HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Just got back from GM Place...

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 08:25 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
God my Favourite Seats are in the Molson Canadian sections i went to a game once in Vancouver and I was cheering for the Oilers they did not bother me at all but every second worn out of there mouth was Fu*k or Bull$hit and it was kinda funny they were getting angry at there own team and the refs more than the Oilers.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Couldn't agree more. Oiler fans, face it, you're not a dynasty any longer you are in a rebuilding phase as the Canucks have been through many times. Too bad you have to constantly trade away all your decent players (weight, niinimaa, carter, soon to be comrie) to name a few or maybe you'd be where vancouver is and will be for the next few seasons in the standings. I think Oilers fans need to keep supporting their team, and sell out EVERY GAME and maybe ownership will step up and keep the players they need to build around and you can get back to contention status.
Too bad the Canucks aren't "Small Market" like Burke always claims. The Oilers had 30 or 31 sellouts last year. They are projected to have all games sold out this year. What more do you expect?

10-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Reign Nateo

Don't try and act like Vancouver is the only city that heckles the away team, I've seen Canuck games in Toronto, Calgary, Los Angeles, and Edmonton and I was heckled in the same fashion for wearing the Canucks jersey. Canuck fans are not alone in thier behavior, in fact the only place I feared for my safety was in Edmonton, and I saw a game in freakin LA! Drunken slubs are everywhere, it is unfair to label fans.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Oiler fans, face it, you're not a dynasty any longer you are in a rebuilding phase as the Canucks have been through many times. Too bad you have to constantly trade away all your decent players (weight, niinimaa, carter, soon to be comrie) to name a few or maybe you'd be where vancouver is and will be for the next few seasons in the standings. I think Oilers fans need to keep supporting their team, and sell out EVERY GAME and maybe ownership will step up and keep the players they need to build around and you can get back to contention status.
You were doing ok until you tried to talk about the facts, obviously you're not aware of what they are.

For starters, the Oilers sold roughly 98.5% of their tickets last season, attendance isn't a concern. Their inability to compete comes from their unwillingness to lose money (unlike the 'nux who have lost money hand over fist every year except for the last season, and who are still for sale) and their lack of bigtime tv revenue like the Americans get from MSGTV, PASS, etc.

They also lack the tax breaks from all levels of government, and the free arena.

So before you go voicing your opinion, make sure you have at least the slightest clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
The Canucks have never won anything of note, and yet they still have support, and now that they are actually icing a decent team they get called bandwagon fans.
FYI, band wagon jumping refers to the people who show up to watch the team when they're successful who couldn't be bothered coming out otherwise.

I've lived in the lower mainland for the last 13 years and I've seen the Nux' support fluctuate drastically over that whole period. Half of the people I know who consider themselves "Canuck fans" now were bigger Detroit, Boston, or Philadelphia fans b4 Bure came here. Quick to crow about every bit of success they have, and when they're losing you never hear a peep.

You got one regular season win and now you're trying to shrug off your reputation of having a bunch of BWJ'ers and pass it on to us. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
You were doing ok until you tried to talk about the facts, obviously you're not aware of what they are.

For starters, the Oilers sold roughly 98.5% of their tickets last season, attendance isn't a concern. Their inability to compete comes from their unwillingness to lose money (unlike the 'nux who have lost money hand over fist every year except for the last season, and who are still for sale) and their lack of bigtime tv revenue like the Americans get from MSGTV, PASS, etc.

They also lack the tax breaks from all levels of government, and the free arena.

So before you go voicing your opinion, make sure you have at least the slightest clue what you're talking about.

FYI, band wagon jumping refers to the people who show up to watch the team when they're successful who couldn't be bothered coming out otherwise.

I've lived in the lower mainland for the last 13 years and I've seen the Nux' support fluctuate drastically over that whole period. Half of the people I know who consider themselves "Canuck fans" now were bigger Detroit, Boston, or Philadelphia fans b4 Bure came here. Quick to crow about every bit of success they have, and when they're losing you never hear a peep.

You got one regular season win and now you're trying to shrug off your reputation of having a bunch of BWJ'ers and pass it on to us. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Hey it's too bad living in the lower mainland for the last 13 years hasn't helped your reading skills I know exactly what bandwagon fans refer to... and as I wrote in my post, it was pretty much 30 years of crapola that turned a city of avid fans into bandwagoners ... er... if that's a word. Look my whole point is that Canucks fans have never really had anything to fall back on during the thin times, while even a team like the Flames that is suffering mostly from bad judgment (yes, along with the smaller market), have a SC to look back on, as well as years of excellent play. The Oilers have five times that. The Canucks have one good run, and one flukey run to the finals. Gee... now I'm rabidly sustained

Old
10-12-2003, 10:56 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
I agree with you 100%, however I have two legs to stand one, first the reason the Canucks have sucked for som many years is poor management, ****** ownership and bad coaching, not because your team has had its financial hands tied, you have not seen great player after great player leave because of money, rather due to poor trades, i.e. Pederson for Neely. Our situation is by far more frustrating I believe....
But that is exactly why it's worse being a Canucks fan! There's no one to blame but years and years and years after.... years and years and more fricken years of bad judgement, crappy trades, stupid drafting and missed opportunities. The Fiscal stuff blows goats, but that alone isn't the complete reason for mediocrity or failure. But I agree, it must be very very annoying.

Also for those of you (not cram), who keep quoting Burkes small market comments... I believe he made them when the Nucks budget (due to the small fan base), was just under or around the 30 mil level, and pretty much inline with the Alta franchises or the Sens. I would think that the large bellowing one would concider the present Canucks (with the stronger dollar), more of a mid market team.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:38 PM
orcatown

The Canucks have their usual quota of jerk fans. Usually they are the loud mouths that are the first to desert the team when things go bad. But to say support for the Canucks runs shallow is wrong. The Canucks have unreal community support. Same goes for Edmonton.

But let's face one thing. Edmonton did crow when they had their great teams. Man they put up a sign declaring they were the city of Champions on the edge of town. If Canuck fans feel some level of pride that we have a half decent team what's wrong with that. Every team that does at times.

As far as the ragging on fans from other places that's part of the game. As long as it's done without threats then there is little wrong with that. I've been at Toronto-Canuck games when the fans are going back and forth and 99% of it is good natured. If I was to show up at a Edmonton home game in a Canuck jersey I'd expect to get my fair share of ribbing. I expect that those Edmonton fans, at the game the other night, would have been rubbing it if Edmonton had beat the Canucks.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:47 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
But let's face one thing. Edmonton did crow when they had their great teams. Man they put up a sign declaring they were the city of Champions on the edge of town. If Canuck fans feel some level of pride that we have a half decent team what's wrong with that. Every team that does at times.

As far as the ragging on fans from other places that's part of the game.
Agree completely that the Oilers fans of the Cup years were pretty arrogant. imo today's Oiler fan is alot easier to deal with, and I was one then and I am one now.

I agree ragging on other team's fans is part of the game, but imo Canucks fans have decided to drop by and dump on this board of late.

No biggie, we'll survive.

I just though you all were a little nicer, that's all.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:06 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:

First of all, don't the Oilers get help from the provinical lottery? Tax breaks from the government. Hmm, I'm not aware of Vancouver getting any either or a free arena. How come we can have a $42 million payroll, keep our players, and make over $10 million in revenue last season? And why do the Oilers continue to lose money then if attendance isn't the problem?
"Revenue is not a problem. Spending is a problem." - Cal Nichols
http://www.slam.ca/Slam031012/nhl_cba3-sun.html

Go look at attendance figures (or even easier, just take our word for it ) , attendance isn't a problem.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:09 AM
Digger12

Quote:
First of all, don't the Oilers get help from the provinical lottery? Tax breaks from the government. Hmm, I'm not aware of Vancouver getting any either or a free arena. How come we can have a $42 million payroll, keep our players, and make over $10 million in revenue last season? And why do the Oilers continue to lose money then if attendance isn't the problem?
OK, now I'm confused. Is this 42 million payroll based on this year or last year's budget?

According to http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...511#post291511, the Canucks' budget last year was only 32.3 million, and they pocketed an extra 10 to 12 million on profit due to one extra playoff round. Is this the source of their big windfall?

Speaking of provincial lotteries...here's the Canucks getting on that gravy train too:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030929/nhl_van-cp.html

One last thing: If the Canucks are such a moneymaking machine, why are they currently up for sale?

With the CBA war looming, how much would you like to wager that no teams are going to be bragging about how much $$ they made the year before? I'll bet that supposed $10 Million profit is going to go through some 'revision' as the year goes on...

Old
10-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I am a little concerned that the thread is off the topic a bit here. For any one to bash the Oilers franchise is a joke.

I hate the Oilers. Every Oiler fan here knows it, and I won't hide it.

But the fact remains they are easily one of the top 5 franchises in professional sports. I can name only four others that are more successful based on the circumstances they are in. Big money franchises don't count when I say this because the Oilers do everything they can to survive. They won 5 stanley cups the right way, and have struggled to develop their young players... until just recently. I wager the Oilers will be a top notch team in 2005/06 because of their development.

On Saturday night they wer scared to make a mistake and that is why they lost.

Now as for the original post. There are some really stupid Canucks fans that make me embarassed to be one. To the Oiler fans that get harassed I apologize simply because Vanouver does have some of the best fans in the league.

But I do not want to see any Canucks fans questioning the Oilers Organization, team, fans or city. It wouldn't still be there if they didn't care.

I respect the Oilers, and so should every hockey fan.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

-They get the revenue from the scratch and wins that they and the Flames put out and market themselves, the teams have only made about $600,000 each over the past two seasons combined.

-No they don't get any tax breaks.

-It's not the Canucks that are buying up all of our ufa's or driving the market up to astronomical levels either. The Oilers lose their players to American teams.

The Canucks situation right now is good because their ultra wealthy ownership built an 18,500 seat arena with over 100 luxury boxes for them to play in.

But don't go thinking that the picture is all that rosy just going by the numbers.

