HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I love Mike Comrie and I hope he is back in Oiler

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2003, 04:56 AM
  #1
Derek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I love Mike Comrie and I hope he is back in Oiler

colors soon. He's skilled, exciting to watch and can help win hockey games. Yes he disappeared at the end of last season and in the playoffs, but that has happed to good players in the past and they learn from it and came back even stronger. I don't know if he and Klo can pach things up and make a deal or not, but I for one hope they can.

Derek is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:14 AM
  #2
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I don't think it'll happen. Not to be negative, but when the media is talking about the difference between "pressure" and "scrutiny" we're getting to the point of no return.

Comrie is a very skilled player, and in a way it's heartbreaking to watch this happen. I've been an Oiler fan since 1972, and faithfully cheered for them since then. From Al Hamilton and Jim Harrison to Brett Callighen and Blair McDonald to the Cup teams and to today, I've enjoyed Oiler hockey and never considered cheering for another team.

Fans want to cheer for players who represent their team. Mike Comrie (apparently) doesn't want to represent this team. There's not one damn thing I can do about that. I'm not mad at him, I'm not going to boo him if he does come back. Oiler fans waited a long time for a guy like him, and not one of us could see this happening.

I don't buy that it's too tough to play here, but I also don't buy that Mike Comrie is a bad guy. This is about a young man growing up, and making a bad decision, and getting bad advice.

If there's one thing I would say to him it's that sometimes life's problem's have less to do with location and more to do with what you do there. I learned that in my life, and he'll learn it in his life.

After all, Edmonton doesn't have a monoploy on "scrutiny".

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:30 AM
  #3
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
for the love of god dont make excuses for this kid.... hes acting like a baby and people are making excuses for him... i almost puked when hrudey was talking last night... "i wouldnt want to have played in edmonton" .... WTF is that?!?!

comrie is a little whiney kid who couldnt take the heat (once he wasnt getting paid VERY well to take the heat) and i say good ridance..... oh, and if i was a fan i would boo and also never go to the brick (not like i would have ever gone there anyhow)

*edited because i apparently have a problem with pronouns

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:52 AM
  #4
Yorkiegirl161861
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
I agree with Lowetide. Comrie is getting poor advice from someone, whether it be an agent, relative-anyone. His choices seem to have more to do with his maturity level. There's an old saying "don't burn your bridges". Comrie is doing just that. I hope for his sake that it doesn't come back to bite him.

Yorkiegirl161861 is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:56 AM
  #5
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
for the love of god dont make excuses for this kid.... hes acting like a baby and people are making excuses for him... i almost puked when hrudey was talking last night... "i wouldnt want to have played in edmonton" .... WTF is that?!?!

comrie is a little whiney kid who couldnt take the heat (once he wasnt getting paid VERY well to take the heat) and i say good ridance..... oh, and if i was a fan i would boo and also never go to the brick (not like i would have ever gone there anyhow)

*edited because i apparently have a problem with pronouns
And then we wonder why nobody wants to play in Edmonton. It's because of the negative attitude of the fans. They even get criticized after a win and even moreso after a lose. The players, the coaching staff, the management, the organization has been criticized to no end ever since Lowe became GM, despite making the playoffs in 2 of the 3 years.

Lowe can't do anything right and gets criticized for every trade, even if it appears the Oilers won the trade. When the team makes the playoffs, they get criticized. Fans were in love with Slats and he was a genious according to fans when they made the playoffs.

Why this love in with Slats I'll never understand. The booing of players out of town is classless if you ask me. If a player is booed, they will play worse and won't care how he plays. The players feed off the crowd and play better if the fans are behind them. How is booing Comrie going to help him? If anything, the booing might even make Comrie worth less.

