HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giorgio Estephan (2015, 152nd) – '16-17: Lethbridge #9 (WHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2017, 11:26 AM
  #201
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,133
vCash: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
You had me curious so I'm happy to find it:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/sabr...l-mvp-1.205010
Barrett Heisten was another one. He was a first round pick. The Sabres decided he wasn't going to pan out the way they hoped. The Rangers swooped in with their fat wallet. Heisten proved to be a bust.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:25 PM
  #202
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres4ever View Post
Gents:

What's that from?

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:27 PM
  #203
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Your initial response was snarky comments hoping our GM
.
Ha, you think. Should I have used a different smiley to indicate my "seriousness?"

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:38 PM
  #204
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,373
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
What's that from?
Animal House.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
  #205
SuperNintendoChalmrs
Registered User
 
SuperNintendoChalmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Enough of Auntie Pin. Get this kid signed... cmon Murray!!!!!

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 09:30 PM
  #206
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait
 
Dingo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greensboro, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
In all seriousness, please just get this signing done too!

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 09:34 PM
  #207
hizzoner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,858
vCash: 500
Are they worried about keeping spots (contract numbers) for someone else?

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:26 AM
  #208
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Are they worried about keeping spots (contract numbers) for someone else?
There are a lot of spots

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:16 AM
  #209
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 720
Can't win em all. Not blaming Botterill if/when he goes back, I think it was clear well before Botts was hired that he wasn't going to sign here.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:21 AM
  #210
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
Can't win em all. Not blaming Botterill if/when he goes back, I think it was clear well before Botts was hired that he wasn't going to sign here.
Did I miss an article or a statement from Estephan or his agent about not signing with Buffalo?

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:24 AM
  #211
kummelweck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 50
does he go back in the draft if he doesn't sign?

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:32 AM
  #212
BiPolarBear
Registered User
 
BiPolarBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kummelweck View Post
does he go back in the draft if he doesn't sign?
yep.

if there's a reason for not signing him we should hear it.

how can you be a 'professional journalist' and not put in a call to the Sabres and ask a question?

is it possible he's falling through a crack where nobody's alerted Botterill about him? So much going on for Botterill right now.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:37 AM
  #213
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,373
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
yep.

if there's a reason for not signing him we should hear it.

how can you be a 'professional journalist' and not put in a call to the Sabres and ask a question?

is it possible he's falling through a crack where nobody's alerted Botterill about him? So much going on for Botterill right now.
Seriously?

You think he's not aware of who the only deadline draftee is?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:40 AM
  #214
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
is it possible he's falling through a crack where nobody's alerted Botterill about him? So much going on for Botterill right now.
This scenario just doesn't seem possible. Far more likely that the agent is asking for more money than the team is happily willing to commit and they're working on it. Team is probably offering something very close to the $2.3 over three that Stephens got, and Estephan's camp is probably looking for something much closer to the $4.05 max value that guys like Fasching have received.

With all the carryover staff from the Murray administration it just doesn't seem at all possible that no one has a clue his rights are going to expire soon.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
  #215
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,373
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
This scenario just doesn't seem possible. Far more likely that the agent is asking for more money than the team is happily willing to commit and they're working on it. Team is probably offering something very close to the $2.3 over three that Stephens got, and Estephan's camp is probably looking for something much closer to the $4.05 max value that guys like Fasching have received.

With all the carryover staff from the Murray administration it just doesn't seem at all possible that no one has a clue his rights are going to expire soon.
Yep. Much ado about nothing.

Is it really that long since Regier was in charge and we wouldn't hear about any signings until days if not hours before the deadlines? Clearly that callous didn't take long to abate.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:03 PM
  #216
JLewyB
Registered User
 
JLewyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pegulaville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 500
We just might be the worst place for forward prospects to sign. E.G. Should go back into the draft if he wants a better opportunity

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
  #217
kummelweck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 50
I'm really finding it hard to care if they sign this guy or not. I'd like to understand why they should sign him from someone that thinks it's important.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
  #218
BarbadosSlim
Registered User
 
BarbadosSlim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLewyB View Post
We just might be the worst place for forward prospects to sign. E.G. Should go back into the draft if he wants a better opportunity
Based on what exactly? Looking at the C depth in Rochester I think he'd believe there's plenty opportunity.

BarbadosSlim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:18 PM
  #219
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kummelweck View Post
I'm really finding it hard to care if they sign this guy or not. I'd like to understand why they should sign him from someone that thinks it's important.
I think it's important, but not mission-critical. If we're not signing him to an ELC, there's a reason for it. Either he wants too much for what the team believes he will contribute or there's something glaringly off about his game translating to the pro level that is resulting in the team moving on.

I think it's just a money thing. They'll work it out. If not...meh? He would almost certainly have to switch to the wing in order to crack the big roster anyway...we're set at center for the next 7-10 years. Right now he's a nice signing for Rochester.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:46 PM
  #220
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLewyB View Post
We just might be the worst place for forward prospects to sign. E.G. Should go back into the draft if he wants a better opportunity
Why would going to a team with a strong young core be the worst place? CHL players don't refuse to sign. I can't even think of a single example where that happened, other than Lindros.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:55 PM
  #221
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
There is close to a week left, relax.

SundherDome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:00 PM
  #222
Snippit
Registered User
 
Snippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
This kid was an excellent draft pick. Guy tore it up in the playoffs and was one of the best forwards (top 10) in the Dub this year.

Not signing him is absolutely unacceptable.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:03 PM
  #223
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
Why would going to a team with a strong young core be the worst place? CHL players don't refuse to sign. I can't even think of a single example where that happened, other than Lindros.
I cannot think of one recently. Its always possible some turned down a deal early in the process (i.e. Bleakley) and then was not offered one later.

There have been a few throuh the years, Matheiu Chouinard comes to mind. Players who wanted more, and went back in the draft only to find out why they did not get offered more.

Estaphan particularily? Offensively he seems below Bailey/Baptiste, good prospect, but likely a long term prospect.

ottawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:10 PM
  #224
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,133
vCash: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I think it's important, but not mission-critical. If we're not signing him to an ELC, there's a reason for it. Either he wants too much for what the team believes he will contribute or there's something glaringly off about his game translating to the pro level that is resulting in the team moving on.
There's reason to suspect he won't succeed as a pro due to the minimal improvement he showed from the 2015-16 season to the 2016-17 season. NHL teams want to see a big improvements throughout juniors and especially in the last 2 years because it indicates the player is still developing.

We talked about Benjamin Breault and Brad Moran in this thread. Although very productive juniors they didn't show that year to year improvement scouts look for.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:13 PM
  #225
Sabre the Win
Sabres 4 Brisebois
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Its another body for Rochester, I don't see why they dont see what he has in him at the AHL level. Maybe he takes his game up a few levels in the AHL and becomes a stud bottom 6 player.

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.