HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Havlat signed

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Havlat signed

1 year deal, no terms disclosed. Just announced on HNIC. Sounds like management and player split the difference to get this done.

Perhaps this will be the catalyst for Comrie?

Old
10-11-2003, 03:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
1 year deal, no terms disclosed. Just announced on HNIC. Sounds like management and player split the difference to get this done.

Perhaps this will be the catalyst for Comrie?
Beat me to it Digger. Interesting to see how this affects the league and RFAs still out there.

Old
10-11-2003, 03:11 PM
creative giant*

Curious to hear what the dollar figure is, because it should set a benchmark for a Comrie contract. Whether it is with the Oilers or his
new team.

Good for the Sens though!

Old
10-11-2003, 03:54 PM
serum114

Apparently the Sens were offering 1.2 and Havlat wanted 1.8. I imagine it will be in the 1.5-1.6 realm.

Interesting to see if a Comrie signing follows in short order. I hope so.

Old
10-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Apparently the Sens were offering 1.2 and Havlat wanted 1.8. I imagine it will be in the 1.5-1.6 realm.

Interesting to see if a Comrie signing follows in short order. I hope so.
According to the Hotstove, money isn't the issue with Comrie. They were mentioning that there's a lot of pressure for Comrie playing in his hometown. They mentioned something else that I can't remember.

10-11-2003, 04:42 PM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
According to the Hotstove, money isn't the issue with Comrie. They were mentioning that there's a lot of pressure for Comrie playing in his hometown. They mentioned something else that I can't remember.

Bah....I'm sick of hearing this "too much pressure" crap. He certainly didn't feel too much pressure when he pulled in what, $8mill the past 2 seasons?! Smyth and Salo were also criticized last year. Their still here. Time to say bye-bye to Comrie. Good riddance.....

Old
10-11-2003, 04:49 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
Bah....I'm sick of hearing this "too much pressure" crap. He certainly didn't feel too much pressure when he pulled in what, $8mill the past 2 seasons?! Smyth and Salo were also criticized last year. Their still here. Time to say bye-bye to Comrie. Good riddance.....
The damage.......is done.

We all know damn well that if Lowe would have bent over for Comrie last spring and gave him his extension on his existing contract, that Comrie would have been at camp and there would be no talk about too much pressure. Instead Lowe said "no" to extending the existing contract and then Comrie asked for a trade.

Now it's all the pressure, after the big mean bossman said some negative things. What a puss.....

Comrie realises now that he will get his arse booed no matter what transpires.

He's done here.

Old
10-11-2003, 04:58 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

KLowe on CBC right now, the jist of what he said:

They would like Comrie back, but of course, he doesn't know how it will work out, him and Rich haven't talked in a few days because he's been away, but will hopefully talk this week. The usual stuff, not sure if him saying they want him back is a ploy for public support or the truth, hope it's the truth. Also said some nice things about Mike. C'mon guys, get this guy in the lineup, let's have as good a year and as good a lineup as possible.

Old
10-11-2003, 05:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

We all know damn well that if Lowe would have bent over for Comrie last spring and gave him his extension on his existing contract, that Comrie would have been at camp and there would be no talk about too much pressure. Instead Lowe said "no" to extending the existing contract and then Comrie asked for a trade.

Now it's all the pressure, after the big mean bossman said some negative things. What a puss.....

He's done here.

They should've signed an extension, or at least negotiated rather than *supposedly* telling Winter and Comrie to "get lost", As Dan Barnes reported.

Comrie has never publicly said anything about the pressure in Edmonton. He may have privately, but it could also be 100% speculation or spin, who really knows. He just doesn't strike me as being that kind of player.

Any idiots who wanna boo a guy that'll put up 70 points can go right ahead and look dumb.

I hope he isn't done, because odds are we're getting jack and a word I can't say here in return.

Old
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
KLowe on CBC right now, the jist of what he said:

They would like Comrie back, but of course, he doesn't know how it will work out, him and Rich haven't talked in a few days because he's been away, but will hopefully talk this week. The usual stuff, not sure if him saying they want him back is a ploy for public support or the truth, hope it's the truth. Also said some nice things about Mike. C'mon guys, get this guy in the lineup, let's have as good a year and as good a lineup as possible.
Lowe said as little as he had to...MacLean prodded him a bit, but not too hard. A fairly blah interview.

Old
10-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Come on comrie you little pansy! All I have to say is, if you want to be paid millions of dollars to play the game you love in your home town nonetheless, you better suck it up and perform.

Old
10-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

He's done here.
Does anyone know that Comrie has asked for a trade. This crap "Comrie asked for a trade" is really getting annoying. It's Robin Brownlee and a lot of fans that want Comrie out of town. If Comrie is traded, fans will want Lowe's head and he'll recieve death threats like after the Carter and Niinimaa trades. One person said that the team has been going down ever since the 1999-00 season. It's also interesting that's the year Lowe took over that this person said the team is going down. Lowe can't do anything without some fans criticizing him. No wonder there's rumours that no one want to play in Edmonton. It's because of the negativity of the fans.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Does anyone know that Comrie has asked for a trade. This crap "Comrie asked for a trade" is really getting annoying. It's Robin Brownlee and a lot of fans that want Comrie out of town. If Comrie is traded, fans will want Lowe's head and he'll recieve death threats like after the Carter and Niinimaa trades. One person said that the team has been going down ever since the 1999-00 season. It's also interesting that's the year Lowe took over that this person said the team is going down. Lowe can't do anything without some fans criticizing him. No wonder there's rumours that no one want to play in Edmonton. It's because of the negativity of the fans.

