HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '16-17: Prince George #17 (WHL)

Old
09-25-2015, 10:18 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
No real reason to even entertain a 9 game look at this point.

He has plenty to work on in the WHL. He's confident and a good skater, and seems to have a decent hockey sense. Let him get stronger, let him dominate the WHL.

We can talk about a 9 game audition NEXT year if he has nothing to gain from playing in the WHL

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2015, 10:23 AM
OkimLom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I only watched TV but to me his positioning was far superior to Leduc or Donovan or Cola or Ruh. Good box outs around the net to give his goalie a line of site, and eliminating opponents looking for garbage.
Yeah his positioning was better than them, but he still needs to work on tying up his guys, which comes with experience and getting stronger. He's got the right tools he just needs to refine them.

The improvement I have seen from Prospect's camp to training camp with the increased level of competition for him has been surprising.

It's still early, but it's looking like they have a potential hidden gem.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

He has plenty to work on in the WHL. He's confident and a good skater, and seems to have a decent hockey sense. Let him get stronger, let him dominate the WHL.

We can talk about a 9 game audition NEXT year if he has nothing to gain from playing in the WHL
agreed 100%. nice story for now, but no use in wasting a year or 2 on his ELC. if anyone causes the brass to 'rethink' its top 7 or 8 in the short term this year it'll be McCabe.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
joshjull

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 10:26 AM
26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 10:47 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Why not? Giving him a 9 game try out doesn't hurt or effect anything, so if they feel he has a chance to make them a better team, Why wouldn't they try it out?

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Ball1374

With Gorges (week to week), Bogosian (week to week), and McCabe (TBD) all being reported as having injuries, along with Risto recovering, it might not be a bad option to keep him up through the 9 game stint. He's made a huge impression, and paired with Pysyk, has looked solid enough to think he could hold his own to start the season. Either way (staying here/playing in PA), it's going to benefit him greatly.

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

I think it's almost never a bad idea to Give a kid who had a real good camp the NHL wake up call. Especially as an 18yr old, you get that taste of the bright lights, the big crowds, and the private jets and like crack it gets under your skin and you work harder to get back. Especially with how Guhle has played, hit him with the NHL bat would be good for him. O courserhereal preseason starts this week and he might fall apart against the improving rosters, but as of right now I think he would benefit at seeing the real thing for a couple games.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
He seems so much better already as an 18-year old with d-zone positioning and tying up guys around the crease than ... Austin, Leduc, Ruhwedel, Donovan, Franson, Colaiacovo, McCabe...

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
The organization has been very big on rewarding players who have great training camps since Murray took over. Giving guys like Baptiste, Bailey and Guhle early ELCs isn't something that used to happen often. I could definitely see Guhle getting a few NHL games even if in limited capacity.

Prince Albert isn't exactly an organization that team's like having their prospects on either.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
He seems so much better already as an 18-year old with d-zone positioning and tying up guys around the crease than ... Austin, Leduc, Ruhwedel, Donovan, Franson, Colaiacovo, McCabe...
Agreed. The main issue I have with his play is that he's a bit of a riverboat gambler with the puck, which I'd like just fine if he better knew what he can get away with and cleaned up his execution.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 06:10 PM
kummelweck

Even if Guhle looks ready now, as an 18 year old you have to wonder if his body can handle the physical grind of 82 games i.e. is he physically mature?

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
Even if Guhle looks ready now, as an 18 year old you have to wonder if his body can handle the physical grind of 82 games i.e. is he physically mature?
He did better at the combine than even Eichel. He played 72 games last season and 51 the year before.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Tapu Coco
fka coconut head

Quote:
From his EP profile:

Quote:
A heads-up defenseman who can really take a beating and dish it out as well. Built like a tank; grueling play doesn't phase him. Calm, collected, and poised with the puck; great body and stick positioning without the puck. Reliable at both ends of the ice and can be trusted with a hefty amount of ice time. All-in-all, a defenseman who strives to be difficult to play against, consistently, with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)
Not taking junior-aged players vs men into account, though.

This isn't to say that he's NHL-ready right now, but if he needs to fill spot duty for the first 9 or less games of the season, he wouldn't be totally out of place. Anyway, he's a lot further along than we thought-Murray may have really found something here.

Tapu Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Bearing in mind that outside of a few reports from the combine floor, the only published data is each test's top 10 results:
Skinfolds / Body Fat: #7 5.1%
Bench Press: #7 15 reps
Standing Long Jump: #1 122 inches
Vertical Jump: #4 26.77 inches
Pull-Ups: #3* 12 reps (*seven-way tie)
Pro-Agility Test - Left: #7 4.47 seconds
Pro-Agility Test - Right: #6 4.39 seconds
Wingate - Peak Power Output: #1 19.9 watts/kg

I believe he had the most top 10 finishes. He had 8 while Eichel had 7. Bear in mind that it's likely some players were tied at #10 on tests and thus not listed, as well that on certain tests the difference between where Guhle may have placed and where, say, #20 may have placed is probably negligible. Regardless, this information shows he has a lot going for him physically. It doesn't mean he should stay up nor does it mean he can hack it physically, but it does mean he's by no means a weak 18 year-old player. This data shows he has strong arms and legs relative to his size/weight.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2015, 10:42 PM
RocSabres

Any chance Guhle makes the Canadian WJC team with him most likely playing most of his pre tournament games on a bad WHL team?

RocSabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 12:16 AM
couture23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocSabres View Post
Any chance Guhle makes the Canadian WJC team with him most likely playing most of his pre tournament games on a bad WHL team?
Very slim.

Sanheim, Fleury, and Chychrun are all lefties. Same with Thomas Chabot.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 04:36 AM
26CornerBlitz

Old
09-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Wisent42

If Guhle doesn't make the team (he won't) and can't go to Rochester (he can't, right?) then what options are there besides going back to juniors? Can we get him shipped to Europe for a session if the organisation sees that as best for his development? Or is juniors the only option? I'm wondering because I don't want another Grigorenko case where a player has nothing left to learn in juniors, can't go to AHL and isn't ready for NHL.

I kind of hope the organisation learned from that mess and is better prepared next time it happens.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 05:22 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
If Guhle doesn't make the team (he won't) and can't go to Rochester (he can't, right?) then what options are there besides going back to juniors? Can we get him shipped to Europe for a session if the organisation sees that as best for his development? Or is juniors the only option? I'm wondering because I don't want another Grigorenko case where a player has nothing left to learn in juniors, can't go to AHL and isn't ready for NHL.

I kind of hope the organisation learned from that mess and is better prepared next time it happens.
Grigorenko having "nothing left to learn in juniors" was a myth and Guhle has plenty left to learn. Him playing in juniors is both expected and sensible.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 05:37 AM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post

He might get a few games in the regular season due to a number of injured defensemen who might not be ready (Gorges, Bogo, Ruhwedel, and McCabe) when the action starts in earnest on October 8th.

Old
09-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Grigorenko having "nothing left to learn in juniors" was a myth and Guhle has plenty left to learn. Him playing in juniors is both expected and sensible.
I too expect Guhle to go back to juniors. I was just wondering if there are other options.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
Bearing in mind that outside of a few reports from the combine floor, the only published data is each test's top 10 results:
Skinfolds / Body Fat: #7 5.1%
Bench Press: #7 15 reps
Standing Long Jump: #1 122 inches
Vertical Jump: #4 26.77 inches
Pull-Ups: #3* 12 reps (*seven-way tie)
Pro-Agility Test - Left: #7 4.47 seconds
Pro-Agility Test - Right: #6 4.39 seconds
Wingate - Peak Power Output: #1 19.9 watts/kg

I believe he had the most top 10 finishes. He had 8 while Eichel had 7. Bear in mind that it's likely some players were tied at #10 on tests and thus not listed, as well that on certain tests the difference between where Guhle may have placed and where, say, #20 may have placed is probably negligible. Regardless, this information shows he has a lot going for him physically. It doesn't mean he should stay up nor does it mean he can hack it physically, but it does mean he's by no means a weak 18 year-old player. This data shows he has strong arms and legs relative to his size/weight.
Having played sports and working in a profession where physical fitness is an everyday thing (Army), here's what I get from these numbers:

- His body fat is ridiculously low. Like Bruce Smith in his prime low. He's either converting food to energy and using it rapidly, or the food he's eating is going to muscle building. With his power generation, it's probably both. With his weight though, he's got a lot of capacity to get stronger (I weigh as much as he does, and I'm 5-7). With that body fat, he could get to 200 lbs. under the right diet program. Probably higher.

- His core strength is probably pretty good. Upper and lower body power/strength at the same time is hard to do without it. I'm in Korea, so I haven't seen Guhle play, but I'd bet his balance is good.

- Also not seeing him, I'd bet his burst is pretty dynamic based off his Wingate score. I'd bet his first few strides are really powerful.

- How did he do on VO2 max and duration?

I've got a last thought about him but will wait to see what his VO2 scores are.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
TheCerebral1
Zero F***s Given

I personally get more excited to watch the D core when he's on the ice than when he's not. Along with Ristolainen and Pysyk he's the next guy that I look for. Bogosian and Franson are both admirable roster players. But the team has a real solid top three. While Murray said that the draft board followed "BPA", there isn't a question lingering that the team needed to draft a high volume of bodies on the back end. I have been impressed with his poise more than anything and his patience to find the right pass. He is raw in his own zone, but that's to be expected coming from a smaller WHL team. But he has shown the ability to be in the right position.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Why not? Giving him a 9 game try out doesn't hurt or effect anything, so if they feel he has a chance to make them a better team, Why wouldn't they try it out?
After the zadorov mess (injured during 9 game call up and then up for half the season )is rather just send guhle down.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote