HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks Appeal Simpson's Penalty

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2003, 07:32 AM
  #1
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
Ducks Appeal Simpson's Penalty

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=56707

If he keeps getting game misconducts, he could be suspended....

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 07:51 AM
  #2
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
And since he seems like a bit of an idiot, I expect he'll keep getting them...

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:01 AM
  #3
MTWRX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arvada CO
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MTWRX
Looks like it was tied down to me.



MTWRX is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:03 AM
  #4
MTWRX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arvada CO
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MTWRX




MTWRX is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 01:00 PM
  #5
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
still on the subject of topics that make Arankys roll his eyes
with 3 leaders in the top 10 of PIM already and an average of 27.5 minutes of penalties in their first 2 games, the Ducks seem to have gone from one of the smartest, least-penalized teams last year to a goon squad, at least so far
I mean, I enjoy a good tilt as much as everyone but Simpson's fight in the first, last game left us with just 5 D for the rest of the game and Burnett was the reason for the powerplay that led to the back-breaking goal against the Preds....
I sure would like to see less PIMs and more Ws

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 01:22 PM
  #6
Jshibley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LaVerne CA
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jshibley Send a message via Yahoo to Jshibley
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
still on the subject of topics that make Arankys roll his eyes
with 3 leaders in the top 10 of PIM already and an average of 27.5 minutes of penalties in their first 2 games, the Ducks seem to have gone from one of the smartest, least-penalized teams last year to a goon squad, at least so far
I mean, I enjoy a good tilt as much as everyone but Simpson's fight in the first, last game left us with just 5 D for the rest of the game and Burnett was the reason for the powerplay that led to the back-breaking goal against the Preds....
I sure would like to see less PIMs and more Ws

I agree completely.....I even enjoy fighting in hockey, but this is just too much. more good checking and less fighting and dumb roughing penalties. Hopefully tomorow things will go better i'm going to be there so they better win.

Jshibley is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 02:33 PM
  #7
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Exactly. If you're a tough defenseman, why don't you hang out in front of your net and be tough there? Arkhipov scored from the slot, Legwand from the left circle down low.

Arankys, you're the biggest joke on the boards, so you rolling your eyes at me is a compliment.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
  #8
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Here is what Mike Babcock said about Burnett-Simpson in LA TIMES:

"You don't see anyone taking cheap shots at any of our guys."


So it looks like we will be seeing lots more of these two guys in the lineup...Babcock seems to like what they are doing.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
  #9
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Did we see cheapshots taken on our guys last season?

Stupid thing to say, coach.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:05 PM
  #10
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Well Andy MacDonald might have something to say about that...

Jerky Leclerc is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:18 PM
  #11
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
I still don't think that was a cheap shot. It looked like an innocent play to me.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:22 PM
  #12
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
Did we see cheapshots taken on our guys last season?
Uh.... yeah, we did. Not that I'm convinced an enforcer is a guaranteed deterrent against that.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:25 PM
  #13
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
You must be talking about minor incidents, then. Did it keep us from winning?

Was it lack of enforcers that cost us the Cup?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 05:58 PM
  #14
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
You must be talking about minor incidents, then. Did it keep us from winning?

Was it lack of enforcers that cost us the Cup?
No, absolutely not, and I agree that Babs is focusing on it too much, but when the spot only gets three minutes a night, who cares? It's good to have a guy with size, and if he can drop the gloves, it's all gravy.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
  #15
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
What does that have to do with what I said, caricature?

Money, I can see your point with Burnett, although I agree with Hank in that I'd rather have a guy that could be trusted with more than 3 minutes a game, but there's not much of an excuse for Simpson.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:34 PM
  #16
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Well Andy MacDonald might have something to say about that...
The Foote hit was far from a cheap shot.

Regardless, I wouldn't read too much into a single quote by Babs with no context. I certainly wouldn't expect him to trash his players in the press or anything like that. A better indication of what Babcock thinks will be the play of those two guys in the next few games... how much ice time they get and all of that.

Hank is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:46 PM
  #17
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
but when the spot only gets three minutes a night, who cares? It's good to have a guy with size, and if he can drop the gloves, it's all gravy.
Well there's the issue right there, everyone else on the 4th line is getting 8-10 minutes. Most kill penalties, they can pop in the occassional goal, and you can count on them to play defense for the most part. Burnett has shown he can fight that's IT. I'm not saying he can't play hockey, but I've seen no effort on his part to even try to do anything but fight.

Pretty much the same goes for Simpson and that was NOT what I was expecting out of him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think he only had 8 or 10 fighting majors all last season.

Hank is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:47 PM
  #18
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
What does that have to do with what I said, caricature?

Money, I can see your point with Burnett, although I agree with Hank in that I'd rather have a guy that could be trusted with more than 3 minutes a game, but there's not much of an excuse for Simpson.
If Simpson really did have his jersey tied down as Babs thinks (and MT's frames seem to show) than I don't know what he was doing that was so idiotic, other than his play in the first game.

