HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The one thing that....

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 04:45 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
The one thing that....

The one thing that we knew the Caps couldn't survive was an injury to Gonchar or Witt. It took two games. No word on how long Witt will be out but 3 of the 4 goals against were defensive breakdowns. a -4 for Gruden looks painful too. the road trip beckons. how many do you think they can win on this trip?

Old
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
What happened to Witt?

Old
10-11-2003, 05:58 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
What happened to Witt?
busted his face into the lip of the dasher boards. bloody and unsteady going off....it could be just stitches....lost teeth....broken jaw....broken facial bones....concussion....a combination.

Old
10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Man, Berry is the closest thing we have to witt but cassidy wont play him...this is a huge loss. Maybe this will force GMGM to make a move? I think we could move lang.

Miller-Gordon-Jagr (cassidy isnt goign to change this)
Bondra-Zubrus-Grier
Konowalchuk-Halpern-Willsie
Semin-Sutherby-Peat/Pettinger

Old
10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
busted his face into the lip of the dasher boards. bloody and unsteady going off....it could be just stitches....lost teeth....broken jaw....broken facial bones....concussion....a combination.

OUCH, sorry to read that, txpd.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:07 AM
txpd

Robert Lang has been on the market and there were no takers. With the Caps even MORE desperate for a defenseman, who is going to make that deal? no sale.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
If Witt is gone long term GMGM absolutely HAS to make a move. There's no way we can survive the season with one veteran defenseman. That is just faaaaar too much to ask of this team right now.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
If Witt is gone long term GMGM absolutely HAS to make a move. There's no way we can survive the season with one veteran defenseman. That is just faaaaar too much to ask of this team right now.
That's true. You realize that in that bargaining position mcphee would be in about the same spot that bobby clarke was when he needed adam oates. you remember that mcphee held him up for a steep price. Lets hope that Witt has a headache and 6 stitches and is ready to play on monday or tuesday.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Weary

Quote:
That's true. You realize that in that bargaining position mcphee would be in about the same spot that bobby clarke was when he needed adam oates. you remember that mcphee held him up for a steep price. Lets hope that Witt has a headache and 6 stitches and is ready to play on monday or tuesday.
Let's hope indeed. McPhee is actually in a worse position than Clarke in that the Flyers didn't mind picking up Oates' salary. Any deal McPhee makes has to reduce salary or Ted won't let him do it. We could end up giving up a lot of talent to acquire some journeyman.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:56 PM
I_r_1337

uummmm I hope you guys arn't or wern't expecting a good season. Why blow the team up to replace Witt. If we struggle without him oh well nobodies expecting much. Just battle through it until he comes back.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:57 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Robert Lang has been on the market and there were no takers. With the Caps even MORE desperate for a defenseman, who is going to make that deal? no sale.
Maybe a team that thought they were well off in center and after the season started realized they needed a good one?

Old
10-12-2003, 02:10 PM
littleHossa

The defence's all right, Kwiatkowski's leading the NHL in +/- with +4

Old
10-12-2003, 03:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary
Let's hope indeed. McPhee is actually in a worse position than Clarke in that the Flyers didn't mind picking up Oates' salary. Any deal McPhee makes has to reduce salary or Ted won't let him do it. We could end up giving up a lot of talent to acquire some journeyman.
That is correct. So, why press for McPhee to make a deal? Its not going to happen.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
The defence's all right, Kwiatkowski's leading the NHL in +/- with +4
whoopie. remember that Kiwi is in Ken Klee's old spot which is very plus minus friendly. Partner with Gonchar who plays every Jagr shift. It worked so well for Klee that he actually took a pay cut to get a job this year. After Gonchar and with Witt injuried what other proven NHL defenseman do the Capitals have? AND, if you are looking at the plus/minus, did you notice Gruden's -4 and Doig's -2 last night?

Old
10-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Weary

Quote:
That is correct. So, why press for McPhee to make a deal? Its not going to happen.
I agree 100% that McPhee shouldn't be pressured. But it might happen because the only party who can pressure McPhee has a quite unrealistic view of the team. I think if Olie goes public once about the lack of D on the Caps, McPhee will get his marching orders the next day. The Caps recent history of moves has been reactive rather than proactive.

Old
10-12-2003, 04:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
I agree 100% that McPhee shouldn't be pressured. But it might happen because the only party who can pressure McPhee has a quite unrealistic view of the team. I think if Olie goes public once about the lack of D on the Caps, McPhee will get his marching orders the next day. The Caps recent history of moves has been reactive rather than proactive.
I don't see it the same way. The Caps have defense on the cheap because Ted said so. Ted knows the team has 2 quality dmen, 1 promising rookie and 4 career minor leaguers on defense. Ted knows that the Caps marketed Jagr and Lang and received no viable offers in that area. I think the coach is on the block before the gm is right now.
Frankly the Caps defensive problems are nothing that a healthy Gonchar and Witt and one other veteran defenseman couldn't make work. If Jagr keeps clicking and the rest of the teams money players keep putting forth good efforts every night and producing, neither Cassidy nor McPhee will lose their jobs. I don't see Ted and Dick Patrick deciding to blow McPhee out if they are losing because Doig, Kwiatkowski, Gruden, and Boumedienne prove that all the NHL teams that have let them pass thru were right that they are not NHL defensemen.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Weary

I'm not saying that Ted would get rid of McPhee, just that he would force the GM to get a defenseman. Ted's decisions are typically reactive. Everyone could see the defensive problems on the horizon except for, seemingly, Ted. His "no free agents" edict ensured that the Caps would not acquire the veteran defensman that you mention. But somehow paying Nylander $2.6 million was acceptable. I have a hard time believing that was a McPhee decision and not a Leonsis one.

If the Caps do try to acquire a defenseman it will be because Ted is reacting to something. My original speculation was that it would be Olie's complaints. By reacting rather than planning, the Caps are always going to be behind the curve.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
I'm not saying that Ted would get rid of McPhee, just that he would force the GM to get a defenseman. Ted's decisions are typically reactive. Everyone could see the defensive problems on the horizon except for, seemingly, Ted. His "no free agents" edict ensured that the Caps would not acquire the veteran defensman that you mention. But somehow paying Nylander $2.6 million was acceptable. I have a hard time believing that was a McPhee decision and not a Leonsis one.

If the Caps do try to acquire a defenseman it will be because Ted is reacting to something. My original speculation was that it would be Olie's complaints. By reacting rather than planning, the Caps are always going to be behind the curve.
That was less than the arbitrator would have awarded and as such a good signing. With the Caps trying to move Lang, keeping Nylander was required. If they can't trade Lang, they can trade Nylander if they have to trade someone. They would not have resigned Nylander had he been a UFA. But as an asset they were not going to give him away.
McPhee has signalled several times that "young guys" would get a shot in the first portion of the season. IF they can handle it "good for them and good for us". If they can not, they will look at the trade market.
The Caps are going to give the cheap labor a chance to show they can make it. Its a guarantee that all 4 of those career minor leaguers will not make it. McPhee's comments were made long ago and requoted during camp. That is the game plan. If Kiwi, Boume, Doig and Gruden prove to be AHL guys, McPhee will go out and get one of the may veteran defensemen on the market between Thanksgiving and New Year.
There are a record number of players in the last year of a multi year deal or working on a one year deal. There will be a lot of Ken Klee, Glen Wesley quality defensemen available around that time.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Weary

Quote:
That was less than the arbitrator would have awarded and as such a good signing. With the Caps trying to move Lang, keeping Nylander was required. If they can't trade Lang, they can trade Nylander if they have to trade someone. They would not have resigned Nylander had he been a UFA. But as an asset they were not going to give him away.
So now Nylander can be traded for a Klee type. That's effectively the same as signing Klee instead of Nylander. That's if a deal like that can actually be done now. With the prerequisite to a trade being the Caps defense in a shambles, McPhee will be dealing from a position of weakness.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
So now Nylander can be traded for a Klee type. That's effectively the same as signing Klee instead of Nylander. That's if a deal like that can actually be done now. With the prerequisite to a trade being the Caps defense in a shambles, McPhee will be dealing from a position of weakness.
While that's true, it is, as I mentioned, a fall back point. The first choice was to reduce payroll by moving Lang who is the more expensive of the players. I think that getting a $1.5m - $2.5m defenseman in a trade won't be near as expensive as that once the season reaches a certain point. McPhee's bargaining position is bad, but by December it will be a buyers market for those players.

Closed Thread