HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WGR Talk/TBN/local sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2015, 12:47 AM
  #51
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16
 
Push Dr Tracksuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
When Schopp in at his best, he can be really thought provoking; it's the other 85% of the time that puts me off. And I just have to turn the dial, because for at least 50% of the 85% that he's unlistenable, he's trying to pick fights with the listeners.

I have to admit though, that I still listen more than I consider healthy. I don't know what makes me tune in, other than it being emotionally provocative.
The only time I tune into the afternoon show is on demand when I know Schopp had the day off, or if there's sports news I'm desperate to hear.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 08:25 AM
  #52
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 165
If they do lose Simon I hope they're at least smart enough to give the job to Coller.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 09:27 AM
  #53
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16
 
Push Dr Tracksuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
If they do lose Simon I hope they're at least smart enough to give the job to Coller.
Then I wouldn't listen to the morning or evening shows, he's as condescending and obnoxious as Schopp. They need a radio host who can keep the show moving and interject some comedy not another smarter than you sports snob. Any idiot can talk sports (see Simon, Howard), we need someone good at hosting a radio show.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 11:48 AM
  #54
Leelee Phoenix
Registered User
 
Leelee Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hamlet of Ebenezer
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 50
I like Coller, but baseball/hockey stat nerd that debates like your common left-wing kid online is not conducive for Buffalo sports radio. He gets cringeworthy Schoppy bad (i.e. I read box scores and that makes me smarter than people who watch) with his arguments about the Bills sometimes.

His wife needs to stay, though. Her fake announcer voice never fails to make me laugh.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 02:13 PM
  #55
Prospero
Registered User
 
Prospero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
A lot of posters like Brian Duff. He's very professional, button-down in my opinion, not quite bow-tie. Would you listen to him day after day? Duff alone could be boring.

I might not listen to him day after day, but I would feel better with a competent serious professional at the mic, as MC, like Duff. He could do a great show if he did segments with outrageous guests. Ideally, I'd like to see a Ron MacLean/Don Cherry situation with the Cherry figure only on mic for 1/3 of the show.

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2015, 09:07 PM
  #56
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 0
@BuffaloSabres - Former Sabre Robyn Regehr called @SabresHotline to talk retirement and winning the Stanley Cup -

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...-hh-regehr.mp3

Jay McKee was also on todays show - discussed the styles of the coaches he played for. McKee also gave some insight on how he thinks Dan Bylsma will be.

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...7-hh-mckee.mp3

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 10:09 AM
  #57
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 0
@SabresHotline - On #SabresHotline this morning on @WGR550 - @pham1717 at 11:00 am ET and #Sabres prospect @NickBaptiste at 11:30 am ET.

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 11:24 AM
  #58
indigoo
Registered User
 
indigoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 837
vCash: 672
If Howard does leave, I would put my money on Sal Capaccio taking the spot.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 12:57 PM
  #59
Leelee Phoenix
Registered User
 
Leelee Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hamlet of Ebenezer
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 50
I doubt it will be Sal. Morning is primetime for GR, and they need an established name with Jeremy. Plus, Sal has aspirations beyond radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try another instant fail idea like Bauerle and Bulldog back in the day.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 02:11 PM
  #60
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
I doubt it will be Sal. Morning is primetime for GR, and they need an established name with Jeremy. Plus, Sal has aspirations beyond radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try another instant fail idea like Bauerle and Bulldog back in the day.
Agreed. I like sal, but he's more of a football guy. Couldn't see him talking hockey for four hours infebruary. Also, as you pointed out, he's more of a journalist than a radio guy.

I still like coller, I think he's an intelligent and entertaining kid, but as noted above some really don't like him. And I think he has aspirations beyond buffalo. It strikes me that there's such a Darth of radio personalities in such a big sports town.

What's biron doing?

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 03:18 PM
  #61
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Agreed. I like sal, but he's more of a football guy. Couldn't see him talking hockey for four hours infebruary. Also, as you pointed out, he's more of a journalist than a radio guy.

I still like coller, I think he's an intelligent and entertaining kid, but as noted above some really don't like him. And I think he has aspirations beyond buffalo. It strikes me that there's such a Darth of radio personalities in such a big sports town.

What's biron doing?
Actually, the worst case, and possibly most likely, scenario just dawned on me:

Ladies and gentlemen, Paul Hamilton.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 10:02 PM
  #62
Dex
Complementary
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under Deep Cover
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
I like Sal, but I think he is in a role that suits him well. Sideline reporter, beat reporter, frequent show guest and occasional host/co-host. I just don't know how that role fits with a young family.

GR will never, IMO, give Hamilton a permanent morning drive spot. The best is he suited for is what he is doing now - and he is mediocre at best at that. The station could use some fresh blood in the role of Sabres beat reporter but I doubt they would make a change.

I like Coller a lot. Right or wrong with his advanced stats - they are at least facts that can be debated intelligently. I like is on air presence and he seems to be able to talk intelligently with the listeners. I think he is an up and comer whose time has come. I like when he substitute hosts or does the weekend sports talk shift. If GR does not have an opening for him I wonder if he's going to move on.

To be honest, I would not mind seeing Howard move on and giving Coller a chance to see what he can do.

Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2015, 11:24 PM
  #63
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,907
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Actually, the worst case, and possibly most likely, scenario just dawned on me:

Ladies and gentlemen, Paul Hamilton.
Breathing Intensifies.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2015, 03:31 PM
  #64
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 0
Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 -
WGR 550 will be bringing you both of the Sabres Prospects games - September 12 vs New Jersey and September 14 vs Boston. Puck drop is 7:00 pm ET both nights.
I'm very excited to be doing those two prospect games with @APetey76 - @SabresProspects - @duffersabres - It will be so much fun.

Dan Meyer ‏@MeyersMusings -
Programming note for 2015 @UBFootball radio broadcasts on @espn1520 - @BobGaughan replaces @kevsylvester as post-game show host. #Buffalo
I'm told "The Bucky & Sully Show" will no longer air on @WBBZ - instead appearing on @WGRZ starting this fall. Interesting if true. #Buffalo


Last edited by LaxSabre: 08-29-2015 at 03:53 PM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2015, 12:35 PM
  #65
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
@SabresHotline - On #SabresHotline this morning on @WGR550 - @pham1717 at 11:00 am ET and #Sabres prospect @NickBaptiste at 11:30 am ET.
Nicholas Baptiste phoned in to update his summer and what he hopes to accomplish in training camp.

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...h-baptiste.mp3

Wednesday, August 26 - Mike Weber - discussing his game and the team expectations for this season.

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...6-hh-weber.mp3

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2015, 09:18 PM
  #66
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,583
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Anyone have any idea what the deal is between Tim Graham and Matthew Coller?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2015, 09:34 PM
  #67
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 24,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Anyone have any idea what the deal is between Tim Graham and Matthew Coller?
They're both ***** ... tends to up the odds of there being a conflict.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2015, 09:49 PM
  #68
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,583
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
They're both ***** ... tends to up the odds of there being a conflict.
Tim Graham is a 100% grade-A *******. Matthew Coller can be annoying, but not really an *******.

I did more digging.
- This morning on WGR, Howard Simon and Matthew Coller called out Tim Graham (I don't know if they named him specifically) for the tweet/story of Doug Whaley going "rogue". Got into it even further calling them out for making everything (not literally) that happens into a story about front office dysfunction.
- Tim Graham didn't like it, posted on Twitter about WGR having him on the show if they wanted to discuss it. Also proceeded to claim Matthew Coller didn't actually play college baseball like he claimed
- Matthew Coller posts various proof he did
- Tim Graham plays semantics on one hand to "prove" he didn't and ignore actual proof on the other hand

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
  #69
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Anyone have any idea what the deal is between Tim Graham and Matthew Coller?
I know he really, really hated Graham's drama about the 'going rogue' business. But what are you referring to?

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2015, 11:26 PM
  #70
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Tim Graham is a 100% grade-A *******. Matthew Coller can be annoying, but not really an *******.

I did more digging.
- This morning on WGR, Howard Simon and Matthew Coller called out Tim Graham (I don't know if they named him specifically) for the tweet/story of Doug Whaley going "rogue". Got into it even further calling them out for making everything (not literally) that happens into a story about front office dysfunction.
- Tim Graham didn't like it, posted on Twitter about WGR having him on the show if they wanted to discuss it. Also proceeded to claim Matthew Coller didn't actually play college baseball like he claimed
- Matthew Coller posts various proof he did
- Tim Graham plays semantics on one hand to "prove" he didn't and ignore actual proof on the other hand
It boils down to:

Graham is an ass.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 06:18 AM
  #71
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
It boils down to:

Graham is an ass.
It actually boils down to the WGR morning show attacking Graham's credibility without asking him on to defend his work. They essentially accused him of lying and fabricating his story. Understandably Graham was pissed by this. Though he went a little crazy in how he handled it with the baseball stuff.

The entire "rogue" thing was from Two of Graham's sources not from him. That's how the sources described Whaley's actions.

Graham has been on a few radio shows since that report explaining why the sources felt that way. All the WGR morning show had to do, Coller in particular as the producer, was call Graham and have him on. Heaven forbid they have a back and forth with him about his reporting on the team they both cover and work in the same town. Instead they just mocked his reporting and questioned his credibility.


Last edited by joshjull: 09-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
  #72
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,583
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It actually boils down to the WGR morning show attacking Graham's credibility without asking him on to defend his work. They essentially accused him of lying and fabricating his story. Understandably Graham was pissed by this. Though he went a little crazy in how he handled it with the baseball stuff.

The entire "rogue" thing was from Two of Graham's sources not from him. That's how the sources described Whaley's actions.

Graham has been on a few radio shows since that report explaining why the sources felt that way. All the WGR morning show had to do, Coller in particular as the producer, was call Graham and have him on. Heaven forbid they have a back and forth with him about his reporting on the team they both cover and work in the same town. Instead they just mocked his reporting and questioned his credibility.
I already know you and I disagree about how much the "rogue" story matters, so I think it will be hard for us to come close to agreeing on this extension of that story as well.

