HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gameday Thread:Edmonton @ Vancouver 10/11

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2003, 03:17 PM
  #201
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Thanks! I too am not bashing the Nucks, ***sorry if what I wrote earlier can be considered "bashing" but that was in response to the Nuck trolls who flooded this Oiler board, and in fact Mizral is my fave Nuck poster***they deserve to win, and they deserve all the credit, they play like they wanted to win. What I was mad about was the lack of effort by the Oilers. I know GM PLace is a loud and intimidating building but they are proffessional, they are supposed to wrk through that. It's just really frustrating.

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 03:26 PM
  #202
Canucks-R-best
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Thanks! I too am not bashing the Nucks, ***sorry if what I wrote earlier can be considered "bashing" but that was in response to the Nuck trolls who flooded this Oiler board, and in fact Mizral is my fave Nuck poster***they deserve to win, and they deserve all the credit, they play like they wanted to win. What I was mad about was the lack of effort by the Oilers. I know GM PLace is a loud and intimidating building but they are proffessional, they are supposed to wrk through that. It's just really frustrating.
im not sure if your talking to me but, why am I not your fav. poster? j/k. But its okay to get intense about your team, no one is calling you out on that. But just dont catagorize fans and players because we have homers in media.

Canucks-R-best is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 04:07 PM
  #203
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
hmm.....that sounds respectful to me. Listen if you came to the nux board if your team had won, and saw some of the post dissing the oil like I saw dissing the nux you would not say the same thing I did, which I dont think was that bad in the first place. But like I said lets just agree to dis-agree and things shall be better
And from your previous post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
But this is a hockey thread so instead of scwabbling about stupid things lets get along
Hmmm... First you completely disregard the fact that I was not "dissing" the Canucks. Then you feel the need to try and get one more dig in, by finding the one comment where you finally showed a modicum of respect for the team. I could care less what you think of the team. This board is for Oilers fans, and they are the hosts that deserve your respect when you visit, whether you agree with them or not.

I don't need to see someone else's agony to feel better about myself, so I don't visit losing teams' boards. If I did, I would try to understand that they would be very unhappy, maybe grasping at straws for reasons why, and maybe saying things that they normally wouldn't. You are right about one thing. (albeit unintentionally) I certainly would not jump in and call them "poor losers". That's just rubbing their noses in it. And that, sir, is what "poor winners" do.

You obviously didn't mean it when you said that you wanted to "get along", or even that you want to "agree to dis-agree". If you did, you wouldn't have picked thru my post, looking for something that you could try to attack. Why don't you go home and bask in the glory of your winning team.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 05:35 PM
  #204
Canucks-R-best
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
And from your previous post...Hmmm... First you completely disregard the fact that I was not "dissing" the Canucks. Then you feel the need to try and get one more dig in, by finding the one comment where you finally showed a modicum of respect for the team. I could care less what you think of the team. This board is for Oilers fans, and they are the hosts that deserve your respect when you visit, whether you agree with them or not.

I don't need to see someone else's agony to feel better about myself, so I don't visit losing teams' boards. If I did, I would try to understand that they would be very unhappy, maybe grasping at straws for reasons why, and maybe saying things that they normally wouldn't. You are right about one thing. (albeit unintentionally) I certainly would not jump in and call them "poor losers". That's just rubbing their noses in it. And that, sir, is what "poor winners" do.

You obviously didn't mean it when you said that you wanted to "get along", or even that you want to "agree to dis-agree". If you did, you wouldn't have picked thru my post, looking for something that you could try to attack. Why don't you go home and bask in the glory of your winning team.

Okay dude your right im wrong...whatever will make you feel better about yourself, the reason im in the oilers thread is because i like them. Please move on with your life, lets start talking hockey

Canucks-R-best is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:33 PM
  #205
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Some thoughts on the Oilers, although it was probably a pretty bad game to get a read on any of the Oilers, as very few seemed to show up-in fact in the 3rd I could have sworn I saw 2 Oilers peel off for a line change very lazily in the midst of a 3 on 1. Very sad effort. At any rate:

