HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islander-Sound Tiger News Articles 10/9: Papineau-Hunter must stay or go on waivers..

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 03:06 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Islander-Sound Tiger News Articles 10/9: Papineau and Hunter must clear waivers.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-headlines

Time for It to Count
Islanders put 7-0 preseason behind them

In NHL previews from just about every national publication, the Islanders, despite consecutive playoff berths, have been picked to miss the playoffs this season.

"It'll be fun to prove people wrong," said veteran goalie Garth Snow, who is expected to get the start tonight.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-headlines

Islanders Can Relate to Yashin's Role Reversal

The Islanders' 23-man opening night roster costs $42,617,370, according to the NHL Players Association. Technically, Mattias Timander's $1.2-million salary counts toward the team's payroll; therefore, it is actually $43,817,370.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...orts-headlines

Wang, Corzine Group Make Offers on Nets
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Two-Minute Drill
TRAP HAPPY
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/41024.htm

ISLANDERS TAKE SHOW
ON THE ROAD
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/09/sp...ey/09ISLE.html

Islanders Roll Out New System for New Era
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Oct8.html

Capitals Enter the Teen Age
Islanders Will See Three 19-Year-Olds
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2003...5929-8173r.htm

Leonsis upbeat about next season
http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,14...686829,00.html

SOUND TIGERS NOTEBOOK
NUMBERS GAME

Trent Hunter and Justin Papineau would have to clear waivers to go to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Sean Bergenheim had to stay up in the NHL or return to Finland for the year. When the Islanders needed to send one player to Bridgeport to reach the 23-man maximum roster, they sent the one that didn't have to clear waivers, Justin Mapletoft.
http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,14...686830,00.html

SOUND TIGERS CAPSULES

Old
10-09-2003, 03:18 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
I'm glad that Mapletoft's not sulking after having a good camp.

What happens when Weinhandl returns in 3-4 weeks?Won't the isles still be in a bind,not wanting to put either Hunter or Papineau on waivers to make room for Weinhandl?

Old
10-09-2003, 03:29 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'm glad that Mapletoft's not sulking after having a good camp.

What happens when Weinhandl returns in 3-4 weeks?Won't the isles still be in a bind,not wanting to put either Hunter or Papineau on waivers to make room for Weinhandl?
Crew, can you see a senario where they are not forced to make a trade unless they have injuries? I cannot unless they risk losing a player by putting them on waivers to get them to Bgpt.

Funny how all thru camp Hahn never wrote about this (which is why I like the Ct Post coverage)

I wonder if MM held some players up here to make a trade and it did not go thru yet. To carry all these young players and have to scratch them just does not make a lot of sense nor does playing them on a fourth line.

Some vets really better work if they want to keep spots.

Old
10-09-2003, 03:36 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Crew, can you see a senario where they are not forced to make a trade unless they have injuries? I cannot unless they risk losing a player by putting them on waivers to get them to Bgpt.
Unless Czerkawski lights it up, he's Bridgeport-bound when Weinhandl returns. He's the only guy the team can put through waivers without worrying about a claim.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:59 AM
303Joe

Chow is going nowhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Unless Czerkawski lights it up, he's Bridgeport-bound when Weinhandl returns. He's the only guy the team can put through waivers without worrying about a claim.
he's gonna play very well on that line. I know he didn't have the greatest of camps but did score 3 goals in the last 2 games and I think that will carry over. Watched him in practice yestersday and yes I know its only practice but I watched the Yashin, Kavasha and Chow line closely and they seemed to work very well off each other. Whe Weinhandle gets back look to move him. How many small forwards can this team have? I don;t know why everyone is so hyped up about this guy. Never really have seen anything special from him in his time up excpet for being very brittle and spending time on the injured list.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:16 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

Funny how all thru camp Hahn never wrote about this (which is why I like the Ct Post coverage)

I wonder if MM held some players up here to make a trade and it did not go thru yet. To carry all these young players and have to scratch them just does not make a lot of sense nor does playing them on a fourth line.

Some vets really better work if they want to keep spots.
well, i think the isles will keep an expanded roster right now until at least the 10 game mark to get a feel of how the BST kids are playing.

the caveat IMO is that our first 10 games are not against 'tough' teams per se (we should be 7-3 IMO)...so, that success may be a little overrated if the BST players perform exceptionally well.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
he's gonna play very well on that line. I know he didn't have the greatest of camps but did score 3 goals in the last 2 games and I think that will carry over. Watched him in practice yestersday and yes I know its only practice but I watched the Yashin, Kavasha and Chow line closely and they seemed to work very well off each other. Whe Weinhandle gets back look to move him. How many small forwards can this team have? I don;t know why everyone is so hyped up about this guy. Never really have seen anything special from him in his time up excpet for being very brittle and spending time on the injured list.

what he done ?

1.He's shown skill which the isles roster lacks.

