HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St.Louis @ Colorado

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Jori

vCash: 500
Svatos must be hurt, only shows 2:43 of ice time.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
I can only hope somebody slashes that P.O.S cry baby Chris Pronger right in the wrist and ends his career. That was intent to injure pure and simple.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:45 PM
DarioinDenver

Good game by Ozgood

By game by the refs on both sides.

Skratins was the best defender tonight.

Foote had a horrible game.

Avs look like a very different team playing from behind.

Granato shifted his first two lines into the ground.

Not much else to say except the acts of Pronger and Forsberg were an embarrasment to hockey tonight.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
what did forsberg do?

Old
10-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Jori

So little ice time for Svatos and McCormick, but I too liked Skrastins game tonight.

Forsberg needs to get his head screwed on straight

On to Minnesota

Old
10-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Good game by Ozgood

By game by the refs on both sides.

Skratins was the best defender tonight.

Foote had a horrible game.

Avs look like a very different team playing from behind.

Granato shifted his first two lines into the ground.

Not much else to say except the acts of Pronger and Forsberg were an embarrasment to hockey tonight.
Osgood had a great game really. He has little to no control over his rebounds though and I fear that will begin to hurt the Blues. His reflexes and reading the play were definitely on tonight.

That's the worst Foote game I've seen in a long time. Helps that it was the first game I've seen him get caught in the offensive zone, which led to the GW goal.

Don't forget Tanguay either; he singlehandedly dove on two straight shifts and got the Avs a 5-on-3 PP in the 2nd period. He also had a glorious opportunity to shoot in the last 30 seconds and forced a pass to Selanne in the corner rather than shoot.

Pronger I'm not even going to try and defend. He's as stickhappy as they come as it is and I didn't like to see him do what he did. I'm glad Kariya got up.

The refs absolutely sucked the life out of the game. Most of the game was on the PP, hence why certain lines disappeared from the second period on.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:04 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
what did forsberg do?
The slash you first, fall like a ton of bricks when you retaliate routine. That and the mix it up and I'll grab McInnis' arm and act like I'm being held skit. He's a remarkable hockey player when he leaves that garbage alone and just skates. Frankly, it's beneath him.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Jori

I can understand the third and fourth lines getting little ice time with the game focused on special teams, but why no shifts at all for Svatos in the third period? Okay so perhaps I'm nitpicking a bit, but I'm just curious.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
The slash you first, fall like a ton of bricks when you retaliate routine. That and the mix it up and I'll grab McInnis' arm and act like I'm being held skit. He's a remarkable hockey player when he leaves that garbage alone and just skates. Frankly, it's beneath him.
Careful Dario; you're starting to sound like me. Am I the only one that saw Forsberg throw an elbow towards MacInnis to start that incident? I think it grazed MacInnis at worst, but I believe that's what MacInnis took exception to originally.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Careful Dario; you're starting to sound like me. Am I the only one that saw Forsberg throw an elbow towards MacInnis to start that incident? I think it grazed MacInnis at worst, but I believe that's what MacInnis took exception to originally.
I don't think MacInnis was taking an exception to anything, I think he was trying to push in front of Forsberg to get ahead of him on the rush back and forsberg grabbed his arm under his (ala, holding a stick routine) and then did the circus act.

I think Forsberg is a phenominal talent and I love to watch him play. But when he tries to draw penalties he hurts his own game because he gets distracted from what he does best and he becomes a distraction for the rest of the team.

Since I'm on my Forsberg rant, I'll just say as I've always said, I hate him on the powerplay. He wastes no less than 20 seconds of power play time holding the puck on the boards. If he was QBing behind the net I'd be a little better with it but he drains the PP. I said in 2001, that the only positive thing about having Forsberg go out with the spleen injury was that the power play would get better, and it did.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Jori

Quote:
Since I'm on my Forsberg rant, I'll just say as I've always said, I hate him on the powerplay. He wastes no less than 20 seconds of power play time holding the puck on the boards. If he was QBing behind the net I'd be a little better with it but he drains the PP. I said in 2001, that the only positive thing about having Forsberg go out with the spleen injury was that the power play would get better, and it did.
How I so agree with this

Definately one of the problems with the Avs tonight a reluctance to shoot and hold on to the puck too long. Forsberg is infamous for this and its one of the frustrating parts to his game. If its not this than he is participating in the chippy part of the game and allowing players to frustrate him and in turn hurt his line mates and the team in the process.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Aebischer didn't look terrible tonight, that's all I can add. The Blues have to be considered playoff caliber talent ... the two goals tonight he didn't have much chance on.

