HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Did I miss the bandwagon memo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 11:35 AM
serum114

vCash: 500
Did I miss the bandwagon memo?

Jeeezus, what a whiny bunch of bandwagon chumps we look like. Seriously people, get your wits about you.

I sit through a bad outing by the Oilers, go out drinking, come home, sleep, wake up and the board is full fo everyone and their dog trying to cuss out every skater on the Oilers roster.

The fact of the matter is we played poorly against one of the 6 or 7 best teams in the league. They outhustled us, outskilled us and outplayed us. Jovo laid waste to Izzy physically, but that whole team laid waste to us in every possible way.

But you know what kids? It was just one game.

Brewer opens the year with a couple of bad outings and all of a sudden he's a chump. Apparently now Staios and Smith are bums and the rest of our roster are lazy, talentless hacks.

Show some f**king self-respect people. Teams have off games, especially young teams like the Oilers, and there will be more games like this in the future. There will also be more games like the San Jose tilt.

Today, this board is proof positive that the word "fan" is a shortened version of "fanatic."

Old
10-12-2003, 11:57 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Jeeezus, what a whiny bunch of bandwagon chumps we look like. Seriously people, get your wits about you.

I sit through a bad outing by the Oilers, go out drinking, come home, sleep, wake up and the board is full fo everyone and their dog trying to cuss out every skater on the Oilers roster.

The fact of the matter is we played poorly against one of the 6 or 7 best teams in the league. They outhustled us, outskilled us and outplayed us. Jovo laid waste to Izzy physically, but that whole team laid waste to us in every possible way.

Brewer opens the year with a couple of bad outings and all of a sudden he's a chump. Apparently now Staios and Smith are bums and the rest of our roster are lazy, talentless hacks.

Show some f**king self-respect people. Teams have off games, especially young teams like the Oilers, and there will be more games like this in the future. There will also be more games like the San Jose tilt.

Today, this board is proof positive that the word "fan" is a shortened version of "fanatic."
I'm sure that if we try hard enough, we could find a few other choice words too.

We may have had "a bad outing", but if it wasn't for a few things that were out of our control, this game was a lot closer than the final score. Definitely a learning experience, if I ever saw one.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:30 PM
dem

Hehe
Its like some of these people expect to never lose. I cant wait to see this board after the Avalanche bend the Oilers over next Saturday

Old
10-12-2003, 12:53 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Hehe
Its like some of these people expect to never lose. I cant wait to see this board after the Avalanche bend the Oilers over next Saturday
God that game could be awful for the Oilers we must pray Tommy Salo looks like Patrick Roy that or we dont even have a chance.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
I don't really know if we as Oiler fans (or as Canadian hockey fans) could be any other way. We're a rollercoaster ride.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:48 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Hehe

my girlfriend is usually around when im watching oilers games and is baffled by my intensity during the game, so ill tell you what ive told her a million times now...... i dont expect much, just perfection, lol.

im like this with every sport though, and i thin i know why. my 3 favorite teams are as follows: edmonton oilers, edmonton eskimos and the michigan wolverines. now i was born in 77, so i really "cut my teeth" in sports during the eighties. the above 3 teams didnt lose a whole lot during the 80s, and the eskimos and wolverines still dont lose very often. i have just cometo expect my teams to win, and win OFTEN..... thats just how it is.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:

Don't be a *****, Serum. I'm glad everyone is pissed about last night. At least we care about our team losing and don't just shrug it off. That's one of the reasons I love the Oilers. Fans expect big things each year and aren't satisfied with continually coming in eigth in the standings. And we will finish no higher than 7th or 8th if we can't play well against teams in our own division.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I can see they care by booing players out of town. Arnott, Poti. Is Comrie next. If they care, they wouldn't be boing good players out of town. Why boo a player if he's a holdout. It's business. This isn't meant to all fans, just the fans that boo. These players that are holdouts should be given a chance to prove their worth and they won't if fans are constantly booing when they touch the puck or are on the ice.

10-12-2003, 02:19 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Don't be a *****, Serum. I'm glad everyone is pissed about last night. At least we care about our team losing and don't just shrug it off. That's one of the reasons I love the Oilers. Fans expect big things each year and aren't satisfied with continually coming in eigth in the standings. And we will finish no higher than 7th or 8th if we can't play well against teams in our own division.

Sorry, it was a bit harsh now that I look back on it.

I think I'm less upset with the attitude and more with the apparent lack of reason. I have been a poster on (and fan of) these boards for almost four years and the level of discussion just seems to be lacking in the Vancouver game related threads.

I expect the guys to come out and beat every team, because I think if they're on their game they can do it. However the doom and gloom after one game followed by sweeping generalizations about individual players rubs me the wrong way. Not because I don't think the players can take it but because it lowers the intelligence level of the dialogue, one of the most redeeming qualities of the Oilers board.

But I must say it felt good to get an emotional outburst out there

Old
10-12-2003, 03:48 PM
glimradnor

vCash: 450
That one game shattered my whole system of beliefs. I can no longer call myself a supporter of theirs.

I hate them...well, until they win again...

/sarcasm

Old
10-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Lowetide

There have been precious few times in the Oilers history when the team showed little heart. The Oilers had a few things go awry, and then did their version of a jailbreak.

The Canucks played like a team with a goal, and the Oilers did not, and that's a little disheartening to watch when it's game two!

I find the behaviour on this board refreshing. If you're HAPPY after last night then there's something very wrong.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Obsessed

Actually, I though it was Brewers best game of the year. He made several interceptions in front of Salo.

Our psyche is easily crushed, obviously, because we all know the first goal was pure JUNK! However, thats the game of hockey and the Oil will most certainley get their own missed calls.

Most of our fans are more emotional about certain teams. Dallas, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary... Thats why we take loses to Vancouver personally. I have alot of family in Van and on the Island and I take a supreme ribbing every single time we lose to the Nucks.

I know that I am not alone. I was pissed about the effort from our team. We looked like a junior team. A couple more nights like that and I will be worried. But I cant get too down. Im just soooo damn happy that there is hockey to watch and talk about!

In short. It was a piss poor effort. It was game 2. Lets kick Calgary's lil red wagon and everything wil be ok.

Obsessed. Yes I am.

Closed Thread