2.He's shown a willingness to get his nose dirty,fighting for the puck,taking a hit which 23 yr old Papineau hasn't shown. MM described Papineau's lack of physical play as 'that courage thing'

3.His 6 goals in 47 games as a rookie last yr,was 1 more then Chow's 2002-2003 total.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Islanders4Cups

I was completely caught by surprise by this. Bergenheim's performance and his making the team really is forcing some decisions here a bit faster than I expected. Anyone else here think there is chance this team will move Blake if Bergenheim is for real? Same type of player...

Old
10-09-2003, 09:45 AM
303Joe

Don't compare Weinhandle to Chow please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
what he done ?

1.He's shown skill which the isles roster lacks.

2.He's shown a willingness to get his nose dirty,fighting for the puck,taking a hit which 23 yr old Papineau hasn't shown. MM described Papineau's lack of physical play as 'that courage thing'

3.His 6 goals in 47 games as a rookie last yr,was 1 more then Chow's 2002-2003 total.
no I'm not a big Chow supporter but i think hes gonna have a good year one the 1st line w/ alot of PP time. Yes he had a bad 2002-2003 no doubt about it, but he has had several 20+ seasons and you had Weinhandle w/ 6 goals over more than a half year what has that proved nothing. You say he fights for the puck and gets dirty he also gets injured quiet often. How was his pre-season this year yeah as usual he was injured. Guys to fragile to be any type of big impact guy. I never said in my post I wanted to Papineau to replace him although I think he should get a good look as he had a nice preseason scoring around 4 goals and looked like he was playing well w/ Peca and P. Just said the isles have enough small forwards in the same mold. I would prefer to see Hunter get a chance over Weinhandle a little bigger and more effective taking the body. Maybe Weinhandle will prove me wrong and I hope he does that means he would be netting aot of goals and staying healthy but I just don't see him doing anything big in the NHL.

Old
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
no I'm not a big Chow supporter but i think hes gonna have a good year one the 1st line w/ alot of PP time. Yes he had a bad 2002-2003 no doubt about it, but he has had several 20+ seasons and you had Weinhandle w/ 6 goals over more than a half year what has that proved nothing. You say he fights for the puck and gets dirty he also gets injured quiet often. How was his pre-season this year yeah as usual he was injured. Guys to fragile to be any type of big impact guy. I never said in my post I wanted to Papineau to replace him although I think he should get a good look as he had a nice preseason scoring around 4 goals and looked like he was playing well w/ Peca and P. Just said the isles have enough small forwards in the same mold. I would prefer to see Hunter get a chance over Weinhandle a little bigger and more effective taking the body. Maybe Weinhandle will prove me wrong and I hope he does that means he would be netting aot of goals and staying healthy but I just don't see him doing anything big in the NHL.

Chow-The 2 yrs before Yashin/Peca arrived, Chow scored 30 and 35 goals as he was pratically the only offensive scoring threat on the team
His first yr on Yashin's wing,getting a ton of pp icetime, he scored 22 goals and played lousy defensively.If someone's lost on waivers,it will hopefully be Chow.

Weinhandl-a lot players coming over from Europe need a period of adjustment.Different size rink,longer schedule.Weinhandl getting 23 pts in 47 games as a rookie impressives me a lot more then anything Chow's done in the last 2 yrs.

Papineau-Everyone's so hyped because he had a strong preseason .Last yr he scored 5 goals in 1 preseason game,then once the season started,teams tightened up defensively and the hitting picked up,he did his usual disappearing act.Just as you don't see Weinhandl doing much in the nhl,I'm not impressed by Papineau's disappearing acts when play turns physical.

Old
10-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Whe Weinhandle gets back look to move him. How many small forwards can this team have? I don;t know why everyone is so hyped up about this guy. Never really have seen anything special from him in his time up excpet for being very brittle and spending time on the injured list.
Check out the points-per-game of any rookie in the league last year and see how he stacks up. Nash, Zetterberg, anybody. Anybody on any team, playing on any line, playing power play.... anybody. The ppg numbers are right there. I don't want to tell you he's as good as those elite rookies but he did produce at a rate that was consistent with them and 47 games is a pretty good sample.

And I believe he will continue to improve. From my time watching BST over the last two years the two best skaters I have seen are Raffi Torres and Weinhandl. We traded one away, lets try not "move" the other after half a season OK? Please.

Old
10-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Weinhandl is our best passer. Kvasha makes dumb passes, so to put him above Weinie is stupid. WHOA, that gives me an idea. mattias' nickname needs to be 'hot dog'

Old
10-11-2003, 08:39 AM
IslesFan17

Weinhandl is a huge part of this team's future. Him and Nilsson should eventually be Yashin's 2 wingers.

Czerkawski, regardless of what he does this year, is a stop gap. He will be let go next season, if not sooner.

Closed Thread