HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

? about nylander

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
heywood*

vCash: 500
? about nylander

can he even finish in morning skate?

is he the worst finisher in the entire league?

Old
11-16-2005, 07:21 AM
eco's bones

It would be nice if Nylander were more the goal scorer. He isn't. He likes to pass. As it happens he has a fair amount of shots though this year. I have a hunch he's being pressured to shoot more. In any case Michael was brought in to feed Jagr primarily and it's not a secret the kind of player he is and has been.

Old
11-16-2005, 08:33 AM
JerseyRangers

Nylander has always been a much better passer than finisher. Got no problem with that. I wouldn't be playing Jagr with two passers; thats overkill. Need to get somebody on that line that can go into the corners, cycle the puck and occasionally finish a good pass. Jagr is a much better passer than most people give him credit for. Put another forward that can finish on his line and that line becomes more dangerous.

Old
11-16-2005, 08:44 AM
heywood*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
Nylander has always been a much better passer than finisher. Got no problem with that. I wouldn't be playing Jagr with two passers; thats overkill. Need to get somebody on that line that can go into the corners, cycle the puck and occasionally finish a good pass. Jagr is a much better passer than most people give him credit for. Put another forward that can finish on his line and that line becomes more dangerous.
i completely agree. that was brutal last night. twice, within 3 minutes, jagr put the puck on nylander's stick in the crease with the goal essentially vacant. i was speechless at how bad nylander is at just deflecting a puck into an open net.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers

Say it with me.... P R U C H A ! ! !

And Jagr is a GREAT passer. A better passer than he is a finisher.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
eco's bones

It's hard not to agree with that. Finding a player with size, that will go into the corners and cycle and finish off plays might not be easy. Missing Rucinsky who was finishing enough to keep other teams honest in respect to just concentrating on Jagr hurts. Another problem moving Straka to the 2nd line means you move Prucha or Nieminen up to the 1st. I'm not sure Prucha is ready or that Nieminen belongs on a first line. So it's either a trade or go with what you got and hope Rucinsky hasn't lost his touch when he returns.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Fletch

Jagr is a better passer...

but he figured out quickly that if his team is going to score, he's going to have to put it away himself. And he's done that very well. Nylander's been a good playmaker. It is frustrating that he hasn't been able to put home some very easy chances. With those kinds of chances, I don't care if you're a 'finisher' or not, they need to be buried.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood

Honestly don't think he had a single opertunity last night to prove his finishing skills. Pretty typical, he misses allot in one game and after that everyone is like little girls on here. "oohhh he missess again my my"....

The guys is not a clutch scorer, never will be. He have a decent shot when he have room to get it of.

Also on the so called "close in attempts", thoose goes both ways. How many did Toronto have last night? Its not like we have one guy on our team that don't score in situations where everyone else in the league would score, far from it.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:56 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Honestly don't think he had a single opertunity last night to prove his finishing skills. Pretty typical, he misses allot in one game and after that everyone is like little girls on here. "oohhh he missess again my my"....

The guys is not a clutch scorer, never will be. He have a decent shot when he have room to get it of.

Also on the so called "close in attempts", thoose goes both ways. How many did Toronto have last night? Its not like we have one guy on our team that don't score in situations where everyone else in the league would score, far from it.
I think you're giving him too much credit. Nylander is very good at certain parts of the game, but he can't shoot AT ALL. He's missed a ton of good chances close to the net this year... and I don't mean the goalie made a great saved. He either can't get the shot off or shoots wide. And from farther out he's even worse. He's got no power on any of his shots.

Seems to me like he's got a really weak lower body. He's great when the puck is right at his feet, and Sam/JD have pointed out how he plays straight up. But when the puck gets a little farther away and you need to use your lower body (like when you shoot) he's got no power.

But, he's a great passer and he's smart as hell. He's a perfect center for Jagr. The problem is the other winger needs to score more. Straka gets his shot blocked 90% of the time, missed that breakaway last night.

Old
11-16-2005, 02:12 PM
BwayBshirt

i'm sure when rucinsky returns to the lineup our "finishing ability" and pp will look much better.

Old
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Taz

Nylander has done what i predicted in terms of Scoring, he is a passer and doesnt have that goal scoring mentality, Thats why u need someone with a great finishing ability Rucinsky is OK at it but he will get about 25 goals this year Nylander maybe 15-20 u want someone who could put 30+ in there which we do not have and Prucha isnt that either.

Old
11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Blueshirt Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11
i'm sure when rucinsky returns to the lineup our "finishing ability" and pp will look much better.
I agree with you on this, especially after watching last night's game. There were a couple of plays where the Blueshirts needed to finish the play and get a couple of goals.

Old
11-16-2005, 04:18 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood

He will come fine he is mostly a passer. untile he gets it together just pass the puck to jagr he will barry it.

Old
11-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
As a Caps fan I would like to help you guys out on the scouting report for Nylander....the man will look at all 5 other players on the ice for the pass (yes im including the goalie) before he takes a shot even then he gives a 2nd look the the top 2 others on the ice. But the man can put the puck on anyones stick from just about anywhere and through anything. With Jags hes great!

Old
11-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

What you see is what you get. Nylander is a player who looks to pass first and will only shoot if he has either a sure thing or absolutely nothing else to do with the puck. He was brought here to feed the puck to Jagr and so far has been doing exactly that.

As others have said, what is needed to make Jagr's line really dangerous is a player who can play in the corners and crash the net looking for rebounds, plus doesn't have hands of stone. Right now, we don't have anyone who fits that desciption. So, Renney will have to play it by ear and should move players in and out of the line during a game. Even when Rucisky comes back, players like Prucha (who's strength in this situation comes from being a right-handed shot), Moore and Niminen should all get an occasional shift. Maybe even Hossa if he can play LW (don't know if he's done that much in his career. Heck, let Hollweg get a shift or two, it won't hurt and maybe they will get a garbage goal or two because of the energy they bring (or in Hossa's case, the uncanny ability to let the puck find him and shoot it).

Old
11-16-2005, 11:30 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
the man just hates the shoot the puck.

Old
11-18-2005, 04:51 AM
Grodan

You dont understand. Nylander scores his goals by transporting the puck into the net.
He is also really good at putting the puck in the empty net when the opponents have pulled their goalie

In this way he can score 20-25 goals a seasong

He is as much a shooter as he is a physical player (that check on Lindros, was it in the olympics? was probobly just an accident)

Closed Thread