True that, I think that most Oiler fans while the most educated in hockey and hockey economics, are the most whiney as well. I'm not talking about all the fans but a majority of the boo-birds pull the double standards of accusing certain players *cough* comrie *cough* of being whiney when it is they themselves who should take a long look in the mirror.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:11 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
True that, I think that most Oiler fans while the most educated in hockey and hockey economics, are the most whiney as well. I'm not talking about all the fans but a majority of the boo-birds pull the double standards of accusing certain players *cough* comrie *cough* of being whiney when it is they themselves who should take a long look in the mirror.
did you just say that us fans are more whiney than a millionaire who cant take pressure?? i KNOW you just didnt say that, adn if you did i think *you* have to take a long look in the mirror

and to comment on another post in this thread.... the reason that nobody wants to play in edmonton, or any other small market team for that matter, is because the players know they wont get a fat contract here, they know that they have to earn their money, and they know that if they *do* earn this money, they will then have to get traded somewhere else to actually get *paid* that money.... its a problem with the economics of the NHL... for love of christ dont blame me... the fan. the fan who cares a ***** of a lot more about his team than probably most of the players playing on it do.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
did you just say that us fans are more whiney than a millionaire who cant take pressure?? i KNOW you just didnt say that, adn if you did i think *you* have to take a long look in the mirror

and to comment on another post in this thread.... the reason that nobody wants to play in edmonton, or any other small market team for that matter, is because the players know they wont get a fat contract here, they know that they have to earn their money, and they know that if they *do* earn this money, they will then have to get traded somewhere else to actually get *paid* that money.... its a problem with the economics of the NHL... for love of christ dont blame me... the fan. the fan who cares a ***** of a lot more about his team than probably most of the players playing on it do.
Why don't you try telling that to Poti and Arnott. They were strictly traded because of the fan. Slats actually asked Arnott if it was OK to trade him because the fans booed him. Lowe didn't, I repeat didn't want to trade Poti but was forced too because of the fans and Terry Jones basically boing him out of town.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:16 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Why don't you try telling that to Poti and Arnott. They were strictly traded because of the fan. Slats actually asked Arnott if it was OK to trade him because the fans booed him. Lowe didn't, I repeat didn't want to trade Poti but was forced too because of the fans and Terry Jones basically boing him out of town.
your gonna tell me that lowe traded poti because of the FANS?? sure the fans didnt like poti (justifiably so) but the last time i looked i didnt control what my girlfriend did, let alone what the general manager of the edmonton oilers did..... if this was the case why havent us fans forced lowe to do other things, like sign weight or guerin? why is it that the fans have only forced (or caused) lowe to do negative things in your opinion? if we really have that much power, we could have just demanded that lowe sign weight.... oh i forgot, we *did* demand that eh sign weight, but i guess our ming-control powers must not have worked that time (maybe it was a bug in my KLC software "Kevin Lowe Controller", it was in its early development then)... the fans cant make lowe do anything he doesnt want to do, as shown by the weight and guerin trades, two players that the fans desperately wanted to stay in edmonton... this is just ridiculous, im not even gonna bother with commenting on the fans in this thread anymore, ill keep it to the other thread that has gone this way

Old
10-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

What about the death threats he received after Carter and Niinimaa were traded. I'm sure you're going to say the fans aren't at fault here either.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:47 AM
speeds

Havlat signed for 1.6 mil. Kind of kills the theory that Comrie is worth 2.5 mil a year.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
gb701

Like everything else, this whole problem is more complicated than we can answer by blaming one side or the fans or whatever. Winter's negotiating style sucks and his expectations for Comrie are unrealistic; Comrie needs to suck it up in response to criticism from fans or even from Lowe; Lowe needs to make more effort to salvage one of his most productive players who has shown plenty of heart and effort; the fans need to give it a rest and let the thing work out, etc. etc.

Edmonton has enough challenges keeping talent without all the added crap going on here.

If last night's performance was any indication, if we can't sign him, we had better move him to someone who can in return for some scoring.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:13 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Havlat signed for 1.6 mil. Kind of kills the theory that Comrie is worth 2.5 mil a year.
$1.6 mil, plus bonuses. He can go to arbs next year, while MC doesn't have that right for 2 years.

"And while the 22-year-old was prepared to sit as long as it took to receive the $2 million (all terms US) he felt he deserved, the fourth-year player opted for a $1.6-million deal with bonuses, the largest single-year contract in the history of the NHL for a player who is graduating from an entry-level contract."

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...0-12-0140.html

(sry - this link is only good for today - i couldn't find the story on slam)

Old
10-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Jamie

Blah blah blah, yackity schmackity. Please guys, we've done this Comrie thing over and over again. We don't know what's going to happen, we all have our own opinion, but all in all we don't know. I hope I'm not alone on this one, but all this Comrie talk is just plain annoying and senseless at this point. If you guys feel the need to continue talking about Comrie every day, go ahead, I obivously can't stop you, but don't you think you've beat the mule enough?

Closed Thread