HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

I love Mike Comrie and I hope he is back in Oiler

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Yorkiegirl161861

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
As I said: <i>and players shouldn't be *expected* to put up with crap *just because*</i>.

Saying "and all that sort of thing, but" leads me to believe you missed my point. Why is it when, say, Dvo's kid is born prematurely, people say "oh, it's ok if he takes a week/month/whatever off", because "there's more to life than hockey", yet when a player's not up to par - however the par is defined, be it production wise or what a person wants the player to be morally/ethically - that's apparently forgotten?

I'm not saying stop cutting Dvo slack, I'm saying I think MC deserves *a bit more* slack than what he's getting. I'm not excusing his actions, but I think some people are being extremely intolerant.

Of course it comes with the territory, and players shouldn't be surprised that it happens, but that *doesn't excuse the behaviour*. It's the same as the other hot thread: if I show up at a Canucks game at GM Place wearing an Oilers jersey, I shouldn't be surprised if some people act like jerks towards me - it comes with the territory. That doesn't make it right that those people are acting like jerks, though.
There is a difference between what is going on with Dvorak (something he has no control over) versus what's going on with Comrie (who does have some leverage of control over the situation. This sort of thing does come with the territory and yes its unpleasant.
I'm sure Comrie knows or at least strongly suspects that there will be some sort of backlash for his actions. Maybe people are being more harsh that you think they should, but that's what it is at the moment.

As for bashing fans wearing the opposition's jersey, there is NO EXCUSE for that behavior. It's inappropriate to put it mildy and its a whole other topic and comparision to what's going on with Comrie right now.

Old
10-13-2003, 05:38 PM
jadeddog

dvorak sure as hell didnt CHOOSE to have his child be born prematurely.... whilst comrie HAS chosen to act in the way he has..... you cant compare the two at all..... by comparing them you are saying comrie has no choice over the events that have happened, when in fact its been 100% his doing.... the comparison is simply wrong

Old
10-15-2003, 06:45 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then (jadedog and Yorkiegirl) - I'm too old, I guess, to have the energy to think about booing somebody for something they may or may not have done. I think you're wrong, and I think it's utterly lacking in class to boo guys wearing "your" team's jersey.

Enough from me on the topic, then.

Closed Thread