HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

staal?

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 04:32 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
staal?

i was over at the prospects board and some guy was asking about staal vs. hemsky in a fantasy draft, and this got me thinking... hes a center, supposed ot be good offensivly, and hes 6 foot, not that heavy yet, but hes only 18, so he'll fill out

would this be a decent trade? like maybe comrie for staal + carolina's 1st pick this year, or something like that .... or is carolina to in love with this guy to pry him outa there

Old
10-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i was over at the prospects board and some guy was asking about staal vs. hemsky in a fantasy draft, and this got me thinking... hes a center, supposed ot be good offensivly, and hes 6 foot, not that heavy yet, but hes only 18, so he'll fill out

would this be a decent trade? like maybe comrie for staal + carolina's 1st pick this year, or something like that .... or is carolina to in love with this guy to pry him outa there
Maybe Comrie for Staal. No way would we get both him and a pick.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:43 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
you see... this is the EXACT thinking that i fear will get the oilers into trouble with the comrie trade.... if he ends up getting traded for prospects (which is a pretty good bet i think) i can see some hot-shot prospect going straight for comrie.... and this would be a TRAVESTY.... comrie has scored 30+ goals in the NHL..... while these prospects havent done anything in the NHL yet... comrie is EASILY worth a player who hasnt done anything yet

im very worried about such an occurance

Old
10-10-2003, 04:47 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
you see... this is the EXACT thinking that i fear will get the oilers into trouble with the comrie trade.... if he ends up getting traded for prospects (which is a pretty good bet i think) i can see some hot-shot prospect going straight for comrie.... and this would be a TRAVESTY.... comrie has scored 30+ goals in the NHL..... while these prospects havent done anything in the NHL yet... comrie is EASILY worth a player who hasnt done anything yet

I can't believe u don't know who Staal is. *gasp*
P.S. I doubt Carolina would trade straight up for him

Old
10-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:

I am too, but Carolina looks at Staal's potential, and possibly a franchise player, so you would have to overpay to get him, even if he could turn out to be a bust.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
you see... this is the EXACT thinking that i fear will get the oilers into trouble with the comrie trade.... if he ends up getting traded for prospects (which is a pretty good bet i think) i can see some hot-shot prospect going straight for comrie.... and this would be a TRAVESTY....
Well, not just any prospect, but I would take comrie for stall straight-up. Stall is a player

Old
10-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
More like Comrie + 1st for Staal, he is going nowhere.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Seachd

Quote:

If Comrie got traded for someone like Staal, it would be an amazing trade for Edmonton. That said, I can almost guarantee Carolina wouldn't do it. Most teams are extremely high on their young prospects, especially the top-level ones like Staal.

This team could use some hot-shot prospects going into 2004.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:21 PM
jadeddog

lol, i know who staal is, i just dont think that ANY unproven player is worth comrie straight up.... maybe ive been bitten once too many times by 1st round oiler picks that did NOTHING, but i just dont trust these "highly touted" picks until i see them actually accomplish something

in my opinion i think that the oilers should get somebody that is already a proven player, because a very good proven player (comrie) is worth much more than a great unproven player

Old
10-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
More like Comrie + 1st for Staal, he is going nowhere.
Lowe would never do that or else he would have done it at the deadline when teams were calling him up. Staal is in no way worth Comrie and a 1st. Comrie is worth a first himself.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Hemsky01

I don't think the Hurricanes want to trade Staal but I think they are very interested in Comrie. I would like to see the deal explanded because the Hurricanes have 8 NHL dmen right now. What do you think of?

Comrie, Rita

for

Staal, St.Jacques or Wallin

I think both of those dmen would be an improvement. I would love Markov in that deal. I know he makes a lot of dough but Staal doesn't make nearly what Comrie would so there would be a trade off.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Lowe would never do that or else he would have done it at the deadline when teams were calling him up. Staal is in no way worth Comrie and a 1st. Comrie is worth a first himself.
I know, but that is what it would take to pry him out of Carolina, a massive overpay. Just being realistic.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:15 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
I know, but that is what it would take to pry him out of Carolina, a massive overpay. Just being realistic.
And that's why you don't trade for him.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:37 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And that's why you don't trade for him.

I don't know, Carolina (Hartford) traded Pronger in his rookie year for Shanahan straight up, I remember they wanted to shoot Keenan in St. Louis, but look at that result, perhaps Carolina would do the same for Comrie, then everyone in Edmonton would want to murder Lowe, although reading through this board at times it already seems that way, anyhow,I would go for it...it's not like Comrie wants to play play for us, a top notch and only top notch prospect would do...

Old
10-11-2003, 08:55 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
lol, i know who staal is, i just dont think that ANY unproven player is worth comrie straight up.... maybe ive been bitten once too many times by 1st round oiler picks that did NOTHING, but i just dont trust these "highly touted" picks until i see them actually accomplish something

in my opinion i think that the oilers should get somebody that is already a proven player, because a very good proven player (comrie) is worth much more than a great unproven player
The problem with this line of thinking is that guys like Staal go from unproven players to proven players very quickly, and once they do they're impossible to get.

