Best Player In the OHL

Old
03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
No no, let's discuss Valabik. He's my favourite!
You and I could probably have a really good discussion... key word being discussion!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2006, 09:03 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Extremely chippy play. Cheap shots galore. Whines CONSTANTLY to the refs (watch closely and see if it isn't true). Takes the most sissy dives I have ever seen a player his size take. Somebody lays a good clean hard check on him and he retaliates in the most undisciplined ways.
That sounds like a pretty good description of someone who used to play in this league.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
That sounds like a pretty good description of someone who used to play in this league.
Brad Richardson?

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
superjonathan

not to dehyjack this thread but the eastern conference coaches poll results were released today. bryan little made a good case for himself as the best player in half of the OHL.

link.

superjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
Brad Richardson?
Now does that sound like Brad to you?

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2006, 04:48 PM
skerbud

Callahan has some talent , dont get me wrong, but he is also the biggest whinner and driver I have seen in a long time. I think you need to look at the whole picture. Sure a good player but at what costs.

skerbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerbud
Callahan has some talent , dont get me wrong, but he is also the biggest whinner and driver I have seen in a long time. I think you need to look at the whole picture. Sure a good player but at what costs.
I'll never understand why people confuse the rights of a captain with a whiner.

He never opened his mouth before he was given the C. He's the captain, he has every right to talk to the ref. He whines no more than any other player in the league. In fact, he's taken to laughing this year instead of talking. A bad call comes his way, or a player get's in his face, he laughs it off. You know, having fun?

I've never seen him drive though, what kind of car does he have?

What "cost" is there to having Ryan Callahan on your team? A ton of goals, work ethic, speed, toughness, leadership, am I missing something? Has he ever been called for a diving penalty? Only once have I ever seen him get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (whining as you would say) and it can be attributed to a trigger happy ref who wouldn't listen to a legitimate argument about the location of a faceoff. I don't get what you're trying to say.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

Well . .

Quote:
I'll never understand why people confuse the rights of a captain with a whiner.

He never opened his mouth before he was given the C. He's the captain, he has every right to talk to the ref. He whines no more than any other player in the league. In fact, he's taken to laughing this year instead of talking. A bad call comes his way, or a player get's in his face, he laughs it off. You know, having fun?

I've never seen him drive though, what kind of car does he have?

What "cost" is there to having Ryan Callahan on your team? A ton of goals, work ethic, speed, toughness, leadership, am I missing something? Has he ever been called for a diving penalty? Only once have I ever seen him get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (whining as you would say) and it can be attributed to a trigger happy ref who wouldn't listen to a legitimate argument about the location of a faceoff. I don't get what you're trying to say.
I have never really been bothered by A capt or Assistant going up and talking to the Refs by the boards. They make their point. They leave.

In the case of Valabik the guy CONSTANTLY follows refs around like a small dog yippy yapping at them. If the guy even left it to marginal calls which do happen, I would not pick on him. But the guy moans about almost everything. Why they give a guy like that an "A" is beyond belief. Just watch the guy. He does it a lot.

I never thought much about Callahan whining a lot, but the guy does go down on cue with regularity. Not that he is the worst at doing it, but you can't deny he does it.

In the case of Valabik, the best example of him diving was when they had a 3 goal lead over london going into the 3rd during the "streak" last year. In the second Valabik totally faked an injury and after drawing a penalty, went to the bench and laughed and high fived his team mates. It was so great seeing that lead erased and watching Valabik self destruct. One of the top ten moments of the year.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I have never really been bothered by A capt or Assistant going up and talking to the Refs by the boards. They make their point. They leave.

In the case of Valabik the guy CONSTANTLY follows refs around like a small dog yippy yapping at them. If the guy even left it to marginal calls which do happen, I would not pick on him. But the guy moans about almost everything. Why they give a guy like that an "A" is beyond belief. Just watch the guy. He does it a lot.

I never thought much about Callahan whining a lot, but the guy does go down on cue with regularity. Not that he is the worst at doing it, but you can't deny he does it.

In the case of Valabik, the best example of him diving was when they had a 3 goal lead over london going into the 3rd during the "streak" last year. In the second Valabik totally faked an injury and after drawing a penalty, went to the bench and laughed and high fived his team mates. It was so great seeing that lead erased and watching Valabik self destruct. One of the top ten moments of the year.
I can't really argue with anything you said there.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:46 AM
JrHockeyFan

Heh

Quote:
I can't really argue with anything you said there.
Nice avatar by the way.

Old
03-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Nice avatar by the way.
Thanks. All the Flyers fans have their favourite players surrounded by flames for the playoffs...I figured I should at least try to fit in!

Old
04-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Nice avatar by the way.
So how about that Callahan. Leading the league in points per game in the playoffs...including 8 assists (on top of 5 goals) in 5 games. Not too bad for a guy that doesn't pick up a lot of assists. You should've seen the overtime assist in game 2 on Saturday, as pretty as it gets.

Old
04-12-2006, 12:11 PM
JOrdan_2

Daniel Ryder????

JOrdan_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 12:16 AM
JrHockeyFan

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrdan_2
Daniel Ryder????
Nah

Old
04-15-2006, 01:08 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
David Bolland... hands down... is even better in the defensive zone then in the offensive zone even with those godly numbers... is great physically and can pick pocket anybody from anywhere... knows how to take guys down... and has a great one-timer and break away... Schremp has shown he's not much without Bolland... Bolland is the best player in the OHL

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Toro

well i havent watched many OHL games this yr, but i watched WJC, Prospects game.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of kostitsyn in london? He is tearing it up in the playoffs and had pretty good #s in the regular season. He got a lot of points after bolland was suspended, and from what i hear on the habs board, he is the best steal in the draft.

does he fit in the top 10 in the OHL? if not where would you slot him?

thanks

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 01:49 AM
MomentsofSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
well i havent watched many OHL games this yr, but i watched WJC, Prospects game.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of kostitsyn in london? He is tearing it up in the playoffs and had pretty good #s in the regular season. He got a lot of points after bolland was suspended, and from what i hear on the habs board, he is the best steal in the draft.

does he fit in the top 10 in the OHL? if not where would you slot him?

thanks
I wouldn't put him in the top 10... top 30-40 maybe. He is a good two way player (has some great defensive sense), not afraid to make the big open ice hit and has some good sense with the puck.

With Sergei you have to remember his numbers benefited ALOT from being on London's top PP unit. The suprising thing was he looked almost lost for the first 2 games of Bolland's suspension before making the necessary changes.

Hopefully he sticks around London for next year and doesn't bail as a lot of the European players have done after a year. I think he will be one of the driving forces of this club next year.

Last edited by MomentsofSanity: 04-17-2006 at 02:03 AM.
MomentsofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
David Bolland... hands down... is even better in the defensive zone then in the offensive zone even with those godly numbers... is great physically and can pick pocket anybody from anywhere... knows how to take guys down... and has a great one-timer and break away... Schremp has shown he's not much without Bolland.. Bolland is the best player in the OHL

Have you watched the last few London games with out Schremp, averaging 2.5 ppg is more then "not much". Schremp is a better player then Bolland. No question Bolland is a very good player but Schremp sets up most of his goals with beaty cross ice passes placed perfectly for a one timer or quick snap shot.

Schremp is not as good defensively but he can make up for that offensively. You can't teach scoring, but you can teach defense. I would take Schremp before Bolland any day, but this is not to take anything away from Bolland, he reminds me of Miro Satan, great shot but needs a little help to put up great numbers.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 08:34 PM
JrHockeyFan

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity
I wouldn't put him in the top 10... top 30-40 maybe. He is a good two way player (has some great defensive sense), not afraid to make the big open ice hit and has some good sense with the puck.

With Sergei you have to remember his numbers benefited ALOT from being on London's top PP unit. The suprising thing was he looked almost lost for the first 2 games of Bolland's suspension before making the necessary changes.

Hopefully he sticks around London for next year and doesn't bail as a lot of the European players have done after a year. I think he will be one of the driving forces of this club next year.
Perhaps not top ten, but "top 30 or 40" is not right either. Somewhere in between.

