HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

Old
03-10-2017, 08:19 PM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

vCash: 500

03-10-2017, 08:56 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
I can't imagine waking up to that in your bank account..

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad Panda View Post
I know you've historically been critical of Savard which I get, as he's had merely an ok career prior to this year but if you don't think he's playing top pair quality this season you're out to lunch.
Although this is a Werenski thread.... Savard is still not great exiting the zone and if you watch him with his outlet passes they are less then ideal on many occasions. I think he's playing at a high level this year but I don't see him as a top pair guy on anything but a below average team. He's playing like a plus 2nd pair guy in a shutdown role. That's a great thing but I just don't see the top pair discussion.

As for Werenski, he still needs work in the D-zone but he's a top pair, expected #1 guy. I still lean towards Jones as our overall best D-man and a bonafide #1 this year. This top pair is going to be amazing for a long time. I'll add Murray to the mix too. I think he's playing in a tough spot this year but is a top 3 type player if put there. Maybe as soon a next year.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:10 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Although this is a Werenski thread.... Savard is still not great exiting the zone and if you watch him with his outlet passes they are less then ideal on many occasions. I think he's playing at a high level this year but I don't see him as a top pair guy on anything but a below average team. He's playing like a plus 2nd pair guy in a shutdown role. That's a great thing but I just don't see the top pair discussion.

As for Werenski, he still needs work in the D-zone but he's a top pair, expected #1 guy. I still lean towards Jones as our overall best D-man and a bonafide #1 this year. This top pair is going to be amazing for a long time. I'll add Murray to the mix too. I think he's playing in a tough spot this year but is a top 3 type player if put there. Maybe as soon a next year.
I noted that as well, Savard would certainly be a lot better if he was a good outlet passer. But a lot better than what? Outlet passing is one of the biggest factors for possession and Savard has excellent possession stats. That tells me he's dominating in other aspects - great pinching, shutting down plays defensively, etc... And if he was a good outlet passer on top of that, we wouldn't be talking "is he top pair quality", we'd be talking "is he #1D quality".

major major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:25 AM
blahblah

Oh goody, I see a quote talking about corsi... After all that is all that matters. corsi, to me, is like a somewhat more useful +/-. It's now the holy grail. I saw a article on TSN that tried to illustrate CORSI being relevant somehow to playoff teams and winning a Cup. It was all over the place. Some pretty good teams have had some rather poor corsi stats.

Shot +/- isn't the end all be all of how good you are as a player or as a team.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:42 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Shot +/- isn't the end all be all of how good you are as a player or as a team.
Right, I'd say game saving blocks are a big part of it too.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:54 AM
CBJsoldier
Winging it

Good read............ http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170...nd-hes-only-19

CBJsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 08:46 PM
leleleopold

Of course Z deserves Calder consideration. I am afraid of what might happen if he wins it considering our last Calder winner.

leleleopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:50 PM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
In any case, Werenski isn't going to move the meter for the CBJ for the next few years. He's not an elite talent. That is obvious.
Crystal

spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:52 PM
We Want Ten
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonesJenner View Post
I can't imagine waking up to that in your bank account..
Now he can buy like half a million of those Wolverine suits he is so fond of...

We Want Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:27 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:22 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Matthews is going to win it because Toronto (and he's a beast obviously), but I think Werenski could easily get 2nd.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:07 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Matthews is going to win it because Toronto (and he's a beast obviously), but I think Werenski could easily get 2nd.
I disagree. Werenski will finish 4th.

It's not because he doesn't deserve it, because he does. Its because of (as you noted) the slobberfest known as Canada, especially the TML.

My Daily Double - Matthews/Laine;
My Quinella - Matthews/Laine;
My Trifecta - Matthews/Laine/Marner - and I box it.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
I disagree. Werenski will finish 4th.

It's not because he doesn't deserve it, because he does. Its because of (as you noted) the slobberfest known as Canada, especially the TML.

My Daily Double - Matthews/Laine;
My Quinella - Matthews/Laine;
My Trifecta - Matthews/Laine/Marner - and I box it.
Eh, I think even the voters will recognize that Werenski's season warrants placing in the top 3. It would look too fishy to have 3 Canadian team rookies in the top 3 when 2-4 were spots up for grabs.

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Werenski
4. Marner

Old
03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
blahblah

There is a case to be made for him to win it; even with the other guys listed. He won't, but his season has been that good.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:03 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

The Senators asked Colin White to do the Werenski approach from last season, sign an ATO and play games for the minor league club, then sign an ELC. White declined, as he wants to sign his ELC now to burn off a year of it. Ottawa rightfully doesn't want to do this, so a stalemate has happened.

Just looking at that situation makes me so damn happy to have Werenski and how he handled his situation last season. He could have easily done the same thing last year to us, and get paid quicker and have his deal expire to get paid again quicker. What a true pro.

Old
03-21-2017, 05:51 PM
major major

Quote:
The Senators asked Colin White to do the Werenski approach from last season, sign an ATO and play games for the minor league club, then sign an ELC. White declined, as he wants to sign his ELC now to burn off a year of it. Ottawa rightfully doesn't want to do this, so a stalemate has happened.

Just looking at that situation makes me so damn happy to have Werenski and how he handled his situation last season. He could have easily done the same thing last year to us, and get paid quicker and have his deal expire to get paid again quicker. What a true pro.
I'm grateful it worked out for our franchise but I think on the collective level it's sketchy to insist players play pro games without a contract as some sort of common courtesy.

Old
03-22-2017, 05:02 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
Quote:

I believe that Werenski was confident enough in his abilities that he JUST KNEW it didn't matter about a couple months. He knows there is a huge pot of money just a couple years down the road.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I'm grateful it worked out for our franchise but I think on the collective level it's sketchy to insist players play pro games without a contract as some sort of common courtesy.
You think it's possible this helped him make the big team quicker in showing the FO that he's willing to work with them?

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 08:53 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City Zach View Post
You think it's possible this helped him make the big team quicker in showing the FO that he's willing to work with them?
I'm sure playing in the AHL was a fantastic bridge for Zach. He would have made the Jackets last fall either way.

My point is that it's a bad thing collectively. I'd never advise a student to not take an unpaid internship because of it, but collectively all the kids are hurting each other by working for free. It's certainly not unprofessional if a young person refuses unpaid work.

Old
03-22-2017, 10:21 AM
EspenK

And of course what happens if the kid is injured and he isn't under contract? Dunno but I'm guessing a lot of aggravation and a lot less money than if he was under contract.

In this day and age I've done a complete 180 and am in complete agreement with those who don't want to play for nothing or a swag bag like the college kids who skipped bowl games. The payday's are just too big to jeopardize imo.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote