HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WGR Talk/TBN/local sports talk

Old
09-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Tim Graham has problems. He claims that he looked into Coller after he wasn't impressed with his ability at a charity softball event. To take the time out of your life to do that is super weird IMO. Not to mention he tries to be a cyber-bully on his Twitter account.
Not really. Bullies seek out people to pick on. Graham responds to trolls and puts them in their place. Personally, I love it and I wish more people would do it with these largely-anonymous imbeciles.

And I say all that while still saying that I think he went a bit overboard with the Coller-FLCC Baseball thing. But I see what he was doing: he felt Coller was attempting to undermine his credibility, so he went with the baseball story to try to show that Coller is not credible or truthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I think he's on the verge of going full Dater and losing his job over his twitter account.
Do you have information that he's sexually harassing people on Twitter? Otherwise, I think he's good. I'm fairly certain that he and TBN have an understanding as to how can interact with people on Twitter. In fact, prior to his return to TBN, I think this was an issue the two sides hashed out.

Frankly, I have more of a problem with the way Harrington interacts with the public on Twitter than I do with Graham. Harrington is an a-hole to virtually anyone who disagrees with him on the merits of his arguments (see, e.g., the first months of Tank vs Anti-Tank). Graham doesn't get offended simply because someone has a different POV than he does, he simply takes it further than anyone else if you try to impugn his or his sources' credibility, suggest he's lying, make strawman arguments about what he's reported, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I already know you and I disagree about how much the "rogue" story matters, so I think it will be hard for us to come close to agreeing on this extension of that story as well.

I agree that them not having Tim Graham on to talk about it is a bit strange, but I do suspect there is a reason. There's possibly already bad blood, and if so likely because Tim Graham is a grade-A *******.
Isn't it the case that none of TBN's writers are invited on WGR? I have never heard Vogl on the station. In fact, I don't think I've heard a TBN employee on WGR since Sully stopped doing afternoon appearances w/Schopp and the Bulldog. I don't think the station wants to steal the platform from the WGR guys (Hamilton for hockey, Capaccio for football). I think in cases where you're disputing reports from TBN journalists, it'd be wise to bring them on to at least let them defend themselves, but that's a different issue. It seems there's a directive on high that all team-related news comes from the WGR employee assigned to said team.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 11:22 AM
MLH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And I say all that while still saying that I think he went a bit overboard with the Coller-FLCC Baseball thing. But I see what he was doing: he felt Coller was attempting to undermine his credibility, so he went with the baseball story to try to show that Coller is not credible or truthful.
Except for he was wrong, which ironically further undermines Graham's credibility.

Graham is everything that is wrong with modern journalism. Everything's anonymously sourced, creates narratives that don't exist, loose with facts, purposeful misleadingly vague wording to create stories, twitter meltdowns etc. Considering he implied Coller should lose his job for fabricating something he didn't fabricate, I wonder if there are grounds for a libel suit.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Except for he was wrong, which ironically further undermines Graham's credibility.
That seems to remain in dispute. The school has a list of all individuals who played baseball for FLCC and Coller is not on that list. If the counter to that is "well, that's spring ball," and fall ball is a relative equivalent, why is there no list for fall ball? Also, there appears to be some dispute as to what the AD's e-mail meant when it said "out for the team." That's an interesting word choice.

Quote:
Graham is everything that is wrong with modern journalism. Everything's anonymously sourced,
People tend to like to keep their jobs, so that's the way it's going to be (and the way it's been for a looooong time). Bob McKenzie's stock-and-trade is getting information from anonymous sources; is he, too, what's wrong with journalism?

Quote:
...creates narratives that don't exist, loose with facts, purposeful misleadingly vague wording to create stories, twitter meltdowns etc.
Disagree here. He's the only journalist in that town who can consistently break news before the national outlets. He's right far more than not, too.

Quote:
Considering he implied Coller should lose his job for fabricating something he didn't fabricate, I wonder if there are grounds for a libel suit.
Not even close on a defamation suit. First, he stated that he caught someone in Vegas doing something similar, reported it, and the guy lost his job--that's an objective fact. Second, he can have the opinion that Coller should lose his job--it's an opinion. Third, Coller would likely be considered a public figure so he'd have to prove Graham acted with actual malice, an elevated standard. Coller would have to demonstrate that Graham knew what he was saying was false--this is where the whole "no record of him playing in the school's annals" would be troublesome for Matthew--or acted with reckless disregard for the truth--which is where the whole gray area of fall ball vs spring ball (that seems to be what is considered "playing baseball for FLCC" means, at least to the school) and Graham's actual research into the issue, including speaking with SID and AD, would be an issue for Coller.

Put simply, no chance. It'd be the definition of a frivolous lawsuit.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 12:59 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 50
Sabres Hockey Hotline - Friday, September 4 - WGR550.com

Mike Grier - talked about training some NHL players the past few weeks including Jack Eichel and Evan Rodrigues and his work as an amateur scout for Chicago.
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...4-hh-grier.mp3

Brad May - came over the boards next to talk about Grier's style of play and his take on Deflategate.
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...904-hh-may.mp3

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
Sabres Hockey Hotline - Friday, September 4 - WGR550.com

Mike Grier - talked about training some NHL players the past few weeks including Jack Eichel and Evan Rodrigues and his work as an amateur scout for Chicago.
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...4-hh-grier.mp3

Brad May - came over the boards next to talk about Grier's style of play and his take on Deflategate.
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...904-hh-may.mp3
Nice to hear from Mike Grier. I miss him in blue and gold. I would want him to be around the team in one way or another.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2015, 04:29 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - Thursday, September 17 - WGR 550 AM.

Hall of Fame goaltender Dominik Hasek called in at 10:30 am ET.
Among the many revelations during our conversation, Hasek mentioned that he was always nervous at the start of each training camp.
He also mentioned that he prefers the Olympics over the World Cup.

Dominik Hasek Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...7-hh-hasek.mp3

Last edited by LaxSabre: 09-30-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old
09-24-2015, 04:33 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - Thursday, September 24 - WGR 550 AM.

The second half of the show featured Brad May's early look at the contenders this season.

Brad May Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...924-hh-may.mp3

Amerks forward Matt Ellis was the final guest and he had some great perspective on the new talent in camp this year.

Matt Ellis Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...4-hh-ellis.mp3

Sabres Hockey Hotline - Tuesday, September 22 - WGR 550 AM.

Jamie McGinn Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...-hh-mcginn.mp3

Last edited by LaxSabre: 09-30-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old
09-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Glad to hear Hamilton is back on his 'Girgensons shalt not play wing' crusade. That and not a single mention of Larsson when discussing the lines, so I'm sure he'll be back on that pill soon too. Oh hockey season

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2015, 10:11 AM
LaxSabre

@SabresHotline - Tuesday, September 29 -

Coming up on #SabresHotline - We get started with Rick Jeanneret at 10:05. Brian Duff at 10:30. A Sabres player will join us later.

@kevsylvester - It will be Tyler Ennis.

Old
09-30-2015, 09:19 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - Tuesday, September 29 - WGR 550.

We started by talking with Rick Jeanneret about his announcement that he will continue to call Sabres games beyond this season.
RJ also expressed his optimism for this year's squad.

Rick Jeanneret Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...0929-hh-rj.mp3

The second hour featured a discussion about and with Sabres forward Tyler Ennis.

Tyler Ennis Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...9-hh-ennis.mp3

Old
10-02-2015, 07:16 PM
VaporTrail

Who's doing the game right now on wgr ??? Guy is so boring to listen to....Id take a 100 year old Rj over him any day.....brutal....Rj Is the best.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
So yeah. Mike "i don't know crap about hockey" Harrington is going to be on Marek vs. Wyshinski podcast.

Cirris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 01:07 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
So yeah. Mike "i don't know crap about hockey" Harrington is going to be on Marek vs. Wyshinski podcast.

Maybe he's going to spend more time crying about how morally shameful tanking is, and how if we did things the right way we could be watching Dylan Strome or Noah Hanifin in their 9-game tryout.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait

Quote:

Wyshinski's an emasculated joke who's far from knowledgeable about hockey. Let Harrington talk to him.

Dingo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Marek vs. Wyshynski - October 13th

Cirris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
Wyshinski's an emasculated joke who's far from knowledgeable about hockey. Let Harrington talk to him.
Yep. Pretty sad that they're basically the only Hockey podcast out there.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 07:27 PM
keithpops

Quote:
I could sit and pinpoint all day about things Harrington said that were pretty cringe-worthy but, you know the deal. All the hits.

But that's probably not constructive. Harrington is an important part of Sabres journalism history for preserving the hard-fought short legacy of the team. I understand that. Those people were important. But when you back up your dislike of playing duos by saying "Lindy Ruff tried it and it didn't work" like... siiiiiiigh. Come on. That wasn't all that long ago. I get it but this is so literally in every area in every department a completely different team.

keithpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 07:29 PM
26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 08:36 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Yep. Pretty sad that they're basically the only Hockey podcast out there.
I know a lot of people have a negative opinion of Wyshynski, but his podcast with Marek is amazing fun. I like his overall attitude toward the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpops View Post
I could sit and pinpoint all day about things Harrington said that were pretty cringe-worthy but, you know the deal. All the hits.

But that's probably not constructive. Harrington is an important part of Sabres journalism history for preserving the hard-fought short legacy of the team. I understand that. Those people were important. But when you back up your dislike of playing duos by saying "Lindy Ruff tried it and it didn't work" like... siiiiiiigh. Come on. That wasn't all that long ago. I get it but this is so literally in every area in every department a completely different team.
Yeah... he was definitely searching for something to complain about there.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2015, 08:42 PM
couture23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I know a lot of people have a negative opinion of Wyshynski, but his podcast with Marek is amazing fun. I like his overall attitude toward the sport.
100% agree. I don't necessarily like him solo, but with Marek it's bearable. They are good together.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2015, 08:37 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpops View Post

Harrington is what he is. A baseball guy who writes about hockey between the world series and training camp. He gets bored and tries to dig up controversies where there isn't any.

The whole "where's terry" thing a few years back.

Last year with the "Tanking is Immoral OMG ORGANIZATIONAL EMBARASSMENT"

And finally, the capstone piece was him driving himself to Toronto and embarrassing himself in front of the entire canadian national hockey media by asking Mike Babcock stupid, stupid questions during his presser. You'll note that, immediately following that embarrassment, his leash got a ton shorter. He didn't ask Bylsma the obvious troll question ("How does it feel being the organizations 2nd choice to be head coach") and he's stuck to hockey questions instead of mining Murray/whoever's press conference he's at for quotes.

Add to it that he asks like Donald Trump on twitter (who are you? You're a nobody. I went to COLLEGE, where's YOUR journalism degree dummy), its what it is. He's a guy who doesn't have a passion for hockey and will never rise about his current professional job. Hoppe/Vogl both do much better jobs covering the team without interjecting their personal opinions into the coverage

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2015, 02:06 PM
26CornerBlitz

Old
10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
26CornerBlitz

Old
10-30-2015, 01:14 PM
26CornerBlitz

Old
11-18-2015, 04:19 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - Wednesday, November 18.

James Patrick - Former Buffalo Sabre Defenseman/Former Buffalo Sabre Assistant Head Coach/Current Dallas Stars Assistant Head Coach.

Patrick shared his thoughts on the offside challenges that have burned the Sabres three times already this season.
He also talked about the Sabres young defensive unit - specifically Rasmus Ristolainen.
We also got to hear a little of Dallas' pre-scout on Jack Eichel.

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...hh-patrick.mp3