-not to do with Oilers, but I am pretty sick of hearing all Canuck fans blanketed into classless fans because of a riot 9 years ago. Very ignorant...
-why for the love of all things sacred about hockey is Cory f***in Cross on the PP? Thats almost worse than if Crow started playing Baron on the PP-absolutely moronic beyond all belief, and completely reaffirms my lack of faith in MacT-not a good coach.
-aside from last years playoffs, this is the first game I have seen Hemsky in where he disappointed me-not a big deal, just one game-but man he was useless out there, and skating with his head down at times as well.
-gotta say I thought the Isbister hit was dirty...it might not have been 100% from behind-but there was no way Linden saw it coming, and he had his head down facing the boards for a full 2 seconds before Isbister slammed him into the boards. The end result was fairly tame, but it is still the type of hit that really needs to not happen in hockey. He fought Jovo though, so I give him credit-although he did get his arse handed to him in a landslide.
-I like Bergeron-but am still not sold on him being an every day d-man. Better than most of the offensive flunkies they've tried on the point though-why isn't Hemsky QBing the PP? He easily sees the ice the best of all Oiler players...
-Pisani has taken a nose dive in terms of his overall play from last season-I'd be surprised if he is a regular all season.
-Torres was downright awful...
-Smyth looks a little uncomfortable at C-but he sure did well on face-offs (PS-Linden is not a natural C-he is normally good on draws though)
-Brewer seems to be regressing from his Olympics appearance. Still a solid d-man, no question there-but not showing much progress-again, only one game though...
-Reasoner was very effective I thought, but his linemates were junk...
-is York always that bad at C?
-paging the Dvorak that showed up after the trade-any time you want to start skating again would help the Oilers a lot...
-Salo's puckhandling actually impressed me a bit-good decisions back there, much better than the playoffs last season...
-was Semenov really that bad in preseason that he deserves a scratch against a team with big, fast, punishing forwards?
-Staois is one tough customer-I admit I hated him as a Canuck-he blew the big one-but you gotta love how he has turned it around for the Oilers-very solid, nasty at times d-man.

I hope the refs let the Canucks/Oilers play next time-although both teams were taking some lazy penalties...I'm sure the next game the Oilers will be pumped up big time-and we will see a fast paced exciting game again-what we expect from Oil-Nuck games

Waveburner is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:34 PM
  #206
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
-gotta say I thought the Isbister hit was dirty...it might not have been 100% from behind-but there was no way Linden saw it coming, and he had his head down facing the boards for a full 2 seconds before Isbister slammed him into the boards. The end result was fairly tame, but it is still the type of hit that really needs to not happen in hockey. He fought Jovo though, so I give him credit-although he did get his arse handed to him in a landslide.
Linden wasn't facing the boards at all, he was facing exactly north/south. Who cares if he saw it coming, that's not a pre-requisite. The only problem was that after he took a swipe at the puck and missed he was bent over. Izzy got him from the side 100% but he didn't hit him all out, and Jovo reacted like a total punk. It was really manly of him to go after a guy with 17 stitches in his face less than 24 hours after he had dental surgery.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:01 PM
  #207
Canucks-R-best
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Linden wasn't facing the boards at all, he was facing exactly north/south. Who cares if he saw it coming, that's not a pre-requisite. The only problem was that after he took a swipe at the puck and missed he was bent over. Izzy got him from the side 100% but he didn't hit him all out, and Jovo reacted like a total punk. It was really manly of him to go after a guy with 17 stitches in his face less than 24 hours after he had dental surgery.

so I guess you know more than all the hockey analysts that said it was a cheap hit?

Canucks-R-best is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:08 PM
  #208
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
so I guess you know more than all the hockey analysts that said it was a cheap hit?
Millen is an idiot. I wonder about the media sometimes. There have been a lot worse hits than that and they have been called clean.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:10 PM
  #209
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Linden wasn't facing the boards at all, he was facing exactly north/south. Who cares if he saw it coming, that's not a pre-requisite. The only problem was that after he took a swipe at the puck and missed he was bent over. Izzy got him from the side 100% but he didn't hit him all out, and Jovo reacted like a total punk. It was really manly of him to go after a guy with 17 stitches in his face less than 24 hours after he had dental surgery.
I wonder if you are really thinking about what you're writing here...


First, it's probably very likely that the hit looked a lot worse from where jovo was on the ice, and so should be judged by that, not the 3 different angles we have on replay.

I'm absolutely certain that Jovo didn't wonder who ran Linden before he decided to go after him. Do I know that for certain? Of course not! But Jovo has a mean streak and isn't known to be a coward. You seem to be suggesting that the only reason Jovo jumped Izzy was because he was injured...with a substantial cut on his face? I'm sorry but that's just way too weak to believe. And how is that exactly supposed to stop Izzy from pounding Jovo anyway? Was he planning on punching him out with his face?

Let's say it was Cooke or Arvedson or May boarding Smyth when he was on his knees facing into the boards. I have to suspect that you would be applauding if any one of the Oilers went and smacked around the CAnuck player. And rightfully so. Boarding hits really are dangerous, even if this one didn't turn out to be so bad.

