HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blockbuster Ottawa/Calgary proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747
wow - Ottawa gives up one of the top forwards in the league - and gets a #6 defensemen and a fouth line center
wow !
There is no-one on calgary who can help Ott with the exception of Iginla.
Do you have any clue what you are talking about, or are you strictly a brutal Sens homer? That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Havlat is a good forward, but definitely not one of the top in the league. The ability to be, yes, is he one, absolutely not. Leopold a #6 dman? Langkow a 4th line centre? If Langkow is yoru 4th line centre and Leopold your #6 dman then you have some kind of team. What are you on? You need to watch some hockey bud and develop an educated opinion because clearly yours isn't.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:48 PM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Do you have any clue what you are talking about, or are you strictly a brutal Sens homer? That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Havlat is a good forward, but definitely not one of the top in the league. The ability to be, yes, is he one, absolutely not. Leopold a #6 dman? Langkow a 4th line centre? If Langkow is yoru 4th line centre and Leopold your #6 dman then you have some kind of team. What are you on? You need to watch some hockey bud and develop an educated opinion because clearly yours isn't.
To be fair though, Leopold would probably be the #6 D-man on our blue line. I don't see him bumping any of Chara/Phillips/Redden/Volchenkov/Meszaros, he would only be an upgrade over Pothier.

I agree about Langkow though, he is hardly a 4th line center, in fact I liked him in Phoenix with Nagy, and could turn the season around when he gets adjusted.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I believe when he said 4th line center he meant Weimer, but I could be wrong.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Why in the HELL would Ottawa want to shake up their roster right now??
Also, why would Calgary? This trade makes all kinds of no sense.

Old
11-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Miko

We'll keep Langkow Leopold and Weimer and you keep Havlat Pothier
deal

Old
11-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Because playoff time the "run & gun" ends,would you rather shake up your lineup late?

Maybe i'm the only one that thinks Ottawa is still a little soft in the forward possition to make it threw to a cup win.
If you think the playoffs are going to be 8-2 games your dreaming

BTW,Ottawa is my second favorite team!

Old
11-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I have a hard time believing Ottawa could find no use for Phaneuf

Old
11-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

No thanks to the proposal.

The difference between Langkow and Havlat is not Leopold. Pothier and Varada are useless to Calgary, and - TRADING THEM TO CALGARY - gives them no value in this proposal, since similar types are already there (Montador and McCarty).

So basically it comes down to Langkow and Leopold for Havlat. Sorry, I don't value Havlat THAT much. If Langkow ends up getting 50-60 points (like he usually does) and Havlat gets 70-80, I'd rather have a solid gritty C in Langkow and a stud on the blueline in Leopold than a marginally better point-producer and a huge loss on defense.

Sorry, Ottawa.. no trade. This proposal reeks of crap, and rightfully so.

Old
11-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Iggy-4-50

Tell us how you really feel

BTW,McCarty is twice the player of Varada

Old
11-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Tell us how you really feel

BTW,McCarty is twice the player of Varada
Tell that to the Senators, who pay him 1.5x as much as McCarty...

Old
11-19-2005, 07:54 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
To Ottawa:

Daymond Langkow
Jason Wiemer
Jordan Leopold

To Calgary:

Martin Havlat
Brian Pothier
Vaclav Varada

Salarie difference ...a hundred grand to Ottawa

Keys are Calgary gets a #1 centre and Ottawa gets a gritty #2 centre plus a future stud in Leopold.

Havlat is as much mis-used in Ottawa as Leopold is in Calgary because of depth at position.

Ottawa gets a whole lot more grit for the playoffs (maybe they'll beat TO) and Calgary gets Skill (they have more than enough grit for the playoffs)

Fair?
FIrst off.. Calgary gets a first line Center??

Old
11-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
FIrst off.. Calgary gets a first line Center??
I know he's on R-wing now but i'm fairly sure he's played Centre. I think he was drafted as either Centre or L-wing...regardless,he could play centre with Iginla even if Iggy has to take the draws (which he mostly does lately anyway)

[edit}....NHLPA has Havlat as a Centre

From TSN, "Can play any of the three forward positions effectively."

Nice try at being a smarta*s though

Old
11-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Cerebral

I can't see many teams being eager to pick up Wiemer in a trade. He's been pretty brutal so far this season and he's making $950 000 which is bad for a fourth liner.

Old
11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Leb_Hitch*

First off why would Ottawa trade Havlat, it's pointless, the team looks practically pefect, and the chemistry is looking great. Why try to fix something that isn't even broken. Please leave Ottawa out of any proposals, except for one's that make sense like Varada only who is likely to be traded in the near future.

Old
11-19-2005, 08:59 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
I know he's on R-wing now but i'm fairly sure he's played Centre. I think he was drafted as either Centre or L-wing...regardless,he could play centre with Iginla even if Iggy has to take the draws (which he mostly does lately anyway)

From everything I know which might not be a lot, he's played rw for as long as I can remember and that's been part of the problem with him. He can't play left wing or Center nearly as effectively as rw and they are/were stacked at rw forcing him to play on the 3rd line.

If any team in the NHL is going to be trading for Havlat it's not so he can play Center on their team.

Old
11-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Well Iginla has been used at center during different times this year. Imagine a Kobasew-Iginla-Havlat line

11-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Transported Upstater

If this thread becomes like the last Ottawa-Calgary trade thread, you all can kiss it goodbye...

Old
11-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

Well, to be fair, Havlat has never played center on a consistant basis, and definitely not in the past 3 season, so although you are using the great TSN database as your source, it is still not correct. He couldnt play with someone like Iginla who needs the puck constantly, so even if he was a center, it wouldnt be to the benefit of Iginla.

and ice cream man, dont rip Varada for his contract and praise mccarty being a bargain, hes only a bargain because he got bought out of his last contract when he was making substantially more than Varada is.

Old
11-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Miko

Seems to me that ripping mccarty for signing to Calgary is reaching . He was bought out hmmmm evey team had a chance to get out of unwanted contracts. If Calgary signing mccarty was a mistake ,i'll make it again .He has been Solid with Yelle and Nilson Regardless what mccarty made before.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:09 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Is someone paying you to know this little about hockey?

good question... god trades like these are dumb, especially involving havlat, the demi god with hands of gold and feet of iron

Old
11-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Exactly.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Buy low, sell high.

That's why.

Not saying Ottawa should go for it or anything; I don't think this deal helps either team. Langkow is showing slight signs of waking up from his coma on the 2nd line, which has been actually pretty good for the past 2 games, so I have my fingers crossed. Meanwhile, Leopold means more to us then he would to Ottawa.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Is someone paying you to know this little about hockey?
Do you always get this offended when someone thinks lesser of a Flames player or prospect than you do?

Old
11-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Because playoff time the "run & gun" ends,would you rather shake up your lineup late?

Maybe i'm the only one that thinks Ottawa is still a little soft in the forward possition to make it threw to a cup win.
Yes, possibly... I really think Ottawa is passed the "soft" team marker they had on them.

Old
11-20-2005, 07:49 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I'm sure after you win the cup this year your castoffs will have some value. Until then get this - the guys you suggest suck big time. Langkow has been in the east and get this message - he can't play! Leopold would still be in the AHL or a part time player.
Further, we can't take the cap hit your cast offs would take up. Understand now ? Are you getting the message ? Or do I need to put it in crayon for you ?

Closed Thread