HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - Nov. 19th: New Jersey at Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Rico__Persson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
I meant Neil was skating through the crease as the first goal was scored
I thought you were referencing back to the Smolinski goal a couple of nights back.

On a side note, Smolinski was rocked. I think he's concussed. Too bad, he was working well with The Fish.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:22 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I thought you were referencing back to the Smolinski goal a couple of nights back.

On a side note, Smolinski was rocked. I think he's concussed. Too bad, he was working well with The Fish.
And why was he rocked? Because Pothier gave him a terrible pass in his skates. For a puck moving defenseman, he's not very good at it.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:42 PM
porknbeans

What happened to Volchenkov, SensGuy? You seem to be the only one noticing or commenting on it...

We've been pretty lucky with noninjuries the last couple weeks, guess it was only a matter of time before things turned around (for the worst that is)

Old
11-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

I was at the game - I didn't see exactly what happened to Volchenkov, but as the trainer was helping him off, he wasn't putting any weight on his right foot - he was stretching his leg and wiggling his foot around - it's either knee or ankle.

The guys on the TEAM said Smolinski has a shoulder injury - don't know how serious.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:57 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
What happened to Volchenkov, SensGuy? You seem to be the only one noticing or commenting on it...
Something at the end of the game. He was down on the ice at the buzzer and had to be helped off. Hope for the best I guess.

Old
11-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Something at the end of the game. He was down on the ice at the buzzer and had to be helped off. Hope for the best I guess.
It happened basically as the buzzer was going on as there was a scramble in front of the net. There were a bunch of players hitting the ice, so I didnt think anything of it until he didnt get up afterwards.

The Smoke hit was definitely a shoulder as they showed the trainer working on it on the bench. As much as I want to blame Pothier for the bad pass, Smoke had his head down for at least a 3 count crossing the blue line, which is a definite no-no, and he should have been more aware. I dont want to harp on a guy who just got smacked, but i dont think the blame should be passed on this one.

Old
11-20-2005, 01:49 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
It happened basically as the buzzer was going on as there was a scramble in front of the net. There were a bunch of players hitting the ice, so I didnt think anything of it until he didnt get up afterwards.
I just watched the replay of it a few times. Anton kind of got slashed on the back of his leg when he was laying on the ice, so maybe that was it.

Old
11-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil
What? 9 goals isn't enough for you? Or it's only an exciting game when the Sens win by a blow-out.
It's not the number of goals, it's the lack of flow and sustained action. We've seen a couple of nail-biters this year (against Montreal for example) that were exciting as hell. This wasn't. It was tense, but that's not the same. When you pay to see the Globetrotters, you're gonna be disappointed when they stage a Washingon Generals intra-squad game. I don't know if it was the Devils or the penalty parade, but last night's game was not a pretty sight. And the Devils have been notoriously averse to excitement over the year's, so it's easy to blame them.

Old
11-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
And why was he rocked? Because Pothier gave him a terrible pass in his skates. For a puck moving defenseman, he's not very good at it.
Not at all. It was a great pass, he recieved it at the red line. Smolinski bobbles it and watches the puck all the way into the offensive zone, and THEN, gets plastered.

No fault of Pothier's. He moved the puck well last night. The only thing he's lacking is confidence right now. He needs Jason Spezza's I don't give a **** what happens if I do a no look pass at the blueline type of confidence.

Can't blame the confidence issue as no one seems to want him in the building.

Old
11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Random Ryan*

Send a message via MSN to Random Ryan*
Good game by Ottawa... They brought it andlet it up a bit in thrid, but came back to keep it at 5-4! Go Sens Go!

Old
11-20-2005, 03:08 PM
lafite

I certainly don't share the opinion that NJ is a boring team. This, in my opinion, was a much better hockey game than the "globerotter" blow outs. It was the type of tough close hockey that Ottawa will have to play to win sometimes. Everybody chipped in, and the penalty killing was great.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Not at all. It was a great pass, he recieved it at the red line.
Great pass? How is a pass in someones skates a great pass? He didn't get it at the red line, it was much closer to the blueline. As someone else on another board said, it was 70% Pothier, 30% Smolinski.

Old
11-20-2005, 07:23 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

First game of the season that I missed.

I was cross-border shopping in New Hampshire.

Oddly enough, at Applebee's, I was sitting in a section where three tables in a row were from Ottawa.

I figured this out, when the server came over and the Bruins game was on, and asked someone who their favorite team was....all three tables said the Senators at the same time, and then stared at each other amazed.

I'm sorry I missed McGrattan's first goal. I remember when he was alone in front that one time, and I thought that was it.

Old
11-20-2005, 07:46 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Great pass? How is a pass in someones skates a great pass? He didn't get it at the red line, it was much closer to the blueline. As someone else on another board said, it was 70% Pothier, 30% Smolinski.
SensGuy, you're wrong and RP is right, sorry. I taped the game and just watched it again. The pass was stick to stick. The puck left Pothier's stick about 3 feet before the red line. Smoke received it just after passing the red line (5 feet maybe). It did hit the heel of Smoke's stick but he speed up just as Pothier was making the pass so there's no way that's Pothier's fault. Smolinski bobbled it back to between his skates and then kicked it back to his stick as he was passing the blue line. He couldn't get control and it skipped past his stick. He extended to try to get it back and then Whammo! That's a pretty vulnerable position to be in while receiving a solid body check.

I'm not the biggest Pothier fan in the world but he has been playing better lately, and there is NO WAY he is responsible for this injury. Watch the play again.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
SensGuy, you're wrong and RP is right, sorry. I taped the game and just watched it again. The pass was stick to stick. The puck left Pothier's stick about 3 feet before the red line. Smoke received it just after passing the red line (5 feet maybe). It did hit the heel of Smoke's stick but he speed up just as Pothier was making the pass so there's no way that's Pothier's fault. Smolinski bobbled it back to between his skates and then kicked it back to his stick as he was passing the blue line. He couldn't get control and it skipped past his stick. He extended to try to get it back and then Whammo! That's a pretty vulnerable position to be in while receiving a solid body check.

I'm not the biggest Pothier fan in the world but he has been playing better lately, and there is NO WAY he is responsible for this injury. Watch the play again.
Maybe my hate for Pothier got in the way.

I would rather see Schubert in.

Old
11-21-2005, 01:15 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Maybe my hate for Pothier got in the way.

I would rather see Schubert in.
If we give up Pothier as part of a trade for something more useful then I don't mind having Schubert sit for a while.

That said, I don't actually want to trade Pothier. I sure wish we had more young D-men on the farm who could step up in case of injury during the playoffs. Damn you Meszaros for being ready too early.

Old
11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
If we give up Pothier as part of a trade for something more useful then I don't mind having Schubert sit for a while.

That said, I don't actually want to trade Pothier. I sure wish we had more young D-men on the farm who could step up in case of injury during the playoffs. Damn you Meszaros for being ready too early.
We have 7 defencmen on this team more than most teams have and there are a couple of guys in Bingo who could step into the 5th or 6th position for a short time like Platil, Ward or Malec who have some NHL experience. How many more do you think we need?

Pothier seems to be doing quite well lately still makes a few too many mistakes but he is an excellent passer, plays the point on the 2nd PP unit and seemsto have the confidence of the coaches who keep putting him out there. If they didn't think he could do the job Schubert would see more ice time which he is not getting. Pothier reminds me of a Redden in his early days, he made a few mistakes too, the only difference is that although new to the NHL Pothier is older and should know better by now. Paddock seems to have some influence on this team, a lot of his players are playing important roles on this team like Kelly, McGratton, Schubert and Pothier.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:59 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
We have 7 defencmen on this team more than most teams have and there are a couple of guys in Bingo who could step into the 5th or 6th position for a short time like Platil, Ward or Malec who have some NHL experience. How many more do you think we need?
Based on training camp play, I'm not confident that those guys could step in and help during the playoffs. Remember 3+ years ago when we had like four #6 D-men? That was nice. I realize it's a luxury in the salary cap age. We couldn't afford (or protect) a bunch of actual #6 D-men unless they were still on their rookie contracts (and safely stashed away in Bingo).

How do you thing Platil, Ward or Malec would compare to Schubie?

Closed Thread