HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WGR Talk/TBN/local sports talk

Old
11-19-2015, 11:36 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 517
Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Thursday, November 19 -

@BuffaloSabres - Add "The Great One" to those impressed by Jack Eichel.

Wayne Gretzky on @SabresHotline - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...hh-gretzky.mp3

@WGR550 - Gretzky on Eichel vs McDavid - "This is the closest thing we've had to Larry Bird and Magic Johnson".
@WGR550 - "For Eichel...I give him a lot of credit...he had tremendous amount of pressure on him and he had the confidence to step in and be himself".

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-20-2015 at 04:24 PM.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Friday, November 20.

Cody McCormick then came in the studio and started talking about his love of emojis. We then we got into it about the team – what he's liked and what’s he’s seen that's made this team so much more fun to watch.

Cody stuck around well into the second hour and had some awesome insight on certain players, what it’s like to be traded, what's to come with the group and the chemistry that’s being built inside the locker room.

http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...-mccormick.mp3

Old
12-22-2015, 08:32 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Tuesday, December 22.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost....pid=sm-tw-news

We discussed goaltending with Sabres goalie coach Andrew Allen. He provided great insight on the team's three netminders.

Andrew Allen Interview - Sabres Goalie Coach - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...2-hh-allen.mp3

Old
12-23-2015, 03:55 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Wednesday, December 23.

Sabres legend Danny Gare joined us in studio for the full two hours of the show. We also had Rob Ray on the show.
Both Gare and Ray gave their assessments of the Sabres and what this long break might mean for them.

Rob Ray Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...223-hh-ray.mp3

Steve Mears joined us from NHL network to talk about the IIHF World Junior Championship, which starts Saturday in Finland.

Steve Mears Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...3-hh-mears.mp3

Last edited by LaxSabre: 12-25-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old
12-25-2015, 01:39 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Thursday, December 24.

Kris Baker (@SabresProspects) set the stage for the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship which begins Saturday.

Kris Baker Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...4-hh-baker.mp3

Old
01-08-2016, 02:10 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Friday, January 8.

We had the pleasure of being joined by former Sabres Captain Steve Ott as he is on long-term IR with a hamstring injury with the St. Louis Blues.
His description of his injury will make you feel it.

Steve Ott Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...108-hh-ott.mp3

We also chatted with former Sabres and Amerks netminder Daren Puppa about his days in Rochester, as the franchise celebrates 60 years tonight.

Darren Puppa Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...8-hh-puppa.mp3

Old
01-12-2016, 04:21 PM
sabrebuild

vCash: 500
Listening to wgr this morning for the first time in months paid off. Got to hear Bylsma discuss Corsi and how eichel has played... his remarks were not what i would call sterling and not just in a coach speak kind of way.

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Gabrielor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
Listening to wgr this morning for the first time in months paid off. Got to hear Bylsma discuss Corsi and how eichel has played... his remarks were not what i would call sterling and not just in a coach speak kind of way.
got a link?

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2016, 06:51 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielor View Post
got a link?
Way to lazy to do that.

Wgr550.com look around it will be there.

Old
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Dex
Complementary

Quote:
To me, he sounded as if he was caught off guard by the question and was scrambling to come up with something that sounded reasonable. He basically something to the effect that he trusts Eichel in so many defensive situations and that is negatively effecting the Corsi.

Afterwards, Coller had some further analysis that showed that most of Eichels starts are offensive zone and that he's one of the worst in shots against. There was a lot of discussion about how tough it is to learn center in the NHL and that Eichel has a ways to go.... and that he needs to shoot more

Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2016, 07:18 PM
LaxSabre

Sabres Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - Tuesday, January 12.

Defenseman Zach Bogosian joined us from Minnesota to talk about his return to Winnipeg and tonight's matchup against the Wild.

Zach Bogosian Interview - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16...h-bogosian.mp3

Last edited by LaxSabre: 01-12-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old
01-12-2016, 08:34 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murrays Optician View Post
To me, he sounded as if he was caught off guard by the question and was scrambling to come up with something that sounded reasonable. He basically something to the effect that he trusts Eichel in so many defensive situations and that is negatively effecting the Corsi.

Afterwards, Coller had some further analysis that showed that most of Eichels starts are offensive zone and that he's one of the worst in shots against. There was a lot of discussion about how tough it is to learn center in the NHL and that Eichel has a ways to go.... and that he needs to shoot more
Did you think I hadn't heard the interview?

Old
01-12-2016, 09:04 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 538
Quote:
Which once again proves how much of an lemming you guys are to listen to Coller.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Dex
Complementary

Quote:
Did you think I hadn't heard the interview?
Actually, that was intended for the guy who responded to you. My apologies.

Last edited by Dex: 01-12-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old
01-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Yeah, well his corsi was fine with o-zone starts tonight:

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Dex
Complementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Which once again proves how much of an lemming you guys are to listen to Coller.
Lemmings? Okay pal.

People tune in to the radio for information and/or to be entertained. Listening to what is being stated on the radio by some guys who are radio talk show personalities is just that. It is no different than listening or participating in a discussion among friends or at a bar or at work. There will be people you agree with and people you don't.

Just this in...... listening and reporting what was said is not the same as believing what was said. You listen, you agree or disagree. No harm in that as far as I am concerned.

Many here put wayyyy too much thought into what the various hosts on the radio say and discuss. I guess I can count you among them. Some even become obsessed by it and jump in to denigrate the personality when the opportunity presents. I think I can be a guy who likes to listen to sports talk and form my own opinions. I'd like to think that in a free country, I can do that and talk about what was said with out being labeled a lemming. Gives me pause to think of how I would label someone who thought otherwise.

