarely if ever fights while being annoying... but try to be realistic.
I'm not sure if you know this or not but Cooke ended someone's career in college. I'm not sure what exactly happened but the other player is now in a wheelchair. What about kneeing Hamrlik when he was still with Edmonton. What about injuring Brad Stuart of the Sharks in preseason.

10-12-2003, 12:21 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
God read this article

http://www.canucks.com/news/recaps.a...onID=30&id=330

Old
10-12-2003, 12:34 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
you've got to be kidding!!! thought this was one of the worst games i have ever seen smyth play, and i mean EVER..... watch the game again and look at all those TERRIBLE passes and give-aways adn i think you'll rethink your position on this

and yes... this game was nothing BUT a disaster, dont try and sugarcoat it, this was a horrific loss... sure they will rebound, but that doesnt make this performance any better
Take it easy jadeddog. Sometimes I enjoy your banter and I wouldn't want you to have a stroke or anything.

It's the second game of the season. Smyth missed most of pre-season and is still playing, a relatively unfamiliar position, with a broken finger. He won 10 of 13 draws and most of his passes would have connected if his teammates were in position.

This young team lost focus when both refs blew it and we were down 1-0. If the refs make that call, and if the net stayed in place when York shoots over Hedberg's shoulder, we have a one goal game.

And our boys held Vancouver's PP and 2 top lines to zero points.

This was a loss, not a "horrific loss", just a loss with a few lessons to teach. If the team improves because of what they learned from this "performance", it was worth it - imho.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
What a bunch of homers. Just like Millen. The Isbister hit was not a hit from behind. I guess Jovo needs a pair of glasses. And you wonder why people hate the Canucks. Every article I read it's Canucks, Canucks, Canucks. They get more respect than the Avs or Red Wings. What did the Canucks ever do to deserve all this respect including non-calls in yesterday's game. I'd rather cheer for Atlanta before I cheer for the Canucks. The media is going way overboard with the Canucks. I really hate the Canucks.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:43 PM
dem

Hehe
I despise the Canucks. I dont really care that the Oil lost 3-0.... its going to happen plenty of times this season im sure. Losing to the Canucks is what bothers me. They are easily the most annoying group of fans around... even more so than Leaf fans.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:44 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
Talk about painting the picture with a "homer" brush. Spin, spin, and more spin. Oh well. Experience tells me that, "The higher they leap, the harder they fall".

Old
10-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
What a bunch of homers. Just like Millen. The Isbister hit was not a hit from behind. I guess Jovo needs a pair of glasses. And you wonder why people hate the Canucks. Every article I read it's Canucks, Canucks, Canucks. They get more respect than the Avs or Red Wings. What did the Canucks ever do to deserve all this respect including non-calls in yesterday's game. I'd rather cheer for Atlanta before I cheer for the Canucks. The media is going way overboard with the Canucks. I really hate the Canucks.
wow....someones a poor loser. It's canucks.com of course its biased. Imagine if lets say May, or someone hit Smyth like Izzy hit Linden. Both Smyth and Linden mean great deals to the organization, so would you guys expect someone to go after May. Think before you fanatics type.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:57 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
wow....someones a poor loser. It's canucks.com of course its biased. Imagine if lets say May, or someone hit Smyth like Izzy hit Linden. Both Smyth and Linden mean great deals to the organization, so would you guys expect someone to go after May. Think before you fanatics type.
He was just commenting on the obvious "reverence" and "spin". There was nothing said that would warrant being called a "poor loser". I have, however, seen plenty of evidence on this board of "poor winners". Why don't you think before you type, preferably, on your own board.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
He was just commenting on the obvious "reverence" and "spin". There was nothing said that would warrant being called a "poor loser". I have, however, seen plenty of evidence on this board of "poor winners". Why don't you think before you type, preferably, on your own board.

well on our board we dont cry and say "I hate the oilers" just because they are happy they won. Never have I seen so many fans be so angry at their team and they team that beat them, whats all this talk about oil fans being so commited, because it looks like you guys are a bunch of bandwagoners to me. And its not like it was a close game and the oil lost because of a bad call by the refs, you guys lost because we were the better team. Oh and im sorry captain i didnt know was only aloud to voice my oppinion in my teams thread.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know this or not but Cooke ended someone's career in college.
That's pretty serious, considering Cooke never played college hockey. But, I'm very sorry for you imaginary friend who is now in a wheelchair. Give him my best.

