HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varada - Aching for Ice Time

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Varada - Aching for Ice Time

Varada appears to be feeling a little left out. I think he's struggling with the idea that he's no longer getting premium playing time.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...00883-sun.html

Quote:
Varada, as the Sun reported, has been troubled by the fact he's only been playing an average of five minutes under coach Bryan Murray and summoned agent Ritch Winter to Ottawa for a meeting with GM John Muckler.
I don't like the idea that he's brought his agent into the discussion, but, I'm not sure how common that is. I like Varada, and, he is very valuable in the playoffs, but, he really hasn't done anything to warrant more playing time. Under the old regime, he had the benefit of his relationship with Bonk, which got him some premium minutes on this team. Without that benefit, it's really hard to justify giving him more ice time.

I've found that Murray has been generous to him at times, giving him second line PP time, despite not really showing anything worthy of that time.

I don't see anything happening on the trade front. True, he's making a fair bit of money ($1.2M), but, we're already underway in the season, that moving him, and replacing him with a league minimum salary will only bring in a savings of $500K, if we trade him today. I say his pest role in the playoffs is worth keeping him around at that price.

Old
11-11-2005, 10:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He looked good last night, looking like he was trying to prove that he deserves some ice time. I don't like the fact that on a 12-2 team, we've got a guy complaining about his ice time. Is that what this team needs right now?

Old
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Rico__Persson*

With his high contract, Ottawa won't get much more than a cracked shin pad in return.

Injuries haven't hit this team yet. They will. When they do Varada will be given more icetime, and be counted on. I like a deep team, thats what makes teams so powerful.

In the postseason, I'd rather have Vinny Varada rather than a cracked shin pad.

Old
11-11-2005, 10:40 AM
discostu

I agree with the both of you. I brought it up though, because it is an interesting development, and, the idea of bringing the agent into the mix scares me a little, and it may be indication that this is more than a slight annoyance.

Looking at the roster, it is very hard to find space for him. In terms of wingers, here's the guys currently ahead of him:
-Alfie
-Heatley
-Havlat
-Schaefer
-Fisher
-Neil

It's a tough situation for the guy, as, there's not much room for him to overtake anyone on there. Neil is probably his best bet, but, his new career as a goal scorer makes it tough to relegate him down to the fourth line (he had a great screen last night as well). Fisher has to be on the 2nd or 3rd line, but, he could be moved to centre, and Vermette, if he struggles, could find himself on a lower line if Varada ever does increase his play.

These are nice problems for a team to have though.

Old
11-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Rico__Persson*

Stu, I wasn't arguing your point. Its impossible to agrue your view because you cover every single point of view.

If Varada is traded, I would see this as a banking transaction. Simply freeing up for cash for a large pickup later in the year. One that most likely will cause me to black-out.

I'll be walking around wearing a helmet for the days leading up to the trade deadline.

Old
11-11-2005, 11:29 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
I wouldn't be opposed to the Sens moving Varada for a conditional pick and bringing Eaves up.

Reason for this is I think that Eaves can fill that 4th line role as good as it's needed. Also this gives Eaves NHL experience to boot!

Old
11-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Human Megaphone

I think a lot of this Varada issue is media related. There isn't a bad story, because we're doing so well, so the Varada thing gets blown out of proportion. Obviously there is some truth, in that Varada wants more ice time, but I don't think it's as big as it seems.

Regardless, I say keep him. He'll help in the playoffs and can fill in when someone gets hurt.

Old
11-11-2005, 01:35 PM
bert

I cant believe he is bringing in his agent with the way this team is playing. He is putting himself ahead of the team. This makes me question him as a player, he is a role player when the team is winning he should be happy. He will get his chance when someone gets hurt.

Old
11-11-2005, 02:48 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
I think a lot of this Varada issue is media related. There isn't a bad story, because we're doing so well, so the Varada thing gets blown out of proportion. Obviously there is some truth, in that Varada wants more ice time, but I don't think it's as big as it seems.

Regardless, I say keep him. He'll help in the playoffs and can fill in when someone gets hurt.
I agree. I knew this would happen sooner or later.

