HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

175th Overall - Tyler Moy, C, Harvard

Old
06-27-2015, 12:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
175th Overall - Tyler Moy, C, Harvard

Tyler Moy (Twitter: @tymoy2)
Club: Harvard University (NCAA)
Position: Center
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Shoots: Right
DOB: 7/18/95 in La Jolla, CA

Stats:
YearTeamLeagueGPGAPTSPIM
2012-13Omaha LancersUSHL644192322
2013-14HarvardNCAA2746102
2014-15HarvardNCAA3712152716

Tyler Moy Scouting Tyler Moy:
Quote:
I try and make others look good, too. I carry the puck when I have to. I carry the puck, and I look for options. I don't think of it as me versus one player on their team. I think of it as us, as a team, against their players. I play more of a team game rather than try to do it by myself.
(The above quote comes from this Anaheim Calling article from June of 2010, when Moy was first making the leap to serious competition.)

Blurb from The Harvard Crimson:
Quote:
Moy’s biggest chance to prove himself this season came in December, when he stepped up to center the first line in the two-month absence of injured classmate Alex Kerfoot. Winged by star juniors Jimmy Vesey and [Kyle] Criscuolo, Moy thrived in the new position despite facing more difficult line matchups night in and night out. He has since returned to the position at which he started the season but has also accepted extra responsibilities on the power play and penalty kill.

“I think his getting more minutes has helped him,” Criscuolo said. “He’s a big contributor on the power play, and I think he kind of has that attitude that he can score and [that] he’s going to score if he gets the chance.”

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-27-2015 at 12:25 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

A little Vesey insurance?

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Great another Havard guy to sign a UFA contract someday

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Preds33

Why do teams draft college guys? Another mistake waiting to happen.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
It's only a big deal if the player is really in demand. I doubt he's going to have teams crawling over each other to steal him from us.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Oilers Chick
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I guess guys like Duncan Keith, Ben Bishop, Colin Wilson, etc. never got the memo.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Oilers Chick
HFB Partner

All of you are ditzying on Moy and my guess is you haven't seen him play or have seen very little. So let me give you some insight on him. FYI, I've watched Moy since his youth hockey days here in California.

Moy has the makings of a defensive forward. He played wing & center at Harvard this past season, but center is his natural position. He's smart and really understands the defensive responsibilities of the game and as a centerman. Had a breakout year of sorts at Harvard this past season. While Alex Kerfoot was injured, Moy took his spot on the Crimson's top line alongside Jimmy Vesey & Kyle Criscuolo and played remarkably well.

Moy skates really well and his transitioning is very good. He has some nice hands and is more of a passer than a scorer, although he's shown that he can score some nice goals too. He doesn't bring much physicality to his game, so don't expect him to develop into one of those "tough guys". It's just not his style.

Having said all of this, Moy is also still a project. But his development has progressed nicely in his two years at Harvard thus far and I'm expecting him to take another step in his development next season.

I hope this gives you all better insight into one of your team's newest prospects.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 03:31 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I guess guys like Duncan Keith, Ben Bishop, Colin Wilson, etc. never got the memo.
I don't get it either. Close the stupid loophole that allows college players to become UFA's after 4 years and there's no problem.

I mean first the player is going to have to spend 4 years in college. Then he's going to have to feel there's a better situation for him somewhere else whether that be close to home or more playing time or being in the NHL right away.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
None of them went UFA like Vesey intends to.

Old
06-27-2015, 03:59 PM
tuxfile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
None of them went UFA like Vesey intends to.
We don't actually know that Vesey intends to do that. Can we wait to panic about this guy we literally just drafted going to UFA until he's 12 months out from it?

tuxfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxfile View Post
We don't actually know that Vesey intends to do that. Can we wait to panic about this guy we literally just drafted going to UFA until he's 12 months out from it?
Hahaha. Touche.

I think this is just a typical Preds fan mentality. There have been a lot of bad breaks for us fans. I think Vesey going back to a poor team for a senior season makes most fans extremely nervous. He would look good in a Preds jersey.

