HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comments on Isles-Sabres..DiPietro's first career shutout/Stirling's first NHL win

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 01:36 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Comments on Isles-Sabres..DiPietro's first career shutout/Stirling's first NHL win

Sorry about the game thread folks. Did the pregame thread earlier in the day but did not stick it at the top of the page.

Can only do some notables from what I saw on highlights and read.

Missed the game last night, will watch or tape the 11am replay on Metro.

Very impressive win. Buffalo is always very tough on the Isles, every game seems to have some fights and the Sabres are a good young skating team with skill that pushed the Isles to the limit in every game last year.

Among the highlights:
Steve Stirling's first win as Islanders head coach.
Thirteen shots allowed against a team in their home opener that almost set an Islander record for least shots against.
Another goal from Czerkawski...He had five last year?
I saw Scatchard's punch....WOW. Looked like Cairns against Corson the way he went down.
Cairns, Godard were involved.
Parrish two goals...Peca, Blake producing.
Kvasha, Yashin both producing.
The move to the net by Asham for his goal was fantastic, he just busted thru the defense and went at the net with speed and finished.

Curious to see the team defense in this one because from what I read the Sabres got very little. Also want to see if DiPietro got himself in trouble with his stickhandling.

Great bounceback effort. This is the kind of win I expect from a team that got spanked in Washington and not a win where the goaltending stole the game and where they were outplayed. They won and dominated playing their system and that's what they have to do to be successful.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Islanders4Cups

Great game! I did not see much of the first game and it's early in the season, so I can't read too much into one game against what appears to be a dreadful Sabres team but here's what I saw:

I though Jason Blake played terrific. He was all over the ice raising havoc on the opponents defense and creating scoring chances.

Parrish looked great and is hot early as usual. Before I go on praising him and predicting a monster season though, I would like to see some consistency.

The Islanders defense and Dipietro worked great together combatting the dump and chase. This may be a key to this season because a lot of teams play the dump and chase. While the Sabres were awful, credit has to be given to Jonsson, Niinima and Aucoin on playing superbly getting the puck out of the zone and feeding their wingers.

So far so good with Yash, Chow and Kvash. While I think Yashin will benefit playing with Chow, what I want to see is Kvasha and Chow start to click. Last night they clicked. I also want to see Asham play well on another line and he did last night.

Goddard earned his pay lat night and kudos to Scatchard for a KO sticking up for Blake.

Congrats to Stirling on his first NHL win. It was a great night last night! Next up, a 2-0 Atlanta Thrasher team...

Old
10-12-2003, 03:31 AM
Isle Be Back

Godard Fight

From the New York Post:
It was a dominating effort from start to finish that saw the balance of power begin to shift when Eric Godard fought Andrew Peters in a 50-punch brawl just two minutes into it.

"I just love to watch him fight," DiPietro said. "I just sit there in amazement."

Three minutes later, Parrish opened the scoring and the Isles never looked back.

--------------------------------------------------

Can anyone give a few more details about the Godard fight? Was it a clear win? In two years I've never seen him lose a fight in BPT. Rarely are any close enough to be called a draw. But I'm sure he'll find some tougher foes as he makes his way aorund the NHL circuit.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back
Can anyone give a few more details about the Godard fight? Was it a clear win? In two years I've never seen him lose a fight in BPT. Rarely are any close enough to be called a draw. But I'm sure he'll find some tougher foes as he makes his way aorund the NHL circuit.
I wouldn't say a clear win but definitely a great fight with both players taking and giving punches.Gods fights are all this way!...he has a leather face.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Jiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back
From the New York Post:
It was a dominating effort from start to finish that saw the balance of power begin to shift when Eric Godard fought Andrew Peters in a 50-punch brawl just two minutes into it.

"I just love to watch him fight," DiPietro said. "I just sit there in amazement."

Three minutes later, Parrish opened the scoring and the Isles never looked back.

--------------------------------------------------

I'd give the edge to Godard on that one. Peters held his own and is one big hombre. Later in the game he decisioned Cairns which is no small feat.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs
I'd give the edge to Godard on that one. Peters held his own and is one big hombre. Later in the game he decisioned Cairns which is no small feat.
Yeah. Godard gets a decision in the first in a good back and forth fight with some non-stop action. Neither guy was close to being knocked silly though they were both throwing and landing some bombs. BTW, how big is Godard officially? He's listed at 6'4" on ESPN, but I swear that he's 6'6". He looked bigger than Peters who is 6'4" and pushing 250.

In that second fight Peters drilled Cairns. I've always liked Cairns and considered him one of the top fighters in the league, but he got sent reeling about 5 feet. That bodes well for Sabres fans in terms of finally having a legitimate enforcer.

And kudos to Scatchard. I really love that guy. He's the kind of player I wish we had on our team. You're lucky to have a character guy like that.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Cairns usually is light on his opponents. I think he was caught by suprise with the punches of Peters. The next time they fight expect Cairns to look to take care of business. Peters is good tho. Cairns just has a bad habit of not punishing ppl enuff.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Jiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
Cairns usually is light on his opponents. I think he was caught by suprise with the punches of Peters. The next time they fight expect Cairns to look to take care of business. Peters is good tho. Cairns just has a bad habit of not punishing ppl enuff.
More and more it seems Cairns wants to concentrate on staying on the ice and contributing more than beating the crap out of someone. He did get caught off guard by Peters though .

Old
10-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

WHy didnt tallinder play for buffalo btw. He was a thorn all last season against us, yes?

Closed Thread