Yes, Cooke is a dirty pest. So? It's not like Edmonton has a roster of Lady Byng-contenders.

Linden was hit from behind by Isbister, but he didn't go into the boards headfirst - he took the impact on his shoulder. Whatever, Jovanovski got ejected, I don't see what the big deal is.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:10 PM
momentai

Quote:
well on our board we dont cry and say "I hate the oilers" just because they are happy they won. Never have I seen so many fans be so angry at their team and they team that beat them, whats all this talk about oil fans being so commited, because it looks like you guys are a bunch of bandwagoners to me.
Well sir.. I think what the Oiler fans are most upset about is the lack of effort on behalf of the team last night. No one on here is touting the demise of the Oiler franchise as you have been attempting to imply.

You've never seen posters angry at their own team? Please... are you serious? Even Canucks posters do it on their own board at times so don't give me any of that crap. I guess, though, that when the Canucks do it.. it's constructive criticism, correct? Wonderful.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Linden was hit from behind by Isbister, but he didn't go into the boards headfirst - he took the impact on his shoulder. Whatever, Jovanovski got ejected, I don't see what the big deal is.
It's a difficult call to make because Isbister's hit didn't come from straight behind. He came at an angle and made it borderline instead of blatant. Otherwise, Linden would have definitely had his head smashed upon the boards and it could have been much much worse for him.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I don't see what the big deal is.
Neither do I.

Holy crap people...I was as mad as anyone that the Oilers got rolled for their lunch money last night, but LET'S MOVE ON ALREADY.

The Nucks were the superior team last night, end of story. Sure the Oilers looked like a mediocre AHL squad, but part of the reason for that was the Nucks played a near perfect defensive game. Give them some credit.

Whining about Matt Cooke, Jovanovski, missed calls and whatever else just makes us look like a bunch of calgarycemetary.com regulars. I'd like to think we're better than that.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:35 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Neither do I.

Holy crap people...I was as mad as anyone that the Oilers got rolled for their lunch money last night, but LET'S MOVE ON ALREADY.

The Nucks were the superior team last night, end of story. Sure the Oilers looked like a mediocre AHL squad, but part of the reason for that was the Nucks played a near perfect defensive game. Give them some credit.

Whining about Matt Cooke, Jovanovski, missed calls and whatever else just makes us look like a bunch of calgarycemetary.com regulars. I'd like to think we're better than that.
All true.

Probably the most frustrating thing here is that the Oilers don't seem to hate the Canucks nearly as much as us fans do. How else do you explain them coming out so flat and disinterested? I said before the game, I won't mind if they don't win, but I'll be disappointed if they don't play intense and aggressive- and they sure didn't.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:43 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
I have to agree that this article is waaaay over the top, but enough with the sour grapes. You're pissed because your team lost, and that's a good enough reason to be pissed! NO need to shovel on the manure about the Canucks getting more respect than teams like the Avs or the Wings, because they don't.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
I have to agree that this article is waaaay over the top, but enough with the sour grapes. You're pissed because your team lost, and that's a good enough reason to be pissed! NO need to shovel on the manure about the Canucks getting more respect than teams like the Avs or the Wings, because they don't.
Sports Forecaster predicts the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. So do Kelly Hrudy, Harry Neale and I'm not sure not how many others but they do get more respect than the Avs and Red Wings.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:49 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
well on our board we dont cry and say "I hate the oilers" just because they are happy they won. Never have I seen so many fans be so angry at their team and they team that beat them, whats all this talk about oil fans being so commited, because it looks like you guys are a bunch of bandwagoners to me. And its not like it was a close game and the oil lost because of a bad call by the refs, you guys lost because we were the better team. Oh and im sorry captain i didnt know was only aloud to voice my oppinion in my teams thread.
Fans can love or hate which ever teams they wish. That doesn't make them "poor losers". An Oiler fan should be allowed to post their opinions on an Oiler board without worrying if it's going to hurt a Canucks (or any other team) fan's feelings.

