HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion on the Flames...

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Your opinion on the Flames...

I gave my take on what I thought about Ottawa, what about yours? (taking a page out of SopelFan's book)

Take a guess who lead the Flames defense in ice time? Regehr? Leopold?

Nope. Andrew Ference.

The not-first line played well, Iginla sucked.

Opinions?

Old
12-11-2005, 12:38 AM
ARS

Great team, definitely top 3 in the league, they just need to up their scoring a bit.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:46 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Lots of speed, very physical.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Don Draper

I think tonight was Flames hockey at its truest sense. I know they got to the cup playing this style, but they are going to need some more scoring if they want to do it again. I wasnt at all impressed with their offensive zone work, but was extremely impressed with their work in their own end. With all the talk about their forecheck, I was more impressed with Vancouvers actually, and I think Calgary did play more of a trap than I thought they would have. They really bottled up the neutral zone and center of the ice. Played the game they had to play to win, Ottawa tried to play the same game, but were drained by the end to pull it off.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
I think tonight was Flames hockey at its truest sense. I know they got to the cup playing this style, but they are going to need some more scoring if they want to do it again. I wasnt at all impressed with their offensive zone work, but was extremely impressed with their work in their own end. With all the talk about their forecheck, I was more impressed with Vancouvers actually, and I think Calgary did play more of a trap than I thought they would have. They really bottled up the neutral zone and center of the ice. Played the game they had to play to win, Ottawa tried to play the same game, but were drained by the end to pull it off.
Offense is VERY scary for the Flames... I have nightmares about how it will all dry up when it really counts.

But... what do you do if your Darryl Sutter? I think Sutter really dropped the ball when Selanne came calling, but Sutter said "thanks but no thanks."

He gambled on Chris Simon producing, and so far, Simon hasn't done jack (but played alot better tonight). I hope Simon can take a look at Neil and wake up, but even as his biggest supporter, I'm having a hard time finding positives in his game.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Offense is VERY scary for the Flames... I have nightmares about how it will all dry up when it really counts.

But... what do you do if your Darryl Sutter? I think Sutter really dropped the ball when Selanne came calling, but Sutter said "thanks but no thanks."

He gambled on Chris Simon producing, and so far, Simon hasn't done jack (but played alot better tonight). I hope Simon can take a look at Neil and wake up, but even as his biggest supporter, I'm having a hard time finding positives in his game.

I agree, i dont think its anything that Calgary can do from within. They are playing the way they have to play to win, no doubt about it. I just think that with the pieces they have right now, it may not be enough. If Donovon can find some of his magic touch, or maybe Kobasew picks it up in the second half, but I think they are still a player short. I agree about Selanne too, but who couldve guessed he would find that magic again? Those are the risks you take

Old
12-11-2005, 01:06 AM
OilKiller

Just for fun, let me ask this of Sens fans.

In a best of 7 SCF, who would you rather play? The Flames or the Canucks? Who do you think the Sens would have the best chance against?

Just for fun.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I agree, i dont think its anything that Calgary can do from within. They are playing the way they have to play to win, no doubt about it. I just think that with the pieces they have right now, it may not be enough. If Donovon can find some of his magic touch, or maybe Kobasew picks it up in the second half, but I think they are still a player short. I agree about Selanne too, but who couldve guessed he would find that magic again? Those are the risks you take
If you watched Selanne in the world cup, it looked like the Selanne of old. I was really mad that we passed on Selanne when he singled out Calgary as a place he WANTED to play. And ONLY Calgary.

There's a couple players that are slumping now, that couple pick things up... Kobasew's playing hard, but is following the rest of the team in slumping. Reinprecht has a ton of talent, but is streaky... he needs to get some consistantcy. Langkow's finally rounding out, which is great... Amonte has been playing great, but could put up some more points. Simon is also expected to put up alot more goals, but I'm starting to lose hope. And of coarse, Iginla needs to start putting up some points, but he's historically a slow starter and usually is at his best from February on. On the D, both Leopold and Hamrlik have been dissapointing offensively, and could pick things up.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller

In a best of 7 SCF, who would you rather play? The Flames or the Canucks? Who do you think the Sens would have the best chance against?

Just for fun.
It's tough to say after only two games.