There's some good to spin into this all.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I thought it was a missed hit. MacInnis did grab and hold him, but Forsberg really overdid it there at the end.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
I can understand the third and fourth lines getting little ice time with the game focused on special teams, but why no shifts at all for Svatos in the third period? Okay so perhaps I'm nitpicking a bit, but I'm just curious.
I don't think Granato was interested in playing him. He was ramming the top two lines into the ground and he occasionally threw out the grit guys to try and energize the team. We're talking very rare occasions though. I do know that Nikolishin's pass is what led to the 3-on-1. I only recall seeing Hahl once or twice in the 3rd too. Hinote barely touched the ice and when he did, he got smoked by Danton. I don't think much of Granato anyway; so, I'm probably the last person that should try and give an answer to your question.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I agree with Darion. Foote was bad tonight. He is our defensive d-man and he was the reason the Blues had the 3 v 1 goal on Aebischer. Skrastins was by far the best D-man on the ice tonight for the Avs. He looked great, and even carried/shot the puck extremely well.

Forsberg's hesitancy to make the pass did cost us on the PP. That being said, I did not like how we had the pp set up at all. We let the Blues easily control us and block our lanes. Hejduk's side was non-existent on the 5-3.....it was just a passing frenzy

Old
10-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I don't think Granato was interested in playing him. He was ramming the top two lines into the ground and he occasionally threw out the grit guys to try and energize the team. We're talking very rare occasions though. I do know that Nikolishin's pass is what led to the 3-on-1. I only recall seeing Hahl once or twice in the 3rd too. Hinote barely touched the ice and when he did, he got smoked by Danton. I don't think much of Granato anyway; so, I'm probably the last person that should try and give an answer to your question.
I totally agree. Good lord, all I saw tonight was the Sakic line closely followed by the Forsberg line. Our team has decent bottom lines, and I was extremely dissapointed in the lack of cycling. Also, why was Bates scratched........makes no sense to me. I mean has he already gotten in the dog-house

Old
10-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I thought it was a missed hit. MacInnis did grab and hold him, but Forsberg really overdid it there at the end.
Perhaps I should expand on what I saw. I saw MacInnis dump/pass the puck out. Forsberg came in to finish his check, which was perfectly fine. Forsberg missed most of the hit, but because of the angle, he and MacInnis still came together. Then, I saw Forsberg's left elbow come up, MacInnis got upset and put a bigger grab on Forsberg, and then Forsberg did the "I just got shot" routine. I think Forsberg did upset MacInnis by an attempted elbow, which is why MacInnis grabbed Forsberg initially. Foolishly, I didn't tape the game like I should have though; so, I'm going off of the two replays FSRM showed.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Jori

Quote:
Perhaps I should expand on what I saw. I saw MacInnis dump/pass the puck out. Forsberg came in to finish his check, which was perfectly fine. Forsberg missed most of the hit, but because of the angle, he and MacInnis still came together. Then, I saw Forsberg's left elbow come up, MacInnis got upset and put a bigger grab on Forsberg, and then Forsberg did the "I just got shot" routine. I think Forsberg did upset MacInnis by an attempted elbow, which is why MacInnis grabbed Forsberg initially. Foolishly, I didn't tape the game like I should have though; so, I'm going off of the two replays FSRM showed.
I'm going to record the ESPN2 rebroadcast later tonight, I hope that play isn't cut out.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I totally agree. Good lord, all I saw tonight was the Sakic line closely followed by the Forsberg line. Our team has decent bottom lines, and I was extremely dissapointed in the lack of cycling. Also, why was Bates scratched........makes no sense to me. I mean has he already gotten in the dog-house
I was surprised as well. Anyone got the ice time figures for the Avs forwards? I bet it's ugly high. I understand Granato wanted to tie up the game and then win it, but he's going to ruin the top two lines by Christmas if he plays them that often every time they are behind. He's the coach and I'm not, but good luck with that, Granato.

I think Battaglia may have been scratched to give McCormick his first game. Just my hunch, considering the Avs announcers said that a lot of McCormick's people were in attendance.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Ok the power play is not better with Forsberg out, I don't care how much talent there is. Thats like saying the Avs were better without Forsberg when they won the cup. Yes he does waste a lot of time on the PP, and it bugs me too, but how many times have you seen him set up like and it leads to a goal. Thats his game, he waits until he sees the play. He sets up on the half boards, and he has four options. The reason why it takes so long sometimes is because the other four aren't moving and he has no one to pass to.

As for the game, I really liked the way Skrastins played, he was the best defensman out there tonight for the Avs, and may have been their best player on the ice. He was all over the place, and was jumping into the play a lot. I'm really starting to like this guy, he looks like he might show some offense the same way Devo did with the engouragement to jump into the play by the coaches.

What happened to Svatos, I too noticed he wasn't out there that much. Also some of you guys mentioned Granato played the top two lines a lot, but I noticed the Cummins line getting a lot of ice time, most notably with 4 minutes left to go in the game.

Plus what's with Hinote, he doesn't seem to be noticeable out there judging by these last two games, I wonder if he's hurt. Did he play a shift after he got hit by Danton, I don't remember seeing him after that? I'm also not so sure I agree with the benching of Battaglia. Sure he hasn't shown anything since he's been with the Avs, and was invisible in the first game, but it was only one game. I know everbody needs to be held accountable, but give him a chance to rebound the next game. Maybe it will be only for one game, just to give him a kick in the ass. I'm just hoping it won't keep him from gettng his game back. I almost never see a player regain his form when he is scratched and benched a lot. I think somebody here put it best(I can't remember who) when they said they had never seen a player from Chicago play so much like they were European. I can't agree more, he doesn't seem to be involved physically at all, which is what he needs to do, to be successfull. I'm also starting to think maybe Liles should get sent down, he hasn't made any glaring errors, but he seem like he is on the verge of making one. Hopefully he will get his legs under him and show us what we saw in camp.

Decent game by the Avs as far as scoring chances and overall Defense, but we suffered from what has been our downfall the last few seasons and will suffer from the most this year. That is, when an opposing goalie is having a strong game, we don't have anybody to put in front of the net and keep him from seeing the puck, except Forsberg every once in a while, but thats not really his game. This is why Battaglia could be an important part in the success of our team, especially come playof time, when the goals are harder to come by, and the goalies are on top of their game.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
I'm going to record the ESPN2 rebroadcast later tonight, I hope that play isn't cut out.
They're rebroadcasting tonight's game? Great news; I will also tape it to see if I was hallucinating or not.

Can anyone confirm that Tkachuk took a dive to draw that penalty on Foote? I had to step away from the TV and I missed the replays of it. During live action, you couldn't tell if Tkachuk flopped or not.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Jori

Hmmm...I didn't have a problem with Liles today. I felt he played a smart and sound game.

As for ice times for forwards...seek and ye shall find:

Selanne 19:28
Kariya 22:41
Tanguay 16:16
Hejduk 22:30
Forsberg 23:58
Sakic 24:05

And the rest...

Nikolishin 8:05
Hinote 11:00
Cummins 8:04
McCormick 4:17
Svatos 2:43
Hahl 11:01

Old
10-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Jori

Quote:
They're rebroadcasting tonight's game? Great news; I will also tape it to see if I was hallucinating or not.

Can anyone confirm that Tkachuk took a dive to draw that penalty on Foote? I had to step away from the TV and I missed the replays of it. During live action, you couldn't tell if Tkachuk flopped or not.
It's coming on 12:30 am MST.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Hmmm...I didn't have a problem with Liles today. I felt he played a smart and sound game.
The only thing I've noticed about Liles in the negative is that he has a lot of problems dealing with NHL forwards along the boards. Radulov shrugged him off no problem in the 1st game for sure and I know Mayers tossed him aside as well in this game. But, he had that one shift in the 3rd where he kept holding the puck in on the left point too. Unlike Skoula, Liles takes smarter risks offensively and is surely better than Skoula defensively. I think Liles needs to get stronger more than anything.

Quote:
As for ice times for forwards...seek and ye shall find:

Selanne 19:28
Kariya 22:41
Tanguay 16:16
Hejduk 22:30
Forsberg 23:58
Sakic 24:05

And the rest...

Nikolishin 8:05
Hinote 11:00
Cummins 8:04
McCormick 4:17
Svatos 2:43
Hahl 11:01
One word: Ugh. And some of us thought Hartley was a bit strange when it came to rolling out his top forwards eh?

Old
10-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

looked like a majore dive. The penalty that led to the 5-3 for the Blues that was called on Blake was also a big dive. The guy did a 360 and Blake barely touched him....ha! Lots of dives tonight from both teams

Closed Thread