HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL-STL Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2005, 06:10 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

vCash: 500
MTL-STL Proposal

To MTL: D.Weight and C.Backman

To STL: M.Ribeiro, S.Souray and a 3rd round pick

STL get rid of Weight salary and gets a younger at foward. They lose Backamn but with Jackman, Woywitka and Lynch they aren't in has bad shape has the foward situation. They also add a pick that could turn out to be valuable down the road.

MTL gets better right away with Weight in a attempt to make a push in the playoff and also soften the blow of the loss of Kovalev. Backman add some much needed offensive boost from the back and potential but also loose toughness.

How about it?

Old
11-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Marksman

I really doubt Blues will be giving away any of their young players, Backman no exception, and if they decide to go rebuilding mode theres no need for Souray either.

Old
11-19-2005, 06:32 PM
yentlmania

Backman will not be part of any Blues deal unless a player the quality of a Higgins was acquired and even then it would be tough, we really like his game. Ottawa, Calgary will want Weight and might have more to trade than Montreal ( unless Higgins or Pereshogin were included, which I doubt you would do). Brewer though could be had for the right price and I believe others have indicated that Ryder + 2nd might fit. Consider this though, if you want Weight and Brewer, would you move : Higgins, Ryder and #2? Realize it is stiff but if you guys are this close to contending then maybe this moves you closer to Ottawa and Philly? Like Riberio, but we have depth at centre and nothing approaching that at wing.

Old
11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
As long as Souray keeps popping up in a MTL-STL trade proposal, I'll take it as a not-very-serious offer.
ADD: and as long as Backman keeps popping up, I'll take it even less seriously.

Old
11-19-2005, 06:38 PM
kimzey59

So the Blues give up the 2 best players in the trade and get massive downgrades in both positions? NO.

Old
11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL

STL get rid of Weight salary and gets a younger at foward. They lose Backamn but with Jackman, Woywitka and Lynch they aren't in has bad shape has the foward situation. They also add a pick that could turn out to be valuable down the road.

MTL gets better right away with Weight in a attempt to make a push in the playoff and also soften the blow of the loss of Kovalev. Backman add some much needed offensive boost from the back and potential but also loose toughness.

How about it?

How the hell do you fit Weight's salary in our cap situation? Plus, Doug is no upgrade to Ribeiro. In my opinion, we are better off with Mike.

Old
11-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD
Doug is no upgrade to Ribeiro...

OK. It's evident you have no idea who Doug Weight is, or what he's capable of.

The trade is a non-starter for the Blues in any case, as long as Christian Backman's name is part of it.

P_B

Old
11-19-2005, 11:24 PM
BlueBleeder

Backman has emerged as our top d-man, he is going nowhere anytime soon.

Old
11-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
heh, I was about to post a MTL/STL proposal. I thought this up in like a minute, so bare with me. I'm not really serious about it.

TO STL: Bonk + Souray + 4th
TO MTL: Doug Weight + Barrett Jackman

I heard that St Louis may be shopping Weight around, so he fits in there. Jackman I see as a Souray type player from the few times I've seen him. Bonk... isn't playing as I know he should be, so maybe he just doesn't work with the Habs. The pick to even things out.

Yeah, like I said, not the best offer. FLAME AWAY!

Old
11-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD
How the hell do you fit Weight's salary in our cap situation? Plus, Doug is no upgrade to Ribeiro. In my opinion, we are better off with Mike.

Say what?

Old
11-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

In a habsfan point of view it's a bad trade

Ribeiro
Younger
More resistance to injuries
Salary lower

Old
11-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Transported Upstater

I thought you meant it in terms of talent level.

All I'm saying is that Ribero doesn't compare to Weight skill-wise. I meant nothing else.

Old
11-20-2005, 04:32 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
heh, I was about to post a MTL/STL proposal. I thought this up in like a minute, so bare with me. I'm not really serious about it.

I heard that St Louis may be shopping Weight around, so he fits in there. Jackman I see as a Souray type player from the few times I've seen him. Bonk... isn't playing as I know he should be, so maybe he just doesn't work with the Habs. The pick to even things out.

You asked for this.

I'm a Habs fan at heart, but I have to say this proposal is even worse than the first one. Atleast they got 25 yo Ribeiro back in that one. You have to understand Blues are propably going into full scale rebuilding. You dont rebuild trading your youngest NHL material players away for veterans, when you can add those as free agents later... if few veterans make much difference for a young team anyhow.

Personally I wouldnt be surpriced to see Blues making purge, little like Rangers had in March '04, trading most of the players over 25 (Weight, Tkachuk, Cajanek, Young, Sillinger, Weinrich, McAmmond, Brewer, Drake and Lalime) but keeping their younger player. Packaging decent young player like Backman or Jackman in these trades would be just throwing baby with the bathwater.

