HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NO goal or goal?

View Poll Results: Goal or No goal STAR SABRES GAME 6 STANELY CUP
GOAL 10 12.82%
NO GOAL 68 87.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2005, 07:06 PM
SabresFan26

vCash: 500
NO goal or goal?

Well obviously everyone knows the playoffs Star vs Sabres Stanley cup game 6
overtime
Was Brett Hulls foot in the crease

I say yes and No goal

Old
11-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Random Ryan*

Send a message via MSN to Random Ryan*
no goal

Old
11-18-2005, 07:40 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

It's not even debatable. Back then, any part of your skate inside the crease = no goal.

No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Mike Bossy*

No Goal!

Old
11-19-2005, 03:15 AM
sunb

Dallas would likely still have won though. So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

Old
11-19-2005, 10:32 AM
KariyaIsGod*

It was highway robbery...

Old
11-19-2005, 10:34 AM
wilka91*

no goal, although I was glad that this horribly boring series was over.

Old
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Should not have counted. Dallas probably would have won the series anyways, but Buffalo still got hosed.

Old
11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
JonathanK
McOptimistic

Nevermind the 1 for goal as I clicked the wrong button.

Old
11-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Pavel

Not even close, no goal.

Old
11-19-2005, 01:14 PM
StevenintheATL

Who Cares?

Get over it already! If Atlanta Braves fans were like the Sabres fans, we'd still be calling the Twins cheaters......

Old
11-19-2005, 01:28 PM
stu the grim reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAE2
Nevermind the 1 for goal as I clicked the wrong button.
lol

Old
11-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Bad Karma

It was a goal.

Old
11-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Big Phil

According to the rules, no you're right it was no goal. But now that we have some comon sense it really WAS a goal. That was a ridiculous rule that spanned for three years and ended on that day. I once saw a goal called back because a guy had his foot in the crease - when the net was empty! Yeah no kidding.

The truth is Dallas was the better team. They deserved to win. Buffalo was lucky just to be there. Dallas had 114 points that year if I remember correctly.

And think about this one. If the goal was called back and Buffalo then scored and then went on to beat Dallas in game 7 there would be even more outcry. I think that would be even MORE unfair. So I said no goal, but in reality it was a goal. This was just a dumb rule dreamt up by Brian Burke. Suck it up Sabres fans, you'll never win a Cup! lol

Old
11-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
According to the rules, no you're right it was no goal. But now that we have some comon sense it really WAS a goal. That was a ridiculous rule that spanned for three years and ended on that day. I once saw a goal called back because a guy had his foot in the crease - when the net was empty! Yeah no kidding.

The truth is Dallas was the better team. They deserved to win. Buffalo was lucky just to be there. Dallas had 114 points that year if I remember correctly.

And think about this one. If the goal was called back and Buffalo then scored and then went on to beat Dallas in game 7 there would be even more outcry. I think that would be even MORE unfair. So I said no goal, but in reality it was a goal. This was just a dumb rule dreamt up by Brian Burke. Suck it up Sabres fans, you'll never win a Cup! lol
The rule was only in effect that one year only and Dominik Hasek could have cemented his legacy as the greatest goalie of the modern era with that cup. Hasek is the greatest goalie of the modern era, but, some doubters exist because of that goal which should have been disallowed.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
jiggs 10

Of course it was a goal. Hull had the puck on his stick when his foot went into the crease, it was pushed out of the crease...right back onto his stick, when he scored. He has the right to go into the crease to get the puck AFTER THE PUCK IS IN THERE. And he did at the time, too.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Dallas would have won the series and the Cup either way. No way Buffalo wins 3 straight from that Dallas team that year.

Old
11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
The rule was only in effect that one year only and Dominik Hasek could have cemented his legacy as the greatest goalie of the modern era with that cup. Hasek is the greatest goalie of the modern era, but, some doubters exist because of that goal which should have been disallowed.
Acutally no that rule was in effect for three years. Remember in 1998? Joe Juneau had his foot in the crease while Axelsson scored an OT winner in the playoffs against Washington. Washington goes onto win the game and the series and all you can do is read Pat Burns lips shouting on the bench "That's ****ing Horse***!" This rule effected a lot of teams at a lot of times. Boston would have went up 2-1 in games if they won that. And to think Washington actually made the finals that year! Yikes!

Old
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil

The idea behind the rule isn't the problem. The way it was enforced was the problem. When going upstairs on a crease call, the referee could only ask the video goal judge "Was a player in the crease before the puck?" If the answer was yes, regardless of how the player got in the crease, it was a no goal. The excuse the NHL gave after Game 6 in 1999 (several days after the fact, no less), was nothing more than spin doctoring. They never changed the rule. They came out with this bogus comment, supported by one instance of video evidence, to try to shut everyone up. It didn't work.

In the end, vespajet said it best: "Who Cares?" Get over it. Dallas goes on to win the series.

Old
11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Dallas would likely still have won though. So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

Buffalo scores in OT, we go to Game 7 and anything can happen in Game 7

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Old
11-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Erik

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via MSN to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
No goal.

Even less of a goal in the other SC Finals game 6, but they called that one right at least.

Old
11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
And with Hasek in the net anything can happen.

Old
11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Particularly when Dallas players admitted that they probably would have played like garbage in a game 7, because they were old and tired. The average age difference of the two teams was something like 6 years. That's a lot of extra mileage.

Old
11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Of course it was a goal.
Of course it was a goal, but youre wrong in your assessment. It shouldnt have counted (the fact that you are part of the gross minority should clue you in to that).

But it did count and no amount of polls, threads or *****ing will change that. Gretzky should have got a high-sticking penalty vs the leafs, the goal shouldnt have counted vs Buffalo... how many more could we find in history?

Old
11-22-2005, 03:03 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajet
Who Cares?

Get over it already! If Atlanta Braves fans were like the Sabres fans, we'd still be calling the Twins cheaters......
i second this motion

11-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Of course it was a goal. Hull had the puck on his stick when his foot went into the crease, it was pushed out of the crease...right back onto his stick, when he scored. He has the right to go into the crease to get the puck AFTER THE PUCK IS IN THERE. And he did at the time, too.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Dallas would have won the series and the Cup either way. No way Buffalo wins 3 straight from that Dallas team that year.
Thank-you Mr. Bettman.

But, we didn't buy it then and we don't buy it now.

Closed Thread