Unfortunately, those are the only two we'll be playing this year.

I'm sorry if it's a cop-out answer but it's true.

We lost both games in extra time but probably had no business earning a point in either.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Don Draper

Quote:

Just for fun.
Probably Calgary actually, I just think the lack of secondary scoring would hurt alot in a 7 game series. I wouldnt have a problem playing either though, and I think it will come down to one of those teams in the finals this year.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:10 AM
if-away

The flames offense is very sad. I wish we could get a true first line center to anchor Iginla and get the offense going. We won't make it deep in the playoffs without another true scorer, assuming Iginla wakes up and gets back in the zone.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:

Just for fun.
hmmmm fun eh?

cgy is a better playoff team, unless we get goaltending.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Air

My opinion? How can Flames fans live like this? I'm not one of the fans who thought it was boring (The Sens were playing -- impossible!), but that tension in the rink -- Oh my god, what if the Flames never score again?!, you take this game after game? Brave, brave souls.

I suppose you guys have experience in these games, whereas these type of games remind me of the playoffs and I can't tolerate much without going crazy. (Good crazy.) My heart-rate was elevated for most of the game ...

Old
12-11-2005, 01:16 AM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
My opinion? How can Flames fans live like this? I'm not one of the fans who thought it was boring (The Sens were playing -- impossible!), but that tension in the rink -- Oh my god, what if the Flames never score again?!, you take this game after game? Brave, brave souls.
It's tough, but we are used to it. I always thinkg the Flames will pull it out and more times than not, they do.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
if-away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
My heart-rate was elevated for most of the game ...
And that's why it's soooooooo good. The playoffs that the Flames had last year perhaps reduced at least a year out of my life due to the stress, pressure and uncertainty. We lost but man it sure was worth it.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air

I suppose you guys have experience in these games, whereas these type of games remind me of the playoffs and I can't tolerate much without going crazy. (Good crazy.) My heart-rate was elevated for most of the game ...
You believe

Honestly, after 7 years and getting your *** whopped by Coloumbus in their EXPANSION YEAR... you can take anything.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:20 AM
kolanos

Of course the Flames don't have the offensive firepower of the Sens. But it should be just as concerning to Sens fans that their top-line that produces most of their offense can be shutdown so effectively. Even the mighty Sens are rumored to be looking for more offense...

Old
12-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Of course the Flames don't have the offensive firepower of the Sens. But it should be just as concerning to Sens fans that their top-line that produces most of their offense can be shutdown so effectively. Even the mighty Sens are rumored to be looking for more offense...
Spezza was injured, and Heatley had a target on his forhead all night (welcome home, Dan )

Old
12-11-2005, 02:08 AM
allin4466

Vancouver. Just so my #1 fav team(ottawa) and my #2 team, are in the finals, and I cant be disappointed in the outcome.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Phanuthier*

Nothing on Andrew Ference leading the Flames in ice time?

I personally wasn't too surprised, but I thought everyone else would be.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Don Draper

Quote:

Maybe it should be more of a surprise, but I didnt feel like he did anything with it personally. That wasnt a jab, but besides a few rushes that didnt amount to anything, those minutes seemed pretty quiet. Regehr on the other hand, was a force in his own zone.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Maybe it should be more of a surprise, but I didnt feel like he did anything with it personally. That wasnt a jab, but besides a few rushes that didnt amount to anything, those minutes seemed pretty quiet. Regehr on the other hand, was a force in his own zone.
Well isn't it a good thing when you don't notice a defenseman?

Personally, I'd rather not notice a defenseman, because if you do, its probably not a good thing.

Especially against a team like Ottawa

Old
12-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Well isn't it a good thing when you don't notice a defenseman?

Personally, I'd rather not notice a defenseman, because if you do, its probably not a good thing.

Especially against a team like Ottawa
definitely, especially when its someone like Ference who can be prone for mistakes, and would be very costly against a team like Ottawa.

He played very well, just didnt stick out, which for him is a good thing.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Flash Walken

Quote:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=18759

Old
12-11-2005, 08:49 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:

Just for fun.
Flames hands down. THey aren't as talented as the Canucks.

With out team potentially healthy by the playoffs, I'm pretty sure that the Sens would take it easily.

Closed Thread