The reason fans want every player traded, is that they want Lowe to be fleeced so they have a reason to criticize Lowe like they've already done. After the Carter and Niinimaa trade, Lowe recieved death threats. After Lowe traded Hamrlik for his first trade as GM, fans wanted him fired and said he was the worst GM of all time. Calling Lowe the worst GM of all time after barely a month as GM of the team is stupid IMO. Some fans have said that Lowe has gotten fleeced in every single trade. The hate for Lowe as GM is obvious as he can't do anything right.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:56 AM
  #6
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
for the love of god dont make excuses for this kid.... hes acting like a baby and people are making excuses for him... i almost puked when hrudey was talking last night... "i wouldnt want to have played in edmonton" .... WTF is that?!?!

comrie is a little whiney kid who couldnt take the heat (once he wasnt getting paid VERY well to take the heat) and i say good ridance..... oh, and if i was a fan i would boo and also never go to the brick (not like i would have ever gone there anyhow)

*edited because i apparently have a problem with pronouns

I'm not making excuses for him at all. He HAS maturity issues, I've said that 1000 times. But "whiney little kid who can't take the heat?" I think the fact he's in this situation tells us he can take the heat.

It's disappointing that Comrie doesn't want to play in Edmonton. The reasons we're given are somewhat vague and don't seem enough to warrant this reaction.

We can call it an overreaction. We can say Comrie has maturity issues. He's too big for his britches. But "whiney little kid?"

I wouldn't go that far.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:49 AM
  #7
gretzky2kurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
And then we wonder why nobody wants to play in Edmonton. It's because of the negative attitude of the fans. They even get criticized after a win and even moreso after a lose. The players, the coaching staff, the management, the organization has been criticized to no end ever since Lowe became GM, despite making the playoffs in 2 of the 3 years.

Lowe can't do anything right and gets criticized for every trade, even if it appears the Oilers won the trade. When the team makes the playoffs, they get criticized. Fans were in love with Slats and he was a genious according to fans when they made the playoffs.

Why this love in with Slats I'll never understand. The booing of players out of town is classless if you ask me. If a player is booed, they will play worse and won't care how he plays. The players feed off the crowd and play better if the fans are behind them. How is booing Comrie going to help him? If anything, the booing might even make Comrie worth less.

The reason fans want every player traded, is that they want Lowe to be fleeced so they have a reason to criticize Lowe like they've already done. After the Carter and Niinimaa trade, Lowe recieved death threats. After Lowe traded Hamrlik for his first trade as GM, fans wanted him fired and said he was the worst GM of all time. Calling Lowe the worst GM of all time after barely a month as GM of the team is stupid IMO. Some fans have said that Lowe has gotten fleeced in every single trade. The hate for Lowe as GM is obvious as he can't do anything right.
So what you are saying is that Edmonton is the only city in a 30 team league where fans get critical of the GM? Nobody was ever critical of Sather here? You seem to remember things differently than me. You seem to see things differently than me also. I see alot of people here that like Kevin Lowe. I feel a huge majority hope he can make this team competitive. And yes some hate him too.

When someone questions a trade (like me with Niinimaa) it doesn't mean I want Lowe fired. I question some moves, but right now I can't think of anyone else that I would rather have in there.

So someone said he was a brutal GM his first month here way back when. And you're still talking about that? You boast that the Oilers have made the playoffs 2 of the 3 seasons that Lowe has been GM. Sorry but my expectations are higher than a couple playoff appearances every few years. If we were in the conference final 2 of the past 3 years I would be the first person here to call fans "too critical" considering the line-up we have.


I truly beleive you like the Oilers..........but hate most of their fans. You comment weekly on the negativity of Oiler fans. Go spend a week on the Ranger board, go listen to a Leaf call in show for a half hour. Open your eyes and realise that Oiler fans are not the only fans in all of sport that behave this way.


We're not bad people because we have been critical of Lowe and don't treat him like he's our Raelian leader who can do no wrong. We're just sports fans.

