HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2015, 08:44 PM
  #76
CBJfan4evr
Registered User
 
CBJfan4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Albany
Country: United States
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I guess the Jets shouldn't have taken Roslovic either, right? I mean, every guy drafted is just going to refuse to sign, so they can sign with their hometown team.
Time will tell... Ticked off/skeptical after the Reilly situation. I see your point, young kids are just so easily influenced. On the other hand Roslovic would be a nice payback for the Reilly debacle.

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2015, 08:56 PM
  #77
stevo61
Registered User
 
stevo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Little difference between a tiny longshot and a top end Dman who has every tool and if he somehow doesn't make it can only blame himself

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2015, 01:34 AM
  #78
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Wasn't Jack Johnson traded by the Canes to the Kings because he wouldn't sign his ELC and leave U of M?

Largely irrelevent, I know, but it's the offseason and I just like stirring the pot a bit.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2015, 01:40 AM
  #79
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Wasn't Jack Johnson traded by the Canes to the Kings because he wouldn't sign his ELC and leave U of M?

Largely irrelevent, I know, but it's the offseason and I just like stirring the pot a bit.
If I'm not mistaken it was because of his dad.

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 08:48 AM
  #80
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Wasn't Jack Johnson traded by the Canes to the Kings because he wouldn't sign his ELC and leave U of M?

Largely irrelevent, I know, but it's the offseason and I just like stirring the pot a bit.
Carolina didn't want to wait on him. They were fine with him going back for his freshman season, but not his sophomore. So they traded him because they didn't want to wait.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 10:05 AM
  #81
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
CBJSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonesJenner View Post
If I'm not mistaken it was because of his dad.
And so was Reilly.

I don't know about Werenski's people, but if they are filthy rich then it could happen again. If not, he'll be signed next summer.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 09:58 AM
  #82
DoggyII
Registered User
 
DoggyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Peterborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
AP mentioned in his last article that Werenski's "family advisor" is Pat Brisson. Wasn't he Reilly's "family advisor". Should we be concerned at all? I know the circumstances are completely different but I just have a bad feeling in my gut

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 12:17 PM
  #83
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
AP mentioned in his last article that Werenski's "family advisor" is Pat Brisson. Wasn't he Reilly's "family advisor". Should we be concerned at all? I know the circumstances are completely different but I just have a bad feeling in my gut
Until he signs a deal I'll have the same feeling. Most here will blow if off as undue agita but a bit of East Coast angst is called for here imo.

Hopefully Jarmo and Co thoroughly vetted him on the subject. Also by the time he is ready to sign there may very well be an open spot for him at the NHL level if that is what he is waiting for.

Anxious days ahead unless he does a Milano and goes to London instead of Ann Arbor.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 12:29 PM
  #84
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 500
Werenski isn't going to wait 4 years to be in the NHL. You can blow this fact off for the "sky is falling" thinking all you want, but those are the facts. Pat Brisson is the "family advisor" to many college kids.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 01:06 PM
  #85
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg41 View Post
Werenski isn't going to wait 4 years to be in the NHL. You can blow this fact off for the "sky is falling" thinking all you want, but those are the facts. Pat Brisson is the "family advisor" to many college kids.
Pretty much this.

Whether he plays in the OHL or the NCAA for the next two years, it doesn't really matter. Werenski, unlike Reilly, isn't a long-term prospect that four years from now is going to spurn the CBJ and go sign with another team (in this instance, for argument's sake, the Detroit Red Wings).

He's a very high profile, top-10 NHL draft pick. When is the last time any of you saw a top-10 NHL draft pick refuse to sign with the team that selected him, and how did it work out?

Perhaps the most notable is Eric Lindros. Not that I'm comparing Werenski to Lindros, but, in that instance, the Nordiques knew for a long stretch of time that Lindros wasn't going to sign with them, and were able to parlay him into multiple Stanley Cup champions, acquiring several pieces that became key parts of those Cup winning teams in Colorado.

Frankly, there's a big difference from a fourth round pick that develops nicely and could become a middle pairing defenseman, and a top-ten pick that should be in the NHL in two or three years. The Jackets will know if Werenski wants to sign with them or not well before he's allowed to walk away from the franchise. You don't take chances like they did with Reilly on a top-ten pick.

Give Jarmo and JD more credit than that

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 05:38 PM
  #86
Jovavic
Blood Legion
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: StarCrossedWasteland
Country: Qatar
Posts: 11,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post

He's a very high profile, top-10 NHL draft pick. When is the last time any of you saw a top-10 NHL draft pick refuse to sign with the team that selected him, and how did it work out?

)
Blake Wheeler

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
  #87
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovavic View Post
Blake Wheeler
Nice catch, I had forgotten about Blake Wheeler. The point remains, however, that it's highly uncommon ... and the Blue Jackets will offer Werenski a far better/more competitive home than the 2008 Phoenix Coyotes could offer Wheeler.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 12:45 AM
  #88
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...
 
vannzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S.E Michigan
Country: Belgium
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 12:54 AM
  #89
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.
Werenski already said he's going back to Michigan. If he was going to London he would have already. My money is him making the Jackets next season out of camp.

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 12:54 AM
  #90
The Wheelchair
Registered User
 
The Wheelchair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.
He's back at Michigan for this season at least.

The Wheelchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 04:02 PM
  #91
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.
Hes going to be in Michigan for at least this season. We'll see how long he's at your program, but you've got him for at least one more.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 10:25 PM
  #92
ndd17
Fire John Madden!
 
ndd17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg41 View Post
Hes going to be in Michigan for at least this season. We'll see how long he's at your program, but you've got him for at least one more.
Keywords here-at least one more.
Then another year, and another one, and another one and finally UFA status.

ndd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 10:42 PM
  #93
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
Keywords here-at least one more.
Then another year, and another one, and another one and finally UFA status.
If he isn't ready for the nhl in 2 years time, then he isn't the quality of player that jarmo thought he was when he was 4th overall on jarmo's draftday list.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 11:04 PM
  #94
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
If he isn't ready for the nhl in 2 years time, then he isn't the quality of player that jarmo thought he was when he was 4th overall on jarmo's draftday list.
He's implying Werenski is going to Mike Reilly us. Which for some reason people can't seem to get out of their minds.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 11:39 PM
  #95
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg41 View Post
He's implying Werenski is going to Mike Reilly us. Which for some reason people can't seem to get out of their minds.
Yeah i know, and I'm saying he can't reilly us if he is nhl ready before he's done with college.

Reilly is just becoming nhl ready now (maybe), so for him he wasn't foregoing any nhl salary to go ufa, he was just totally free. Werenski would have to pass on nhl salary in order to wait that long.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 03:25 AM
  #96
ndd17
Fire John Madden!
 
ndd17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Werenski would have to pass on nhl salary in order to wait that long.
Reasonable argument. I still think Werenski sign with us and don't go the way of Reilly. But eventually believe it only after signing the contract.Until then i'll doubt.

ndd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 06:15 AM
  #97
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
Reasonable argument. I still think Werenski sign with us and don't go the way of Reilly. But eventually believe it only after signing the contract.Until then i'll doubt.
The vast majority of college players sigh with their teams. It's always in the back of your mind; but I've seen no warning signs with this guy.

I'm no sure why this wasn't addressed in the last CBA; maybe the players union wouldn't move on it and the owners didn't care enough to deal with it.

I'm not going to regress into paranoia every time we draft a college player. It's no way to live your life and there is certainly no reason to drone on about it for years.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 12:09 PM
  #98
The Wheelchair
Registered User
 
The Wheelchair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
The whole reason Reilly's such an expletive deleted is because it's so rare for someone to do what he did. Let's stop acting like Werenski's going to bail until there's at least a hint that he might. Because right now, there isn't.

The Wheelchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 04:07 PM
  #99
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
I'm not going to criticize anybody for worrying about any college player pulling another Reilly on us. Fool me once, etc. A GM has to weigh the risks of every pick, and I'd argue that risk assessment is more critical the higher you are in the draft order. Picking Werenski carries additional risk compared to a non-college player because of this CBA loophole, and that risk is real until he signs. Presumably having a solid handle on the true risk of a choice like this is one of the reasons a GM earns a big salary. Am I going to worry about it day in/day out? No. I'll worry about it more if he doesn't sign before next season.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 07:39 PM
  #100
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
:

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.