If you trade Comrie for a proven player, it won't be a great proven player. It'll be an ok proven player, or maybe even a pretty good proven player if we're lucky. Our only chance to get a *great* player back in a Comrie trade is to deal for a prospect and then hope he develops.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Comrie for Staal and a 1st rounder.........no way.

Staal for Comrie and a 1st rounder.......quite possible.

Staal is their top line centre already, centering francis and o'neill, It would be very difficult to convince Carolina to trade this guy, Im not saying it's impossible, but just imagine how many other team boards are wondering about Hemsky, and I think we all know how untouchable Hemsky is. (so I hope)

Old
10-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Cerebral

Very seldom do teams trade away their first round selection less than a year after they draft him; especially if they're very high on him as Carolina is on Staal. There is no way Carolina would part with him, possibly not even for a massive overpay. They invision him as their future captain and a cornerstone to build upon.. while they might want Comrie, they won't give up Staal. I think we'd have better luck going after Vasicek + a prospect..

Old
10-11-2003, 09:19 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Yeah, but I find the idea of getting Vasicek about as exciting as a bowl of soggy cornflakes. I'm hoping Lowe will just hang tight and not move Comrie until he sees a chance to get a truly high-end prospect or young player.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Yeah, but I find the idea of getting Vasicek about as exciting as a bowl of soggy cornflakes. I'm hoping Lowe will just hang tight and not move Comrie until he sees a chance to get a truly high-end prospect or young player.
Heh i tend to agree.. the only downfall to this idea is that if the Oilers start to struggle, Lowe's bargaining position starts to fall with Comrie. I'm hoping we get a nice little winning streak going here off the bat and force Comrie into signing..

Old
10-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Heh i tend to agree.. the only downfall to this idea is that if the Oilers start to struggle, Lowe's bargaining position starts to fall with Comrie. I'm hoping we get a nice little winning streak going here off the bat and force Comrie into signing..
I agree with OGE completely. I don't think Lowe has to worry about his bargaining position anymore, and is focusing more on trying to get the most in return for Comrie when he has to trade him. That's what I think is happening, anyway. So even if the Oilers win the next 15, I don't see how it would force Comrie to sign.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:35 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie

Staal is their top line centre already, centering francis and o'neill, It would be very difficult to convince Carolina to trade this guy, Im not saying it's impossible, but just imagine how many other team boards are wondering about Hemsky, and I think we all know how untouchable Hemsky is. (so I hope)
I wonder what Carolina's opinion would be if we inquired I would like something like this more
Tomas Malec+Eric Staal for Comrie+1st pick+Cross still overpaying but not as much.

realistic trade-
Vasicek+Malek+3rd pick for Comrie+Cross(Carolina is short on d and just trying to get rid of Cross)

lines after

Smyth-York-Isbister(Smyth Isbister work on their chemistry and IZZY prefers RW)
Dvorak-Vasicek-Hemsky(czech line Dvo can play LW)
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Malec-Smith(Malec might need seasoning but should spend some time in the NHL offensive d-man for the future)
Staios-MABergeron

edit-damn a little slow turned into a Vasicek bash thread before I could submit

Old
10-11-2003, 10:03 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie

yeah your right, hemsky is pretty much untouchable... but there is a VERY big difference between hemsky and staal.... hemsky has 30+ points in this league and has shown (albeit in small doses) that he can play at a very high level....

hands up everybody who has seen staal dominate an NHL game... yeah didnt think so... im not saying this wont happen, but until it does, hes just a kid trying to make it

Old
10-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
hands up everybody who has seen staal dominate an NHL game... yeah didnt think so...
He looked very impressive in the pre-season and I'd go so far as to say dominant. While that's certainly not the same as a regular season NHL game, he played against a lot of NHL regulars and didn't look out of place at all. While I understand where you're coming from, your line of reasoning would have have GM's trading Horton for Horcoff just because Horcy has actually played in the NHL. While it certainly is a risk when trading for a prospect because he is an unproven quantity, that doesn't automatically mean that Hemsky > Staal or that Horcoff > Horton. I know the Oilers have been burned in the draft before (Bonsignore = :mad: ) but you can't let that fact bias your opinion towards any unproven prospect..

Old
10-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Very seldom do teams trade away their first round selection less than a year after they draft him; especially if they're very high on him as Carolina is on Staal. There is no way Carolina would part with him, possibly not even for a massive overpay. They invision him as their future captain and a cornerstone to build upon.. while they might want Comrie, they won't give up Staal. I think we'd have better luck going after Vasicek + a prospect..
Counter-proposal: Comrie for Brindamour w/ the canes picking up part of his salary. Gives the canes a good 1-2 punch down the center with Stall-Comrie. The oilers finally get their big 2way 2nd line center. Very likely or no???

Old
10-11-2003, 11:01 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
I don't know, Carolina (Hartford) traded Pronger in his rookie year for Shanahan straight up, I remember they wanted to shoot Keenan in St. Louis, but look at that result, perhaps Carolina would do the same for Comrie, then everyone in Edmonton would want to murder Lowe, although reading through this board at times it already seems that way, anyhow,I would go for it...it's not like Comrie wants to play play for us, a top notch and only top notch prospect would do...

True enough that Hartford did that, BUT, we're talking about a massive overpay, not Comrie straight-up, but adding more to that. And that's just not a very bright idea.

Closed Thread