HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blockbuster Ottawa/Calgary proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
kyle747

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.7i
Do you always get this offended when someone thinks lesser of a Flames player or prospect than you do?
Flames fans get all personal when you question their team or players. Don't know why, I only come to the boards to shoot the **** and have fun. Not to make attacks on guys. I find it kind of sad.

Old
11-20-2005, 09:15 AM
discostu

This is just a bad trade overall. Both teams would be weakening themselves. But, at least people aren't calling Havlat a second line talent, so, these proposals are getting better.

Old
11-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Pothier

Ottawa has no need for a defencman. Pothier/Schubert are filling that role nicely. Daymond Langkow isn't the type of second line centre that the Sens could use. The Sens need a Playoff performer centre (see Doug Weight). And I'd keep Varada over Weimer.

I see an advantage here to CGY, considering they get one of the most explosive players in the league.

Old
11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
JD1

well, this has evolved pretty much the way I said it would two pages ago

The Calgary fans defending the skills of their guys and the Ottawa fans saying thanks but we don't want them. Same way that the last Calgary Ottawa trade thread went.

Ottawa is not in a position of having to make a trade. We have plenty of cap space available and may add to the roster down the stretch.

If a trade were to come along that is clearly beneficial to us for this year without giving away the farm, well then that would be something to think about.

How about
Iginla, Phaneuf for Havlat, Volchenkov and Lee (our first round D man from last draft). Calgary gets a very talented forward, Volchenkov is in our top 4 and the name mostly commonly used to compare Lee to is Scott Neidermayer.

The Calgary fans probably don't like this suggestion and will get all tied up about even suggesting it. The point is such a trade would be clearly in Ottawa's best interest for this year.

Any trade Ottawa makes would have to be clearly in its best interest this year. The names being thrown around in this particular thread, while certainly containing some decent talent, are not clearly in Ottawa's best interest. Maybe the trade would help Ottawa, maybe it wouldn't.

The point is that Ottawa really doesn't need to make a trade and deosn't need the "maybes" right now.

Old
11-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1
The Calgary fans defending the skills of their guys and the Ottawa fans saying thanks but we don't want them. Same way that the last Calgary Ottawa trade thread went.
Seems to me this thread has evolved more into a bash Flames fans more then anything.

If you actually read the thread, it seems like there are more fans here taking a personal agenda and feel more inclined to put in their two cents about our fanbase rather then actually defend our players.

Hey, we know Langkow is playing like he's in a coma now. We get it. We also know Leopold has been in a slump offensively as well.

I just don't think anyone realizes that this trade, dispite getting us back a skilled scorer, guts our depth.

In fact, if you had actually bothered to read the thread, most of us recognize its a bad trade for BOTH teams.

So keep either stick to the thread and the topic (like Hockey?) or keep your 2 cents to yourself, ok?

Old
11-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Mike Bossy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKarateMonkey
how does calgary gets a #1 center out of this deal again??
Iginla can play center

Amonte-Iginla-Havlat

Old
11-20-2005, 04:29 PM
flambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bossy
Iginla can play center

Amonte-Iginla-Havlat
Ah.......no. Sutter has tried Iggy there to shake up the forwards. Iggy is not a Centre, I believe the Flames are looking for a Centre not a right winger. This trade will never happen. As Phauthier mentioned it does not work for either team.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Phanuthier is right... we need a center first right now, not another winger.

It's too bad Mike Comrie isn't more of a two-way player... and didn't come with the off-ice baggage he's historically had. He'd be a great setup man for Iginla. Sutter would drive him into the ground retardedly fast, though.

Old
11-20-2005, 06:07 PM
JD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Seems to me this thread has evolved more into a bash Flames fans more then anything.

If you actually read the thread, it seems like there are more fans here taking a personal agenda and feel more inclined to put in their two cents about our fanbase rather then actually defend our players.

Hey, we know Langkow is playing like he's in a coma now. We get it. We also know Leopold has been in a slump offensively as well.

I just don't think anyone realizes that this trade, dispite getting us back a skilled scorer, guts our depth.

In fact, if you had actually bothered to read the thread, most of us recognize its a bad trade for BOTH teams.

So keep either stick to the thread and the topic (like Hockey?) or keep your 2 cents to yourself, ok?
I read the entire thread and I read the one last week as well. And I stuck to the thread and hockey.

I'm not flaming Flames fans. You guys ahve a good team and it is not off to the start that many expected. Our team is off to the start that was expected. But, this thread and the other thread we originated by Calgary fans and were largely interpreted as unequal and uninteresting to Ottawa fans. Then the lobs started back and forth over who was better than who etc.

