HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sutherby

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 10:01 AM
kremlin

vCash: 500
Sutherby

In 2000, Sutherby was a late 1st round pick (26th overall). Now I feel, Sutherby will become a superb checking-line center in time. However, I don't see him developing beyond 3rd line duty on a regular basis. Does any of you see a top-six forward in him? Furthermore, I think he will put up max. 20 points a year. Does anyone disagree? Therefore, I wonder, wouldn't it be better if Washington picked a sniper or a defense man with their 1st round pick in 2000? Don't get me wrong, I like Sutherby, but was he worth the 1st round pick?

Old
10-11-2003, 10:05 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Yes I disagree I think even if he is only a checking line center taht he will score more then 20 points. Though I think he has a really good shot at being a 2nd line center.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:28 AM
kremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
Yes I disagree I think even if he is only a checking line center taht he will score more then 20 points. Though I think he has a really good shot at being a 2nd line center.
Yeah, but given his great checking / defense ability, do you really think they will ever promote him to 2nd line on a regular basis?

Old
10-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin
Yeah, but given his great checking / defense ability, do you really think they will ever promote him to 2nd line on a regular basis?
Sure, look at Mike Peca (who he's been compared to by GMGM, the man who essentially drafted Peca). Peca has superb defensive abilities, but has enough talent to play on a scoring line too. Sutherby will probably never become a regular second line center on a team deep at forward like the caps, but he does have the talent to put up 40 pts a year while being one of the best defensive/physical centers in the league. Like I've said many times, his overall value will greatly exceed his offensive contributions.

Old
10-11-2003, 11:33 AM
I_r_1337

Sutherby could be compared to either Peca or John Madden. He has the tools to put up 40-60 points a year, shutdown opposing teams top players, PK, knock people around, fight and gives everything he's got for his team. I think if you can get a heart and soul player who could be your captain for years to come with the 26th overall pick you don't miss out on the chance. When you think of Washington Caps hockey you think of Dale Hunter. Brian Sutherby is that type of player.

Old
10-11-2003, 12:37 PM
kremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
Sure, look at Mike Peca (who he's been compared to by GMGM, the man who essentially drafted Peca). Peca has superb defensive abilities, but has enough talent to play on a scoring line too. Sutherby will probably never become a regular second line center on a team deep at forward like the caps, but he does have the talent to put up 40 pts a year while being one of the best defensive/physical centers in the league. Like I've said many times, his overall value will greatly exceed his offensive contributions.
Was he really compared to Peca? If so, do you have a link to an article or so?

Old
10-11-2003, 12:41 PM
txpd

Peca and Madden are good prototypes for what the Capitals are looking at with Sutherby. McPhee is pretty consistant with his projecting Sutherby as a team Captain. He was MVP of the young stars game. That doesn't generally happen to a grinder at best player. Look at Sutherby another way. A bigger Jeff Halpern. Halpern has 18 and 20 goals then a knee injury. Cassidy is projecting him to return to that
20 goal level in addition to checking the other teams top line and being the teams best face off guy. He plays with the passion and heart of a player that is playing out a dream on his hometown team. McPhee sees
Sutherby as Halpern with the size to be physical in a way that Halpern can't. Halpern is a scrappy, pest who can pop in 20 goals and add 30 assists with power play time. Sutherby can do all that Halpern can do, but can take Halpern's scrappy to dominating or intimidating. While Halpern won't back down from a fight with anyone, he is not a match for many. Sutherby put a beat down on Adam Foote last year. He is a "don't mess with that guy" player. At 25 or 26 years old he will carry stature and respect. I think it worth noting that the line of Willsie-Sutherby-Pettinger was a threat in every way against the Islanders. There are many that would say that Konowalchuk-Halpern-Grier were the Caps best line last year. Certainly the most consistant line. They were the 3rd line in number only. Here is a question for you? Is a 1st round draft choice too much to spend to get the heart and soul of your team?

Old
10-11-2003, 12:49 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin
Was he really compared to Peca? If so, do you have a link to an article or so?
this is from portland coach tim army.....
"A player he should look at is a guy like Michael Peca. He plays against the other team's best players, he's always the best defensive forward, yet he can also play on the power play, produce offense 5-on-5 and has a nastiness," Army said.
http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates...5pirates.shtml
this is on mcphee
The Caps are hopeful that Sutherby eventually will develop into a scoring threat, as well, but for now they want him to come in and contribute as a solid checking center. McPhee also drafted Michael Peca in the 1992 draft when he was a part of the Canucks’ front office, and Sutherby often draws comparisons to the Islanders’ two-time Selke Award winner.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...pitalspreview/
that as from last year. by the way.

Closed Thread