The most bizarre thing of all, is the Oilers benifited from having Jovo ejected from the game!

I'm sure there are lot's of valid things to complain about in a season, but this one just doesn't cut it at all.

quat is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:11 PM
  #210
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Linden wasn't facing the boards at all, he was facing exactly north/south. Who cares if he saw it coming, that's not a pre-requisite. The only problem was that after he took a swipe at the puck and missed he was bent over. Izzy got him from the side 100% but he didn't hit him all out, and Jovo reacted like a total punk. It was really manly of him to go after a guy with 17 stitches in his face less than 24 hours after he had dental surgery.
I disagree, Linden was facing the boards, or at least 90% of his body was...like I said, not a 100% hit exactly from behind, but it was dirty nonetheless, and I didn't see one replay that would make me think otherwise. Linden was in a precarious position, and Isbister still finished the hit. That is a dirty play IMO. I am not calling Isbister a dirty player by any means, but hit was a little dirty.

I'm sorry about his dental records, but honestly, who actually thinks Jovo reads injury reports? Thats assinine to think Jovo knew anything about that. And honestly, its pure excuse making. Jovo pumelled him. It happens to the best of fighters. No need to try and cover up for Isbister. It happens. You just look foolish by manipulating facts that have nothing to do with anything. Jovo saw a what he believed was a dirty hit on a teammate. He went right after Isbister. It is 100% obvious that Jovo was sticking up for a teammate. If you cannot see that, I would say you are quite the Oilers homer.

Waveburner is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:14 PM
  #211
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Millen is an idiot. I wonder about the media sometimes. There have been a lot worse hits than that and they have been called clean.
I agree Millen is an idiot, but there is no way that was a clean hit. And if you've seen worse hits than that and you're calling them clean then you seem to know much about rules on boarding.

Jovo also admitted that the hit "looked bad" after the game. I take that to mean perhaps he thought it wasn't as bad as he originally took it to be. But there was a ref right there, and he called what he saw, and it was boarding. Would you honestly have been happier if Linden was injured on the play?

quat is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:15 PM
  #212
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
I disagree, Linden was facing the boards, or at least 90% of his body was...like I said, not a 100% hit exactly from behind, but it was dirty nonetheless, and I didn't see one replay that would make me think otherwise. Linden was in a precarious position, and Isbister still finished the hit. That is a dirty play IMO. I am not calling Isbister a dirty player by any means, but hit was a little dirty.

I'm sorry about his dental records, but honestly, who actually thinks Jovo reads injury reports? Thats assinine to think Jovo knew anything about that. And honestly, its pure excuse making. Jovo pumelled him. It happens to the best of fighters. No need to try and cover up for Isbister. It happens. You just look foolish by manipulating facts that have nothing to do with anything. Jovo saw a what he believed was a dirty hit on a teammate. He went right after Isbister. It is 100% obvious that Jovo was sticking up for a teammate. If you cannot see that, I would say you are quite the Oilers homer.
This is not homer. It's the fact that Jovo has already injured someone who's career might be over. Remember Deadmarsh. Don't pain Jovo as an angel. It seems like any Oilers player hits someone, it's a dirty hit but if an Oiler player gets hit, it's a clean hit. Double standard here I believe.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:16 PM
  #213
Canucks-R-best
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
This is not homer. It's the fact that Jovo has already injured someone who's career might be over. Remember Deadmarsh. Don't pain Jovo as an angel. It seems like any Oilers player hits someone, it's a dirty hit but if an Oiler player gets hit, it's a clean hit. Double standard here I believe.

would you like a tissue? He injured deadmarsh in a fight adam instigated. No it was a cheap hit no matter what team did it

Canucks-R-best is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:17 PM
  #214
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
I agree Millen is an idiot, but there is no way that was a clean hit. And if you've seen worse hits than that and you're calling them clean then you seem to know much about rules on boarding.

Jovo also admitted that the hit "looked bad" after the game. I take that to mean perhaps he thought it wasn't as bad as he originally took it to be. But there was a ref right there, and he called what he saw, and it was boarding. Would you honestly have been happier if Linden was injured on the play?
The refs miss a lot and players do get injured with no calls. The Oilers had a player go down with a concussion in preseason against the Flames and there was no call. They happen all the time and a lot dirtier too.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:19 PM
  #215
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
This is not homer. It's the fact that Jovo has already injured someone who's career might be over. Remember Deadmarsh. Don't pain Jovo as an angel. It seems like any Oilers player hits someone, it's a dirty hit but if an Oiler player gets hit, it's a clean hit. Double standard here I believe.
Way to make a broad generalization to support a ludicrous claim. Very persuasive.

