HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Defence

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 10:04 AM
ping

vCash: 500
Canucks Defence

I was surprised to see Marek Malik sit out last game as I figured Allen and Slegr would be alternating out at the start. I guess it would be these 3 alternating throughout the year then? I can't see Jovo, Ohlund, or Salo sitting out unless they're injured. Does Sopel alternate in and out then too? Has Crow said what they're going to be doing with regards to that?

Slegr and Allen both played well last night. Allen seemed more calm then opening night and let a rocket of a shot off at one point. He played tough as well, which we all know is something the Canucks need.

Slegr was a pleasant surprise. He showed a little bit of a physical side. He solidly checked a few people into the boards instead of just running into them like Malik, Salo and some of the other defencemen do. He also notched the third goal which is always nice.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:31 AM
maruk14

People were underrating Slegr's physical play all summer. He will give you a physical presence on the blue line, you just need to learn to live with his occasional bad pass. Overall he skated very well, and seemed to get into the game after a shaky first couple of shifts.

Sopel scares the crap out of me every time he is on the ice. I would much rather see him scratched until he learns how to skate again.

Jovo's pass on Cooke's 2nd goal was a beauty, and coming to Linden's defense is only going to make this team grow closer.

Malik had a good 1st game, and he will be playing a lot more often than not this season. I think this was just a case of getting Allen another game early on, and needing to get Slegr in the lineup. I would rather they scratched Sopel, but oh well.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:48 AM
skoalski

vCash:
Sopel should have been scratched instead, he's just a liability to the canucks every time he's on the ice.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:53 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Sopel, Ohlund, Malik, Jovanovski are all +2.

Slegr and Allen are +1.

Salo is an even.

The whole defensive unit has played well. Don't single someone out, they've all played well in the first two games.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:58 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
I'll bet the house that Sopel isn't still a Canuck by this time next year. He will be traded in a package for another forward, or a defensive defenseman, I would like to see the lader. It makes sense since you have Koltsov, Mojzis, and even Vydarney who could possibly fill Sopel's role in the future, no time letting them just sit in Manitoba forever.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:26 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizerScotty
The whole defensive unit has played well. Don't single someone out, they've all played well in the first two games.
Throw all the stats you want. Anyone who has been watching the games knows Sopel has been horrible. How many times in the first two games has he fallen on his own? I counted 3 times last night, and at least that many against Calgary. His skating was never great for a defenseman, but this year it has been atrocious. On top of that he is still making poor decisions with the puck. I would sit him next game. Maybe he needs a wake up call.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:37 AM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
I'll bet the house that Sopel isn't still a Canuck by this time next year. He will be traded in a package for another forward, or a defensive defenseman, I would like to see the lader. It makes sense since you have Koltsov, Mojzis, and even Vydarney who could possibly fill Sopel's role in the future, no time letting them just sit in Manitoba forever.
I was thinking the same thing really. Especially if Koltsov puts some muscle on and plays well in the Moose. Sopel becomes very expendable.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:56 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
Throw all the stats you want. Anyone who has been watching the games knows Sopel has been horrible. How many times in the first two games has he fallen on his own? I counted 3 times last night, and at least that many against Calgary. His skating was never great for a defenseman, but this year it has been atrocious. On top of that he is still making poor decisions with the puck. I would sit him next game. Maybe he needs a wake up call.
Hey, maybe he just can't see through the visor! But in all seriousness, I would rather scratch him than Slegr or Allen, and I still don't know how he's kept a permanent spot on the roster...I have Ohlund in my pool and I'm worried about his +/- having to go out there with Sopel all the time.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:59 AM
jeffbrown

Sopel scares me too!

I don't understand it though. He can pass it well, shoot it hard, and handle the puck well....in the neutral and offensive zone. But it seems whenever he has it in the defensive zone, he handles it like a grenade and throws some awful backhand passes that have no force behind them and they're ripe for picking off. I am not down on Sopel, but I would have figured after 3 + years in the NHL, he would have calmed down by now. Becuase it seems like he just gets nervous....