Last edited by Dex: 01-12-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Dex
Complementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Yeah, well his corsi was fine with o-zone starts tonight:
So - to belabor the point that was made on Hockey Hotline - Bylsma stated that Jack's Corsi was second or 3rd lowest on the team because of all the time he spends in the d-zone. Sounds like he's making up stuff as he says that, BTW
- After Bylsma is off the air, Coller jumps in and says that is not true - that most of Eichel's starts are O-zone.
- Discussion ensues and the conclusion that is reached is that Eichel may be holding on to the puck too long and needs to shoot more
- At the same time, the discussion concludes with Eichel is a 19 YO rookie who is learning how to play center in the NHL and that will come with experience.
- Eichel has game in which he has the most offensive zone starts
- Eichel shoots more and leads the team in Corsi
- HF poster calls all who listen to Coller lemmings.

Is that about right?

Old
01-13-2016, 07:31 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 538
Quote:
Lemmings? Okay pal.

People tune in to the radio for information and/or to be entertained. Listening to what is being stated on the radio by some guys who are radio talk show personalities is just that. It is no different than listening or participating in a discussion among friends or at a bar or at work. There will be people you agree with and people you don't.

Just this in...... listening and reporting what was said is not the same as believing what was said. You listen, you agree or disagree. No harm in that as far as I am concerned.

Many here put wayyyy too much thought into what the various hosts on the radio say and discuss. I guess I can count you among them. Some even become obsessed by it and jump in to denigrate the personality when the opportunity presents. I think I can be a guy who likes to listen to sports talk and form my own opinions. I'd like to think that in a free country, I can do that and talk about what was said with out being labeled a lemming. Gives me pause to think of how I would label someone who thought otherwise.
Fair enough. That was a cheap shot, and I apologize. It came more from my annoyance at those who believe everything Coller says than you personally.

Coller makes the same mistakes today that many folks made in the early days of baseball analytics. The golden rule of statistical analysis is context. You have to think about the metric, how it's derived, what it means. Then consider how it fits with your hypothesis. That sure as heck isn't being done on the fly on the air like he does.

Did he look at the generally positive correlation between players with a high SA60 and teams with a high shots against total? (Which makes sense, but still.) Did he consider the weakness of the stat to make his point, and look for alternative ones to back it up? Nope. Simple cases here, but consider this.

- Eichel is on the ice with a d-man who likes to pinch, and often gets caught.
- Eichel is paired with a winger with a hard shot, but who often misses the net, ringing the puck hard out of the offensive zone.

Both of these situations can easily result in an inflated SA60 number, yet neither of these situations really reflect on Eichel's actions, or defensive abilities. What if he backchecked and tied up his man 10/10 times to prevent a goal, but resulting in 10 shots against? You need to look at other numbers to get more perspective.

It's the big challenge about trying to apply baseball style analytics to team sports. It's hard to find a number that accurately reflects what ONE player did when there are 4 others on the ice. Hockey is also not segmented by individual plays either, it's a flowing and changing game.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2016, 08:07 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Collar is full of crap. Jack has a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than most of his teammates, yes. But the difference is very minimal. Other teams that have players in more defined roles have much greater differences than the Sabres have. Jack gets to play in many situations, just like everyone else on this team. There has been some strategize deployment, so it's not Ted Nolan rolling lines, but it isn't a huge thing yet here either. They are obviously prioritizing getting the kids looks in every situation over deploying in specialized roles. You don't need analytics to tell you this, it's obvious if you just watch. This is when stat people are annoying.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2016, 08:49 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Actually, that was intended for the guy who responded to you. My apologies.
Gotcha

Old
01-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Collar is full of crap. Jack has a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than most of his teammates, yes. But the difference is very minimal. Other teams that have players in more defined roles have much greater differences than the Sabres have. Jack gets to play in many situations, just like everyone else on this team. There has been some strategize deployment, so it's not Ted Nolan rolling lines, but it isn't a huge thing yet here either. They are obviously prioritizing getting the kids looks in every situation over deploying in specialized roles. You don't need analytics to tell you this, it's obvious if you just watch. This is when stat people are annoying.
I think you are kind of full of crap on this one... look at our center deployment.

Ozone starts:
Eichel: 53.6
Oreilly: 46.3
Larsson: 41.2
Legwand: 42.6

If you are watching, it's very obvious that deployments have been strategic much more than they have been to get the kids into important and different situations. The later IS happening, but not in an overriding way.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2016, 09:04 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think you are kind of full of crap on this one... look at our center deployment.

Ozone starts:
Eichel: 53.6
Oreilly: 46.3
Larsson: 41.2
Legwand: 42.6
Like I said, minimal. Go look at other teams with more defined roles. The differences are usually much greater.

Old
01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
jc17

vCash: 90
Quote:
So in one sentence he's full of crap, but in another sentences he's right but you just don't like him because you don't need stats to see what he's saying?

Also, the difference isn't minimal. Eichel is one of two players that has more o-zone starts than d-zone starts, the other is Kane.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2016, 09:17 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
So in one sentence he's full of crap, but in another sentences he's right but you just don't like him because you don't need stats to see what he's saying?

Also, the difference isn't minimal. Eichel is one of two players that has more o-zone starts than d-zone starts, the other is Kane.
When did I say he's right at all? Go look at Chicago's deployment then come back here and tell us about how strictly Bylsma teats these deployments.

Old
01-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Like I said, minimal. Go look at other teams with more defined roles. The differences are usually much greater.
Yea, go look at cup contenders that force more offensive zone starts to make your point

Like i said, Bylsma is finding opportunities for Eichel, Reinhart, etc to get situational experience. A single start or 2 per game can drive those numbers down....

Your thesis is straight wrong though. Bylsma IS using zone start, strategic deployments for his lines. Your position, is only the caveat.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote