HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Just got back from GM Place...

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 08:55 PM
cram

vCash: 500
Just got back from GM Place...

What a joke, it's bad enough no Oiler fans were sitting in my section , the "Oilers Suck" chant was followed by laughter from the Vancouver fans, I have never been embarrased of the Oilers, but tonight was pathetic. What the **** is Cory Cross doing on the power play, he fails to keep the puck in at the line, take a delay penalty, Edmonton can't recover, and Keane and Slegr make it look like they are Kariya & Salanne out there. What was with this team tonight, I swear talk about not being able to get it up! I hope MacT bag skates them tomorrow, they deserve if for that pathetic display tonight. No leadership, no skating, not hitting, awful. MacT ****s around with lines like he is still in pre-season while Vancouver looks like they could start the playoffs tomorrow. I know this team is young and inexperienced, but Cross should NEVER be on the power play. Oh, and before he gets away. I think Ales Hemsky picked up that weird disease that seems to bother Dan Cleary at this time of year. He had one dangerous shot and set up Smith in the third, other than that, the kid floated, Isbister, ditto, Smyth, I counted 4 no look giveaways, and I know they are trying him at centre, but that's no excuse to try low percentage passes. Salo played an alright save, tough luck on the first Vancouver goal. All night long, as soon as the puck was turned over in the Vancouver zone by the Oilers, all five Canucks would be at their blueline skating away and the two oiler forwards would be slagging behind...I cannot believe this, Edmonton was out skated all night, outworked, and outplayed. There, I've ranted and it's my right, can't wait to play these ****ers again!

Old
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
momentai

To sum up - The Oilers sucked.

That about right?

Old
10-11-2003, 09:01 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
To sum up - The Oilers sucked.

That about right?
uhmmm, yep! Notice how I decided not to touch on the PP....sighhhh!!!

Old
10-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
What a joke, it's bad enough no Oiler fans were sitting in my section , the "Oilers Suck" chant was followed by laughter from the Vancouver fans, I have never been embarrased of the Oilers, but tonight was pathetic. What the **** is Cory Cross doing on the power play, he fails to keep the puck in at the line, take a delay penalty, Edmonton can't recover, and Keane and Slegr make it look like they are Kariya & Salanne out there. What was with this team tonight, I swear talk about not being able to get it up! I hope MacT bag skates them tomorrow, they deserve if for that pathetic display tonight. No leadership, no skating, not hitting, awful. MacT ****s around with lines like he is still in pre-season while Vancouver looks like they could start the playoffs tomorrow. I know this team is young and inexperienced, but Cross should NEVER be on the power play. Oh, and before he gets away. I think Ales Hemsky picked up that weird disease that seems to bother Dan Cleary at this time of year. He had one dangerous shot and set up Smith in the third, other than that, the kid floated, Isbister, ditto, Smyth, I counted 4 no look giveaways, and I know they are trying him at centre, but that's no excuse to try low percentage passes. Salo played an alright save, tough luck on the first Vancouver goal. All night long, as soon as the puck was turned over in the Vancouver zone by the Oilers, all five Canucks would be at their blueline skating away and the two oiler forwards would be slagging behind...I cannot believe this, Edmonton was out skated all night, outworked, and outplayed. There, I've ranted and it's my right, can't wait to play these ****ers again!
What do you expect from Canuck fans. They had a riot on Robson in 1994 after they lost the Stanley Cup to the Rangers. A riot and they didn't even win the cup. I really hope they never win the cup as downtown Vancouver will be destroyed.

10-11-2003, 09:07 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
What do you expect from Canuck fans. They had a riot on Robson in 1994 after they lost the Stanley Cup to the Rangers. A riot and they didn't even win the cup. I really hope they never win the cup as downtown Vancouver will be destroyed.
Yeah, they are idiots, some guy tried to shove me as he pointed at my Oilers jersey laughing, what a bunch of *******s! I did manage to get the balls to stand up after two guys were heckling me with an "Oilers Suck" chant, I turned around and yelled to the top of my lungs "maybe they suck, but I'll take the five cups" THey stopped bothering me after that for a while and then they started a "Comrie" chant, which was pretty funny I must say!

Old
10-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Oilers Hockey

I'm glad to hear you made it out of there intact! :mad:

Vancouver fans are so trashy! They should look to Oiler fans for an example of class.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:31 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

Vancouver fans are so trashy! They should look to Oiler fans for an example of class.
Yeah thanks, I am used to it though, I always catch the Oilers when they are in town, I actually wasn't too scared tonight as my blood was boiling due to the poor performance, my dad however zipped up his jacket as soon as that occured, I guess there is such a thing as a sore winner! And in Vancouver, they are sore when they win and when they lose.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:39 PM
OYLer

Basically, the Oilers were flat out beaten by a better team who work hard to first get the lead and then to maintain the lead. Cook and company took it to us bigtime. Although, both power plays didn't score - something like - a combined 0 for 23 - at least the Canucks' PP got set up and got chances. I'd point fingers at all the Oilers who played poorly but I don't have enough fingers.

The shorty sealed the deal. I will say I thought Vancouver got a few more of the luckier bounces and breaks. Cross got burnt when the puck hops over his stick on the Shorthanded momentum killer. Should have been a goal when Allen stumble into and knocked off the net. Right call but a lucky break for Hedberg. Plus the save off of his mask was a tad lucky. But what 14 shorts wins few games in the NHL. Zero for 12 on the PP was pathetic.

Hopefully we live to battle another day and there were no injuries.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Basically, the Oilers were flat out beaten by a better team who work hard to first get the lead and then to maintain the lead. Cook and company took it to us bigtime. Although, both power plays didn't score - something like - a combined 0 for 23 - at least the Canucks' PP got set up and got chances. I'd point fingers at all the Oilers who played poorly but I don't have enough fingers.

The shorty sealed the deal. I will say I thought Vancouver got a few more of the luckier bounces and breaks. Cross got burnt when the puck hops over his stick on the Shorthanded momentum killer. Should have been a goal when Allen stumble into and knocked off the net. Right call but a lucky break for Hedberg. Plus the save off of his mask was a tad lucky. But what 14 shorts wins few games in the NHL. Zero for 12 on the PP was pathetic.

Hopefully we live to battle another day and there were no injuries.
I don't think brain cramps count as injuries as that seems to be what most of the team had. Totally agree though, at least Vancouver's PP looked dangerous...

Old
10-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Great, a few drunken *******s, and we get labelled.

Btw, there was a riot because we LOST. If we had won, i highly doubt we would have rioted. We're sore losers, that's all

Old
10-11-2003, 09:54 PM
OYLer

Hey cram, how did Bergeron look in the heavy going on the live ice there at GM Place? Did he stand his ground well at the front of our net?

Old
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Boondock Saint

Just got back from the game too, and god, it was even worse live....

I honestly cannot think of one guy who even played decently...

We do not have a #1 or #2 defenseman. Brewer is NOT either of these things and don't kid yourself into thinking that Smith or Staios are. We have three #3-4 d-men and 4 #5-6 d-men.

The one positive I took from this game is the fact that M-A. B. looked better than I had expected.

I know the deal about not dumping on Dvo cuz of his personal stuff, but he was beyond bad tonight. He turned the puck over every time it came within reach. Just terrible.

The boys really left Salo out to dry tonight.

No scoring from our skill guys, no energy from our muckers and poor d from our defensive forwards.

On a bright note, the company I work for got one of those corporate suites right at the top, so there was more free food and drink than you could want. That might explain some of my ranting.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:26 AM
jadeddog

as bad as dvorak played, and as bad as that cross give-away was on teh PP (when van scored their 3rd goal) and as bad as hemsky played all night, and as lazy and out of it isbister played... i think the award for bad play deserves to go to smyth.

i have NEVER (that i can remember anyhow) seen him play this terribly.... i counted 5 really horrible no-look give-aways, pretty much all of them turned into canuck chances as well (cause they were all in the neutral zone).... i think this smyth at center bullsh*t gets 3 more games, and then they have to make a decision about it, right now its 1 good game, 1 bad game... but we all have to remember that the bad games should get more weight in this because when was the last time you have EVER seen smyth play like that? ...... yeah didnt think so

Old
10-12-2003, 08:07 AM
cram

Quote:
Hey cram, how did Bergeron look in the heavy going on the live ice there at GM Place? Did he stand his ground well at the front of our net?
Bergeron looked alright, nothing fancy, got a few shots on net, never got burned. He sure doesn't play like he's 5'9, he also took a run at Linden I believe near the Canucks bench in the 2nd. He doesn't look that small on the live ice and doesn't seem to be out of his league.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:12 AM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
as bad as dvorak played, and as bad as that cross give-away was on teh PP (when van scored their 3rd goal) and as bad as hemsky played all night, and as lazy and out of it isbister played... i think the award for bad play deserves to go to smyth.

i have NEVER (that i can remember anyhow) seen him play this terribly.... i counted 5 really horrible no-look give-aways, pretty much all of them turned into canuck chances as well (cause they were all in the neutral zone).... i think this smyth at center bullsh*t gets 3 more games, and then they have to make a decision about it, right now its 1 good game, 1 bad game... but we all have to remember that the bad games should get more weight in this because when was the last time you have EVER seen smyth play like that? ...... yeah didnt think so
I agree with you then I somewhat disagree with you...Smyth stunk plain and simple, I made mention of the low percentage passes in my first post, however, him playing centre "shouldn't" have anything to do with his giveaways, but perhaps he is not familiar with his new surroundings and panicked, I dunno. I just cannot understand for the life of me why he kept trying the LPP...

Old
10-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Edonator

Quote:
Why wouldn't we have a riot? We LOST! Hell if we won we'd stay in gm place until all the players left and some idiots would've rushed the ice for a chance to touch the cup. I guess you can call us die-hard fans, something you guys don't have much of, 5 more chances for us to woop ur ass.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:47 AM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98
Why wouldn't we have a riot? We LOST! Hell if we won we'd stay in gm place until all the players left and some idiots would've rushed the ice for a chance to touch the cup. I guess you can call us die-hard fans, something you guys don't have much of, 5 more chances for us to woop ur ass.

Die hard????!! Oiler fans are with the team through thick and thin, unlike Vancouver fans, hell three years ago the building would be half empty three quarters of the time, you call that die hard????!!! I call that bandwagon hard!

Old
10-12-2003, 01:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Die hard????!! Oiler fans are with the team through thick and thin, unlike Vancouver fans, hell three years ago the building would be half empty three quarters of the time, you call that die hard????!!! I call that bandwagon hard!
Three years ago, the Canucks were a playoff team, and the building was *sold out* half the time. The rough times were from 1996-2000 when overpaid bums like Messier and Bure were running shotgun, of course the fans were fed-up.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:40 PM
OYLer

Thanx cram, good to know MAB looks like an NHLer when out of the camera's view. Too show how the plus/minus can victimize a player, although I am a believer in the numbers over the long run, Staios was a minus 3. Cut for eight stitches around his left eye when Cooke high-sticked Steve and no penalty was called he was minus one. I think Horcoff let his man get away on the 2nd goal against and Staios was on the ice for that defensive breakdown resulting from an odd man rush. That's minus 2. Finally Cross bumbbled the pinch on right D and Staios was playing the left D to give up the SHG. Suddenly Cooke's Plus 3 and Staios is Minus 3. Actually the rest of the time I tought Staios played pretty decently.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:56 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Three years ago, the Canucks were a playoff team, and the building was *sold out* half the time. The rough times were from 1996-2000 when overpaid bums like Messier and Bure were running shotgun, of course the fans were fed-up.
Sorry four years ago...as I recall Naslund and Bertuzzi were on that team too..hmmm. I stand by my statement, during thick and thin, except in Vancouver, only during thick...

Old
10-12-2003, 02:58 PM
cram

Quote:
Thanx cram, good to know MAB looks like an NHLer when out of the camera's view. Too show how the plus/minus can victimize a player, although I am a believer in the numbers over the long run, Staios was a minus 3. Cut for eight stitches around his left eye when Cooke high-sticked Steve and no penalty was called he was minus one. I think Horcoff let his man get away on the 2nd goal against and Staios was on the ice for that defensive breakdown resulting from an odd man rush. That's minus 2. Finally Cross bumbbled the pinch on right D and Staios was playing the left D to give up the SHG. Suddenly Cooke's Plus 3 and Staios is Minus 3. Actually the rest of the time I tought Staios played pretty decently.

Pretty good analysis, MAB was by far not the worse defender out there, he actually looked like one of the few Oilers who came to play. He even jumped up in the pplay to fight for a few pucks in the Vancouver zone as our forwards were pretty weak in that aspect, but yeah, he looks like he belongs.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:41 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Sorry four years ago...as I recall Naslund and Bertuzzi were on that team too..hmmm. I stand by my statement, during thick and thin, except in Vancouver, only during thick...
As an Oiler fan I don't think you have a leg to stand on when it comes to speaking of supporting your team "through thick and thin", especially to any Canucks fans.

The VAncouver Canucks has been one of the crappiest organizations in any proffessional sport, and while handfuls of other cities in North America have lost their franchises during the past 30 years, Vancouver is not one of them.

Meanwhile, as many Oilers fans like to repeat, you've won 5 championships. Where exactly is all this thin you're talking about having to support through? How many seasons have the Oilers failed to make the playoffs?

For the first time the Oilers fans may actually be seeing more of a major rebuilding phase instead of retooling, and you guys are all freaking out.

The Canucks have never won anything of note, and yet they still have support, and now that they are actually icing a decent team they get called bandwagon fans. Of course there are lot's of bandwagon fans!

Old
10-12-2003, 06:02 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
As an Oiler fan I don't think you have a leg to stand on when it comes to speaking of supporting your team "through thick and thin", especially to any Canucks fans.

The VAncouver Canucks has been one of the crappiest organizations in any proffessional sport, and while handfuls of other cities in North America have lost their franchises during the past 30 years, Vancouver is not one of them.

Meanwhile, as many Oilers fans like to repeat, you've won 5 championships. Where exactly is all this thin you're talking about having to support through? How many seasons have the Oilers failed to make the playoffs?

For the first time the Oilers fans may actually be seeing more of a major rebuilding phase instead of retooling, and you guys are all freaking out.

The Canucks have never won anything of note, and yet they still have support, and now that they are actually icing a decent team they get called bandwagon fans. Of course there are lot's of bandwagon fans!

I agree with you 100%, however I have two legs to stand one, first the reason the Canucks have sucked for som many years is poor management, ****** ownership and bad coaching, not because your team has had its financial hands tied, you have not seen great player after great player leave because of money, rather due to poor trades, i.e. Pederson for Neely. Our situation is by far more frustrating I believe....

Old
10-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

I went to an Oilers game 2 seasons ago and the Oilers fans told me they were going to beat the **** out of me in front of my son... Yeah they are such an example of class.

There are idiots in every city.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:16 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
I went to an Oilers game 2 seasons ago and the Oilers fans told me they were going to beat the **** out of me in front of my son... Yeah they are such an example of class.

There are idiots in every city.
Sorry to hear that. And, I'm sad to say, you are correct. Idiots are everywhere.

I enjoy a good rivalry and good natured ribbing can add to the fun, but idiots can certainly ruin it. I lived in Calgary for 10 years ('86-'96) and only took my kids to 1 game, because of more than a few foul mouthed morons. I have always been a respectful fan, and will tear a strip off any idiot that I see berating other respectful fans, no matter who they cheer for.

From one fan to another, I wish you idiot free hockey games.
I know... I may as well wish for the Cup.
It could happen.

Closed Thread