HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

need help buying some skates!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2005, 06:05 PM
in the hall

vCash: 500
need help buying some skates!!

hey all,

it's been a couple years since i've played, i'm looking to get back into it and my old skates shrunk or something.. shame too they were broken in and everything

i'm looking for two things, either specific suggestions or brand suggestions

back in the day, ccm was best for comfort, bauer was best for quality and overall, nike was just the coolest.. graf was just way up there in class

now i see a lot more from mission, easton, reebok is new, just really lost in all this and it's difficult since i haven't played so i can't really go with what was good for me before

anyway i'm not looking to break the bank here but not looking to get the biggest bargain, i want quality

thanks in advance

Old
12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
The_Tactitioner

I too am looking for skates, however I need to get goalie skates

my plan is to buy them, and then train as much as possible on the ice

to imrove my skating

Old
12-03-2005, 06:23 PM
in the hall

here are the skates i'm currently looking at

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-flexlite10hssr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eastonairsbxis.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hssynergy1100sr.html ($280 - doubtful tho)

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauervap20thg.html

Old
12-03-2005, 10:08 PM
in the hall

price range is up to 300 bucks, please help, need to decide by this weekend!!

Old
12-03-2005, 10:28 PM
EazyB97

Get out and try them on. Each skate fits differently and its very difficult to say which will work best for you. I think most coampanies make solid skates, but a poor fitting skate will break down quicker. I know Bauer's had alot of issues with the Vapor series. Try and look for close-out models you can get for cheap. Go to your local hockey store and try the skates on first though.

Old
12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
Get out and try them on. Each skate fits differently and its very difficult to say which will work best for you. I think most coampanies make solid skates, but a poor fitting skate will break down quicker. I know Bauer's had alot of issues with the Vapor series. Try and look for close-out models you can get for cheap. Go to your local hockey store and try the skates on first though.
thanks for the help.. I am leaning toward the high quality Easton I posted above but may go for the close out 04 model

I live in NYC, there are only 3 skate shops in the area and all three have maybe 5-10 cheap model blades

the only place that carries good skates is Gery Cosby's at MSG but they only carry CCM and Bauer and about 2-3 ones in the quality I am looking for

anything I buy is going to be ordered for this reason

Old
12-04-2005, 11:50 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I bought the $500 Synergy's when they first came out and they are awesome. No break in time, no blisters, felt like a better skater over my $150 Missions. So if they fit good I would pay the extra money and go for the Synergy's you pictured. I do not think you will be dissapointed and they offer a little more new technology than the other skates.

Old
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
in the hall

thank you guys, i went with the Synergy's.. I remember wanting them a long time ago but they were so expensive and I wasn't playing at that time.. looking forward to seeing them, hopefully the sizing won't be an issue

Old
12-07-2005, 11:39 PM
MiZZZike*

Send a message via AIM to MiZZZike* Send a message via MSN to MiZZZike*
Vapor 30's (XXX) are about the best skate out there. Grafs are top of the line as well. Personally I love my Vapor 15's. I was a CCM kid all my life and I just switched to bauer and am probably never going back.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
jacketracket*

Some good responses ... let me ask for some advice.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of skates. I've been inline skating off and on for a couple of years, to help make the transition to ice.

I've finally decided that I'm simply going to get a pair of skates and hit a pond, taking my lumps as I go. I'm looking for something durable, but not necessarily top of the line.

Any help? Any tips for learning to skate on ice?

Old
12-08-2005, 08:42 PM
MiZZZike*

Send a message via AIM to MiZZZike* Send a message via MSN to MiZZZike*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Some good responses ... let me ask for some advice.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of skates. I've been inline skating off and on for a couple of years, to help make the transition to ice.

I've finally decided that I'm simply going to get a pair of skates and hit a pond, taking my lumps as I go. I'm looking for something durable, but not necessarily top of the line.

Any help? Any tips for learning to skate on ice?
CCM is usually pretty toughly (word? lol) built. Advice on skating is just to skate and skate, it's the only way to get better.

Old
12-09-2005, 06:25 PM
anteeksi

Send a message via Yahoo to anteeksi
got narrow feet look at bauers..im wearing impacts[nice gel pads] my feet swam in ccms but they are a tough skate good for banging around in.

Closed Thread