I'm with you as far as goon's go. I'd rather have a big guy on the fourth line who can play physical and skate well enough to play ten minutes or so. Shame we didn't snag Hagman from Florida.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:53 PM
  #19
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Well there's the issue right there, everyone else on the 4th line is getting 8-10 minutes. Most kill penalties, they can pop in the occassional goal, and you can count on them to play defense for the most part. Burnett has shown he can fight that's IT. I'm not saying he can't play hockey, but I've seen no effort on his part to even try to do anything but fight.

Pretty much the same goes for Simpson and that was NOT what I was expecting out of him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think he only had 8 or 10 fighting majors all last season.
Simpson had 7 majors total last season, don't know how many were for fighting specifically. He had 1 game misconduct.

Money my problem with Simpson, as I've said, is that he's more important on the ice. Even if he hadn't been kicked out, having him gone for 5 minutes hurts. Dallas scored twice while he was out on Wednesday, and Nashville didn't do anything until he was gone, either.
I'm not saying that he has to be Superman and keep pucks out of the net himself, but he's really not doing us any good sitting in a box.
Additionally, he admitted that the thing with Guerin was personal, "I've been trying to get him to fight me for years." That's cool and all, and I like to see Bill Guerin pounded as much as the next guy, but he needs to think of the team first.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:57 PM
  #20
Spankatola Jamnuts*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ...sucka?
Country: United States
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Here, by way of contrast:

Simpson had 40 minors and 7 majors last season, in 66 games.

Salei, whom I think everyone can agree is a rather dense, penalty-prone defenseman, had 39 minors and 0 majors last season, in 61 games.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 10:16 PM
  #21
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
Money my problem with Simpson, as I've said, is that he's more important on the ice. Even if he hadn't been kicked out, having him gone for 5 minutes hurts. Dallas scored twice while he was out on Wednesday, and Nashville didn't do anything until he was gone, either.
I'm not saying that he has to be Superman and keep pucks out of the net himself, but he's really not doing us any good sitting in a box.
Additionally, he admitted that the thing with Guerin was personal, "I've been trying to get him to fight me for years." That's cool and all, and I like to see Bill Guerin pounded as much as the next guy, but he needs to think of the team first.
Hey, Dallas scored with him ON the ice, too! That quote is pretty funny considering Guerin turned him inside out to score that goal. I don't think I'd be bragging about the fight, Todd.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:15 PM
  #22
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
From todays LA TIMES:

Defenseman Todd Simpson received a pardon from NHL officials Wednesday when they repealed his game misconduct penalty from last Thursday's Nashville game.

Simpson was given the penalty for not having his jersey tied down during a long and bloody fight with Predator Scott Walker.

"It was very clear on the video that it was tied down," Duck General Manager Bryan Murray said. "It was only at the last moment that both sweaters came undone."

The Ducks were concerned about Simpson, a rugged defenseman, receiving a game misconduct penalty so early in the season. A player is suspended for one game after receiving three game misconduct penalties, then one game for every additional misconduct he receives.

"You don't want too many of those," Simpson said. "You could run into trouble later in the year."

Despite the repeal, Simpson remained unhappy that he was ejected from the game. The fight occurred near the end of a scoreless first period. The Ducks had to play with five defensemen and Nashville came away with a 3-1 win.

"It was really frustrating at the time," Simpson said. "It was disappointing because you want to help the team but have to sit out. But I guess I got vindicated."

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 07:31 AM
  #23
soya_sauce_chicken
Registered User
 
soya_sauce_chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
I for one like the fact that we got Simspon and Burnett.. They don't take crap from no one.. Boogs, we did get pushed around.. but our guys didn't get fazed by it..
I think BM is just trying to protect his assets with these 2 guys.. he doesn't want the same thing to happen to Andy Mac, and Kariya to his younger kids.. Kariya had plenty of concussions and was always getting cheap shots.. now with his investment with Feds and Prospal, and with the return of Mac he doesn't want his guys to get injured..
I agree with you that they don't fit in to our style of play last year.. and maybe they are going into a goon squad now... and i 100% agree on that they should show their toughness in front of the net to block those dam shots..

soya_sauce_chicken is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 07:43 AM
  #24
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
From the 4th line Ducks need physicality and toughness far more than penalty killing.
But you don't get any of the above when Burnett is in the box for 10 minutes a night or sitting on the bench for all but 1:30 (like against Phoenix).

The guy needs to skate a regular shift making big hits, intimidating the opposition, and occassionally kicking a** to prove there's a reason to be afraid of him. On that I agree 100%. But the question remains... CAN he skate a regular shift?

Hank is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 08:43 AM
  #25
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
This is his first season in the NHL and he's 27
He's been with countless organizations (but only on their farm team)
I think that speaks for itself when the question arises on whether or not he can skate a regular shift.

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.