The Canucks owner is trying to sell the team and keep the building, there's no way he's going to put a $10M loss on the Canucks' books and show a huge profit for Orca Bay, so creative acounting just moves the dollar figures around to make the team look attractive on the open market.

If the 'Nux are bought the numbers will be back to normal.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
I am a little concerned that the thread is off the topic a bit here. For any one to bash the Oilers franchise is a joke.

But the fact remains they are easily one of the top 5 franchises in professional sports. I can name only four others that are more successful based on the circumstances they are in. Big money franchises don't count when I say this because the Oilers do everything they can to survive. They won 5 stanley cups the right way, and have struggled to develop their young players... until just recently. I wager the Oilers will be a top notch team in 2005/06 because of their development.

Now as for the original post. There are some really stupid Canucks fans that make me embarassed to be one. To the Oiler fans that get harassed I apologize simply because Vanouver does have some of the best fans in the league.

But I do not want to see any Canucks fans questioning the Oilers Organization, team, fans or city. It wouldn't still be there if they didn't care.

You should really change your name to classiest Canuck fan. Excellent post.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:57 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:

Whats the population in Vancouver and the surrounding area what 2.5 Million people at whats Edmonton 800.000 thousand i think that could effect the attendence but stop the bikkering Oilers lost Canucks won there's 5 more games to get back on track just put Isbister back with Smyth and Hemsky and you will have a 2 goal game from Izzy against Calgary. A guy can dream cant he

Old
10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Yorkiegirl161861

I can't speak for what goes on in Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton since I'm out here in NJ USA. I've attended many hockey rivarly games over the years and like everyone else I've seen fans make complete idiots out of themselves. A Philadelphia Flyers/ New Jersey Devils game is not really one you want to bring the kids to. That has grown to a vicious rivarly where the NJ State Police come out in the stands during the game to help maintain order. The bashing "festivities" start in the parking lot and carry on long after the end of the game. Back in 2000 during the Eastern Conference playoffs, a Devils fan sitting in his seat at the First Union Center in Philly was beaten by a bunch of Flyers fans. There was a picture of it in the paper and online as well. It was easily five against one. It looked brutal even in print. So idiot fans are all over.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:47 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan

Oooooohhh... Like LT said, you are classy. You silver tongued devil, you.
This could be the beginning of a beautiful love/hate relationship.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
KrazyCanuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
Yeah, they are idiots, some guy tried to shove me as he pointed at my Oilers jersey laughing, what a bunch of *******s! I did manage to get the balls to stand up after two guys were heckling me with an "Oilers Suck" chant, I turned around and yelled to the top of my lungs "maybe they suck, but I'll take the five cups" THey stopped bothering me after that for a while and then they started a "Comrie" chant, which was pretty funny I must say!
This story has Bull$*** written all over it......

Old
10-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck19
Kind of like your posts, eh?

Old
10-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Kind of like your posts, eh?
just wondering for all oiler fans, do you guys hack down every team and their fans for beating your team?

Old
10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Oilers Hockey

No, I've seen krazycanuck19 troll boards other than this one, and I refuse to be cordial to some s***head who has nothing of revelance to say other than "Your full of bull" or "Oilers are an AHL team they suck the Canucks are the SHIZNIT! w00t!"

I really hate that. But you are most welcome here.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
No, I've seen krazycanuck19 troll boards other than this one, and I refuse to be cordial to some s***head who has nothing of revelance to say other than "Your full of bull" or "Oilers are an AHL team they suck the Canucks are the SHIZNIT! w00t!"

I really hate that. But you are most welcome here.

Well thanks, im more or less new here so im not acustumed to krazycanucks *ways* Its fine to be mad at a team but i've just seen lots of personal attacks from both sides of fans that I though was childish. I hope the oilers do better against their next opponents, for I really like the oil. Who do they play next by the way?

Old
10-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Oilers Hockey

Battle of Alberta on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll kick ass. I hate Calgary, some might say the BOA is fading, but its still strong in my heart. Even when I think about them: I still hate the fricking Flames!

Old
10-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Battle of Alberta on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll kick ass. I hate Calgary, some might say the BOA is fading, but its still strong in my heart. Even when I think about them: I still hate the fricking Flames!
should be a good game. Calgary is better than last year. Should be high flying and lots of scraps. Canucks face Columbus tonight....if we play against them like we did against the oil we should win 5-0 easily. I cant wait for the next oil-nux game for a Izzy vs. Jovo re-match

Old
10-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
should be a good game. Calgary is better than last year. Should be high flying and lots of scraps. Canucks face Columbus tonight....if we play against them like we did against the oil we should win 5-0 easily. I cant wait for the next oil-nux game for a Izzy vs. Jovo re-match
The Oilers, Avs and WIngs are the Canucks main rivalries. If any fan can't get up for those games, then they don't live hockey. I admit I am an in the closet Oilers fan for 1 reason... I want the Oilers to be good because when they are, it means something to beat them, and vice versa. And what is wrong with that?

Old
10-13-2003, 06:26 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck19
Hmm, yeah...I made the whole thing up, damn, you saw right through me inspector gadget!

Closed Thread