HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official GDT: NYR @ CAR 11/17/05

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
this team has so many flaws....only reason we win is out of sheer hard work

We need 3 major things right now

1. Scoring Centre/Winger
2. Bulldozer Defenseman
3. PP Quarterback

and until we get those we won't continue winning.
I refuse to even think about adding any type of large peice. I just want to watch the team grow, and enjoy the ride if there is one.

Old
11-17-2005, 11:06 PM
prevail

vCash: 500
Tonights game did not help my Rucchin or Connolly decision

Old
11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

rangers looked awful tonight. they looked unprepared for the game and played a lazy hockey game. this loss reminds me of the washington loss in a lot of ways. rangers need to come out hungry on saturday.

Old
11-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

call up pock and immonen and get federov and taffe off this roster. If one or both get claimed than they get claimed BIG DEAL.

This loss was a blemish on an outstanding season so far but the Rangers are now in a postion to call up help from within. Scratch Rucchin (its so obvious he is hurt) and rest tjutin and come out with a diffrent lineup. The Rangers should consider changing up the lineup. I would like to see

Hollweg Nylander Jagr
Prucha Immonen Hossa
Straka Moore Ortmeyer
Ville Betts Ward

Old
11-18-2005, 02:34 AM
larsmark

Did Lundqvist choke? I saw some great saves on the highlights but wasn't impressed by the goals he let in...

Do you guys think Weekes will be in net for the next game? That would be just typical since it will be shown on Swedish television. In that case it will be Weekes in goal for all the SEVEN games they've shown of Rangers on Swedish TV.

Old
11-18-2005, 05:30 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
I refuse to even think about adding any type of large piece. I just want to watch the team grow, and enjoy the ride if there is one.
Thanks for expressing my feelings, too.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Fletch

The first period of this game...

was about as exciting a first period I've seen in a while. Even a friend of mine, who's from Ireland and follows soccer and doesn't understand hockey still, thought it was a very exciting period. I missed the entire second, fortunately, and about 1/2 the third, fortunately. If you believe what you've been seeing all season, this shouldn't prompt any changes. If you think this has been a trend and a game like this was screaming to happen, then there will be changes.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Fletch

You're right-on about the team's needs...

add a scoring winger to it...hopefully those spots will be filled by Immonen, Baranka and Rucinsky for now - but expect Strudwick in place of Tyutin if Toots can't go - unless Renney is smart.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:12 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark
Did Lundqvist choke? I saw some great saves on the highlights but wasn't impressed by the goals he let in...

Do you guys think Weekes will be in net for the next game? That would be just typical since it will be shown on Swedish television. In that case it will be Weekes in goal for all the SEVEN games they've shown of Rangers on Swedish TV.
Looked like the pucks went straight through him on the news

Old
11-18-2005, 06:28 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
call up pock and immonen and get federov and taffe off this roster. If one or both get claimed than they get claimed BIG DEAL.

This loss was a blemish on an outstanding season so far but the Rangers are now in a postion to call up help from within. Scratch Rucchin (its so obvious he is hurt) and rest tjutin and come out with a diffrent lineup. The Rangers should consider changing up the lineup. I would like to see

Hollweg Nylander Jagr
Prucha Immonen Hossa
Straka Moore Ortmeyer
Ville Betts Ward

Old
11-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Shadowtron

Bah...3-2 road trip. One really bad game. It's what I was expecting. We beat the teams we SHOULD have beaten, lost to a team would COULD have beaten, and lost badly to a team we probably should have lost to. The 'canes are playing great hockey. They took it to us. We're a one man show and they silenced his performance last night. I would have been really bummed if we'd suffered a loss to the pens/cats/lightning.

Anything else I say will just echo everything that's been said in this thread already. We need more team toughness, a scoring center for Jagr, and hard hitting defenseman that can stay out of the box, and a PP quarterback.

It's time for Renney to get a little creative and put someone else on Jagr's line. Nylander (who did score last night) and Straka have been just woefully inept around the net lately. They've been frustrating to watch. But, you guys already know that, hehehehe

Old
11-18-2005, 08:06 AM
True Blue

Can't freak out after one bad game (2 bad periods really)

But as we have said before, many of the Rangers warts are hidden by 3 factors. When one or two (as in tonight's case) of those do not show up, results like this are to be expected.
The 'Canes really stepped up their physical game after the first period and the Rangers, as they have done most of the time when teams play that way, wilted. Ward absolutely belted Jagr into the boards and Jagr was slooow to get up. Did any Ranger respond? No. Did anyone outside of Hollweg even attempt to take the body? No. The thing of it is that there are other players who can take the body, but for whatever reason do not. Renney seems to want to emphasize skill, but but one can only do so much. The top players of this team continue to get run more and more every single game and, as the year goes on, they will get worn down more and more. Eventually, an injury is bound to happen. And if that injury happens to be Jagr, then the best hope this team has is to win 1-0 games in shoot-outs. The Rangers have not shown that they are willing to either respond in kind or protect their top players. For all the good that I see out of Renney and his staff, I believe that the greatest faults in his approach to games this year lie in his power play strategy and his seeming refusal to admit that the physical nature of the game has not gone away.
The defense again got exposed last night. Can someone just please make an effort to clear the crease of other teams players? How many times now have wee seen the opposing teams simply screen our goalies at will? What is with Malik's and Rozsival's insistence on clearing the puck through the middle of the ice as opposed to along the boards? They have been very guilty of such actions over the last 10 or so games. The discpline issues on this team are not going away. The Rangers take as many minors as any rough and tough team in the league, the only difference is that the great majority of the Rangers penalties are the soft obstruction types.

Oh, and one other thing. Enough on Hossa already. He has been playing on the second line all year and, since the 3rd game of the year, has the grand total of one non-empty net goal in 17 games. I'd say it's time for a change.

Last edited by True Blue: 11-18-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old
11-18-2005, 08:19 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Great game guys- Saturday should be an awesome game.

Lundqvist is amazing...he completely robbed us on quite a few shots.

Your PK is nuts too.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
jratelle19

Quote:

Hollweg Nylander Jagr
Prucha Immonen Hossa
Straka Moore Ortmeyer
Ville Betts Ward
I like your line suggestion, however I'd still keep Prucha on the first line and put Hollweg on the second.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Fletch

Goals against are a strange thing, TB...

you see the wrap-around by Adams, which shouldn't not have happened, and then you see many great chances by the 'Canes stopped by Lundqvist, saving a guy like Rozsival, and at the end of the day the scoresheet has Rozsival at an even, when he was pretty bad for most of the night. Timing of big saves and soft goals affect the perception of what constitutes good defense very often. I thought Rozsival would be better. I think he's this team's worst defenseman who's not a rookie.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Fletch

SoS...

I would not want to see Hollweg out there with Jagr. I know it's tempting to say what Jagr needs is for someone to crash the boards - but throwing in a fourth liner doesn't do the job there.

Prucha makes a lot of sense because of his right shot - but I will continue to say I don't see chemistry when those two are on the ice (and Prucha's flubbed his last two chances at one-timing the puck). I think Hossa would work very well on that line. He's got better hands than Prucha - perhaps if he's out there a lot with Jagr he will be forced to use it more and not float as much.

If Rucchin is hurt, I too would advocate Immonen move to the second line slot, but with Prucha and Straka. Renney, however, I believe would give Moore extra minutes and if I see Moore continue to get 16+ minutes, I'll go crazy. He's a role player - let him play that role - that's what's made him so good this year.

I wouldn't touch the bottom two lines right now. This team needs to get a second line going more than anything else at this point. I'll worry about other lines once the second gets going.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Did anyone else see Drats shy away from getting hit on like 3 occassions?
I don't know about shying away, but he got mowed down at least twice and no one even helped him up, nevermind responded.

TB, I'm almost ready to swap Hossa for Fed-Fed, giving him one more shot to impress before Ruca is back.

Is there a way to incorporate Weller into the lineup?

Still, as bad as the team was last night, they could have easily been in that game by finishing on some of the missed opportunities OR taking 4 or 5 less stupid penalties. Gerber was also quite good IMO.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Is there a way to incorporate Weller into the lineup?
Nope, but here's what I would like to see (since it appears that Renney will not lower skill for protection):

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-Immonen-Prucha
Neimo-Betts-Ward
Hollweg-Moore-Ortmeyer

Basically, in order to make anything happen, Hossa and Rucchin have to disappear. In Hossa's case, I say that it is not big loss as I'm sure that the Rangers could find anyone who can score 1 non-empty net goal in 17 games (funny thing is, that had this been Lundmark, he would have been crucified on this board for such output). Rucchin, while a solid citizen and a very good role model, is woefully unsuited for 2nd line duties. And the Rangers have two players in Betts and Moore who can do the job of the bottom two line centers.
Unfortunatelyl, the way this team is constructed, there will be many more nights where the 'yutes get pounded with nary a response from anyone.
The only way that Weller or Worrell can be inserted is if Neiminen gets traded.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:22 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Anyone else happy that we didn't lose the same way that the Islanders lost yesterday? I almost feel like this is the best type of loss. No second guessing, no what ifs. I felt much worse when we lost to the Leafs.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:26 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
rangers looked awful tonight. they looked unprepared for the game and played a lazy hockey game. this loss reminds me of the washington loss in a lot of ways. rangers need to come out hungry on saturday.
That's not true though. They played an excellent first period. Maybe they played an unprepared 2nd and 3rd period, but not an unprepared GAME.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:31 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12
Great game guys- Saturday should be an awesome game.

Lundqvist is amazing...he completely robbed us on quite a few shots.

Your PK is nuts too.
Yeah but Lundqvist has had games where he made those crazy saves and didn't give up 2 or 3 soft goals. Yesterday might've been his worst game of the season. He hasn't given up more than 3 goals before yesterday. Full props to the Canes though, they played a great game. I just wish it wasn't Adams (is that his name?) beating us. Although we were beat by Toronto's strength on Tuesday and it didn't feel much better.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark

i wouldnt' say "choke", he made some great saves but let in some he should have stopped. mixed bag i guess, just one of those games. i'm sure he'll rebound from it fine

Closed Thread