HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '16-17: Prince George #17 (WHL)

Old
06-27-2015, 01:00 PM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
looks like a good pick

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
<3:48> 6-27 Brendan Guhle on WGR | .mp3

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Gonna nickname him Groovie Guhle

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

After reading a bit about him, is there an obvious reason why so many people ranked him so much lower than he actually went?

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 02:44 PM
flashsabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
After reading a bit about him, is there an obvious reason why so many people ranked him so much lower than he actually went?
I think he is a "best is yet to come" type player who could see a big jump next year but at the current time there were more of sure things on the board in front of him. He has a lot of good tools and when you skate like him they will find a pro spot for you.

flashsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 06:03 PM
26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 06:53 PM
TalkingProuder

vCash: 137
He is a bit raw and Murray alluded to that as a reason he was available. But then he added that polishing him up and helping him reach his potential is up to the Sabres and Brendan.

TalkingProuder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsabre View Post
I think he is a "best is yet to come" type player who could see a big jump next year but at the current time there were more of sure things on the board in front of him. He has a lot of good tools and when you skate like him they will find a pro spot for you.
He's very raw. He is inconsistent with the decision making. He's likely one of those guys who needs 2 more years in the CHL and 3 years in the AHL. And his name is Brendan which is one of the worst names there is.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

DraftBuzz ranked 67, and seen as one of the hottest risers of this year's draft.

I used a few different metrics in this article:
Sanheim'D

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
looks like a good pick
I like it too.

The guys that go earlier generally need less development than a kid like this later in the draft.

Tools wise, is some areas he seems pretty close to some of the top guys.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
DraftBuzz ranked 67, and seen as one of the hottest risers of this year's draft.

I used a few different metrics in this article:
Sanheim'D
Our team is going to be so buff. We're going to have a Sabres calendar with just pictures of our teams big buff dudes.

Sam Reinhart is going to be the weird guy that showers in swimming trunks.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 09:44 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
He's inconsistent and wasn't on a great team so it was a trial by fire so he looked out of place at times. He's 1 of my favourite guys and has a tremendous upside. He loves to throw his body around and should add some serious size in the next 2-3 years. Amazing skater with a good shot and I see him as a good 2nd pairing guy in the NHL. There is a little risk with him because of those inconsistencies but I saw it more as a kid going through growing pains than lack of IQ/vision.

landy92mack29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 10:41 PM
sabres81

Upset at first but it makes sense. I think TM really values physical attributes over purely offensive attributes when it comes to defensemen. Kylington's stock was declining, Dunn's was kind of neutral, but Guhle's was rising fast. I think a great attribute needed to play a top 4 role would be physicality and this kid has it. Time will tell.

sabres81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2015, 12:01 AM
keithpops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Our team is going to be so buff. We're going to have a Sabres calendar with just pictures of our teams big buff dudes.

Sam Reinhart is going to be the weird guy that showers in swimming trunks.
If you build it they will c

keithpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Edmonton-area prospects to watch in the 2015 NHL draft:
Quote:
Craig Button, TSN scouting guru had Guhle 61st in his last ranking, which is first pick in Round 3. Bob McKenzie, after talking to a whack of scouts, has Guhle at 70, a little later in Round 3.

“He’s a fantastic skater … but when you think of fantastic skaters you think they’ll have fantastic offensive ability, but he’ll be a really good defender. Get the puck out of the zone. He’ll close ice on puck carriers. He’s more of a puck transporter,” said Button.

“He improved a lot this year to where he was assertive with his skating. He’s not a player who’ll run you over. He’s thin but as he matures, he’ll become more confident in his game. He’s solid, not spectacular.”

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Woodhouse

Awards:
NHL draft tracker: Brendan Guhle, Prince Albert Raiders:
Quote:
Brendan Guhle doesn't slide right into the born-with-skates-on-his-feet image, unlike most NHL draft hopefuls.

The Prince Albert Raiders defenceman joined his first organized league relatively late, which ties in with the carefully considered way he has about him on the ice in the Western Hockey League. The 17-year-old is considered one of the best skaters in his peer group in the WHL. Guhle also credits the example set by his father, Dr. Mark Guhle, a physician in Sherwood Park, Alta., for helping him develop some mental toughness.

"My dad, he works a lot and it's kind of difficult at times," says Brendan Guhle, who is NHL Central Scouting's 76th-ranked North American skater. "Sometimes I don't get to see him much. He's really patient with me and I think that's a key virtue that he's taught me. Whether's it in hockey or any other aspect of life, that's key. His profession can somewhat relate to what I'm going through with the draft and everything.

"I didn't start playing hockey until I was eight no one in my family had really played hockey," Guhle adds. "I did lots of power skating. It came naturally to me at first, but it takes a lot of work to reach this level."

Old
08-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Woodhouse

Awards:
PA started their camp this weekend. Guhle's on Team Green in their intrasquad scrimmages today and tomorrow.

Old
09-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Woodhouse

Awards:
Guhle did not dress for either of Prince Albert's preseason losses this weekend and will not dress in next weekend's preseason games either, as he'll be at the rookie camp/tournament in Buffalo.

Old
09-18-2015, 04:13 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 2483
Sabres Hockey Hotline - Friday, September 18 - WGR 550

The final guest of the show was defensive prospect Brendan Guhle, fresh off his first NHL Training Camp scrimmage.

Brendan Guhle Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...8-hh-guhle.mp3

Last edited by LaxSabre: 09-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 09:35 AM
flashsabre

At the draft I was hoping that the Sabres would take Dermott, Dunn or Kylington with their 2nd round pick. When they took Guhlie with both Kylingon and Dunn on the board I was a little perplexed but this kid looks like an absolute stud in the making.

His skating is elite and with his testing at the combine it looks like he will be a strong kid when he matures.

The Sherwood Park connection of him and Pysyk could be a fantastic D pairing for years to come.

flashsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Here's Hamilton's take on Guhle last night. Heh.

Quote:
I’ve been keeping an eye on the pair of Mark Pysyk and Brendan Guhle in this game and this year’s second round pick has struggled.

Guhle had the puck behind the net and tried a blind, backhand pass that the Wild picked off. Pysyk did get over to bail him out.

Guhle seems a little nervous in his first game and it’s shown in the defensive zone. He did shake off the cobwebs and got up ice a few times, but the one time he kept going and got to the puck first behind the net, but did a drive by to get back.
There isn't a person whose personnel evaluations I put less stock in than Hamilton's. I mean that.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 10:58 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

There isn't a person whose personnel evaluations I put less stock in than Hamilton's. I mean that.
Irregardless of Hamilton's thoughts, its pretty doubtful that Guhle is going anywhere but back to his Jr team. We don't have a spot for him for a 9 game tryout, and even if we did, I think most people will agree that 18 year old d-men are best served getting top pairing ice time at a lower level. It's not like he was a dominant d-man last year, he still has alot to prove at that level and improve on. Next year might be a good spot to see if we can find him a spot (with Weber and Cola likely gone). Unfortunately due to AHL rules he won't be AHL eligible until 2017 (7/29/97 DOB), so he might be stuck in the "too good for Jrs, not good enough for the NHL" bubble that Zadorov was in last year.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Thorton02

vCash: 450
Guhle needs another 2 years before he gets his chance with the big club. He has potential, but I've seen too many prospects look intriguing during their 1st camp only to fizzle out.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 11:38 AM
kummelweck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

I don't mind Hamilton. Guhle had some issues in the prospects tournament too. At this point, we should be seeing how much he improves during camp and if he gets a longer look.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2015, 01:05 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
I don't mind Hamilton. Guhle had some issues in the prospects tournament too. At this point, we should be seeing how much he improves during camp and if he gets a longer look.
And yet, Peters, Dunleavy and especially Bylsma mentioned how good Guhle looked. If Hamilton says that Guhle looked nervous, and Bylsma says he looked poised - I'm going to go with poised.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote