HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Face the Facts on Legwand

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Stars-Preds

vCash: 500
Time to Face the Facts on Legwand

As you can tell from my user name I'm a David Legwand fan. Mostly because he was the first draft choice of this franchise so I'll been a fan ever since (like some of you I'm sure).

But after watching the game today where he had an opportunity to win the game for his team and couldn't it's time to fact the facts (as many of you have already done): David Legwand is not and most likely will never be a first line center.

He's not the player we thought we drafted and he never will be. I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's actually a very good player. He is an amazing skater, good penalty killer, dependable on offense and defense. But he's never going to become Mike Modano like we thought he would. He's not going to be like the player drafted one spot ahead of him.

There are plenty of maybes with Legwand: maybe if he were in a different system, maybe if Trotz wasn't his coach, maybe he was rushed to the NHL ...

But maybe he's just a very good second line center who can chip in 15-20 goals, 30-40 assists and kill penalties. I think we and the organization need to accept that and move on.

Let's go get a No. 1 center right now. We are loaded with prospects and over the next few months the price of a No. 1 center will only go up. Let's start asking teams right now.

Old
11-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Uppie101

I agree totally. Leggy would be a better player in a different system.

Old
11-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Attack! Attack! Your toying with the hearts of many here 11.

Before I pass any more judgement, I'm still saying its early and witholding a lot of comments. That being said, during this time in which I am evaluating him, a missed penalty shot in OT doesn't help. But I didn't get to see it due to some pissy cable screw-ups, so I don't know what went down. But really, all that matters is what shows up in the scoring column. Or, what doesn't show up in the scoring column.

Old
11-05-2005, 11:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

on one hand, you can fault him for missing the penalty shot...

but on the other, it's not like he shot wide. he made two nice fakes that didn't fool labarbera, who is having a very nice rookie season. Neither Gamache nor Zidlicky fooled Labarbera in the shootout with their moves, either.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:11 AM
dulzhok

I faced the facts a long time ago... He's a plugger on a scoring line.

In simple terms... He's never going to be a true scoring line player. He will never be a constant scoring threat. He will never be an offensive difference maker, game-in and game-out.

On a scoring line, he's a plugger... a guy that won't totally embarass themselves, but not someone that will consistently gerenate offense.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Qubax

But he's not a plugger....plugger's don't have immense skill like he does...

Now maybe he's underachieving...and a bust....but he is anything but a plugger....his offensive skills are sick....he just may never translate that because he's a poop smack into NHL performance

Old
11-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Avery4Byng*

Send him to the Canucks please. Thank yyyoooou.

Old
11-08-2005, 08:40 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
But he's not a plugger....plugger's don't have immense skill like he does...

Now maybe he's underachieving...and a bust....but he is anything but a plugger....his offensive skills are sick....he just may never translate that because he's a poop smack into NHL performance
He might have immense offensive skill in a game of pond hockey, where things are wide open with minimal defensive pressure (not too different from a Swiss 2 league). But in the NHL, things are different. He doesn't handle defensive pressure well at all. His decision making process in the offensive zone is VERY slow. He stays clear of any physical battles. On the few occasions that he does venture into a "battle", it's a joke. He might have the "skill", but he doesn't have what it takes to be a consistent offensive presence in the NHL. There are just way too many holes in his offensive NHL game, few of which have improved over the years.

He won't embarrass himself on a scoringline, but IMO, it's highly unlikely that he's going to be difference maker, game-in and game-out.

Old
11-16-2005, 02:13 AM
hfboardsuser

Here are some facts on Legwand:

-He was +53/-43 EV in 2003-04.

-0 GF, 1 GA against Fedorov
-0 GF, 0 GA against Modano
-0 GF, 0 GA against Forsberg
-0 GF, 0 GA against Sundin (+49/-38)
-0 GF, 0 GA against Sakic (+59/-39)
-0 GF, 0 GA against Thornton (+69/-44)
-0 GF, 0 GA against Gomez (+61/-38)
-0 GF, 1 GA against Lang (+56/-48)
-0 GF, 1 GA against Datsyuk
-0 GF, 1 GA against Richards

Old
11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I find it very interesting that our PP has calmed down and started to produce with Legwand getting more time.

Old
11-18-2005, 04:36 AM
F A N

Just wondering. Would Predator fans rather have Cheechoo? The deal seems really lopsided now. But yes send Legwand to the Canucks!

Old
11-18-2005, 04:49 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

no

Closed Thread