Old
11-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Release The Lehner

I think Varada could be taking Neil's spot on the 3rd line in the near future. They'll start easing him into the role so it isn't seen as a demotion to Neil, and after a few more games both players will be getting around 9 minutes each splitting time between the 3rd and 4th line. If Varada thinks he deserves more than that, well he's delusional because everyone else on the team is atleast a step above him in the skill department. Neil's hands are even better than Varada's. All Varada does is drive the net like a missile.

Regarding trading Varada now, it really doesn't save us much money and we definately won't get the same calibre player in return. If we trade now for a pick and replace him with a league min player (Eaves is not league min.) we save about 700K on the season (with Eaves we'd save like 250K). If we keep him until close to the deadline and deal him then we'll only save around 250K on the year.

If anything I'd like to see Varada remain on the team for this year, and have Smolinski be the one to get traded. I would be prepared to package Smolinski and our 1st rounder for someone like Arnott, Jokinen, or Weight. If we're looking at a player that is under contract for more than this year at a reasonable salary I'd include Bochenski or Varada in a deal like that.

After this little stunt with his agent I think it would be fitting for Varada to get dealt to a **** team like Washington where he can play all kinds of minutes but never get a shot at a cup again for the rest of his career.

Old
11-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Sens Rule

Let's hope Varada doesn't become a cancer. He was great against the Bruins. In the 1st period the only decent line the Sens had was the 4th line. Varada went to the net at least twice on great plays and I think he drew a penalty on one of the drives to the net.

If he plays like that he will earn more ice time. Now that Bochensli is in the minors though I can't see how he can really be that upset with the players getting time in front of him.

Also we should note that every time the SENS are blowing out a team that Murray gives alot more ice time to Varada and other guys on the 3rd and 4th line.

Varada should just play like he can and wait for an injury or for more ice time to come because it will at some point. If he complains he will end up on another team and will not get this excellent shot at a Cup here.

Old
11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
nneate

Didn't Murray say he was creating a committee of players to deal with locker room situations so he wouldn't have to hear about it, when he first became the head coach?

I think hearing about ice time complaints in the media is the exact type of thing he doesn't want.

As others have already stated, he is trying his damndest to give Varada plenty of ice time, putting him on the 2nd powerplay unit without being shown anything to go on. Varada just needs to suck it up and earn his way there with the 5 minutes a night he is getting, certainly doesn't seem like a team player right now.

Old
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Volchenkov

Havlat, who is a premiere talent is stuck on the 2nd PP unit. In fact he was demoted to the 2nd PP unit. No complaints.

Varada, career roleplayer and making as much as Spezza, is stuck on the 4th line.
If he doesn't want to be here, we really don't need him all that much. Let someone who wants to play here (Eaves for example) play instead.

If Eaves does replace Varada in the lineup it won't be on the 4th line. IMO he would bump Neil back down to the 4th.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:49 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...9/1313324.html

Quote:
Unhappy Senators winger Vaclav Varada could be on the move soon.

Two league sources told the Sun yesterday Ottawa GM John Muckler has been trying to trade Varada and his $1.2 million US contract. But there haven't been any takers so far.

Varada, who's averaged just under seven minutes in ice time since coach Bryan Murray arrived in Ottawa, hasn't asked to be dealt. But the Senators aren't going to keep a player with his salary on the fourth line.

It's believed the Senators are simply looking for a draft pick in return for Varada, who has seen his role slip with the emergence of Chris Neil up front. Varada also suffered a knee injury in training camp.
It says Eaves would be called up as his replacement.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Its a long season and I don't think having too much grit is a bad thing. Personally i think Bruce Garriock has nothin to still the pot with since his favorite whipping boy bonk was traded out of town..... maybe Boo just dosen't like them Czecks

Varada is a good insurance policy if someone does go downwith an injury. Also he is playoff tested and although he missed that break away two years ago in the series vs. the leafs he has scored some big playoff goals (albeit it was in buffalo ) I don't like that he is complaining about ice time but I do feel that all players no matter what sport should want to be in the game. Varada has always been intense and competitive perhaps these traits got the best of him in expressing himself.. because of that maybe bringing his agent was so he could be somewhat removed from speaking directly to Muckler about more PT.
Something else to consider right now Smoke is playing well between Fisher and Neil. When the playoffs role around I could see Muray using Fisher back at centre between Neil and Varada. Further I could see Smoke moving down to the fourth line to play between McGratton and Eaves leaving Kelly the odd man out. Leaving us with two offensive lines and two lines that are a real pain to play against.
Varada is a good pest. Neil is learning (maybe from Varada) to be a pest making Neil kinda like a hybrid pest /agitator/fighter