My point was very simple -> Ottawa does not need to make a trade. If it were to make a trade, it would need to be something decidely in Ottawa's favour from a hockey view point. This trade is not. Neither was the last thread.

Is there something particular in my post that you felt was a flame that warranted being told to keep my 2 cents to myself? I even complimented your players by stating that the proposal did contain some decent talent.

I proposed a trade decidely in Ottawa's favour and then quickly went about playing up what Calgary gets in the deal. Really now, how is that any different than what started this thread or the last thread. It is not a legit proposal and by and large Ottawa fans do not consider what has been proposed in this thread or the lat as legit either.

No flaming intent on my end at all. Just making a point.

Old
11-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747
I'm sure after you win the cup this year your castoffs will have some value. Until then get this - the guys you suggest suck big time. Langkow has been in the east and get this message - he can't play! Leopold would still be in the AHL or a part time player.
Further, we can't take the cap hit your cast offs would take up. Understand now ? Are you getting the message ? Or do I need to put it in crayon for you ?
You just make yourself sound more and more stupid with each post you make. It actually made me laugh though so thanks for that. Leopold in the AHL? Ya, I can see that one happening. Regardless of what Sens fans may think, Leopold would be in your top 4, there is no doubt about it. Volchenkov and Meszaros have played well but they are not top 4 defenders at this point. Leopold is, end of story. But you must only pay attention to points so you would assume he's nothing. That's right. Oh right, he's not a Sens player so he must not be very good. And yes, Langkow can't play, that's why he is a consistent 50+ point player, I forgot, those guys can't play. You got me, Langkow and Leopold are just cast offs, sorry about that. And if I remember correctly, the last time there was hockey, "our castoffs" made it to the cup final, the same can't be said of your "superstars".

Maybe you should put it in crayon for me because it clearly doesn't make any sense when it's typed. These are the kinds of posters that ruin threads around here.

Old
11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1
How about
Iginla, Phaneuf for Havlat, Volchenkov and Lee (our first round D man from last draft). Calgary gets a very talented forward, Volchenkov is in our top 4 and the name mostly commonly used to compare Lee to is Scott Neidermayer.

The Calgary fans probably don't like this suggestion and will get all tied up about even suggesting it. The point is such a trade would be clearly in Ottawa's best interest for this year.
Of course Calgary fans don't like the suggestion because the suggestion is absolutely horrendous. I really hope that was meant to be a joke because if it wasn't then it's one of the worst I've seen. You wouldn't find someone willing to give up Iginla alone for that package, regardless of how talented you think your Sens are. Then you want arguably the top young defenceman in the game included in the deal? Yikes, I hope this isn't the way all Sens fans think because that's just poor.

Old
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
JD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Of course Calgary fans don't like the suggestion because the suggestion is absolutely horrendous. I really hope that was meant to be a joke because if it wasn't then it's one of the worst I've seen. You wouldn't find someone willing to give up Iginla alone for that package, regardless of how talented you think your Sens are. Then you want arguably the top young defenceman in the game included in the deal? Yikes, I hope this isn't the way all Sens fans think because that's just poor.
instead of getting your knickers in a knot, you should read a little more. Yes it was a joke.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
In terms of value:

Iginla for Havlat, Volchenkov (who IS a top 4 by the way), and Lee...

I'd say that's about right

Old
11-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1
I'm not flaming Flames fans. You guys ahve a good team and it is not off to the start that many expected.
1 loss in their past 9 games?

Oh, bad start.

Guess what, I don't think a deal makes sense either. I know the Flames core managed to make it to the Stanley Cup finals, while Ottawa has fallen flat on their face time and time again. So, I think I'll stick with my guys (fantasy) and you with yours, and we'll see who leads their team and where.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:

Oh, bad start.

Guess what, I don't think a deal makes sense either. I know the Flames core managed to make it to the Stanley Cup finals, while Ottawa has fallen flat on their face time and time again. So, I think I'll stick with my guys (fantasy) and you with yours, and we'll see who leads their team and where.
Didn't really want to stoop this low, but:

Ain't no cup for 2nd place :-(

Old
11-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:

Oh, bad start.

You know Phanuthier when i proposed this deal i didn't realize how dumb the responces from Ottawa fans would be!

They basicly call Langkow a bum and Leopold an AHL'er and show they have no clue at all what it takes for a team to finish the playoff race,they think much like our buddy Oilers fans up north "score,score and score some more" and fail to realize it takes teamwork and ALL parts of a puzzle to win when the tough gets going.

The deal i proposed filled holes for BOTH teams as both teams would be dealing from their strengths.

Calgary gets a exciting flashy player to help in the regular season and a couple of "bit" players Sutter may be able to groom into fine players.

In turn Ottawa gets a proven 2nd line centre that will play with an edge in the playoffs,a true top 4 D-man (on ANY team) that could turn into something very special and a 3rd-4th line centre that will go to war for you plus chip in a few goals.

If these fans can't see past their own team then piss on them,i'm pulling the proposal

Old
11-21-2005, 02:21 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
You know Phanuthier when i proposed this deal i didn't realize how dumb the responces from Ottawa fans would be!

They basicly call Langkow a bum and Leopold an AHL'er and show they have no clue at all what it takes for a team to finish the playoff race,they think much like our buddy Oilers fans up north "score,score and score some more" and fail to realize it takes teamwork and ALL parts of a puzzle to win when the tough gets going.

The deal i proposed filled holes for BOTH teams as both teams would be dealing from their strengths.

Calgary gets a exciting flashy player to help in the regular season and a couple of "bit" players Sutter may be able to groom into fine players.

In turn Ottawa gets a proven 2nd line centre that will play with an edge in the playoffs,a true top 4 D-man (on ANY team) that could turn into something very special and a 3rd-4th line centre that will go to war for you plus chip a few goals.

If these fans can't see past their own team then piss on them,i'm pulling the proposal

A) 1 poster made those comments. So you are generalizing.

B) The majority of us don't think Leopold and Langkow are crap. The deal just does not make sense for us.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:27 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

In turn Ottawa gets a proven 2nd line centre that will play with an edge in the playoffs,a true top 4 D-man (on ANY team) that could turn into something very special and a 3rd-4th line centre that will go to war for you plus chip in a few goals.
The deal you proposed offered us two downgrades, which you hoped to patch up with Leopold. But we don't need Leopold, so your deal makes no sense for us.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Didn't really want to stoop this low, but:

Ain't no cup for 2nd place :-(
Oh you sure showed me

Old
11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

Well, I am glad you Flames fans have it all figured out then for the rest of us

It was said repeatedly throughout this thread, which you seemed to bypass, that this trade makes no sense for both teams. Ottawa doesnt need a second line center for havlat, if they need one, its to play with him. They dont need a top 4 guy now, they might need one next year to replace one who may or may not leave.

Weimer wouldnt even make our club right now, believe it or not.

Ottawa has it all right now except that proven second line center, and every sens fan would be happy to leave that alone granted we stay healthy. As much as you think Ottawa is lacking all of these qualities, they are put together, arguably better, than the team that beat your flames team last time around. I dont think that can be argued since Ottawa has been flying since day one. This is a different team, the flames are a different team as well, both are exceeding right now, why the heck do they make this trade which if anything takes things off the table for both. It lacks an incredible amount of sense, which if you had actually read everyones posts opposed to a few standouts, you would realize most fans on both sides believe.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
The deal you proposed offered us two downgrades, which you hoped to patch up with Leopold. But we don't need Leopold, so your deal makes no sense for us.
Really,personly i think Langkow and Wiemer would be a big thrust for Ottawa in the playoffs. And tell me in a year or two you don't need a young stud defenceman when a couple of your current ones leave for greener pastures

Old
11-21-2005, 02:54 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Really,personly i think Langkow and Wiemer would be a big thrust for Ottawa in the playoffs. And tell me in a year or two you don't need a young stud defenceman when a couple of your current ones leave for greener pastures
I would rather have Havlat and Varada for the playoffs.
We could certainly use Leopold as soon as July 1st, 2006. But not until then.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:59 AM
bert

Clearly Leopold and Langkow are good players. I would take Leopold over Volchenkov for sure, but that doesnt not make Volchenkov a top 4 defenseman he is. Leopold is a top 3 guy but the sens already have three top three guys and one top 4. Langkow is defenitly a better 2nd line offensive center then the sens have but he isnt that gigantic of an upgrade that the sens should deal a player like havlat. Havlat is a ppg player and he gives the sens a 2nd line and 2nd pp. The sens need this type of player more then Langkow or Leopold. I dont think very highly of Pothier but this trade just doesnt make sense for Ottawa.

Weimer and Varada are somewhat of a wash.

The trade just doesnt make sense for the sens.

Old
11-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Havlat is a ppg player.
Potental to be a PPG player yes,his playoff record suggests you need an upgrade though.

You can't teach playoff performance and grit.Havlat hasn't proven anything yet!

Old
11-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Potental to be a PPG player yes,his playoff record suggests you need an upgrade though.

You can't teach playoff performance and grit.Havlat hasn't proven anything yet!
and langkow has? hes got 2 fewer points in 10 fewer games, but havlat was also much younger for those years. Weimer has only had two playoffs, so i dont know how you can make the argument that Ottawa is gaining playoff performers when that is clearly not the case

also, ppg means point per game, which havlat was last season and is so far this season. Cant call it potential when hes already done it

Closed Thread