Old
10-12-2003, 12:42 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Jovanovski will make the leap into the elite, I'm talking elite defenceman in the NHL this year IMO.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:09 PM
nazzy

I wasn't surprised that Malik sat out yesterday, from my eyes he had a hell of time trying to cover his man against Calgary and was a reason why the Canucks were hemmed in their own zone on the down low play. I was pretty impressed by Slegr, good pickup by BB.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:14 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Sopel really needs to work on his skating. Please please please take some tips from Salo or Jovo, Brent. Stop falling down all the time!

Old
10-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Peter Griffin

I think Malik's lack of foot speed was a big reason for him being scracthed against the Oilers. He should be in against the Jackets on Monday though.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:54 PM
orcatown

I agree throw out the stats. All we have to do is watch the play to see how bad Sopel is fighting it. He has been bad the whole pre-season and it's just continuing into to the year. He is very lucky Ohlund is around to bail him out.

Sopel has to keep it simple for the time being. Let his game come back to him. Maybe he didn't come to camp in the best of shape. He looks very clumpsy out there.

Thought Malik was no better than OK in the opening game. He's another that had a bad pre-season and will need to pick it up. However this is his history; slow starts and then gradual improvement through out the season As players wear down his skating disadvantage becomes less of factor. He's a big guy who doesn't wear down. One reason we got him was because he got off to a poor start in Carolina last year.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:54 PM
SedinFan*

All of you are just babies.

Sopel's played well, sure he's had his moments, yet so has Jovanovski and no one says anything.

Boooo all of you, boooooo!

Old
10-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
All of you are just babies.

Sopel's played well, sure he's had his moments, yet so has Jovanovski and no one says anything.

Boooo all of you, boooooo!
You just don't want to make a new avatar

Jovo makes some give aways, but Sopel just falls down for no reason sometimes, and at the wort possible times.

I thought Malik played well against Calgary. I only caught parts of the game yesterday, so who was playing with Jovo?

Old
10-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Canucks-R-best

our defence

is awsome.

Our team defence could be better though

Old
10-12-2003, 02:24 PM
nazzy

Sopel sucks. Enough said.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:54 PM
SedinFan*

If he's a plus player and scores 35 points then no, he doesn't suck.

If he's a minus player and scores whatever amount of points then yes, he does stink.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:00 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
Sopel sucks. Enough said.
A player in the NHL that sucks?

Isnt that an oxymoron?

Old
10-12-2003, 03:03 PM
maruk14

Quote:
If he's a minus player and scores whatever amount of points then yes, he does stink.
So then he stunk last year too :p

Old
10-12-2003, 03:12 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
So then he stunk last year too :p
Year before that, plus 20? 30 points? Did he suck then?

Old
10-12-2003, 03:21 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
I've watched and taped both games, and definitely Sopel put his foot directly into steaming piles a couple of times. But he also made some excellent defensive plays, took guys who were driving to the net off the puck, and was overall not that bad. The thing is the errors tend to stand out more because they are so glaring, and then you know if you wait long enough he'll do it again. Jovo is the same way, but people tend to cut the guy more slack because he makes such cool plays as well... though not all the time that's for sure.

Sopel actually does read the ice well, and can handle the puck, make decent outlet passes and can shoot from the point. He's still learning and so makes more than his fair share of blunders. I don't think he deserves the kind of rabid criticism he's getting, as lot's of young players make mistakes...and so do the vets. He'll get over them in time. HOwever, the hair on my floor can attest to the degree to which he can freak me out!

Old
10-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
If he's a plus player and scores 35 points then no, he doesn't suck.
He's yet to acomplish this...

Old
10-12-2003, 03:37 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Its too early to tell on how sopel fairs this year.

but yes, I watched both games, Sopel been quite bad giving up the pucks in OUR OWN ZONE!!!!

He was bailed out by Clout on that Conroy shot, and overall D and Hedberg in 2nd game..

I dont see a point trading Sopel unless we can really get a bonafie 2nd/3rd line scoring... I'd say we still keep him, for he does quite have good potential of being a consistent 40pt scoring D and a hovering around +5 to 10 overall!

Closed Thread