Old
11-19-2005, 11:20 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Personally, I would rather keep Varada on the team in case of injuries down the line - he can fill in admirably on the top 3 lines if need be. Ditching Varada and bring up Eaves doesn't really save any cap room either - Varada makes $1.216 million whereas Eaves is at $942.4K. I guess every bit helps and hopefully we'll have the money to get a 2nd line centre at the midway point of the season.

However, if Varada being unhappy with his ice time makes him a distraction then perhaps he has to go, but I think Varada could be a valuable contributor to this team if need be.

Old
11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Personally, I would rather keep Varada on the team in case of injuries down the line - he can fill in admirably on the top 3 lines if need be. Ditching Varada and bring up Eaves doesn't really save any cap room either - Varada makes $1.216 million whereas Eaves is at $942.4K. I guess every bit helps and hopefully we'll have the money to get a 2nd line centre at the midway point of the season.

However, if Varada being unhappy with his ice time makes him a distraction then perhaps he has to go, but I think Varada could be a valuable contributor to this team if need be.
I'll second this notion. Grumpy players are never, ever good. Especially on a team like the Sens. Ideally, IMO, Varada is a guy that we need playing come spring time. He would be a fantastic injury fill-in. Heres to hoping he sticks with the team and takes his lumps re: ice-time.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Volchenkov

Varada played very well replacing Smolinski on the 3rd line. I was very impressed with how well Varada-Fisher-Neil played together. Extremely tough with a surprising goal scoring ability. This is exactly why the sens don't really need to trade him - players will get injured.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Sens Rule

9:39 min 5 shots and 2 missed shots so he took 7 shots more than anyone else on the team tonight. Plus he got an assist and 2 hits.

I hope he gets happy with his role because he is a huge asset to this team and will help us in the playoffs in a huge way.

Unless he is becoming a cancer which is unlikely I think we SHOULD NOT TRADE VARADA!

He is far, far better at this point than Eaves is.

Old
11-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Pothier

That was a very nice pass he made tonight to set up Fisher.

Old
11-19-2005, 11:36 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battochio30
That was a very nice pass he made tonight to set up Fisher.
Kamikaze Varada had a great game tonight. He'll take the odd penalty, but overall adds another batch of tenacity to the whole team. Good to see him play solid. I hate to say it, but sooner or later you saw that type of hit coming on Smolinski. He's prone to playing too laisez-faire once in a while, and was caught with his head down bobbling a puck. Smoke unfortunately bobbles the odd puck. Heres to Smoke feelin a little better after that one.

Old
11-20-2005, 12:21 AM
senility

Well, if nothing else, Smolinski's injury should give Varada the opportunity to show what he's got so that he can prove he belongs and/or up his trade value. No disrespect to Smoke or to that line's play as of late, but I think a Varada-Fisher-Neil line has the potential to do some amazing things together as a checking/energy line and I'd like to see them in action for a while before giving up on V. I can't see them being taken off the puck very easily in the offensive zone and I think they could do a fantastic job of wearing out the opposition's D, leaving them even more vulnerable to the speed the top two lines.

Old
11-20-2005, 01:58 AM
16w

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
I hate to say it, but sooner or later you saw that type of hit coming on Smolinski. He's prone to playing too laisez-faire once in a while, and was caught with his head down bobbling a puck. Smoke unfortunately bobbles the odd puck. Heres to Smoke feelin a little better after that one.
...you can thank Pothier's in the skates pass for Smolinski's injury

Old
11-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Johnny On the Spot

I can see why Varada is begging for ice time, he sees the writing on the wall and fears being traded from the team. Since his complaints, I have seen his effort climb. His slow start from the preseason injury is not an excuse any more. I don't mind having a versitile role player on the depth chart, but he has yet to impress me since he has been here.

Closed Thread