I agree that them not having Tim Graham on to talk about it is a bit strange, but I do suspect there is a reason. There's possibly already bad blood, and if so likely because Tim Graham is a grade-A *******.

I think Howard Simon's rant was spot on, while I think Matthew Coller went a touch overboard with it, though he was not far off on his points.

Based on everything else we've seen reported, either Tim Graham's sources were wrong in how they characterized the situation, or Tim Graham misinterpreted or misrepresented his sources. Either way, Tim Graham has a responsibility to own up to that. He refuses, instead choosing to be an ******* to everyone.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 09:16 AM
  #73
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Tim Graham has problems. He claims that he looked into Coller after he wasn't impressed with his ability at a charity softball event. To take the time out of your life to do that is super weird IMO. Not to mention he tries to be a cyber-bully on his Twitter account. I think he's on the verge of going full Dater and losing his job over his twitter account.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
  #74
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I already know you and I disagree about how much the "rogue" story matters, so I think it will be hard for us to come close to agreeing on this extension of that story as well.
We do? I don't think its that big a deal. Isn't that your stance? I see it as Whaley not handling something very well, particularly not doing a good job communicating things to the rest of the front office.

How else can you explain a major sponsor having an ad campaign come out the day Jackson is cut. Whaley obviously didn't keep some folks in the loop or was misleading when ask about Jackson's prospects of making the team. You can count Fred Jackson to that group feeling mislead or at least feeling Whaley wasn't up front with them.

It also seems there were coaches against the move.

Quote:
I agree that them not having Tim Graham on to talk about it is a bit strange, but I do suspect there is a reason. There's possibly already bad blood, and if so likely because Tim Graham is a grade-A *******.
Its a lot easier to bash someone's work than have them on to defend it.

Having Graham on would mean they would have to actually think on their feet and back up their assertions. Can't have that.

Quote:
I think Howard Simon's rant was spot on, while I think Matthew Coller went a touch overboard with it, though he was not far off on his points.

Based on everything else we've seen reported, either Tim Graham's sources were wrong in how they characterized the situation, or Tim Graham misinterpreted or misrepresented his sources. Either way, Tim Graham has a responsibility to own up to that. He refuses, instead choosing to be an ******* to everyone
You obviously have a huge issue with Graham and I think it impairs your ability to see this with an open mind. I generally like his reporting and respect him as a reporter. He's also well thought of by his peers. This isn't Bucky we are talking about. Though I can't follow him on twitter for more than a few days before unfollowing again. He spends WAY too much time arguing with detractors and my feed gets flooded with those tweets.

I like Simon and have for years. I usually like Coller as well. Really like when he hosts. I have no ax to grind with the folks involved.


Though I understood his anger. Graham's twitter pissing match with Coller yesterday was childish and creepy.

Not sure what Graham could possibly do that would make you happy. I'm guessing nothing, because you don't believe him or his sources. He's been on a few radio programs explaining why his sources characterized Whaley's actions as they did. There are links to those interviews in his twitter feed. If only there was a local station that could call him and discuss it with him. Then we could have things cleared up.

The WGR folks delve heavily into unsourced rumor mongering and pet theories on why things are happening with the Bills/Sabres. Thats fine and part of what talk radio is about. Yet they're now having a hissy fit over a reporter quoting actual sources saying things they don't like. Its bizarre.

At the end of the day though this is all over the sources making poor use of the word "rogue". Though I get why they did.


Last edited by joshjull: 09-04-2015 at 10:21 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
  #75
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,583
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We do? I don't think its that big a deal. Isn't that your stance? I see it as Whaley not handling something very well, particularly not doing a good job communicating things to the rest of the front office.
Yes, I think using "rogue" was completely incorrect and IIRC you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How else can you explain a major sponsor having an ad campaign come out the day Jackson is cut. Whaley obviously didn't keep some folks in the loop
Only person he should need to keep in the loop is Pegulas and Rex, which according to reports he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its a lot easier to bash someone's work than have them on to defende it. It takes away the possibility you may be wrong or be made to look foolish.

Having Graham on would mean they would have to actually think on their feet and back up their assertions. Can't have that.
I agree here. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they do not want him on air for some reason. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You obviously have a huge issue with Graham and I think it impairs your ability to see this with an open mind.
May be, but I still try to look at his stuff objectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I generally like his reporting and respect him as a reporter.
So do I, mostly. He can be really ****ing good at his job. I will never deny that. I just happen to also think he's a huge ******* on twitter and sometimes tries to create a narrative that isn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Not sure what Graham could possibly do that would make you happy. I'm guessing nothing, because you don't believe him or his sources. He's been on a few radio programs explaining why his sources characterized Whaley's actions as they did.
Own up to either himself or his sources being wrong about saying Whaley "went rogue". They don't think they were wrong, I (and others) do. I thought I made it clear that he should do that already. So that's what would satisfy me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
At the end of the day though this is all over the sources making poor use of the word "rogue". Though I get why they did.
Again we disagree here. You think it was poor use, I think it was a completely incorrect use. It may seem petty to focus on a single word, but that single word drove the narrative and was the crux of Graham's tweet.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.