As for Moy, we will see. The Preds obviously liked what they saw while watching Vesey.

06-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Preds33

I guess another way to look at this would be this pick could help persuade Vesey to sign here since this is a teammate.

Old
06-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Hahaha. Touche.

I think this is just a typical Preds fan mentality. There have been a lot of bad breaks for us fans. I think Vesey going back to a poor team for a senior season makes most fans extremely nervous. He would look good in a Preds jersey.

As for Moy, we will see. The Preds obviously liked what they saw while watching Vesey.
He's a Boston area kid and I think he's going back to get a degree from friggin Harvard just as much as for the actual hockey.

Old
06-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Hahaha. Touche.

Recent events make Vesey leaving more plausible. Only now drafting a Harvard teammate gives him an option to want to stay with Nashville. This could backfire also with Vesey leaving and advising Moy two years later since I feel most college players will now choose the unrestricted route unless they are top picks that can play right now ie Eichel. Fyi his background music in the video makes me think of the movie "the Interview".

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-27-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old
06-29-2015, 10:26 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
All of you are ditzying on Moy and my guess is you haven't seen him play or have seen very little. So let me give you some insight on him. FYI, I've watched Moy since his youth hockey days here in California.

Moy has the makings of a defensive forward. He played wing & center at Harvard this past season, but center is his natural position. He's smart and really understands the defensive responsibilities of the game and as a centerman. Had a breakout year of sorts at Harvard this past season. While Alex Kerfoot was injured, Moy took his spot on the Crimson's top line alongside Jimmy Vesey & Kyle Criscuolo and played remarkably well.

Moy skates really well and his transitioning is very good. He has some nice hands and is more of a passer than a scorer, although he's shown that he can score some nice goals too. He doesn't bring much physicality to his game, so don't expect him to develop into one of those "tough guys". It's just not his style.

Having said all of this, Moy is also still a project. But his development has progressed nicely in his two years at Harvard thus far and I'm expecting him to take another step in his development next season.

I hope this gives you all better insight into one of your team's newest prospects.
I think some of what you're seeing is less about the player or college player and more about some bitter feelings toward the Vesey cloud hanging over our heads. There's some perception(and some documented rumors to go along with it) that Vesey held off on signing this spring because he realizes that if he waits another year he can simply choose where he wants to go.

04-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Preds33

Old
04-10-2017, 03:10 PM
No Team Needed

He didn't go UFA? I guess Vesey is just an outlier.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Glad we got him locked up. Solid all-around forward.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Doesn't sound like a sure-fire NHLer, but center depth is never a bad thing. He had a terrific senior year, placed top 20 in points

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

This was one hell of a thread bump. If he becomes an everyday Pred he'll be my favorite as he's from San Diego.

Old
04-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Armourboy

Kind of surprised he signed, figured he'd just go FA. Granted there isn't as much hype about him.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Kind of surprised he signed, figured he'd just go FA. Granted there isn't as much hype about him.
I mean, it's pretty rare for guys to go FA no matter what Vesey did so it's not that shocking

Old
04-10-2017, 04:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Man is the Ads roster is getting crowded at forward. Trenin and Moy

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Connor McDaigle
Eetu, Brute?

vCash: 50
Would you look at that, a college UFA doesn't screw over his draft team like they all do!

I watched several Harvard games this year (to watch Fox) and I always thought Moy was a pretty decent player. I think Kerfoot was the real talent among Harvard forwards but Moy was definitely good. He has a great shot and was a big reason why Fox was able to get as many assists on the powerplay as he did.

Connor McDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Brodeur

Awesome to have another San Diego kid turn pro. I was at the 2015 Draft and was momentarily confused when I heard his name. There was another prospect named Tyler Soy that was supposed to be a late round pick, so at first I thought they mispronounced it. Then I realized that Tyler Moy sounded familiar but couldn't remember why, and then it hit me that I have friends who know his folks.

It's an interesting coincidence but Moy, Chad Ruhwedel on Pittsburgh, and Thatcher Demko all come from the some neighborhood in San Diego as well. Hopefully Milwaukee visits San Diego next year.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote