HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WGR Talk/TBN/local sports talk

Old
06-15-2017, 02:07 PM
rtfirefly

vCash: 500
In another thread, a few days ago, there was a reference to John Vogl's breathless tweet announcing:

"Intriguing flight leaving Pegula's home base and swinging by Nashville suburb on way to Buffalo today."

Obviously, I don't know anything about how, when, or where the Sabres were in contact with Housley.
I do know a thing or two about lazy reporting and the obsession of "reporters" to self-importantly toss out what they've "discovered" without bothering to learn anything about the surrounding circumstances.
As I say, I don't know anything about the Sabres contacts with Housley. But when Vogl proclaims that the flight left "Pegula's home base" he obviously couldn't be bothered to weigh the facts that the plane is not one previously used by the Pegulas, that the plane is owned by the Hamister Group (plainly stated on the flight info) and that Hamister's Florida home is near Pegula's, and he would presumably use the same airport. There also happens to be a Hamister-owned and recently-renovated hotel just minutes from the Tennessee airport where the plane stopped. The facts were there to see that the flight in question was from one Hamister home to another, on a plane owned by Hamister, and with a stop next to a Hamister property. But, irresponsibly ignoring the facts and refusing to mention the very possible alternate explanation, Vogl—as is s.o.p with the News,—throws his info out there without bothering to do the "reporting" that would have provided context, if not explanation. Ugh.

Last edited by rtfirefly: 06-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
rtfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 02:10 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Vogl is one of the few tolerables, too...

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Can anyone give me a feed to some decent live NHL talk right now? WGR is unsurprisingly not live and local right now, of course...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 07:24 AM
sabrebuild

I swear to god I just heard Hamilton say he would have traded 8th pick to get rid of bogo... wtf

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Ace

That's crazy.

I'd try to trade down first and then trade that pick.

Guys...he's a terrible player on an embarrassing contract.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
That's crazy.

I'd try to trade down first and then trade that pick.

Guys...he's a terrible player on an embarrassing contract.
Trading a 1st to get rid of Bogo is an embarrassing suggestion

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 08:05 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
I swear to god I just heard Hamilton say he would have traded 8th pick to get rid of bogo... wtf
He also suggested playing hardball with Lehner if he wanted more than $3 mil. Dude is an idiot.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 08:15 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
He also suggested playing hardball with Lehner if he wanted more than $3 mil. Dude is an idiot.
Funnily enough I sort of agree on Lehner. But ya he is an idiot. He used to be less brutal, but every time I hear him now he says multiple nonsense points.

Old
06-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait

Is it just me or do The Instigators need new mics? They distort all the time - especially Rivet. That's crazy on a podcast but this is an actual radio show.

Also, can Peters not repeat the guest's name and their names every other minute? Ugh.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 01:24 PM
dasaybz
da saybz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I won't ever be able to take him seriously after the whole Eichel thing right after the season. He's lost a ton of credibility in my eyes.

Also, why does he put so much emphasis on Reinhart and the O'Reilly practices? My goodness give it a rest. If I were the Sabres players, this guy would get almost no response out of me if he ever interviewed me.

dasaybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 02:29 PM
sabrebuild

Schopp with more brilliance.

Scandella, no thank you for 4 million. Too much money for a guy who I don't know therefore zero respect, is he better than bogo or anyone we already have.

Shattenkirk in free agency sign me up!!!

Such a clown.

Old
06-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Cirris

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
Schopp with more brilliance.

Scandella, no thank you for 4 million. Too much money for a guy who I don't know therefore zero respect, is he better than bogo or anyone we already have.

Shattenkirk in free agency sign me up!!!

Such a clown.
Schopp just coasts along. He does very little actual research into his topics. I feel like he cares little about the sports he covers. He just knows enough to keep local layman listeners tuned in.

Even then I'm not sure if because he's good at his job or it's the only REAL local sports radio channel in town.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Steddy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
Schopp just coasts along. He does very little actual research into his topics. I feel like he cares little about the sports he covers.
I think it was yesterday or a couple days ago Schopp was talking about how clueless other radio shows he listens to are. I think he said so bad he would have to turn them off. I laughed. Clueless

Steddy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steddy33 View Post
I think it was yesterday or a couple days ago Schopp was talking about how clueless other radio shows he listens to are. I think he said so bad he would have to turn them off. I laughed. Clueless

Schopp, and I think he'd admit it, like the advanced stats more than the games. I don't even think he likes them for their practical applications. He just likes the idea of them and the idea of knowing more than you do. It's like that football theory he fell in love with a few years back. The idea was you just never punt. He loved to talk about how stupid NFL coaches were for not doing it.

Tanks4daMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Ace

To be fair...You should punt a whole lot less than teams do. Much closer to never than what we have now. If anyone ever figures out that you only need 2.5 yards per play instead of 3.34 and giving the other team the ball when you don't have to...it would be the biggest revolution in the NFL since the forward pass.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
To be fair...You should punt a whole lot less than teams do. Much closer to never than what we have now. If anyone ever figures out that you only need 2.5 yards per play instead of 3.34 and giving the other team the ball when you don't have to...it would be the biggest revolution in the NFL since the forward pass.
I'm not saying he's wrong. He just gets hung up on things and talks about them ad-nauseum. It's great a high school football coach made it work. But, I think he's selling the NFL coaching minds short if he thinks no one in the league ever even took a look at it.

I just think he's a guy who'd rather play StratoMatic than watch baseball. That's fine. But, he's sleeping while a lot of us are up watching west coast games. Then he act's like we can'thave opinions on players around the league.

Tanks4daMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Husko

Hamilton: Rienhart wasn't that impressive at center. Was better at wing.

Old
06-23-2017, 10:13 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Hamilton: Rienhart wasn't that impressive at center. Was better at wing.
Jesus Christ. I can't take it anymore. I need a war timeout.

Old
06-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Steddy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks4daMemories View Post
Schopp, and I think he'd admit it, like the advanced stats more than the games. I don't even think he likes them for their practical applications. He just likes the idea of them and the idea of knowing more than you do. It's like that football theory he fell in love with a few years back. The idea was you just never punt. He loved to talk about how stupid NFL coaches were for not doing it.
Oh yeah. That's his thing, he just wants to be the smartest guy in the room.

Steddy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks4daMemories View Post
I'm not saying he's wrong. He just gets hung up on things and talks about them ad-nauseum. It's great a high school football coach made it work. But, I think he's selling the NFL coaching minds short if he thinks no one in the league ever even took a look at it.

I just think he's a guy who'd rather play StratoMatic than watch baseball. That's fine. But, he's sleeping while a lot of us are up watching west coast games. Then he act's like we can'thave opinions on players around the league.
The funny thing is he doesn't really understand the advanced stats very well.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 11:09 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The funny thing is he doesn't really understand the advanced stats very well.
No he doesn't. And Im not saying I really know the numbers that we'll myself. But Schopp is there 5 days per week for 4hrs each day, and he literally is like,

"well times have changed and the eye test means nothing. You've got look at the analytics now, and "analytics people" like Travis Yost, who comes on our show and talks to us, don't like Ristolainen so we should trade Ristolainen, because he's terrible. I mean, Corsi, right?"

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:13 AM
joshjull

How does WGR not have the draft on right now? High school sports is on. Thankfully I have satellite radio. But I do like to check in with the locals from time to time.

Old
Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Husko

Is there a reason WGR isn't talking about the draft?

Old
Yesterday, 09:46 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Is there a reason WGR isn't talking about the draft?
I guess we need updates on the high school sports not being played right now.

Old
Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Husko

Hamilton blabbering on about how we are cap strapped and have no cap space because only 2 million came off the books this offseason. Silly me I thought we had over 20 million in cap space because Gionta, Kulikov, and Franson all came off the books...