Have you watched hockey games? Have you seen players stick up for each other before? This is NOT a complicated issue...

Waveburner is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:21 PM
  #216
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
This is not homer. It's the fact that Jovo has already injured someone who's career might be over. Remember Deadmarsh. Don't pain Jovo as an angel. It seems like any Oilers player hits someone, it's a dirty hit but if an Oiler player gets hit, it's a clean hit. Double standard here I believe.
Now what are you talking about? Who mentioned anything about an Oilers player hitting someone?

The only double standard seems to be the one you are using.

AS for the Deadmarsh incident... in the first fight, Deader was majorly unlucky, as Jovo had his head down and was just swinging away. He skated right into the punch and it was over. I dont' know what happened on the second fight, and have only heard about it second hand, so someone else will have to answer that one.

You seem to want to paint the Canucks as a bunch of violent dirty goons. Well you can certainly convince yourself of that, but I doubt anyone else is going to be fooled.

quat is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:23 PM
  #217
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
I disagree, Linden was facing the boards, or at least 90% of his body was...like I said, not a 100% hit exactly from behind, but it was dirty nonetheless, and I didn't see one replay that would make me think otherwise. Linden was in a precarious position, and Isbister still finished the hit. That is a dirty play IMO. I am not calling Isbister a dirty player by any means, but hit was a little dirty.
The hit wouldn't be what I would call clean but it was more borderline than blatant IMO. The fact is that Isbister could have made the hit a definite hit from behind had he wanted to and Linden would have on the ice with at least a concussion. Instead Isbister came up from behind and tried to get him with the shoulder.... which incidentally came at a sharp angle.

Honestly, though. Who the freak cares at this point? It's over and done with already. Please let's just move along now.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:25 PM
  #218
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
The refs miss a lot and players do get injured with no calls. The Oilers had a player go down with a concussion in preseason against the Flames and there was no call. They happen all the time and a lot dirtier too.

Sorry, but are you saying the Izzy it was ok because worse hits get missed? That doesn't make much sense to me.

quat is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:26 PM
  #219
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
The hit wouldn't be what I would call clean but it was more borderline than blatant IMO. The fact is that Isbister could have made the hit a definite hit from behind had he wanted to and Linden would have on the ice with at least a concussion. Instead Isbister came up from behind and tried to get him with the shoulder.... which incidentally came at a sharp angle.

Honestly, though. Who the freak cares at this point? It's over and done with already. Please let's just move along now.
Agreed. I didn't really think it was an issue. Whether it was actually dirty or not, it is clear what the end result was. Lets just look forward to the next Oilers-Canucks game, and hope its alot more entertaining than this game was

Waveburner is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:29 PM
  #220
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
The hit wouldn't be what I would call clean but it was more borderline than blatant IMO. The fact is that Isbister could have made the hit a definite hit from behind had he wanted to and Linden would have on the ice with at least a concussion. Instead Isbister came up from behind and tried to get him with the shoulder.... which incidentally came at a sharp angle.

Honestly, though. Who the freak cares at this point? It's over and done with already. Please let's just move along now.
Sorry, I was just putting my two cents in on a prior comment. Let's hope the future games are more exciting, but as a Canucks fan, I must admit I enjoy the two points.

quat is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:31 PM
  #221
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
It's not really a big problem but the game's been over for more than a day now. There's plenty of others things to discuss, right? Oh well... either way you guys are padding the Oiler board post count.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:32 PM
  #222
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500

Digger12 is online now  
Old
10-12-2003, 10:37 PM
  #223
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
LOL

Can you tell I'm trying to avoid finishing off a painting? Just after 12:30 and I still haven't got to it... oh well... back to Q3 :p

quat is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 05:27 AM
  #224
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
IMO the stupidity Chimera displayed was worse than Isbisters.

Isbister at least made an attempt to get to the side of Linden, Chimera just charged into the zone and threw a crosscheck right in the back.

Good decision on the power play there Jason.

Aside from that, Horcoff and York made some of the dumbest decisions out there.

I mean, how does York let someone he up-ended in the neutral zone beat him to the front of the net? And when York gets out-hussled by Jiri Slegr of all people...

Come on now. I guarantee if either of those were by Comrie, there would be a B***H fest going on.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 08:00 AM
  #225
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
Let's say it was Cooke or Arvedson or May boarding Smyth when he was on his knees facing into the boards. I have to suspect that you would be applauding if any one of the Oilers went and smacked around the CAnuck player. And rightfully so.
What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Linden wasn't on his knees or facing the boards quat. His shoulder hit the boards square on, get your facts straight.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.