IMHO. Brewer for Hainsey (or some other prospect) + 3rd would be the type of deal STL might actually consider.

Old
11-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:

Clearly you're not serious about it. I saw both Souray and Jackman in the proposal.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

haha, like I said, I put a minute of thought into it and it was at 1AM. I wasn't totally awake. Yes, my offer is terrible.

Go Habs.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:40 AM
kimzey59

Quote:

1) Again; the Blues give up the 2 best players in the deal and take MASSIVE downgrades in both positions. NO.

2) Weight we are shopping. That said; we are not going to GIVE him away for chump change. If you want Weight; start with Ribiero and a 2nd round pick. We aren't giving him up for anything less(and the 2nd round pick is more important to us than Ribiero is).

3) Jackman is not available for anything less than a Top Prospect and a 1st round pick(Example; Perezhogin and a 1st round pick). Souray isn't going to get anything from us(except maybe a good laugh).

Old
11-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
2) Weight we are shopping. That said; we are not going to GIVE him away for chump change. If you want Weight; start with Ribiero and a 2nd round pick. We aren't giving him up for anything less(and the 2nd round pick is more important to us than Ribiero is).
Like I said, I know my offer is awful, but this is overpaying for an old, high paid, Doug Weight.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL

How about it?
You know all you canadiens fans make fun of us leafs fans when we make stupid trade propsals well heres one stupid proposal. why would stl do this they dont want those guys there rebuilding losing there best player for ribeiro i mean come on and backman for souray lol

Old
11-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
IMHO. Brewer for Hainsey (or some other prospect) + 3rd would be the type of deal STL might actually consider.
Okay, you make all great points above but then you say this. Brewer, a good young defenseman, for a ****ing bust in Hainsey?

Man, Hab fans have to be the worst at trade proposals.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
You asked for this.

I'm a Habs fan at heart, but I have to say this proposal is even worse than the first one. Atleast they got 25 yo Ribeiro back in that one. You have to understand Blues are propably going into full scale rebuilding. You dont rebuild trading your youngest NHL material players away for veterans, when you can add those as free agents later... if few veterans make much difference for a young team anyhow.

Personally I wouldnt be surpriced to see Blues making purge, little like Rangers had in March '04, trading most of the players over 25 (Weight, Tkachuk, Cajanek, Young, Sillinger, Weinrich, McAmmond, Brewer, Drake and Lalime) but keeping their younger player. Packaging decent young player like Backman or Jackman in these trades would be just throwing baby with the bathwater.

Not sure that the Blues would want Hainsey, who winds up in every Montreal proposal. Brewer is a No 2 Dman for most teams. Hainsey and a 3rd woudn't get you Brewer. May have to add a 1st and a different prospect, such as Higgins. Especially considering Brewer is not a UFA next year.

Hainsey and a 3rd would probably get you Weight though. I wouldn't be to stunned if the Blues moved CAjanek and kept Weight. But I agree that there will be a bit of a house cleaning in St. Louis this season.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads

No. As bad as Hab's fans can be Leaf's fans are still MUCH worse. The other day I had somebody try to convince me that Darcy Tucker and a 3rd round pick was OVERPAYMENT for Brewer. Hab's fans overvalue their prospects; but at least they can admit that they have some scrubs in their lineup.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
No. As bad as Hab's fans can be Leaf's fans are still MUCH worse. The other day I had somebody try to convince me that Darcy Tucker and a 3rd round pick was OVERPAYMENT for Brewer. Hab's fans overvalue their prospects; but at least they can admit that they have some scrubs in their lineup.

Hahahaha, only a Hab fan would bring up the Leafs in a Montreal-STL trade prosposal thread .

I love it.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:02 AM
gars59

kostitsyn + hainsey + 2nd for brewer

Old
11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
Okay, you make all great points above but then you say this. Brewer, a good young defenseman, for a ****ing bust in Hainsey?

Please re-read my proposal, you missed something. (Hint: its in parentheses.)

Remember, Gainey got Alexei Kovalev for Josef Balej and 2nd round pick.

Personally I dont see Brewer commanding bigger return.

Old
11-20-2005, 12:42 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59
kostitsyn + hainsey + 2nd for brewer
Overpayment if Brewer is UFA next summer (like someone said, the Habs got their best player(Alex Kovalev) for Josef Balej, a 23 yo guy who wouldn't be ahead of Pierre Dagenais in any Depth Chart, and a pick. Eric Brewer would not even be the best D-Men on the team...).

And a NO-TOUCH for the Blues if Brewer is not a UFA next summer.

Closed Thread