You seem to only read the negative comments while the positive ones just blend into the background.........and that's fine. Just stop reminding us how horrible of sports fans we are every 3rd post.

gretzky2kurri is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:04 AM
  #8
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
to take this further... im NOT critical of lowe, i think lowe has done a very good job in a very hard economical position, im NOT critical of macT very often at all.... i AM critical about comrie though, because he deserves to be criticized, and if you cant see this your blind

i also agree that the oiler fans are critical, but heres a newsflash for ya.... EVERY SPORTS FAN IN THE WORLD IS CRITICAL OF THEIR TEAM... its called passion, its about caring about your team and wanting them to succeed.... blaming the fans for the lack of oilers success and the fact that some players might not want to play here, when its obvious to anybody in the world that the reason for the lack of success is economical

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:08 AM
  #9
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
i dont want to make this a "big thing" or anything.... but i just cant believe that anybody could possibly blame the fans for anything.... its uncomprehendable to me..... the people that pay their hard earned money to support the oilers are to BLAME? its just ridiculous beyond all measure

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:42 AM
  #10
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
You probably can't remember when Slats resigned. Terry Jones blamed the owners for Slats resigning. Every trade that Lowe has made has been criticized by the media and and some fans alike. When Hamrlik was traded, some fans, in the minority I might add wanted Lowe fired. Some fans have said that Lowe has gotten fleeced in every trade. When Carter and Niinimaa were traded, Lowe received death threats. I don't recall Slats ever receiving death threats. Slats was a genious to get the team into the playoffs while Lowe gets criticized for doing the same thing. After every trade, there are some fans that want Lowe fired. There is a real hate for Lowe and I can't point my finger at what it is though. One of things I think is that there are fans that were in love with Slats and no matter who would have become GM of the Oilers, that person would have been criticized. It's as simple as that.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:47 AM
  #11
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
You probably can't remember when Slats resigned. Terry Jones blamed the owners for Slats resigning. Every trade that Lowe has made has been criticized by the media and and some fans alike. When Hamrlik was traded, some fans, in the minority I might add wanted Lowe fired. Some fans have said that Lowe has gotten fleeced in every trade. When Carter and Niinimaa were traded, Lowe received death threats. I don't recall Slats ever receiving death threats. Slats was a genious to get the team into the playoffs while Lowe gets criticized for doing the same thing. After every trade, there are some fans that want Lowe fired. There is a real hate for Lowe and I can't point my finger at what it is though. One of things I think is that there are fans that were in love with Slats and no matter who would have become GM of the Oilers, that person would have been criticized. It's as simple as that.
can you please can the "everyone hates Lowe" crap?

speeds is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:50 AM
  #12
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
can you please can the "everyone hates Lowe" crap?
Everybody hates Lowe like everybody on here hates me. I'm not like and get criticized in every post. Why do I bother posting on a board that I'm hated on.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:57 AM
  #13
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
well i just said that i like lowe.... so not everybody hates lowe.... not by a long shot

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 09:05 AM
  #14
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
well i just said that i like lowe.... so not everybody hates lowe.... not by a long shot
I'm probably frustrated with some of the crap that's being said about the team, the players, the organization. It's only two game in and some people treat it as if there's only 2 games left in the regular season. It's really upsetting how this team gets criticized no matter what. I like Comrie and I just have a hard time believing what's being said about him. He never came out and said he wants out. It's all speculation and the media has made a mole hill out of a mole. I grew up with this team and have followed them since I was a teen in the WHA days and then the merger into the NHL. I went to all the rallys after to cup wins. There's just to much talk about Comrie and his contract when there are holdouts in Minnesota as well.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 09:15 AM
  #15
Jim_Harnock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
There's just to much talk about Comrie and his contract when there are holdouts in Minnesota as well.
Umm... well, that's probably because all of us here are Oiler fans, not Wild fans, and most are living in Canada, where player issues regarding Canadian teams are always written about and talked about more than any player issues south of the 49th.

I'm sure there's plenty of talk about Minnesota's holdouts over on the Minnesota board, but last time I check, this wasn't it. Are you expecting all the Edmonton-based writers who cover the Oilers to NOT write about Comrie's holdout and Oiler fans to NOT discuss the holdout of one of their most talented players?

Jim_Harnock is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 09:58 AM
  #16
gretzky2kurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
You probably can't remember when Slats resigned. Terry Jones blamed the owners for Slats resigning. Every trade that Lowe has made has been criticized by the media and and some fans alike. When Hamrlik was traded, some fans, in the minority I might add wanted Lowe fired. Some fans have said that Lowe has gotten fleeced in every trade. When Carter and Niinimaa were traded, Lowe received death threats. I don't recall Slats ever receiving death threats. Slats was a genious to get the team into the playoffs while Lowe gets criticized for doing the same thing. After every trade, there are some fans that want Lowe fired. There is a real hate for Lowe and I can't point my finger at what it is though. One of things I think is that there are fans that were in love with Slats and no matter who would have become GM of the Oilers, that person would have been criticized. It's as simple as that.
Last time I looked, Terry Jones wasn't "all of us." I mean the guy is large but......

I think every GM in the league knows they will be criticized in some fans eyes for every trade they make. There is no such thing as a utopian culture of hockey fan where everyone agrees with everyone. And if there is........I want no part of it.

I'm sorry for coming across harsh in my post to you, but I needed to get some things off my chest. We generally welcome everyone here. I know you feel "picked on".....but you target yourself more by saying things like, "why is everyone picking on me?" You create the stereo-type on your own. I've seen you on many occasion call people names and "idiot" etc. This can destroy alot of respect people build up for you. Sometimes it's a good idea to wait 20 minutes before reacting. I know I could do that more often.

You bring alot of good things to this board. I know I've learned interesting Oiler facts here and there from you. You post usefull links too. We know how passionate and protective you are of this team. But like I've learned to do myself (still trying) you need to stop sounding like a broken record at times about certain things. It's like I know when your gonna post......and what it's going to be about. I know which of my posts will get a response from you......and basically what you will say.

You need to stop painting everyone with the same brush.........and that includes when you say, "nobody here likes me here!"

gretzky2kurri is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 02:13 PM
  #17
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
this is really long, and i apologize for it, but i think it sums up what a lot of us are feeling about the whole comrie situation

the difference between the minnesota situation and comries situation is that they arent about money (though i have no doubts whatsoever that we would not be in this situation had lowe caved in and signed comrie to an extension last year).... i cant speak for everybody onthis board, but the reason i am so pissed at comrie is quite simple, thoguh kinda long

i have cheered for the oilers my ENTIRE life, i can remember being a little 9 year old kid when smith scored on fuhr and crying myself to sleep that night.... i can remember the terrible sting of the gretzky trade and not really being old enough to understand all the reasoning behind it..... i also remember with fondness the 2nd-5th cup wins (i was too young to recall the 1st cup win).... when i was younger i used to pretend to be moog out on the playground...... i still have a oilers penant from the 87-88 season with almost every autograph on it...... i can remember clear as day the first time i met wayne gretzky as a eskimos game

basically to sum it up, i bleed copper and blue, the oilers dont have a bigger supporter than me

now for the past 10 years or so, myself (and us as oiler fans in general) have gone through some trying times.... not making the playoffs, losing joseph, weight, guerin and others for purely financial reasons..... now since we have aquired comrie i have held faith.... we finally had a player that i felt would be different, he was from here, his father was a widely known edmonton personality, he was bounced on gretzky's knee as a kid.... last year i would look at our core group of players (smyth, comrie, york, hemsky, brewer, salo, isbister, dvorak) and i saw a team built for 2004+.... i had accepted all these other things as something that had to be done to get our team to 2004 in a good position, and with the team we had i really felt that we would be in good position

then this comrie situation starts to fester.... at first i thought it was about money, but the two sides would work it out, after all this was a player who was like me right? he grew up watching and loving the oilers like i did right?..... i started to hear rumors that in fact comrie didnt necessarily want more money, he just didnt want to play in edmonton.... of course when i first heard this i cast it aside as rumor and nothing more, why would a home town boy not want to play for his own good, up-and-coming young team? it just didnt make sense.... over time i see the reports and watch the interviews and it becomes very painfully clear to me that comrie does indeed want out of edmonton.... well, to me this is a slight to me personally and a slight to every edmonton fan out there..... could it be that im a bigger edmonton oiler fan and care more about the team than a person who is actually living out my boyhood fantasy?..... at first its hard to accept, but more and more i begin to realize the truth in it, and it hurts

the fact is that all of us who grew up oilers fans would play for free, would love the attention and would do anything in our power, as a player or as a fan, to bring a contender back to edmonton.... then we see a person in the exact situation to do so, and he balks at this dream of ours, decides that he doesnt want it...... THIS is why i feel its my right to be upset about the situation, THIS is why i feel so betrayed..... differences about money i can accept, but not wanting to play for your hometown team that you grew up idolizing?! ..... to me this is paramount to back stabbing a life-long friend.... its beyond my understanding how somebody in his position could make this decision

THIS is why im mad, feel betrayed and reserve the right to voice my opinion on the matter

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 02:19 PM
  #18
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I believe the media really screwed up what actually happened at the entry draft. Lowe was trying to move up in the draft into the top five. When the teams that held those top 5 wanted Comrie, Lowe declined. The media is interpreting it that Lowe tried shopping Comrie when in fact he declined when Comrie's name was mentioned as the return for the draft pick. The media, especially Brownlee shouldn't make these rumours if there's a chance of them not being true. Last night prior to the Oilers-Nucks game, KL was interviewed by Ron McLean. Lowe said he wants Comrie back and said he was a good kid. I can't remember everything he said in that interview.

Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 03:07 PM
  #19
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Everybody hates Lowe like everybody on here hates me. I'm not like and get criticized in every post. Why do I bother posting on a board that I'm hated on.
everyone doesn't hate you, everyone doesn't hate Lowe, please stop the hysterics.

speeds is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 09:34 PM
  #20
WestcoastOIL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
this is really long, and i apologize for it, but i think it sums up what a lot of us are feeling about the whole comrie situation

the difference between the minnesota situation and comries situation is that they arent about money (though i have no doubts whatsoever that we would not be in this situation had lowe caved in and signed comrie to an extension last year).... i cant speak for everybody onthis board, but the reason i am so pissed at comrie is quite simple, thoguh kinda long

i have cheered for the oilers my ENTIRE life, i can remember being a little 9 year old kid when smith scored on fuhr and crying myself to sleep that night.... i can remember the terrible sting of the gretzky trade and not really being old enough to understand all the reasoning behind it..... i also remember with fondness the 2nd-5th cup wins (i was too young to recall the 1st cup win).... when i was younger i used to pretend to be moog out on the playground...... i still have a oilers penant from the 87-88 season with almost every autograph on it...... i can remember clear as day the first time i met wayne gretzky as a eskimos game

basically to sum it up, i bleed copper and blue, the oilers dont have a bigger supporter than me

now for the past 10 years or so, myself (and us as oiler fans in general) have gone through some trying times.... not making the playoffs, losing joseph, weight, guerin and others for purely financial reasons..... now since we have aquired comrie i have held faith.... we finally had a player that i felt would be different, he was from here, his father was a widely known edmonton personality, he was bounced on gretzky's knee as a kid.... last year i would look at our core group of players (smyth, comrie, york, hemsky, brewer, salo, isbister, dvorak) and i saw a team built for 2004+.... i had accepted all these other things as something that had to be done to get our team to 2004 in a good position, and with the team we had i really felt that we would be in good position

then this comrie situation starts to fester.... at first i thought it was about money, but the two sides would work it out, after all this was a player who was like me right? he grew up watching and loving the oilers like i did right?..... i started to hear rumors that in fact comrie didnt necessarily want more money, he just didnt want to play in edmonton.... of course when i first heard this i cast it aside as rumor and nothing more, why would a home town boy not want to play for his own good, up-and-coming young team? it just didnt make sense.... over time i see the reports and watch the interviews and it becomes very painfully clear to me that comrie does indeed want out of edmonton.... well, to me this is a slight to me personally and a slight to every edmonton fan out there..... could it be that im a bigger edmonton oiler fan and care more about the team than a person who is actually living out my boyhood fantasy?..... at first its hard to accept, but more and more i begin to realize the truth in it, and it hurts

the fact is that all of us who grew up oilers fans would play for free, would love the attention and would do anything in our power, as a player or as a fan, to bring a contender back to edmonton.... then we see a person in the exact situation to do so, and he balks at this dream of ours, decides that he doesnt want it...... THIS is why i feel its my right to be upset about the situation, THIS is why i feel so betrayed..... differences about money i can accept, but not wanting to play for your hometown team that you grew up idolizing?! ..... to me this is paramount to back stabbing a life-long friend.... its beyond my understanding how somebody in his position could make this decision

THIS is why im mad, feel betrayed and reserve the right to voice my opinion on the matter
Nicely put, i think like yourself we all kinda feel the same way. living in edmonton can kinda do that to you.

but that said, this board is great for voicing ones opionions and ideas and we should always consider this when we read a post. I don't really post here to often, but i am an avid reader like most else out there and would hate to hear of someone not posting for fear of a negative response...

WestcoastOIL is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 07:15 AM
  #21
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Some of this I've said before, some of it I haven't.

I don't blame Mike Comrie for not wanting to play in Edmonton, if, in fact, he doesn't want to. There's places I'd rather work and places I'd rather not; the salary I'd get would be irrelevant, as would who was paying it. Everybody has the "right" to choose where they want to work, salary and salary-payers be damned. The "we pay your salary so you'd better be happy playing on 'our' team" argument only goes so far; in my opinion, it ends when the contract is up for renewal. MC is *not* holding out on an existing contract; he's made the decision that he'd rather not play than to sign with the Oilers. That's his decision, and his alone.

I *wish* if what he wants is a trade, that he'd just sign a freaking contract and *play* - worry about the trading later. Lowe isn't going to trade him for less than what he (Lowe) feels Comrie is worth - and while the league's opinion of what he's worth may go down the longer a holdout goes on, Lowe's sure won't. I really hope that MC isn't holding out on signing a contract, because he feels that when he does get traded, signing for lower money will hold him back.

If he does wind up playing for the Oilers, people can boo or not, as their opinions guide them. I can also think the booers are idiots, as *my* opinion guides me - and I will. I hated what was done to Arnott and Poti (particularly Arnie - what do we want now? A big centre. We had one, and he got booed out of town, I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for those who a) booed him, and b) are whining that Lowe can't find a big Cman). I'll hate it if it happens to Comrie too. That being said, it's part of playing in a professional league - poo happens. I think most players are aware of that. That may well be why some wouldn't want to play in Edmonton, and I don't blame them at all.

I probably had more, but it'd basically just be a rehash anyway. The conclusion, as any good essay should have: fans, feel free to boo, but don't whine that no highly skilled player seems to want to come to Edmonton, because *you* chase them away. Everybody's different, and players shouldn't be *expected* to put up with crap *just because* they get paid a lot of money. They're still human beings, just like me and you and the small black kid in Somalia and the big white kid in Siberia.

kraigus is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 07:55 AM
  #22
Yorkiegirl161861
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
This sort of thing comes with the territory. Professional players know that the second they put their names on those huge contracts they could be traded at virtually a moments notice, get booed by the fans, fall out of grace with the media, etc. It's part of doing what they do. I don't agree with fans booing a player on their team, but they pay to be there and its their option to do so. Yes, players are human have feelings and all that sort of thing, but they are being held to a standard and expectation and that is part of playing professionally.

Yorkiegirl161861 is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 08:02 AM
  #23
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I hated what was done to Arnott and Poti (particularly Arnie - what do we want now? A big centre. We had one, and he got booed out of town, I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for those who a) booed him, and b) are whining that Lowe can't find a big Cman).
The Arnott mess was one that bothered me for a long time, but I can't blame the fans alone for what happened to him...IMO Oilers management and Arnott himself have just as much blame to wear.

The biggest problem Arnott had was the timing in which he came to the Oilers. When he came here, the Oilers were one of the very worst teams in the NHL. Good lord, we had guys like Bob Beers, Adam Bennett, Scott Pearson and Mike Stapleton playing regular minutes. Arnott arrives as a physically mature 18 year old, and has that GREAT rookie year.

Suddenly, BOOM! He's the toast of the town, our big center who'll finally give Weight some support.

Problem was, he was still very much a kid. For whatever reason, he either didn't get or simply refused the veteran support he should have gotten. Corson was rumoured to be a bad influence on him, plus the team went through the George Burnett disaster that didn't do anyone any good.

Once it became apparent he wasn't able to center a productive line, he gets plunked onto Doug Weight's right wing and Ron Low utters one of the absolutely dumbest quotes I've ever heard, it was something like:

"I'm not expecting the world from him, I just want him to play on Weight's wing and score 40 goals a year." Yeah, no pressure there Ronnie!

Add to all this Arnie's famous "I just couldn't get into it" quote, his love of the night life and next thing you know you have a young hockey player who lost his way. The team tried to help, but it was too little too late at that point.

In my opinion, if Arnott had come along later he would've been a much better hockey player.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
10-13-2003, 08:55 AM
  #24
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl161861
This sort of thing comes with the territory. Professional players know that the second they put their names on those huge contracts they could be traded at virtually a moments notice, get booed by the fans, fall out of grace with the media, etc. It's part of doing what they do. I don't agree with fans booing a player on their team, but they pay to be there and its their option to do so. Yes, players are human have feelings and all that sort of thing, but they are being held to a standard and expectation and that is part of playing professionally.
As I said: <i>and players shouldn't be *expected* to put up with crap *just because*</i>.

Saying "and all that sort of thing, but" leads me to believe you missed my point. Why is it when, say, Dvo's kid is born prematurely, people say "oh, it's ok if he takes a week/month/whatever off", because "there's more to life than hockey", yet when a player's not up to par - however the par is defined, be it production wise or what a person wants the player to be morally/ethically - that's apparently forgotten?

I'm not saying stop cutting Dvo slack, I'm saying I think MC deserves *a bit more* slack than what he's getting. I'm not excusing his actions, but I think some people are being extremely intolerant.

Of course it comes with the territory, and players shouldn't be surprised that it happens, but that *doesn't excuse the behaviour*. It's the same as the other hot thread: if I show up at a Canucks game at GM Place wearing an Oilers jersey, I shouldn't be surprised if some people act like jerks towards me - it comes with the territory. That doesn't make it right that those people are acting like jerks, though.

kraigus is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 09:08 AM
  #25
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The Arnott mess was one that bothered me for a long time, but I can't blame the fans alone for what happened to him...IMO Oilers management and Arnott himself have just as much blame to wear.
etc
In my opinion, if Arnott had come along later he would've been a much better hockey player.
Yeah, I think you're probably right - my opinions are coloured by the fact I was stuck in Fredericton, NB at the time and I got very little hockey news (or games) - to me, it was just kind of *blam*.

Nevertheless, I don't think anybody would dispute that the fans had something to do with it, no?

As far as the infamous "couldn't get into it" quote: it was an incredibly stupid thing to say, granted, but I don't feel he should have been as raked over the coals about it as he apparently was. Everybody has an off-day at work, unfortunately. It was also an incredibly honest thing to say, and for myself, I'm tired of the platitude-spouting athletes: it's gotten to the point that I only watch the games, and ignore any of the bits between periods where they interview guys. I just make them up myself. "So, Ryan, what are your feelings on how the first period unfolded?" "Well, you know, we played fairly well I think, just we were the victims of a few bad bounces and they scored a couple of goals and that's why we're losing." Thank you, captain of the obvious. It's rare that a player will say "You know, we had a few bad bounces, but honestly, we're just having a hard time getting into it, it's been a long week." (Well, of course nobody's going to say that now anyway, look at Arnie.)

... and, as it turns out, Arnie turned into a pretty good player despite (perhaps because of) what he went through in Edmonton. He's certainly got more Cup-winning goals than most current NHL players.

Ah well, all I really wanted to say was I understand why people are down on MC, but I really wish that he'd get cut a little slack.

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.