HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo merged thread for proposals -- new threads will be deleted

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Melrose'sMullet

vCash: 500
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...gane_1120.html

I think the writing is on the wall...

Old
11-20-2005, 05:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Keenan can only hope it will be different with Luongo. It doesn't hurt that Luongo, a native of Montreal, married into a close-knit Coral Springs family last summer and considers South Florida his U.S. home. But he also wants to win. And he can't understand why management all but blamed him during the arbitration hearing for the Panthers' inability to make the playoffs since his arrival in 2001.

"We said in the beginning: He wants to see the team going somewhere," Lupien said of Luongo, who can become an unrestricted free agent in July 2007. "He's a winner. You can't tell him he's a bad kid because he wants to win.

For their own good they should trade him, but then again what does that say to your fans, and who is to think that Luongo would re-sign. If he is so close-knit in his family, that would be some **** if he went and signed in Tampa Bay.

Old
11-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
For their own good they should trade him, but then again what does that say to your fans, and who is to think that Luongo would re-sign. If he is so close-knit in his family, that would be some **** if he went and signed in Tampa Bay.
I said the same thing when the team took him to arbitration and predicted he would leave as an UFA. But I think TB just won't have the cash to give him a good deal after signing St. Louis and Lecavalier this past summer and needing to re-sign Richards as well in the near future.

And for people that say that teams don't trade intra-divisionally, Florida has traded for Ozolinsh from Carolina in the past and traded Boyle to TB. If a team offered up a good deal, regardless of what division/conference they play in, then they should take the best offer.

Old
11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Peter Griffin

I'm not 100% sure I'd make a deal like this, but I think it could be a deal that Keenan could be interested in. To get a player such as Luongo, you have to give to get, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some young talent in order to get him.

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo($3.2 mil)
Sean Hill($1.52 mil)

To Florida

Dan Cloutier($2.5 mil)
Bryan Allen($941,441)
Ryan Kesler($722,000)
Julien Ellis or Corey Schnieder

This would be a deal that happens close to the deadline, or even in the off-season(in which case Hill would not be involved).

The Canucks get an all-star #1 goalie which they haven't had since the McLean days of the early 90's. Adding Luongo to the current core would make the Canucks favorites to win the west I'd think. They also get a reliable veteran in Sean Hill to help ease the loss of Allen.

The Panthers get a decent #1 goalie in Dan Cloutier has had no problem being a solid starter in the regular season, playoffs being a different story. Who knows what a change can bring though? The Panthers also get a great young d-man in Bryan Allen whos tough, physical and solid defensively playing close to 20 min/game, with lots of PK time, for a top team. He'd make a nice pairing with Bouwmeester for the long run. In Kesler the Panthers get a solid defensive center who is only 21 years old. He plays with a tonne of heart and has played well in limited minutes in a defensive role thus far. He's got great speed and a nice shot which saw him put up solid numbers last season with the Manitoba Moose. A definite Keenan favorite. Lastly the Panthers also get a good goaltending prospect.

Old
11-21-2005, 04:09 PM
IcedTea

I'd just like to point out that the Canucks could make cap space to fit a long term contract in next year.

Jovo = 4 million
Cloutier = 2.5 million
Linden = 1.5 million

= 8 million

Next year

Linden = .8 million
Bourdon = .85 million
Luongo = 6.5 million

= 8.2 millon

That leaves almost 6.5 million to sign Luongo, which should be enough to sign him. Linden could sign for the minimum, or even retire, but I think .8 million is the max him or a replacement would get.

Old
11-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I'm not 100% sure I'd make a deal like this, but I think it could be a deal that Keenan could be interested in. To get a player such as Luongo, you have to give to get, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some young talent in order to get him.

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo($3.2 mil)
Sean Hill($1.52 mil)

To Florida

Dan Cloutier($2.5 mil)
Bryan Allen($941,441)
Ryan Kesler($722,000)

This would be a deal that happens close to the deadline, or even in the off-season(in which case Hill would not be involved).

The Canucks get an all-star #1 goalie which they haven't had since the McLean days of the early 90's. Adding Luongo to the current core would make the Canucks favorites to win the west I'd think. They also get a reliable veteran in Sean Hill to help ease the loss of Allen.

The Panthers get a decent #1 goalie in Dan Cloutier has had no problem being a solid starter in the regular season, playoffs being a different story. Who knows what a change can bring though? The Panthers also get a great young d-man in Bryan Allen whos tough, physical and solid defensively playing close to 20 min/game, with lots of PK time, for a top team. He'd make a nice pairing with Bouwmeester for the long run. In Kesler the Panthers get a solid defensive center who is only 21 years old. He plays with a tonne of heart and has played well in limited minutes in a defensive role thus far. He's got great speed and a nice shot which saw him put up solid numbers last season with the Manitoba Moose. A definite Keenan favorite. Lastly the Panthers also get a good goaltending prospect.
I don't have my calculator out or anything, but that'd be cutting it awful close to the cap for Vancouver.

Still this is one of the better deals I've seen, good stuff!

Old
11-22-2005, 12:31 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo($3.2 mil)
Sean Hill($1.52 mil)

To Florida

Dan Cloutier($2.5 mil)
Bryan Allen($941,441)
Ryan Kesler($722,000)

No thank you.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
There seems to continue to be conflicting reports. I look over at Hockey Informer for my fantasy hockey team to check starting goalies but this tidbit was interesting:
Quote:
Roberto Luongo, Florida Panthers - A Canadian Sports Televison network reports that Avalanche have contacted the Panthers regarding Roberto Luongo. With Aebischer's recent struggles and Luongo's contract situation, a trade could make sense for both teams. The Avalanche did not comment, while the Panthers denied it.
But then this was in the local paper this morning (mostly with regard to the waiving of Krapo):
Quote:
Keenan said he has spoken to other GMs in the past few weeks. "Not specifically for players but they've called and asked if we're doing anything," he said. When asked if reports in Toronto of the Panthers possibly shopping goalie Roberto Luongo or defenseman Jay Bouwmeester were true, Keenan said, "There's never been any discussion regarding those two players at all this season."
Keenan is notorious for misinformation with the media so a denial may mean nothing at all. I'm not sure if Florida would necessarily want Aebischer but would at least give them a servicable goalie. But I think Budaj would be better for what Florida is doing in the near future. But then it would require Hejduk in addition to Budaj to get Luongo. With FL acquiring Semenov, I think that makes it unlikely that they'd want Vaananen either (though if he was included, Florida should include Sean Hill in the deal). They'd probably want Wolski also but I'd say they'd have to give up someone like Stewart to make it work.

1st Source: http://hockeyinformer.com/web/fantasy/goalies/
2nd Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

Old
11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
RoyIsALegend*

That first part is hilarious.

"A Canadian Sports Television network reports..."

LOL!

Can we have a name, please!?!

Again, if the trade has to involve either of Alex Tanguay or Milan Hejduk, it won't get done. Luongo wants to play for a contender and trading one of those two guys eliminates the Avs from that category.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn
I said the same thing when the team took him to arbitration and predicted he would leave as an UFA. But I think TB just won't have the cash to give him a good deal after signing St. Louis and Lecavalier this past summer and needing to re-sign Richards as well in the near future.

And for people that say that teams don't trade intra-divisionally, Florida has traded for Ozolinsh from Carolina in the past and traded Boyle to TB. If a team offered up a good deal, regardless of what division/conference they play in, then they should take the best offer.
You don't trade an All-Star goalie to a division rival.

Old
11-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There seems to continue to be conflicting reports. I look over at Hockey Informer for my fantasy hockey team to check starting goalies but this tidbit was interesting:
Yeah I don't think we can rely on much information from now on. If Luongo is making a demmand in any his value plummets. Hell this may be the work of a provacateur feeding a rumor to the press to get the situation to explode. If this were coming from Brooks, Strachan or Garrioch I'd be sure it was a sower of discord.

Old
11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Florida would want Aebischer IMO...Budaj hasn't proven anything, yet. Aebi on the other hand has been to the playoffs...won in the playoffs, played behind the greatest, and was on a SC team. Florida needs players lke him to bring leadership to their team.

Old
11-22-2005, 02:20 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
Florida would want Aebischer IMO...Budaj hasn't proven anything, yet. Aebi on the other hand has been to the playoffs...won in the playoffs, played behind the greatest, and was on a SC team. Florida needs players lke him to bring leadership to their team.
lol

Old
11-22-2005, 04:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet

Aebischer has done nothing but look horrible against the Sharks in the playoffs. Any high-pressure situation has not necessarily turned out well. Just look at the 2002 Olympics.

Old
11-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Coolburn

I'd use the Patrick Roy deal as a comparison. So a young goaltender would be coming back in the deal most likely. Thus, why I doubt its Aebischer and more likely Budaj. But there needs to be a quality winger involved from Colorado. Kovalenko was 25 when he was traded plus already a proven 20 goal scorer (later went on to score 30+). Rucinsky was 24 when he was traded and went on to have multiple 20+ goal scoring seasons. Keane was a solid 3rd liner but was 28/29. Colorado would have to move some salary though to keep Roberto long term. So maybe I'm wrong about it included Wolski as well but I think a deal that was built around Budaj and Hejduk would work for both teams. The reduction in goals by losing Hejduk is made up for by having Luongo prevent more goals (and can win games on his own).

Old
11-22-2005, 05:41 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Aebischer has done nothing but look horrible against the Sharks in the playoffs. Any high-pressure situation has not necessarily turned out well. Just look at the 2002 Olympics.
Yeah, he really should've done better with that powerhouse Switzerland.

Old
11-22-2005, 05:42 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
I'd use the Patrick Roy deal as a comparison. So a young goaltender would be coming back in the deal most likely. Thus, why I doubt its Aebischer and more likely Budaj. But there needs to be a quality winger involved from Colorado. Kovalenko was 25 when he was traded plus already a proven 20 goal scorer (later went on to score 30+). Rucinsky was 24 when he was traded and went on to have multiple 20+ goal scoring seasons. Keane was a solid 3rd liner but was 28/29. Colorado would have to move some salary though to keep Roberto long term. So maybe I'm wrong about it included Wolski as well but I think a deal that was built around Budaj and Hejduk would work for both teams. The reduction in goals by losing Hejduk is made up for by having Luongo prevent more goals (and can win games on his own).
You say David Aebischer is too old, at 27, but yet Milan Hejduk is perfect at 29 years of age?

Old
11-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Yeah, and anyone who watched the Sharks-Avs series can clearly see that Abby should have scored at least 2-3 goals in those 1-0 loses..

Old
11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Switzerland didn't play Sweden, Canada and Finland. Switzerland played Ukrane, Austria, France and Belarus and only won 2 of those games

Old
11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Slump or no Hedjuk isn't going anywhere, he signed a five year deal for bellow market value to stay with the team, you simply cannot toss him three months into the deal, much less to a rebuilding team. Tanguay you have shot at, there's good depth at Left Wing (Konowalchuk, Laaksonen, Brunette).

I don't know if you are reffering to next season or this, but the Avs have a ton of money freeing up after this year which should leave enough room to get Luongo extended. This season the Avs have a bit of cap space and Luongo's relatively cheap contract would make it easier to get him under. If it comes down to it Boughner or Sauer (if you want someone useful) could be a throw in to balnce the money.

Old
11-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Switzerland didn't play Sweden, Canada and Finland. Switzerland played Ukrane, Austria, France and Belarus and only won 2 of those games
The Slovaks didn't make it out of the opening round either, think it could have anything to do with Bettman keeping the league going during the preliminary round and a lack of team cohesiveness?

Yeah his 2 OT wins facing elimination 2.33 GAA and .906 pct killed us in that series. 7 goals in support should have been enough for him to work with. At least we're not trying to trade that stiff Luongo, he's got to be worse than Aebischer because he could only must one win against him that post season.

Old
11-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
No thank you.
Not enough value going to Florida? Not interested in a package of young players? Not interested in those particular players?

I dunno, I'd say the offer I made is better than the one some Avs fans have been flashing around, and many Panthers fans liked that one.

Old
11-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiggitystank
I don't have my calculator out or anything, but that'd be cutting it awful close to the cap for Vancouver.
Yea, the Canucks would probably have to dump a salary somewhere else. Keep in mind though that this would be a deal that would happen at or near the trade deadline, so most of Luongo's $3.2 mil salary would be paid for. But with the Canucks' payroll already over $38 mil, a salary somewhere else would likely have to go.

Old
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
You say David Aebischer is too old, at 27, but yet Milan Hejduk is perfect at 29 years of age?
I never said Aebi was too old. I just said using the Roy trade as a basis, a young goaltender like Budaj would be more likely to be coming back in return. And Hejduk's age is a concern but Florida is desparate for goal scorers. Because he's signed long term for an affordable amount, it makes a lot of sense for Florida's cheap ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Slump or no Hedjuk isn't going anywhere, he signed a five year deal for bellow market value to stay with the team, you simply cannot toss him three months into the deal, much less to a rebuilding team. Tanguay you have shot at, there's good depth at Left Wing (Konowalchuk, Laaksonen, Brunette).

I don't know if you are reffering to next season or this, but the Avs have a ton of money freeing up after this year which should leave enough room to get Luongo extended. This season the Avs have a bit of cap space and Luongo's relatively cheap contract would make it easier to get him under. If it comes down to it Boughner or Sauer (if you want someone useful) could be a throw in to balnce the money.
Well the difference is that Tanguay isn't really a goal scorer and that's what Florida needs most. Tanguay is an excellent player but I figured that it makes more sense for Colorado to hang onto Tanguay as their other future franchise player alongside Luongo. Hejduk is a franchise player now and that's what Florida needs if they give up a franchise player in Luongo. Also, if COL doesn't deal Aebi to FL, then he can be dealt for some depth on the right wing (or in my suggestion, including RW Anthony Stewart who will return in mid January when I think any team may be more inclined to trade for Luongo when a contract can be renegotiated).

I was referring to this season since Colorado is fairly close to the cap (I'm not sure exactly but TSN shows it at about $38M). To get Luongo under the cap, you'd have to deal someone with an almost equivalent salary for this yr with equivalent trade value.

Old
11-22-2005, 07:42 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Mike Keenan is attending the Canucks game tonight (Mojo radio).

Closed Thread