HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How has Andrej Mezsaros been playing?

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2005, 02:42 PM
bossy

vCash: 500
How has Andrej Mezsaros been playing?

I followed him with the Giants.I've seen him a couple times on HNIC,looked like he's fitting right in.Just wanted to get the local fans prospective.

Old
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He's been amazing, considering he was just 19 when the season began. I actually wouldn't have minded him being sent down after training camp to save a little money, get him more ice time in Bingo, and because of the Sens possible waiver problem, but after seeing him play more, he definately deserves to be here. So poised with the puck and rarely makes a mistake in his own zone.

Old
11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Most of us were expecting him to be sent down, but he played so well that management just had to keep him.

The ultimate was his 3 games in 3 nights virtuoso pre-season performance, capped with him being the best player on the ice despite playing 27 minutes in that third game.

He plays textbook defence, in that he rubs guys out without using the stick. He's also a pretty good skater, passer, and knows when to use the low snap shot from the point instead of the big slapper.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Don Draper

as an example, hes playing better hockey as a rookie than Redden was. Nuff said

Old
11-15-2005, 03:09 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
as an example, hes playing better hockey as a rookie than Redden was. Nuff said
Oh Jesus...good point.

That just put it into perspecive for me.

Good job.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:11 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
That just put it into perspective for me.
Want me to BLOW your mind?

Think about how many above average defencemen of the past are looking mediocre to awful in the new NHL, with the obstruction no longer allowed?

You no longer have the "get out of a jam free" card in hauling the guy around with your stick.

Makes Andrej look even more impressive

Old
11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
bossy

Thanks,guys.
When he played junior in Vancouver,you could tell he was a lock for the NHL.He was a man among boys!Great to hear that he's fitting in! He could leave for the world Juniors',will the Sens let him go?

Old
11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
You can blow me when ever you want.

You're right...that's another really good point as well.

Man oh man...I need to be much more insightful.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy
He could leave for the world Juniors',will the Sens let him go?
I think after playing in the Olympics, the World Juniors would be a bit of a letdown

Bergeron's the only guy I can think of who played in both senior and junior tournaments in the same year, and that's only because of the lockout.

Old
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
bert

He is actually to old for the world juniors, he is an 85 so he is not eligible. So he will be sticking with the sens for the whole season.

Old
11-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil

You can blow me when ever you want.
i actually did lol as i read that, in fact it was practically a spit take....

Old
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
bossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
He is actually to old for the world juniors, he is an 85 so he is not eligible. So he will be sticking with the sens for the whole season.
He could still play a year in the CHL.Is there different age restrictions for the WJC?

Old
11-15-2005, 10:17 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

To be fair to Redden, the Sens team he played on as a rookie wasn't quite as good as this one.

Old
11-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy
He could still play a year in the CHL.Is there different age restrictions for the WJC?
It's the same age restrictions for both. If he had played in the CHL, he would have had to have played as an Overager. It's based on the year you were born, and this year, 1985-born players are overagers in the CHL, and ineligible for the WJC. The WJC this year, is for players born in 1986-1989.

Old
11-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Keogh
It's the same age restrictions for both. If he had played in the CHL, he would have had to have played as an Overager. It's based on the year you were born, and this year, 1985-born players are overagers in the CHL, and ineligible for the WJC. The WJC this year, is for players born in 1986-1989.
I know the cut off date for the NHL draft is Sept 15th of the year but is this also the case for WJC or is it on a calendar year basis?

Old
11-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
I know the cut off date for the NHL draft is Sept 15th of the year but is this also the case for WJC or is it on a calendar year basis?
Calendar year. That's why for example, Malkin is eligible to play in the WJC this year, but Ovechkin is not. Malkin's birthday: July 31st, 1986. Ovechkin's birthday: September 17th, 1985.

Old
11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Keogh
Calendar year. That's why for example, Malkin is eligible to play in the WJC this year, but Ovechkin is not. Malkin's birthday: July 31st, 1986. Ovechkin's birthday: September 17th, 1985.
Thanks.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Gonchar

Mezsaros is a +17 this year. That is tied for 4th best in the NHL. Sens have the top 5 +/- guys in the NHL.

Old
11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Leb_Hitch*

You think it would be smart for Sens Management to lock him up for 5 years.

Old
11-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Pangu

He will still be on a rookie contract... the difficult part is getting him locked after the five years

Old
11-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by speztacular
You think it would be smart for Sens Management to lock him up for 5 years.
Well, he really can't go anywhere for 7. We'll have him for cheap for most of that time. Hopefully him and Brian Lee can step up once one of the big horses takes off.

Old
11-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchar
Mezsaros is a +17 this year. That is tied for 4th best in the NHL. Sens have the top 5 +/- guys in the NHL.
Well, to be fair his +/- is a little better than a few of the other Sens D because Mez isn't typically matched up against the other team's top line - which is usually left for Chara-Phillips. However, Meszaros has played with Redden a few times, and has seen some tough match-ups in those instances (not to mention on the road when Murray can't control match-ups as well).

I think it's fair to say we're all pretty pumped about his potential. He has shown a few really nice offensive moves in the last few games (albeit, with a few more defensive hick-ups than earlier in the season), and hopefully he will continue to improve to the point he is really comfortable come playoffs.

I'd say he is tracking to be a great top-pairing guy down the road, with #1 d-man potential, and worst case, we have a solid top-4 guy for a long-time.

Old
11-18-2005, 04:18 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

He's been impressive eh. I felt on some road matchups, the other teams were keying on him as a weak spot. He's been getting his feet wet.

It's really impressive when you think that many teams are shuffling players between the farm club and back overnight trying to save a couple thousand dollars a day. We could of easily sent him down saving maybe half a million dollars. I was certain the business decision would trump the hockey decision and they would send him down or keep him from getting 40 games. It's kinda exciting I was wrong.

I guess he is just too good to hold back. All he needs is getting comfortable at NHL speed I suppose. Developing him earlier if we can is usually a sign he will be elite. I dont think any of our defensemen looked as good as he does at his age. Its exciting to think what he might develop into. I think the sky's the limit

Old
11-18-2005, 04:30 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Meszaros would go top 5 if the draft was redone, no question in my mind.

He was a stud the first time I saw him in a Giants uniform, and he completely dominated most of the games I went to last season.

My Meszaros Giants jersey will be a collectors item in a few years .

That was the toughest jersey to find, but well worth it. Its going to fun to see him step up as Ottawa won't be able to keep that d-core together forever.

Old
11-18-2005, 04:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Meszaros had a bit of a rough time defensively last night but he showed his offensive ability. He put a real nice move on someone at the blueline but missed the net with his shot.

Closed Thread