I don't care what "it looks like" to you. You've already proven that you don't contribute meaningful dialogue. Trolling the losing team's board doesn't add to your credibility either.

btw - I didn't say that you aren't allowed to post on this board. Just that I would prefer that you post on your board.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Well sir.. I think what the Oiler fans are most upset about is the lack of effort on behalf of the team last night. No one on here is touting the demise of the Oiler franchise as you have been attempting to imply.

You've never seen posters angry at their own team? Please... are you serious? Even Canucks posters do it on their own board at times so don't give me any of that crap. I guess, though, that when the Canucks do it.. it's constructive criticism, correct? Wonderful.

your right. But usually when my team loses i blame my team (nux) for lack of effort or the other team (because they beat the nux ) Its just strange listening to fans go "Oilers sucked tonight, but canucks are just a bunch of losers" Believe me I like the oilers and im not trying to say anything bad about a wonderful org. But some posters on here are acting like sore losers. Saying you hate the canucks because of some biased media is just plain idiotic, because if it were that way I would hate every team.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Fans can love or hate which ever teams they wish. That doesn't make them "poor losers". An Oiler fan should be allowed to post their opinions on an Oiler board without worrying if it's going to hurt a Canucks (or any other team) fan's feelings.

I don't care what "it looks like" to you. You've already proven that you don't contribute meaningful dialogue. Trolling the losing teams board doesn't add to your credibility either.

btw - I didn't say that you aren't allowed to post on this board. Just that I would prefer that you post on your board.

trolling am I, arnt you the sparatic one that said you hated the canucks so much because we have a biased media. Dont catagorize canuck fans for having homers in media, all teams have them ex. Greg Millan. I know I might have gone a little over-board calling oiler fans band-wagoners but are you telling me some oiler fans didnt go over board on the canucks and their media. And who havnt I proven that too, I guess your oppinion on a matter is the only one that counts. But this is a hockey thread so instead of scwabbling about stupid things lets get along

Old
10-12-2003, 02:58 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
trolling am I, arnt you the sparatic one that said you hated the canucks so much because we have a biased media. Dont catagorize canuck fans for having homers in media, all teams have them ex. Greg Millan.
I think you have me confused with someone else. Altho I'm not sure what you mean by "sparatic", I have never said that I hated the Canucks. If someone else does, then that's their opinion and they are entitled to it.

As for my comment regarding the article presented;
Quote:
Talk about painting the picture with a "homer" brush. Spin, spin, and more spin. Oh well. Experience tells me that, "The higher they leap, the harder they fall".
there's nothing inappropriate there.

Quote:
I know I might have gone a little over-board calling oiler fans band-wagoners but are you telling me some oiler fans didnt go over board on the canucks and their media.
I suggested to you that you should take some of your own medicine. "Think before you type." It is in the nature of fans to get too high and too low. As long as it is done on our own boards, no harm done. If the "canucks and their media" comments were made on the Canucks board, I would fully expect the posters to be figuratively drawn and quartered by Canucks fans. If you escape unscathed because of your "band-wagoners" comments here, consider yourself lucky, this time.

Quote:
And who havnt I proven that too, I guess your oppinion on a matter is the only one that counts. But this is a hockey thread so instead of scwabbling about stupid things lets get along
All you've proven to me, is that you can be antagonistic. My opinion counts to me and I have no control over what you guess.

If you really want to get along, then I would suggest that you show the same respect on this board that I would show on the Canucks board. If you do, we'll get along just fine.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Oilers Hockey

You're telling me about "Poor winners" I got a private message from a Cancuk fan (you know who you are) and if you ever send me a trolling message again I'll have get Miz to give you a stern talking-to.

Maybe we should have our own "Do Not Feed The Trolls" thread, because they'res alot of them.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
your right. But usually when my team loses i blame my team (nux) for lack of effort or the other team (because they beat the nux ) Its just strange listening to fans go "Oilers sucked tonight, but canucks are just a bunch of losers" Believe me I like the oilers and im not trying to say anything bad about a wonderful org. But some posters on here are acting like sore losers. Saying you hate the canucks because of some biased media is just plain idiotic, because if it were that way I would hate every team.

hmm.....that sounds respectful to me. Listen if you came to the nux board if your team had won, and saw some of the post dissing the oil like I saw dissing the nux you would not say the same thing I did, which I dont think was that bad in the first place. But like I said lets just agree to dis-agree and things shall be better

Closed Thread