HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Best Player In the OHL

Old
11-10-2005, 11:17 AM
rigger

vCash: 500
Best Player In the OHL

From a guy out west I can follow the WHL a little but don't hear a lot from the east. Who would you say are the top players in the OHL. I can look at the score sheets and make my own conclusions but I want to know impact player, go to guy, motivational player. An early season MVP. I hear a lot about Schremp and Bolland, I am thinking B. Ryan is a stud too. Who do you guys that watch OHL action regularly think is the best player today in the league. Thanks.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
thomasincanada

Add Pouliot to that list and I think you have a pretty good list of many of the best players. As for the best? Tough to say... Schremp or Ryan IMO. Ryan is more balanced, but Schremp is incredibly dominant right now on the PP.

Being a London fan I don't get to see the Eastern Conference nearly as much, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt ( a little bit of London/Western Conference homerism in it ).

Overall I definately feel the league is weaker this year, talentwise, with no lockout and all.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Brock

I think it has to be either Schremp or Ryan. A case could be made for either.

Then you have a second tier which could include guys like Bolland, Pouliot, Marc Staal, Evan Mcgrath, etc.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
FearTheFlyers

I know you will all be surprised but I think it's Bobby Ryan. No offence to Schremp, who has been absolutely amazing so far, but I think Ryan just bring so many more dimensions to the game like his physical play, superb playmaking and defensive abilities.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
thomasincanada

Doesn't bode all that well for our World Junior Team when the two top players in the O are American.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 04:48 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
I know you will all be surprised but I think it's Bobby Ryan. No offence to Schremp, who has been absolutely amazing so far, but I think Ryan just bring so many more dimensions to the game like his physical play, superb playmaking and defensive abilities.
I agree completely. Schremp is a very, very good offensive player, but Ryan is a complete player - there isn't a weakness in his game that I've seen. I'm hoping to spot one Friday night though!

(yeah, yeah, I know..... Ryan has been a Ranger killer since pretty much day 1)

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 06:25 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
I agree completely. Schremp is a very, very good offensive player, but Ryan is a complete player - there isn't a weakness in his game that I've seen. I'm hoping to spot one Friday night though!

(yeah, yeah, I know..... Ryan has been a Ranger killer since pretty much day 1)
Blame Hesh for jumping him first time they played.

Old
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
stugotz

You have to look at guys like McGrath, he seems to be a solid two way player for Kitchener and has been great for them night in and out. I would also look at Bobby Ryan, But these players are on teams that are some what struggling (especially Kitchener) so I couldnt name them MVP's. Look to the teams that are succeding as their best players are. Teams Like London, who have Bolland, Schremp tearing it up, but dont deserve the MVP's. Peterborough with Ryder, Barrie with Little. and the team of D'agustini and Wilson in Guelph is doing great. So it can go anywhere right now, I think it depends on how the teams do, more than individual success.

stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz
You have to look at guys like McGrath, he seems to be a solid two way player for Kitchener and has been great for them night in and out. I would also look at Bobby Ryan, But these players are on teams that are some what struggling (especially Kitchener) so I couldnt name them MVP's. Look to the teams that are succeding as their best players are. Teams Like London, who have Bolland, Schremp tearing it up, but dont deserve the MVP's. Peterborough with Ryder, Barrie with Little. and the team of D'agustini and Wilson in Guelph is doing great. So it can go anywhere right now, I think it depends on how the teams do, more than individual success.
Callahan in Guelph deserves honourable mention too (he's been Guelph's MVP to this point in the year)

Old
11-10-2005, 08:15 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
The question wasn't MVP, it was best player.

Callahan is a worthy candidate for both though.

Old
11-10-2005, 09:33 PM
nesbit_21

since he came back to the "O" it would be hard to argue against Schremp IMO...his numbers speak for themselves, he is proving to be if not the best PLAYER, certainly the best TALENT in the league.

nesbit_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 03:10 AM
stugotz

Quote:
The question wasn't MVP, it was best player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
I want to know impact player, go to guy, motivational player. An early season MVP.
Actually he did say MVP

stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 06:43 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Actually he did say MVP
Ok, sorry.

I stil say Ryan, this team would be a joke without him.

Old
11-11-2005, 09:19 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
I stil say Ryan, this team would be a joke without him.
The scariest thing about Ryan is that he can come back next year too.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
majorattackfan

he can but its very unlikely. He would be amazing if he did come back to play for another year.

majorattackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Here in Kingston there's a quite a few good players out here, Radek Smolenak is very underrated here very quietly came to Kingston as an import and scored 32 goals, is definately a top player in the league, and Cory Emmerton has potential to be one of the best players in the O he leads the Fronts in scoring this year.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
trahans99

I agree that its either Schremp or Ryan for best player.

IMO the best player right now is Schremp, but most potential is definately Ryan.

Schremp has just been on an incredible tear and since he's been back from Edmonton there 11-1 or something like that (even though alot of credit is due to Bolland, Hunter and Dennis).

Also tothe poster that mentioned Ryan has no flaws, how is his skating this year? In the past that was his 1 major flaw but I haven'tseen him to see any improvement.

trahans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99

Also tothe poster that mentioned Ryan has no flaws, how is his skating this year? In the past that was his 1 major flaw but I haven'tseen him to see any improvement.
A lot. It's no longer really noticeable.

Old
11-13-2005, 09:32 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
A lot. It's no longer really noticeable.
You're right... it wasn't until the 3rd period that I even remembered that he used to have issues with his skating.

I made a point of really watching him - he'll never be a top skater, but he's come a long way and it doesn't hamper his game in the least.

Old
11-13-2005, 09:40 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
You're right... it wasn't until the 3rd period that I even remembered that he used to have issues with his skating.

I made a point of really watching him - he'll never be a top skater, but he's come a long way and it doesn't hamper his game in the least.
You guys ended his points streak.

Old
11-13-2005, 01:15 PM
MetalMilitia

In my opinion, Bobby Ryan is the best player in the OHL. I am from Owen Sound so I will try and make my post as unbiased as possible. Rob Schremp is a scorer and Bobby Ryan is a playmaker. Everyone knows that having a playmaker on your team is better than a scorer because although scorers do rack up the goals, Playmakers make everyone playing with them better. For instance, Jeff Kryzakos and Mike Angelias were both seen as grinders before this year, now they are in the top 13 in OHL scoring. Why? Because of Bobby Ryan ofcourse.Robbie Schemp is lighting it up on the London PP, but how good is he at even strength? Not as good as Bobby. Basically, I would take Ryan over Schremp any day. Bobby is younger by one year, he is bigger and stronger, he has incredible potential, he has fantastic hands, great vision and plays well on the PP. Scremp has a good shot when he can hit the net, he is quick and also plays well on the PP. If you are comparing stats for these two highly skilled Americans, Schremp may have more points in less games, but look at the Knights. Schremp has Bolland and Hunter, Bobby has.......Bobby.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 10:54 AM
rigger

Quote:

Neither is Bill Guerin but I would still take him on my team.

Old
11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfan33
In my opinion, Bobby Ryan is the best player in the OHL. I am from Owen Sound so I will try and make my post as unbiased as possible. Rob Schremp is a scorer and Bobby Ryan is a playmaker. Everyone knows that having a playmaker on your team is better than a scorer because although scorers do rack up the goals, Playmakers make everyone playing with them better. For instance, Jeff Kryzakos and Mike Angelias were both seen as grinders before this year, now they are in the top 13 in OHL scoring. Why? Because of Bobby Ryan ofcourse.Robbie Schemp is lighting it up on the London PP, but how good is he at even strength? Not as good as Bobby. Basically, I would take Ryan over Schremp any day. Bobby is younger by one year, he is bigger and stronger, he has incredible potential, he has fantastic hands, great vision and plays well on the PP. Scremp has a good shot when he can hit the net, he is quick and also plays well on the PP. If you are comparing stats for these two highly skilled Americans, Schremp may have more points in less games, but look at the Knights. Schremp has Bolland and Hunter, Bobby has.......Bobby.

This is what I was thinking going starting this thread. Schremp is a pure goal scorer with great finish. He is the guy the play should be centered around. In edmonton we have Hemsky as that play maker so they could end up being a very very good combo. I always thought that Ryan is like I mentioned in my last post more of a Bill Guerin/Joe Thorton kind of player. More of a Thorton player but plays with Guerins emotion and grit. Is that a fair evaluation of him, I have seen very little of him.

Old
11-16-2005, 02:01 PM
superjonathan

Quote:
Neither is Bill Guerin but I would still take him on my team.
i hope you realize that she was paying ryan a compliment on his improved skating ability.

i agree that ryan and schremp are probably the two best but i'll say bryan little is the best just to add a dissenting opinion to the thread.

also i think wolski deserves some mention. he, unlike schremp or ryan, was able to stick with his big club out of training camp. he's been pretty awesome since he's been back (living in brampton temporarily, i've seen him 5 or 6 times since his return). he was at least as good as ryan in owen sound's trip here a couple fridays ago. they (ryan and wolski) were the first two shooters in the shootout and both were spectacular. they both had the goalies diving to the opposite side of the net. it was crazy. it was the first and only shootout i've seen so far this year in maybe 10 or 12 games. anyone else seen any good shootouts in the O so far this season?

Last edited by superjonathan: 11-16-2005 at 02:12 PM.
superjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
This is what I was thinking going starting this thread. Schremp is a pure goal scorer with great finish. He is the guy the play should be centered around. In edmonton we have Hemsky as that play maker so they could end up being a very very good combo. I always thought that Ryan is like I mentioned in my last post more of a Bill Guerin/Joe Thorton kind of player. More of a Thorton player but plays with Guerins emotion and grit. Is that a fair evaluation of him, I have seen very little of him.

He reminds me of Forsberg personally.