As for the PP comments, I disagree. Most of his best play is not displayed on special teams. On the PP Sergei is stuck out at the point. Perry sits low in the slot, Dylan is the corner guy, Schremp is the puck handler, and Bolland is the trigger man. The guys at the point are limited to moving the puck from side to side. He does a good job at that, but the skills you listed are much more evident off the PP.

One skill Sergei has demonstrated well on the PP is getting back on defense. The Knights PP is 5 forwards. I've seen Sergei come from behind a knock the puck away on breakaways many times.

The kid has lots of skills and plays with heart.

Old
04-18-2006, 03:58 AM
ReLyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
Have you watched the last few London games with out Schremp, averaging 2.5 ppg is more then "not much". Schremp is a better player then Bolland. No question Bolland is a very good player but Schremp sets up most of his goals with beaty cross ice passes placed perfectly for a one timer or quick snap shot.

Schremp is not as good defensively but he can make up for that offensively. You can't teach scoring, but you can teach defense. I would take Schremp before Bolland any day, but this is not to take anything away from Bolland, he reminds me of Miro Satan, great shot but needs a little help to put up great numbers.
You can see that from Alberta? Seriously though Schremp was horrible his points dont show it but he was a puck hog and only passed when he absolutly had to, and was trying WAY to hard... and never could just shoot it on net, he hadto do a huge wind up and hit top corner like a showoff... when theres 3 bodies infront of the net he still tries to go top corner with a slapshot and denys to toss in along the ice to get tipped or bounce in, he had an empty net staring him in the face and instead of just snapping it into the net and wound up a huge slapshot and missed, it was horrible... in the four games where Bolland was absent from Schremp had 0 goals 10 assists and was a -2 rating... 4 of those assists were second assists, one of those games he was a minus 4... he was very bad... alot of fans will back me up saying he wa a liability in the last round... now I like Schremp and love his attitude and personality and i hope he breaks this slump he's on... Schremp will put people in the seats... Bolland will win you games, I pick Bolland...

As for the Kostitsyn guy, I'd put him 15-25 he is awsome out there loves making the big hits, is such a kid out there and you cn tell he has a huge passion for the game which I think his brother lacks a bit... and hey he was named OHL player of the week this week!

Old
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
ReLyT

To emphasis my point
Quote:
Assists are great too, but Schremp is obviously going to pile up assists when he's playing with Bolland (11 G, 4 PPG), Hunter (8 G, 4 PPG), Kostitsyn ( 8 G, 2 PPG), Perry (7G, 3PPG), Drummond (8 G, 4 PPG).

Schremp didn't play well against Owen Sound. He had zero goals and was growing more and more frustrated with his own poor play. Not to mention the turn overs he caused in his own end and in the neutral zone.

History repeats, Schremp doesn't score the big game tying goal or game winning goal in very many tight important games.

Old
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
STS44

If Rob Schremp concentrates on finding the open corner of the net, gets those quick passes to Bolland on the opposite side and overall concentrates on being a member of a TEAM then he will be dangerous. If he continues the selfish
I need to score with my huge flashy slapshot then they will win but struggle. Best player in the OHL when he puts his mind to it and goes the extra TEAM effort.

STS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
STS44

PS - I know Jordan Foreman was voted best bodychcker but some of the Knights
best body checks were on Kostitsyns hip checks - devasting hitter on a team that doesn't have much in that regard.

STS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT

As for the Kostitsyn guy, I'd put him 15-25 he is awsome out there loves making the big hits, is such a kid out there and you cn tell he has a huge passion for the game which I think his brother lacks a bit... and hey he was named OHL player of the week this week!
How about upping the ante. Sergei was announced as player of the week for the CHL too!

Old
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
JrHockeyFan

Timing is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
PS - I know Jordan Foreman was voted best bodychcker but some of the Knights
best body checks were on Kostitsyns hip checks - devasting hitter on a team that doesn't have much in that regard.
Sergei times those hits perfectly. I thought that kneeing call the other night was wrong. The leg was out away from the hit establishing his stance for the hit.